• 136 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by k4tzm4n (36394 posts) 7 months, 14 days ago

Poll: Comic Vine Battle of the Week VOTING: Marvel vs DC Paintball (270 votes)

Team Marvel 59%
Team DC 36%
Too close to call 5%

We have a real treat for you this week, battle junkies. We're bringing an all-new scenario your way and hopefully it'll be a blast for you to think about. Some characters who love firearms from Marvel and DC are about to take aim at one another. Which team will win the day? Well, that's completely up to you.

There's a decent amount of rules here, but honestly, it'll take you no more than a minute or two to scan through them. They're important and you don't want to look silly by making a post which clearly contradicts 'em or ask something already addressed in there, do you? Go on, get your read on and then have fun thinking about the shootout.

Oh, one more thing: a common theme I'm seeing is people complaining about popularity or how they won't vote because it won't make a difference. That couldn't be any further from the truth. Not only will your vote matter, but you also have the ability to change the tide of the poll. Complaining won't win over votes, but do you know what will? Presenting awesome arguments, scans and luring in more voters. There's 5 days for the poll to fluctuate, so if you really want a team to win, bring your A game and truly support them.

Microsoft Paint makes it seem like that could be a real cover, doesn't it?!

Comic Vine Battle of the Week Rules

• Everyone is in character.
  • Everyone is wearing standard, grey gym clothing (shorts and a t-shirt).
  • If tagged by a paintball directly, the character is eliminated and immediately teleported from the location. Elimination can also be by knockout, incapacitation or death via close combat.
  • Where are they facing-off? A large forest. Midday. Weather is not a factor. Temperature is moderate and it's not windy.
  • Teams begin 100 feet apart. Teams are somewhat visible to each other when the match starts, but seeing as they're in a forest and at that distance, there's a whole lot of cover.
  • Characters have one simple objective: defeat the enemy team by any means necessary.
  • Characters will not intentionally harm their own teammates (for example, Punisher won't shoot Bullseye), but no one is forcing them to use teamwork, either.
  • Everyone has the same kind of pistol which fires paintball rounds. However, the paintball rounds will move at the same speed and accuracy as a standard pistol round.
  • Characters can fire 21 shots before needing to reload. Each character has 10 additional magazines (assume these are weightless and will not hinder their movement).
  • Each character only has the pistol. Unless they obtain extra ammo or even a pistol from someone else, they're limited to unarmed combat (or whatever they can find in the environment -- branches and rocks, for example).
  • For simplicity's sake, pre-52 feats for the DC characters are applicable.
  • All characters are aware of how to use the weapon and the rules.
  • If you took the time to read all of these rules before diving into the voting thread, please give yourself a pat on the back. You've earned it and we're proud of you.

Team Marvel

Team DC

Viners, you have the week to research, debate and vote! This means there's no reason to vote right away if you don't have all of the info you need to make an educated decision. Check the homepage Friday for an updated article with the following:

• My extended thoughts on the match.
  • A Viner Argument in favor of the poll's winner (can't include scans and must be in the poll thread).
  • Extra thoughts from other Comic Vine staffers.
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Feel free to make future match suggestions in the comments below or via Gregg's Twitter page.

#1 Posted by Beezlebub (1864 posts) - - Show Bio

Team DC. Better shots there.

#2 Posted by RazzaTazz (9478 posts) - - Show Bio

Bull's Eye can essentially do anything with ranged weapons, to an almost superhuman level.

#3 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (881 posts) - - Show Bio

Team Marvel. You have 2 master assassins, someone who never misses, and a badass vigilante who will stop at nothing to achieve his goal.

#4 Posted by godzilla44 (2597 posts) - - Show Bio

Team DC Deadshot for MVP

#5 Posted by bladewolf (609 posts) - - Show Bio

I argue for DC for one simple reason: unpredictability. Jason Todd, Jonah Hex, and Deadshot are all borderline (or actually) insane, while Hush isn't fully right in the head. I doubt they would collaborate, but the sheer fact that they'd take actions no one could predict would be a great edge. For instance, Jonah Hex has numerous times made shots that seemed unlikely or impossible while falling, lying down, blinded, etc. and given his experience in the Old West he's a stellar gunfighter. Meanwhile, Red Hood has done some CRAZY feats involving dodging bullets and firing at difficult to hit foes (see Under The Red Hood, both comics and the animated film, for examples). Deadshot is a master marksman and is great at improvising in dire straits. Finally, Hush is no slouch himself, and is a tactical genius that I think no one from Team Marvel can remotely match.

#6 Posted by Owie (3616 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta think on this.

I might give Deadshot a slight edge over Bullseye when it comes to guns. But I think Bullseye is probably more agile and able to dodge. Plus Bullseye can always pick up rocks and whatever from the environment.

I would give Bucky the edge over Red Hood. Faster, more accurate. I assume that Bucky can use his bionics still, regardless of the "paintball guns only" rule?

Punisher and Jonah Hex...in a few Hex threads I've made, people seem to think he'd have to acclimate himself to modern weaponry and that that would put him at a disadvantage. I'm not totally sure about that, but certainly Punisher would be at least a little more familiar with the guns. Hex is a pretty awesome shot, but again Punisher is probably a fair amount better at dodging (especially forest warfare) and H2H if it came to that.

Black Widow and Hush. Hush is the only character I'm basing my guess on solely by reputation. Based on my general impression, it's possible that he is as good as Widow when it comes to shooting. But my feeling is that while he's as good or better in H2H, she's a better shot. And again probably more agile.

Of course, it doesn't have to be these matchups at all. But overall, I think the dodging edge goes to team Marvel by a reasonable amount, and possibly the marksmanship edge by a small amount. So Team Marvel FTW.

#7 Posted by k4tzm4n (36394 posts) - - Show Bio

@owie:

people seem to think he'd have to acclimate himself to modern weaponry and that that would put him at a disadvantage

I made a rule about that, just to be safe:

Staff
#8 Posted by JTMac005 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Deathstroke should be on Team DC...

#9 Posted by Wolverine08 (38535 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice one Katz!

#10 Edited by k4tzm4n (36394 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

Nice one Katz!

Thanks.

@jtmac005 said:

He's not here to keep the match as balanced as possible.

Staff
#11 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (669 posts) - - Show Bio

@jtmac005 said:

That's kinda what I was thinking. But I guess if you did that, it wouldn't really be much of a fight now would it. lol

#12 Posted by k4tzm4n (36394 posts) - - Show Bio

@jtmac005 said:

That's kinda what I was thinking. But I guess if you did that, it wouldn't really be much of a fight now would it. lol

He's left out for a reason :P

BALANCE, YO!

Staff
#13 Posted by SynCig (369 posts) - - Show Bio

For me, it comes down to Bullseye and Deadshot in the end and I give Bullseye a slight edge. This would be wildly entertaining to watch and it would most likely be really close. 6 out of 10 to Marvel.

#14 Edited by EvilPenguin543 (176 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it Bucky or Winter Soldier? That would make a huge difference.

#15 Posted by bflynn316 (625 posts) - - Show Bio

Team Marvel because of Bullseye, other than that they are even. Please don't say Deadshot is better, because Bullseye is a better shot, Deadshot just has better equipment. But most of them are even.

#16 Posted by RustyRoy (10851 posts) - - Show Bio

@jtmac005 said:

Agreed, DS would've been a better pick instead of Hush.

#17 Edited by jwalser3 (4796 posts) - - Show Bio

Bullseye carries the team on this one. He is decant in h2h and a crazy shot.

#18 Edited by k4tzm4n (36394 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@jtmac005 said:

Agreed, DS would've been a better pick instead of Hush.

Or -- and far more likely --he'd serve as the clear MVP and shift the tide noticeably in DC's favor.

Staff
#19 Posted by Doomnaut (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

Team Marvel. How can I vote against my boy Frank?

#20 Posted by leokearon (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

Team marvel have 3 Assassins (two which also have espionage skills) and an ex marine turned murderous vigilante

Team DC have a batman trained street punk, a cowboy, an assassin and a manipulative surgeon with two hand guns.

Team marvel easily win with the amount of killing expertise.

#21 Edited by jwalser3 (4796 posts) - - Show Bio

@owie said:

Gotta think on this.

I might give Deadshot a slight edge over Bullseye when it comes to guns. But I think Bullseye is probably more agile and able to dodge. Plus Bullseye can always pick up rocks and whatever from the environment.

#22 Posted by TommytheHitman (2853 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadshot's on Team DC. He's the best shot there is. Red Hood's also up there as well. Problem with Bullseye is... how does he throw a paintball without getting out himself?!

#23 Edited by Owie (3616 posts) - - Show Bio

@jwalser3: Well it's not like I think Bullseye sucks with guns or anything. Obviously Deadshot is no slouch either. I'm talking about a slight edge.

@k4tzm4n said:

@owie:

people seem to think he'd have to acclimate himself to modern weaponry and that that would put him at a disadvantage

Oops, missed that one, thanks. I'm still feeling Frank over Hex in this particular situation. Bucky still has his bionics though?

#24 Posted by Darkseid_Prime (153 posts) - - Show Bio

DUDE NOT FAIR! I'm a HUUUUGE DC fan and I had no choice here but to vote for Team Marvel. A part of me died, but that line-up from Marvel would outclass DC in this match simply because of skill. TM's crew are 75% military trained, and 100% killer badass' who hold the highest marks in their universe for human marksmanship. Team DC has the 1890's era military trained Jonah Hex, a crack shot-shoot from the hip slinger, and the other 3 highly trained marksmen on their line-up.. but not even Jason Todd (BAMF) can defeat the likes of Frank Castle (Ultimate BAMF) even with help from Hush, Deadshot and Hex, especially when Big Pun has Bucky, BW, and Bullseye behind him.

#25 Posted by k4tzm4n (36394 posts) - - Show Bio

@owie said:

@jwalser3: Well it's not like I think Bullseye sucks with guns or anything. Obviously Deadshot is no slouch either. I'm talking about a slight edge.

@k4tzm4n said:

@owie:

Oops, missed that one, thanks. I'm still feeling Frank over Hex in this particular situation. Bucky still has his bionics though?

No problem. Honestly, it totally slipped my mind while writing this. Let's say his bionic arm still grants extra strength but doesn't offer any additional abilities. Sorry for forgetting to address that :X

Staff
#26 Edited by k4tzm4n (36394 posts) - - Show Bio

@owie: Added this to the rules. Thanks for pointing it out:

• Aside from strength, Bucky's bionic arm will not grant him any additional features.

Staff
#27 Posted by Jake Fury (18116 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadshot solos!!

#28 Edited by G_leno (918 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted team Marvel simply for the overwhelming value that Bullseye brings to the team. We all know how awesome Punisher would be here too, but I don't believe he would be a trump card, just useful.

The one person that I feel would be underestimated in this battle though, is Jonah Hex. He is a good guy in these kind of fire fights, and being a cowboy makes him used to these quick draw 'starts in view of enemy' battles.

#29 Posted by TheMagicStik (1382 posts) - - Show Bio

Bulls Eye and Punisher vs Deadshot, those are the three best, so I'm going to have to give it to Marvel.

#30 Edited by Park (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel takes this mostly just because of the setting. Otherwise DC could probably swing it with Deadshot. As it is the Marvel team is more experienced with rough terrain marksmanship than the DC team who is almost exclusively based in the very urban Gotham city.

Frank got his marine training in Vietnam, and has specialized in guerrilla warfare since in his war on crime if that mean shooting up a deli in New Jersey of a mob mansion in the Catskills. Widow was trained in Russia and is tactically invisible if she wants to be. Bucky was in World War II and has fought through the barbed wire trenches and the forests of Germany.

Conversely Jason received training in marksmanship for a small amount of time before becoming competent in firearms, he's a good shot, Marvel team is made up of great shots. Jonah Hex spends most of his time in the desert or a very open early Gotham. Hush has been showed to be extremely skilled in almost all areas but let's not forget he also got punked by Alfred in hand to hand and has a limited amount of feats.

Deadshot and Bullseye are comparable with Deadshot having the slight advantage in accuracy and Bullseye have the advantage in hand to hand and agility. Remember that with paintball guns ricochet shots aren't a feasible tactic which limits Deadshot's extreme skill in the environment but give's Bullseye adamantium spine enhanced agility a lot to bounce between. This is a guy who could dodge a serious Cyclops in an open area.

#31 Posted by Owie (3616 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

• Aside from strength, Bucky's bionic arm will not grant him any additional features.

Thanks...and one final question: since they're all wearing gym clothes, does that mean Deadshot doesn't have any of his targeting gizmos in his helmet?

#32 Posted by bflynn316 (625 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadshot's on Team DC. He's the best shot there is. Red Hood's also up there as well. Problem with Bullseye is... how does he throw a paintball without getting out himself?!

Actually Bullseye is ridiculous with guns. He is much better with them than anyone here. I could probably post some scans if you need convincing.

#33 Posted by k4tzm4n (36394 posts) - - Show Bio

@owie said:

@k4tzm4n said:

Thanks...and one final question: since they're all wearing gym clothes, does that mean Deadshot doesn't have any of his targeting gizmos in his helmet?

Yes, Floyd's wearing it.

Staff
#34 Posted by vandinejd_1991 (258 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted Team Marvel mainly because of Bucky who is a good enough shot to shoot Hawkeye's arrows and Daredevil's stick out of the air. Also there's Bullseye, who never misses except when fighting Daredevil. I must admit I was tempted to vote DC simply because of Deadshot who judging from Batman: Gotham Knights and Arkham Origins have pretty impressive feats. But the others on the DC team do not match up.

#35 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19907 posts) - - Show Bio

DC Team.

Deadshot and Jonah Hex are very good shots

#36 Edited by ThePRez (275 posts) - - Show Bio

My key factor for Marvel to win is Bullseye. His name is Bullseye, his acurracy is high and deadly,

#37 Posted by godzilla44 (2597 posts) - - Show Bio

can someone show me scans of Bullseye being a better marksman than Deadshot because everybody saying that he is but I don't really believe them

#38 Posted by redhoodx (76 posts) - - Show Bio

Red hood is essentially batman with guns. These guys dodge bullets for a living, so got to go with dc. Plus deadshot can kill five people with one ricochet. Chances for marvel are slim.

#39 Posted by Mucklefluga (2510 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that Punisher's tactical mind will give Marvel the win.

#40 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6005 posts) - - Show Bio

I vote for Team marvel. they have Bullseye and Punisher.

#41 Edited by Wilbertus (306 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta hand it to DC. I mean: Deadshot, the man who never misses, Hush, the master strategist who even outwitted Batman, Red Hood, Batman's protegé + guns, and Jonah Hex, the man with the most experience. Good night team Marvel.

#42 Edited by greeneagle (156 posts) - - Show Bio

Team Marvel. Frank and Bucky are soldiers with a lot of experience in jungle warfare...this alone gives Team Marvel a huge advantage over Team DC. Plus Team DC is more likely to fight amongst themselves and not cooperate than Team Marvel.

#43 Posted by RustyRoy (10851 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

Or -- and far more likely --he'd serve as the clear MVP and shift the tide noticeably in DC's favor.

Ok, maybe DS would've been a overkill but you could've chosen someone more talented than Hush, maybe Shiva or Dick or Damian or anyone else, this one is more in Marvel's favor.

#44 Posted by k4tzm4n (36394 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@k4tzm4n said:

Ok, maybe DS would've been a overkill but you could've chosen someone more talented than Hush, maybe Shiva or Dick or Damian or anyone else, this one is more in Marvel's favor.

This is a battle where the primary weapon is supposed to be a pistol. When you think, "who rocks with a pistol?" Shiva, Grayson and Damian aren't exactly characters who come to mind. ;)

Staff
#45 Edited by JetiiMitra (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel. I'm not sure what exactly Hush and Jonah Hex bring to the team because I haven't seen scans of them in action; however, going by what everyone else has said, Hush is more of a strategist than a tactician (I don't see large-scale strategy helping here) and Jonah Hex doesn't bring much other than a western gunslinging attitude. In the meantime, Punisher is renowned for tactical ability and either Bucky or Black Widow are at least as good as Hex. I'd argue a Bullseye that's limited to guns is more or less equal to Deadshot (though both are far and away more accurate than anyone else here), but Bullseye has the added advantage of being able to ricochet via thrown paintballs, which he can use if he wants to go stealth mode (paintball guns can be pretty loud). Also, pretty much anyone on Marvel is a much better H2H fighter than DC, so any unarmed combat really shouldn't be a problem for them.

Something that hasn't really been covered by anyone is Bucky and Black Widow as a team. They work pretty well together and are the only two on either team that would be able to work together right off the bat rather than spending time figuring out what to do. Their level of cohesiveness should be a pretty large advantage for Marvel.

Just initial thoughts... I'll try and get some research on Hush and Hex done and give a better argument later.

That all said... paintballs that travel as fast as actual rounds? No armor? Everybody loses. Welts will be had for months.

#46 Posted by Shawnbaby (10403 posts) - - Show Bio

DC Team.

Deadshot and Jonah Hex are very good shots

Is there anyone here that isn't a "Very Good Shot"?

@redhoodx said:

Red hood is essentially batman with guns. These guys dodge bullets for a living, so got to go with dc. Plus deadshot can kill five people with one ricochet. Chances for marvel are slim.

By the same line of reasoning...Bucky is essentially Captain America with guns. The Marvel guys also all dodge bullets for a living. And I'd match Bullseye feat for feat with Deadshot all day long. Chances for both teams are pretty decent.

#47 Posted by RustyRoy (10851 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

This is a battle where the primary weapon is supposed to be a pistol. When you think, "who rocks with a pistol?" Shiva, Grayson and Damian aren't exactly characters who come to mind. ;)

Well Damian was highly trained in every possible weapon including pistols, so was Shiva(possibly), Dick on the other hand should be the champion in paintball lol, anyways how much was Todd trained with guns? Everyone on the Marvel team is slightly better than then the DC roster, I would've said that's only me but 60% of the voters agree with me. Nothing against you, you generally make one of the closest match ups here, I just think Team Marvel takes it 7 out of 10 times or even more.

#48 Edited by k4tzm4n (36394 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@k4tzm4n said:

Well Damian was highly trained in every possible weapon including pistols, so was Shiva(possibly), Dick on the other hand should be the champion in paintball lol, anyways how much was Todd trained with guns? Everyone on the Marvel team is slightly better than then the DC roster, I would've said that's only me but 60% of the voters agree with me. Nothing against you, you generally make one of the closest match ups here, I just think Team Marvel takes it 7 out of 10 times or even more.

My objective was to use characters who regularly use a sidearm, not just someone who knows how to. If that was the case, I could include the likes of Wolverine and more, but I wanted to keep it to characters who are known for using pistols. These seemed like the best options to me, and in my opinion, a good case can be made for either side.

Staff
#49 Posted by RustyRoy (10851 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

My objective was to use characters who regularly use a sidearm, not just someone who knows how to. If that was the case, I could include the likes of Wolverine and more, but I wanted to keep it to characters who are known for using pistols. These seemed like the best options to me, and in my opinion, a good case can be made for either side.

Okay then. Team Marvel FTW.

#50 Posted by k4tzm4n (36394 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@k4tzm4n said:

Okay then. Team Marvel FTW.

Well, hopefully a case will be made that'll make you think it's a least a tad closer ;)

Staff