Comic Vine Battle of the Week VOTING: Colossus vs. X-O Manowar

• 180 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Comic Vine Battle of the Week VOTING: Colossus vs. X-O Manowar (278 votes)

X-O Manowar 45%
Colossus 50%
Too close to call 5%

Piotr Rasputin and his raw strength and durability or Aric of Dacia and the sheer power his armor gives him? Can Valiant's powerhouse blast away the X-Men's heavy hitter or will the Marvel character dish out a major dose of pain? Look, we realize not everyone is an expert on these two characters, so that's why voting will stay open until Friday morning (ET). There's no need to vote right away if you're not sure how this would go down. That should give you plenty of time to research both characters and cast your vote, yes?

Comic Vine Battle of the Week Rules

• Random encounter.
  • Both are in character.
  • Knockout, incapacitation, BFR or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too.
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. They start roughly 30 feet apart and visible. There's a lot of cover between them (a variety of idle vehicles, bus stops, dumpster bins, benches, etc.). The entire city region is on limits (rooftops, inside buildings, alleyways, sewers, etc.).
  • It's not mandatory, but if you take time to vote, elaborating as well would be extra awesome. Keep things informative and your post could be the next Viner Argument of the Week!

Again, it would be extra cool if you could get your elaboration on as well. If you vote for a side, be sure to tell us why. Oh, and do try to remember this is just a conversation about fictional characters fighting, so keep things informative and not personal.

Viners, you have the week to research, debate and vote. This means there's no reason to vote right away if you don't have all of the info you need to make an educated decision. Check the homepage Friday for an updated article with the following:

• Thoughts from the CV staff.
  • A Viner Argument in favor of the poll's winner (can't include scans and must be in the poll thread).
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Feel free to make future match suggestions in the comments below or via Gregg's Twitter page.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I'm the first vote?!

OK, now that that's out of the way, I'm giving this one to Aric. We're talking about a man who has single-handedly destroyed a nuclear-powered submarine and an alien starship.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By bladewolf

Aric by a LANDSLIDE. Aric has one thing Colossus lacks: versatility. Sure, Colossus is strong, fairly intelligent, is impervious to most damage, and decently agile for his size and weight, but Aric has all that and more. Aric's armor has a varied arsenal, including ranged weaponry. Furthermore, the fact that Aric can fly, at high speed no less, gives him not only the ability to dodge Colossus's attacks, but also will make his assaults all the more deadly and unpredictable (since, after all, Force = Mass x Acceleration, so if Aric flies fast AND punches Colossus, it'll hit like ten tons of bricks).

Aric's mindset is another thing that gives him the edge. Peter, while a tough guy, also has a softer heart. Aric is a brutal barbarian, and won't hesitate to go for a kill right from the start, the same of which I don't think can be said for Peter. Furthermore, while Peter is tough, Aric was literally born in the midst of a war, and trained his entire childhood to be a warrior before facing the Roman Legions, the strongest army at the time.

Overall, I've got to give it to X-O Manowar.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I'm tempted to say Aric via BRF but his arrogance might get the better of him

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 k4tzm4n  Moderator

I'm tempted to say Aric via BRF but his arrogance might get the better of him

Yeah, hoping people take in character into account and realize X-O keeping out of reach and blasting the entire time isn't in character for him.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Aw two powerhouses I know nothing about. Guess I can't vote on this debate :(

Lol jks I'm gonna look these guys up. I know a bit about Colossus anyway so only Aric requires extensive research.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

A calm soldier wielding the X-O armor should win every time. Aric is no such soldier. He is brash and arrogant who would rush head on into the battle without thinking to analyze the options until part way through the battle. That said, I still think that Aric would take this one on a majority. The armor has been shown to be able to take an inordinate amount of damage and he should be able to take a few shots from Piotr before he comes up with an actual plan for victory. The speed and flight that the armor gives him would be the biggest advantage for Aric. I think that after a few shots, Piotr would have a hard time getting his hands on Aric. I think this would be a long battle because both can sustain so much damage, but the armor would be too much for Piotr in the end.

Aric in a close one.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CheeseSticks

Really? This is nearly a stomp. Colossus is one of my favorite character, but he get stomped here. Aric's armor gives him super- strength. I don't know in ton strength, but Livewire, with the armor, intercepted a nuclear missile( i think it was nuclear) with her hands. I guess that makes the armor at least 80 tons. Someone with a better knowledge on Aric's armor could explain better.

This already makes it a difficult fight for Colossus. Add flight, blast power, force field, energy sword and 360 vision at all time and this is pretty easy for Aric to win.

Also, Aric has an energy sword that has proven to cut many durable things. I remember Colossus changing back to his human self when Warpath cut him with his knife. That could happen here.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dondave

Colossus ftw

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dondave

@cheesesticks said:

Really? This is nearly a stomp. Colossus is one of my favorite character, but he get stomped here. Aric's armor gives him super- strength. I don't know in ton strength, but Livewire, with the armor, intercepted a nuclear missile( i think it was nuclear) with her hands. I guess that makes the armor at least 50 tons. This already makes it a difficult fight for Colossus. Add flight, blast power, force field, energy sword and 360 vision at all time and this is pretty easy for Aric to win.

Also, Aric has an energy sword that has proven to cut many durable things. I remember Colossus changing back to his human self when Warpath cut him with his knife. That could happen here.

Livewire makes the suit more powerful just by being in it, her feats aren't transferable to Aric. Also IIRC Warpath's knives are made from Vibranium, it's not a low showing if they cut Piotr.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Really? This is nearly a stomp. Colossus is one of my favorite character, but he get stomped here. Aric's armor gives him super- strength. I don't know in ton strength, but Livewire, with the armor, intercepted a nuclear missile( i think it was nuclear) with her hands. I guess that makes the armor at least 50 tons. This already makes it a difficult fight for Colossus. Add flight, blast power, force field, energy sword and 360 vision at all time and this is pretty easy for Aric to win.

Few things.

1) Livewire shutdown the nuclear missile thanks to her abilities. Her feat required zero strength.

2) Eternal Warrior's sword held up against Aric's, so there's no reason to believe it would cleave through him. Warpath's knife is vibanium, Aric's isn't.

3) I'm fine with you thinking Aric wins, but care to show me feats which prove he can take punches from Colossus with ease? Because, as someone who loves the character, I can't say I've seen any.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@k4tzm4n: exactly, there's a reason Etrnal Warrior and Ninjak have gave Aric problems before. He's like a caveman with a shotgun, all that power but he didn't know how do use it properly.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: @k4tzm4n:Oh, my bad. I was writing quick before going to my class, i didn't check before writing the Livewire thing. It was based on memory. I'll dig into research later tonight. I'm pretty sure i can find super-strength scan for Aric.

Sifighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

I voted for X-0 manowar simply based off the fact that his powers are not broken. As long he wears the suit he is super powerful but Colossus has to wear his uniform to keep his powers from fluctuating out of control as shown in Cable and the X-force. So yeah, I'm going with Aric on this one.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@cheesesticks said:

@dondave: @k4tzm4n:Oh, my bad. I was writing quick before going to my class, i didn't check before writing the Livewire thing. It was based on memory. I'll dig into research later tonight. I'm pretty sure i can find super-strength scan for Aric.

Aric has plenty showings of super-strength, but we've yet to see him take a punch from someone as strong as Colossus. I just strongly disagree it's a stomp for X-O if he wins.

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm going to hold off on this one and wait until later in the week.

I need to see some people argue for both Colossus and Aric and add it to my own research before I come to a final decision.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 k4tzm4n  Moderator

I voted for X-0 manowar simply based off the fact that his powers are not broken. As long he wears the suit he is super powerful but Colossus has to wear his uniform to keep his powers from fluctuating out of control as shown in Cable and the X-force. So yeah, I'm going with Aric on this one.

I forgot to add it to the rules: Colossus' power will not fluctuate. Sorry, I'll update.

Avatar image for oy_the_billy_bumbler
Oy_the_Billy_Bumbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@cosmicallyaware1, thought you might want to get in on this after reading your CaV with Kidman. It looks like Colossus is getting wrecked right now and could use some support.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@cosmicallyaware1, thought you might want to get in on this after reading your CaV with Kidman. It looks like Colossus is getting wrecked right now and could use some support.

No, he's winning by 10%.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was hoping for X-O man of War vs War Machine.

Avatar image for oy_the_billy_bumbler
Oy_the_Billy_Bumbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Ah I see. I haven't voted yet so I couldn't see the vote count. I'm waiting to see what some people say here before I do, because I've only read a little of Valiant. I was going by the comments that it looks like XO is getting most of the support, so I wanted to see Colossus get some love. Nice to hear that it's a close match.

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I have to say X-O Manowar to this.

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Thanks for the tag, I didn't know this was happening!!!!!!

Now, as far as how I would vote??? Hmmmmmm. I initially want to say X-O due to versatility, but the more I think about it, colossus has the durability to stand up to most of what Aric's putting out

and the real question then is can Aric/X-O armor take what Peter can dish out??? I am familiar with X-O and have the majority of Valiant stuff from 90's. Can't recall any serious high end feats specifically tanking damage from somebody that's in the 90-100 tonner range. But I could be wrong.......

So all in all I would put my vote up for Colossus here

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#23 god_spawn  Moderator

I'll back Colossus for debate purposes. I just want to clear up that Colossus' personality hinders him. I don't necessarily believe it does. Colossus is a soldier when it comes down to it. The man's ran through simulations for years. For a big man, he's a decent fighter and has held up against people that outclass him physically, at least for a time, such as Gladiator, Rulk, Hulk, etc. Some of Marvel's best powerhouses. Even Thor has recognized Colossus' ferocity in battle. The best way to put Colossus in battle for me is the guy is a calm storm. Colossus is more cool and level headed when he fights, but that doesn't mean he doesn't possession a fire when in battle.

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont know anything about X-O Man o War besides what i saw on here and what fellow viner arguments state and based and based off of this im gonna go with Colossous. So far i gather, Man O War's pilot is Brash and Arrogant, Formidable in Hand to Hand and the suit gives him enhanced strength which is vague but powerful enough to physically stop a nuclear misslr which i have researched and the heaviest weight of one i found is at 42,000 pounds or 21 tons. The weight of nuclear missles vary and range from 2 tons to at least 21 tons. By this form of measurement would place Man o war above that to stop it.Theoretically on his best day. Man o war will probally have no where near the strength to Bench 100 tons, This is the level of strength colossous is at. Unless resorting to battke field removal it dosent appear to me that Man o war will be able to physically hurt colossous. Colossous is also pretty skilled at Hand to Hand combat too. In my opinion, I think Colossoss will defeat Man o war with Medium difficulty.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#25 god_spawn  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: I just wanted to clear up that Colossus reverted back to human form because of the vibranium knife's properties against metal, not because he was cut. Otherwise, when he was opened up by Riptide, Wolverine, the Dreaming Celestial's probe, etc, then he would have reverted back to human form. He's remained metal form while being pierced on a few occasions.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dondave

To be honest there's no guarantee that Aric could even hurt Colossus let alone defeat him, he's only faced humans and featless aliens, there's nothing to suggest he could put down anyone as durable or as strong as Colossus.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a good fight...

copete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By copete

Colossus could tank anything from XO-Manowar. In Uncanny X-Men vol.2 Uncanny X-Men #1 - Everything is Sinister, before summoning the use of the Juggernaut powers, he took a blast from a Celestial and survived and was conscious!!! Now that's impressive. As a fully grown adult, he has destroyed very durable Nimrods with single punches, tosses Sentinel heads like they are footballs, and stood toe to toe with Hulk and Juggernaut and held his own. He had his way with She Hulk and took blasts from Ironman before dropping him. Didn't he also open the gates of hell iirc, Dr.Strange, was not able to himself.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Ok one of my favorite X-Men vs my favorite Valiant character. Piotr is incredibly durable and strong, his raw strength is not easy to match and with the setting in a generic city with items in the way such as cars and what not that will give Colossus a lot of options too play with as far as chucking small cars lamp posts and large pieces of building and concrete to make up for the immediate advantage that Aric has, which is ranged fighting. Aric has his blasts from his suit that will still give him an advantage in that regard, I do believe Piotr is durable enough to tank a few of those blasts.

Aric will also have the advantage in speed not only can he fly, but he can also move incredibly fast, and his reaction speed was insane when he fought the invading armies in Unity and the first Unity squad, where it was stated XO was faster than anything they have measured. He flies and tears through ships and hordes of enemies with ease, even without the armor Aric is a great h2h combatant and was trained by the Eternal Warrior. The only downfall is Aric shows the tendency to lose his temper, and he lets it get the best of him at times. The Armor has a healing ability and can tank a most of what Piotr can dish out.

IMO Aric would take the win eventually, Colossus while formidable is limited in forms of attack, and the XO Manowar Armor gives Aric a lot of artillery and versatility in this fight.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@copete said:

Colossus could tank anything from XO-Manowar. In Uncanny X-Men vol.2 Uncanny X-Men #1 - Everything is Sinister, before summoning the use of the Juggernaut powers, he took a blast from a Celestial and survived and was conscious!!! Now that's impressive. As a fully grown adult, he has destroyed very durable Nimrods with single punches, tosses Sentinel heads like they are footballs, and stood toe to toe with Hulk and Juggernaut and held his own. He had his way with She Hulk and took blasts from Ironman before dropping him. Didn't he also open the gates of hell iirc, Dr.Strange, was not able to himself.

To be fair the blast ripped open his chest

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: To be fair he has gotten so much better handling the armor to the point where even when he is not in it he has control over it

copete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:

@copete said:

To be fair the blast ripped open his chest

LOL ya it did, but he still survived it and how many people can say the lived to tell that story?

Baltoro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Baltoro

Basically since Colossus is able to throw Wolverine to orbit which requires the escape velocity of around 25,000 mph...I see him winning this by throwing objects at XO at > Mach 25 speeds. He also has pinpoint accuracy with his throws. When he manages to get close he'll stay on XO for the KO, Colossus is a very strategic brick.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok one of my favorite X-Men vs my favorite Valiant character. Piotr is incredibly durable and strong, his raw strength is not easy to match and with the setting in a generic city with items in the way such as cars and what not that will give Colossus a lot of options too play with as far as chucking small cars lamp posts and large pieces of building and concrete to make up for the immediate advantage that Aric has, which is ranged fighting. Aric has his blasts from his suit that will still give him an advantage in that regard, I do believe Piotr is durable enough to tank a few of those blasts.

Aric will also have the advantage in speed not only can he fly, but he can also move incredibly fast, and his reaction speed was insane when he fought the invading armies in Unity and the first Unity squad, where it was stated XO was faster than anything they have measured. He flies and tears through ships and hordes of enemies with ease, even without the armor Aric is a great h2h combatant and was trained by the Eternal Warrior. The only downfall is Aric shows the tendency to lose his temper, and he lets it get the best of him at times. The Armor has a healing ability and can tank a most of what Piotr can dish out.

IMO Aric would take the win eventually, Colossus while formidable is limited in forms of attack, and the XO Manowar Armor gives Aric a lot of artillery and versatility in this fight.

Aric hasn't faced anyone near as strong as Piotr, how can you gauge that he can tank what Colossus can dish out.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By micah007123

Everyone thinks once Colossus closes the distance between him and X-O he will pound him into submission. When the distance does close X-O CAN trade punches with Colossus and with the combat info his armors HUD provides and tactics options he will be able to hang in their and could catch colossus of guard. He has taken on Warriors as skilled as Ninjak and Eternal Warrior and has defeated both

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baltoro said:

Basically since Colossus is able to throw Wolverine to orbit which requires the escape velocity of around 25,000 mph...I see him winning this by throwing objects at XO at > Mach 25 speeds. He also has pinpoint accuracy with his throws. When he manages to get close he'll stay on XO for the KO, Colossus is a very strategic brick.

And what's stopping Aric from blowing the objects that Colossus throw at him?

Baltoro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah said:

Everyone thinks once Colossus closes the distance between him and X-O he will pound him into submission. When the distance does close X-O CAN trade punches with Colossus and with the combat info his armors HUD provides and tactics options he will be able to hang in their and could catch colossus of guard. He has taken on Warriors as skilled as Ninjak and Eternal Warrior and has defeated both

No Caption Provided

He's not tanking that. There's no way XO can hang in h2h with Colossus...come on, be realistic here. Armor and tactics isn't going to make up for Colossus being way stronger and going all out berserk against him. He better just keep his distance so Colossus doesn't splatter him.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By micah007123

@baltoro: Colossus can go Berserk all he wants. Do you think Aric has not fought muscle-bound monsters, he's a BARBARIAN he is used to fighting Berserking guys all day. Of course Colossus is far stronger but strength means nothing when your opponent is used to that kind of fighting style and can outfight you all day

Baltoro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Baltoro

@micah said:

@baltoro: Colossus can go Berserk all he wants. Do you think Aric has not fought muscle-bound monsters, he's a BARBARIAN he is used to fighting Berserking guys all day. Of course Colossus is far stronger but strength means nothing when your opponent is used to that kind of fighting style and can outfight you all day

XO Manowar is being massively overrated in terms of fighting skills. He's been outfought fairly easily and was grabbed then KOed by big slow robots with superstrength. Colossus is a much faster and better fighter with way higher strength level than Aric has dealt with before.

This is one of the issues when a newer character shows up. People tend to overrate them. Colossus is the time-tested combatant here, I don't see how XO Manowar puts him down let alone tanks a punch from him. Sorry.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baltoro: Well for one he's not a new character he has been around since the 90's unless your referring to him getting a popularity boost since the relaunch. The trauma that that the armor has withstood put's him in range of withstanding punches from colossus

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: Ah I see. I haven't voted yet so I couldn't see the vote count. I'm waiting to see what some people say here before I do, because I've only read a little of Valiant. I was going by the comments that it looks like XO is getting most of the support, so I wanted to see Colossus get some love. Nice to hear that it's a close match.

Scratch that, X-O's now in the lead, haha.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By dondave

@micah said:

@baltoro: Well for one he's not a new character he has been around since the 90's unless your referring to him getting a popularity boost since the relaunch. The trauma that that the armor has withstood put's him in range of withstanding punches from colossus

He hasn't faced anyone near as strong as Colossus, what makes you say he's handled anywhere near the same level of trauma?

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#45  Edited By Fallschirmjager

If anyone needs information about Aric: X-O Manowar Respect thread

@baltoro said:

@micah said:

XO Manowar is being massively overrated in terms of fighting skills. He's been outfought fairly easily and was grabbed then KOed by big slow robots with superstrength. Colossus is a much faster and better fighter with way higher strength level than Aric has dealt with before.

This is one of the issues when a newer character shows up. People tend to overrate them. Colossus is the time-tested combatant here, I don't see how XO Manowar puts him down let alone tanks a punch from him. Sorry.

You shouldn't link scans you don't understand the context of (not that I'm surprised)

That character he's fighting isn't new. He's the Eternal Warrior - aka the guy who's lived for 5,000 years and spent all of it fighting.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

X-O STOMPS.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: He's fought guys in similar armor with all of his abilities and a multitude of different explosions ranging from small to nuclear

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: Can you note any instances of X-O doing anything to justify him being able to trade punches with Colossous?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah said:

@dondave: He's fought guys in similar armor with all of his abilities and a multitude of different explosions ranging from small to nuclear

His armour isn't as strong as Colossus, not to to mention the people in the armour were weaker than him, hence why they wanted the suit in the first place.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By dondave