Comic Vine Battle of the Week VOTING!: Batman/Katana vs TMNT (Animated Versions!)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Comic Vine Battle of the Week VOTING!: Batman/Katana vs TMNT (Animated Versions!) (164 votes)

Team Beware the Batman (Batman/Katana) 33%
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello, Michelangelo) 62%
Too close to call 5%

It's time for the segment's FIRST animated battle! This week, we're pitting great heroes from two modern shows against one another and it's going to be a blast. Both teams have already faced a big variety of enemies, but which side will earn the win when they'e forced to duke it out? Will Master Splinter's team triumph thanks to their numbers advantage or do Batman and Katana have the skill and resources needed to claim the victory? Well, that's entirely up to you. Yes, you, so go ahead and read all of the rules to see how and where the fight's going down. Once you've done that, cast your vote and get your debate on!

We understand not everyone's knowledgeable on both teams, so please keep in mind you have all week to vote. Seriously, the poll's open until Friday morning (ET), so there's no need to vote right away. Go ahead and conduct your own research or read the arguments which will be made for both sides. Odds are you can catch episodes through Video On Demand or purchase episodes via sources like iTunes or Amazon. If you do know both teams well enough, let us know who you think should win and why. Impress us enough and you just may earn the Viner Argument of the Week spot in Friday's update (post must be free of scans and video clips). You can't put that accomplishment on your resume, but it's still a pretty darn satisfying award.

Comic Vine Battle of the Week Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • Characters have standard gear.
  • Knockout, incapacitation or death all count as elimination. Tactical retreat counts as a loss, too.
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. They start roughly 30 feet apart and visible. There's a fair amount of cover between them (parked vehicles, bus stops and such). The entire city region is on limits. Seeing as this is a "generic" city and not New York or Gotham, Batman/Katana are not in communication with Alfred, nor do they have access to their vehicles.
  • Feats from the BEWARE THE BATMAN and TMNT: NEW ANIMATED ADVENTURES comic books can be used in the debate as well.
  • It's not mandatory, but if you take time to vote, elaborating as well would be extra awesome. Keep things informative and your post could be the next Viner Argument of the Week!

Again, it would be extra cool if you could get your elaboration on as well. If you vote for a side, be sure to tell us why! Oh, and do try to remember this is just a conversation about fictional characters fighting, so keep things informative and not personal.

Viners, you have the week to research, debate and vote! This means there's no reason to vote right away if you don't have all of the info you need to make an educated decision. Check the homepage Friday for an updated article with the following:

• My extended thoughts on the match.
  • A Viner Argument in favor of the poll's winner (can't include scans and must be in the poll thread).
  • Extra thoughts from other Comic Vine staffers.
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Feel free to make future match suggestions in the comments below or via Gregg's Twitter page.

• 
Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I have to appreciate your creativity in making these battles Katz. This is a sick matchup! I'll have to go through the Beware the Batman episodes to refresh my knowledge on Katana and Batman before I give my argument.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 k4tzm4n  Moderator
Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Going with the Turtles here. I'll elaborate later. Great match-up! I predicted it though :P

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 k4tzm4n  Moderator
Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

@k4tzm4n said:

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek: Congrats. Everyone else was guessing Batman vs. Spider-Man.

Also, thanks.

There's almost no situation where Batman vs. Spider-Man would be a fair battle, and using the fact that Terry already squared off against Miles, it would have been a bit redundant. From there it wasn't that hard to deduce an animated fight involving Batman. Nonetheless, it's an interesting match-up.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I automatically want to vote TMNT but I haven't really watched Beware, I mean I could study up on some episodes but MAN I do not want to watch that show.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I haven't watched Beware but the Turtles are already a formidable fighting team. It depends on what Batman's skill feats are against high tier martial artists.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

the TMNT get my vote. We've seen time and time again that they are very good at working as a team, they know each other on such a level, that they can make up for one of their brothers if they're lacking in a certain area. Batman and Katana on the other hand, while they train together, they don't have nearly the same level of teamwork. Add the fact that the turtles are faster, more agile and better at adapting to threat levels, I give them the victory.

Ps, Great match as usual Katz!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@jonny_anonymous said:

I automatically want to vote TMNT but I haven't really watched Beware, I mean I could study up on some episodes but MAN I do not want to watch that show.

Aw, you should at least give one episode an honest chance before totally writing it off!

@lvenger said:

I haven't watched Beware but the Turtles are already a formidable fighting team. It depends on what Batman's skill feats are against high tier martial artists.

Hopefully some good arguments will be made for team BtB or at least a few impressive clips will be posted.

@the_stegman said:

the TMNT get my vote. We've seen time and time again that they are very good at working as a team, they know each other on such a level, that they can make up for one of their brothers if they're lacking in a certain area. Batman and Katana on the other hand, while they train together, they don't have nearly the same level of teamwork. Add the fact that the turtles are faster, more agile and better at adapting to threat levels, I give them the victory.

Ps, Great match as usual Katz!

Thanks!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Yea I watched the first two eps but I really wasn't in to it

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I tried watching TMNT and didn't like it at all... I like the 2004 version a lot better than this new one...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried watching TMNT and didn't like it at all... I like the 2004 version a lot better than this new one...

True the 2004 version is superior but for what it's worth, this show still manages to be fun without being too campy and dramatic enough without going to many dark areas.

Spydey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Spydey

I'm going with turtles. They're skilled enough as a unit to take down these two.

This is actually my favorite series. I was never a fan of the 03/04 turtles. Just felt like Leonardo & Co. And I didn't feel like they were teenagers, either.

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@lcazt1996 said:

True the 2004 version is superior but for what it's worth, this show still manages to be fun without being too campy and dramatic enough without going to many dark areas.

I tried watching the first few episodes and thought it was just too... "young" for me. And I'm probably younger than most people here (17). Then again, I've gotten into a habit of watching rather dramatic shows lately (Doctor Who, Sherlock, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, Merlin, etc.) so maybe that's just what I prefer. xD

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lvenger

@lcazt1996: Fair enough, sounds like you've found what you're into. Doctor Who and Sherlock are the two I look forward to the most.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 owie  Moderator

I'm going to wait and see more arguments before I vote, but my impression from a few Beware episodes is that Batman is way less skilled in that series than he is in his previous animated shows, let alone in the comics. I mean, Alfred talked smack to him about how many moves it took Bruce to take him down in a training scenario. Katana seems fairly good, but again not necessarily as good as the comics. Whereas my impression from a few TMNT episodes (which are way more entertaining) is that they are not obviously less skilled than they are in their current standard comics run. Which is to say they're good, but nowhere near Shredder- or Splinter- good.

All together, I can't see either Katana or Batman being able to take down two of the Turtles each. Granted that Batman has his utility belt. But I would think the Turtles would win here.

mightypug78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek: go to deathbattle at a website called screwattack, they did a batman vs. spiderman episode, very cool to watch

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@owie: I agree Batman's hand-to-hand abilities left a lot to be desired early on, but he's improved quite a lot over the season and has utilized some great gear. Hopefully others will be able to elaborate as the debate progresses.

desmond006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By desmond006

unfortunately I have only seen 5 or 6 episodes of tmnt and and even less episodes of beware the batman.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Have Batman and Katana actually worked together in a fight in the series? I can't remember if they did. I would give it to the Turtles simply because of their teamwork together but I want to wait until somebody who watches Beware the Batman makes a claim for Batman and Katana

greenlucario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Definitely.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Have Batman and Katana actually worked together in a fight in the series? I can't remember if they did. I would give it to the Turtles simply because of their teamwork together but I want to wait until somebody who watches Beware the Batman makes a claim for Batman and Katana

Yup, they have multiple times.

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, I would say Batman/Katana but the show just started and they haven't really had a chance to show all their skills, but from the most intense fights they've had so far (against Silver Monkey, Lady Shiva and Anarchy) they've showed that they can hold up pretty well... I think, I can't remember that well (hey, it's been a couple months by now, for all I know CN could be trying to cancel the show) but I do remind that Silver Monkey and Lady Shiva are supposed to be some pretty impressive fighters, but Batman took them down pretty easily... so either Batman's got some sick skills or they got nerfed as hell...

Either way I think the deciding factor in this fight will be the team work, and going by that I'm gonna have to say Batman and Katana. I know, the Turtles are way more of a team than they are, but in this version the Turtles are a lot younger than we're usually used to (I mean, it's probably the first iteration of them where they're actually teenagers, all the other versions should've been called "Young Adult Mutant Ninja Turtles"... not as catchy though...), and while this doesn't really affect their skills as fighters (in fact, they're pretty damn impressive) but in more than one episode they've showed to be pretty far from being in sync with eachother, coming out of disagreement and uncoordination (again, teenagers) that is used to enfatuate whatever lesson they gotta learn each week so they can get their act together by the end and save the day... but I don't think with Batman they're gonna have the chance to do that, ever since that scene in the first episode where he pops his dislocated shoulder back in position I knew this Batman is pretty goddamn hardcore, and it shows when fighting, he's pretty agressive and commanding, and when he's with Katana in battle she doesn't really seem to slow him down, I mean, I know her character has a tendency of being pretty stubborn, but I think that by the latest episodes she showed to be more obedient of Batman, so I'm gonna lean more towards Batman and Katanna for now... again, both shows are on hold and I got a pretty crappy memory...

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AllStarSuperman

I only watched one episode of Beware the Batman, so I gotta do some research

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By frozenedge2

@k4tzm4n: Okay because I can't remember if I ever saw them work together. Great match-up by the way katz. Should definitely be a great battle between these six

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 k4tzm4n  Moderator
Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i know nothing of this batman

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: So when do you think all these Old Hob references in TMNT will pay off?

Avatar image for venomoushatred1001
venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spydey said:

I'm going with turtles. They're skilled enough as a unit to take down these two.

This is actually my favorite series. I was never a fan of the 03/04 turtles. Just felt like Leonardo & Co. And I didn't feel like they were teenagers, either.

You get brownie points for this statement.

Avatar image for venomoushatred1001
venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see why everyone likes the 03 Turtles so much. It was basically about Leonardo. It should have been renamed Leonardo And The TMNT.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Not abig fan of Beware, so I'm voting TMNT.

Avatar image for shallbecomeabattoo
Shallbecomeabattoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman. Even on his own. He is still Batman, animated or not. He takes this. Relatively easy even.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for Team BtB. This is hard though because the Turtles have been taking on mutants and robots while Batman has been taking on master Martial Artists. I honestly haven't seen that show much, but before shredders goons (who were pros at fighting) mutated the Turtles did struggle to beat them. But I don't know how skilled they were in comparison to the League of Shadows. And Batman beat Silver Monkey at first appearance. And bested Shiva in their second encounter (who is arguably a rival to Shredder himself). Let's also not forget that Batman and Katana are more experienced than the Turtles, and don't get distracted the way the Turtles do (Donny over April and tech, Mikey just being goofy, or Raph getting stupid angry, which can hinder their team work)

And just for fun, Batman has shown himself more than capable of taking on the simplest goons without breaking a sweat.

http://worldsfinestonline.com/WF/bewarebatman/episodes/05broken/clip1.mov

EvilPenguin543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman and Katana. Why? Because he's Batman!

Just kidding. I think Team TMNT takes this one. They have years of experience fighting together and training as a team, whereas Batman and Katana have only been working as a team for a little while. Also, the Beware the Batman version of Batman isn't as skilled as other versions of him, so the four turtles could take him out, though it would be difficult.

Katana has the skills to be a threat to the turtles, as she has infiltrated the League of Assassins and had some training with them. If it came to a sword vs. sword fight, Leo could easily beat Katana. Leo basically grew up with a sword(s) in his hands. Leo has been shown to have the skill level to defeat Karai, someone who is stronger than Katana.

The landscape is one more familiar to the Turtles than Batman/Katana. Batman usually operates in a city with few people around, and even then he tends to drive his Batmobile (which is not available to him here) and fight in the streets. The Turtles are used to running (and skateboarding) on rooftops and know how to utilize that to their advantage.

Team TMNT wins this fight, though Batman and Katana will be no pushovers.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

B/K

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 owie  Moderator

@k4tzm4n said:

@owie: I agree Batman's hand-to-hand abilities left a lot to be desired early on, but he's improved quite a lot over the season and has utilized some great gear. Hopefully others will be able to elaborate as the debate progresses.

Well that's good to know. Honestly one reason I stopped watching was because of Batman's lackluster abilities. Hopefully some people can flush out his feats since then.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@owie said:

@k4tzm4n said:

Well that's good to know. Honestly one reason I stopped watching was because of Batman's lackluster abilities. Hopefully some people can flush out his feats since then.

Yeah, really hoping a debate will break out.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this batman is actually very skilled and fast

Loading Video...

and uses gadgets really well

Loading Video...

arw1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went with the Turtles for a few reasons. They work together well as a team, they've been taught by Splinter all of their lives, and they're mutants. You have a well-polished team going up against a Batman who's not well-polished and Katana who is an able fighter. I think the Turtles would win this.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Need to finish up on the last two episodes pf Beware the Batman, but I think Batman and Katana can win this.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jashro44

Anyone have some feats for the turtles?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although I lack Batman and Katana knowledge, I still feel the Turtles take a solid majority. Yes Batman is probably more skilled than any individual Turtle but together, the Turtles definitely have teamwork chemistry and experience cooperating. They bicker and argue, it's true but at the end of the day, they work together to get the job done. Batman and Katana don't have that level of cohesiveness so they already lose out there. Furthermore, if it comes down to it, I think Leo can handle Katana on his own given that he's just barely beaten Karai, a very skilled sword fighter whilst the rest of the Turtles gang up on Batman. Coupled with their superior physicals and adjustment to fighting in a city environment and I believe this will give them an edge over Batman and Katana.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

This will remain open for 2 more days. Plenty of time for both sides to drop feats. Help spread the word!

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batman because batman

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had to go with TMNT this time. Beware the Batman seems to get hurt more then the common Batman we know and while Katana is good i dont think she can beat Leo.

A functioning TMNT team vs a Batman that can be injured seems like good chances for TMNT

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 k4tzm4n  Moderator

One day left to vote. Time for closing arguments, people!

VenomRulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think TMNT wins. They're agile and pretty durable too. The weakest link is Michelangelo since he gets distracted quickly.

But even he's a force to be reckoned with. And when they work together they dominate! I'm not saying this fight is a stomp though.