Comic Vine Battle of the Week Results: Marvel vs. DC Dodgeball

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The latest scenario, a fun 4v4 game of dodbeball between Marvel and DC, was an insanely close race! For the longest time, the poll was actually tied. One team would take a minor edge every now and then, but it would always bump back to even. So, do we have our second battle which is simply too close to call? Unfortunately for team DC, no. At the last minute, Marvel took a bit of an edge, earning the very slim majority out of 415 votes.

Best use of MS Paint yet, right?!
Best use of MS Paint yet, right?!

Captain America, Hawkeye, Elektra and Deadpool are walking away as winners after this epic and intense game, taking 45% of the votes. Batman, Nightwing, Green Arrow and Harley Quinn gave it their all and victory was just barely out of their reach as they received 44% of the votes. An understandable 11% said this is too close to call. This was so close because, ultimately, it boiled down to physicals against teamwork (for the most part, that is). While Captain America is disputably the MVP (thanks to his physicals, sheer amount of accuracy/ricochet feats and tactical mind) and would by no measure be easy to eliminate, Batman and Nightwing's years of chemistry and teamwork simply can't be ignored, either. It's for that reason I think this has the potential to go either way, but alas, the people have spoken and team Marvel wins!

There were a lot of great posts for this battle and this week we're highlighting a concise argument for Marvel from the Viner, thevagrantking.

"I think this match goes to Captain America, as much as I dislike the guy. Everyone else, sure, they're factors, but this is Cap's GAME. Throwing objects that ricochet to hit targets, and he's allowed to BLOCK using said objects to defend himself? And the opposing team is going to throw those objects back at him? He's got the best physicals, a teammate who he's worked with extensively (Hawkeye), and the DC squad is a team that relies a -little- too much on sneaky tactics. Every time someone throws a ball at Cap, there's going to be that ball deflected right back at them, and then a second that's been bounced off two walls and a light fixture to be coming right behind you.

Cap playing dodgeball is like facing Bullseye in target practice. It's just his game."

Seeing as it was so close, here's a key argument for team DC from the Viner, CitizenBane.

"No one here has any kind of dodging advantage over anyone. Dodging bullets on a regular basis means dodging balls isn't going to be hard. The key to winning isn't just dodging, throwing and hoping for a lucky break; it's going to be the ability to maneuver and create opportunities to knock people out. It's why putting Batman and Nightwing on the same team gives an edge to the DC team, because they have the advantage of years of experience and familiarity with each other's moves on their side. I'm not talking about how Batman knows Ollie's routines since they've worked together or how Cap knows Hawkeye's routines for the same reason. I'm talking about how Bruce and Dick honed their skills together, practicing co-operative dodges and strikes a thousand times a day, day in and day out for years until they instinctively knew how their partner would react to a situation and how to turn a disadvantage into a commanding position.

Their tactics and routines, and focus at pulling off those routines rare more ingrained than anyone else in this competition. Elektra throws a ball at Nightwing, but she hasn't just thrown a ball at Nightwing, she's given Batman the opening to strike her. Cap throws a ball at Batman and he'll redirect so Nightwing can spike it at his face, and no one ever sees it coming because the Duo's been doing these tricks until they became second nature. It gives them a pretty serious advantage if you ask me, enough that the duo could knock out two or three contenders on the opposite team by themselves. Toss in the fact that Deadpool in character will likely get socked in the head by pretty much everyone."

Comic Vine writer, Jen 'MissJ' Aprahamian, also chimed in on this week's fun battle!

"Galactus eats the court while training for his own match. Marvel wins."

No Caption Provided

There's no teaser for next week's battle because... well, we're still working on it! Coming up with a balanced, interesting and hopefully refreshing battle every week isn't an easy task, so we'll be generating more and more ideas over the weekend to make sure there's an extra awesome one on the homepage for you next Monday.

Previous 'Comic Vine Battle of the Week' results

Want to suggest a Battle of the Week? Feel free to comment below or send it to Gregg via Twitter. It doesn't have to be Marvel or DC!

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

This was the best match idea CV has ever done. Vs. Dodgeball needs to get its own section! Like CV dodgeball of the week or something :P

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

HAHA, I had no idea what to vote here.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Batman with his enhanced human physicals, combined with the teamwork advantage he has with Nightwing gives DC a win in my book....

Crazy_Wilhelm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, this is a really close to call showdown. I still think Batman plus Nightwing takes it, but it's so close that advantages are nearly meaningless; it'll boil down to luck with dodgeball, since they're all so dang good.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AlKusanagi

Dodging bullets is far easier than dodging dodgeballs! They're like 1/100 the size!!!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

A really close match up that even with the teamwork edge DC had wouldn't be a clear win for either team.

CuddlyPlane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Little known fact... Captain America has been the Dodgeball champion for the last 74 years

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cuddlyplane: Exactly, he was probably the American Dodgeball Association of America MVP lol!

This was a great idea, really fun

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shazam117: Cap and Patches O'Houlihan were good buddies back in the day!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was the best match idea CV has ever done. Vs. Dodgeball needs to get its own section! Like CV dodgeball of the week or something :P

YES. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, YES.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dodging bullets is far easier than dodging dodgeballs! They're like 1/100 the size!!!

lol

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The real questions is....who would be most like to do fakeouts...and who would they be effective against, if anyone?

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By patrat18

Bane is right.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't vote, it was too hard, but I had so much fun following this!

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is one out of very few of these that I've actually voted on the winning side.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't get a chance to vote, but would have chosen DC... especially after reading CB's argument. I think he was right on the money.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Harley Quinn, volleyballs? The jokes write themselves.

Aeroman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

captain america vs bane

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted Marvel because of Cap and Hawkeye

mettlekm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but can they dodge a wrench?

Cap's leadership is also an important factor to give Marvel the edge.

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Batman wins....Lafleur.

specialmonkey7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it funny that no one wanted to acknowledge the "juicing" accusation I made about Cap in this and that, of course, Marvel won this one.....hmm.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

NO ONE BEATS CAPTAIN AMERICA!! Nuff said!

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Jen's reply was GOLD :))

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

*Bane voice* Impossible

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love close matches like these

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think GA and Harley were the weak points in DC's lineup. But I could see that Katzman wanted to avoid a marvel vs bat-family match so, oh well.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We should have a Marvel vs. DC dodgeball rematch... except throw in heavy-hitters (Superman, Silver Surfer, Sentry, Wonder Woman, etc.) instead >:D

thevagrantking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woo! My argument was poignant! Praise validation! :p

Paniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best battle of the week so far ! This one even beats the zombi scenario, which was already incredible.

If you have other great ideas like this one, GO !

BamaCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BamaCat88

I have a suggestion for the next BOTW, a good old fashioned gunfight between Jonah Hex and Rick Grimes.

Avatar image for admiral_ironbeast
Admiral_IronBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@alkusanagi said:

lol

alkusanagi retroactively wins the viner of the week arguement

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

But....but....but Batman had prep time.

IndieComicsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By IndieComicsFTW

@tparks said:

This is one out of very few of these that I've actually voted on the winning side.

Smoke a cigar, you picked right son.

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Loading Video...

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@crazyscarecrow: it seems that Bats is badass in crime fighting but terrible in PE

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the DC team, but if would love to see Supes vs. Thor in dodeball lol

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

worldFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fuck the 11%

addikhabbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for jorgebeatsemile
jorgebeatsemile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think that everyone is forgetting how Dp would distract everyone with his face, well, the way it is, and team marvel would win because of it.