Comic Vine Battle of the Week: Faora vs. Thor (Movie Versions)

• 150 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Thor has a brand new movie out and Faora's heading to blu-ray this week, so having them engage in a brutal slugfest only seems natural. What would happen if these two powerful characters went head-to-head? Will the DC villain's speed and viciousness overwhelm Marvel'sAvenger? Or, will Thor's durability and versatility eventually earn him the win against Superman's foe?

We understand not everyone will enter this one being knowledgeable on both characters, so please keep in mind you have all week to vote. Conduct your own research by checking out the movies or head to the poll thread (link provided below) and read the detailed arguments which will hopefully be made for both sides. Or, if you do know both characters well, go to the poll thread right now and let us know who you think will win and why. Impress us enough (post must be free of videos and scans) and you just may earn the Viner Argument of the Week. You can't put that on your resume, but it's still pretty darn satisfying award.

No Caption Provided

Comic Vine Battle of the Week Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • Characters are standard versions and have standard gear (Faora is not adjusted to Earth's conditions).
  • Knockout, incapacitation or death all count as elimination.
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. They start roughly 25 feet apart and visible. There's a fair amount of cover between them (parked vehicles, bus stops and such). The entire city region is on limits. Seeing as this battle has the potential to go great distances, assume we're talking about a massive city.
  • It's not mandatory, but if you take time to vote, elaborating as well would be extra awesome. Keep things informative and your post could be the next Viner Argument of the Week!

Click the following to cast your vote. Again, it would be extra cool if you could get your elaboration on as well. If you vote for a character, be sure to tell us why!

CLICK HERE TO VOTE!!!

Viners, you have the week to research, debate and vote! This means there's no reason to vote right away if you don't have all of the info you need to make an educated decision. Check the homepage Friday for an updated article with the following:

• My extended thoughts on the match.
  • A Viner Argument in favor of the poll's winner (can't include scans and must be in the poll thread).
  • Extra thoughts from other Comic Vine staffers.
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Feel free to make future match suggestions in the comments below or via Gregg's Twitter page.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This is awesome, gotta see Thor 2 first though. Im leaning Faora.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 the_stegman  Moderator

oh sh.... Do you have any idea what you've just done???

Avatar image for cephaliccarnage
CephalicCarnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Faora stands not even the slightest chance. Mjolnir has magical properties and yeah this would be a instant win for Thor.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AlKusanagi

Generic Kryptonian VS Thor? Really? That is just disrespectful. At least make it Zod.

Timotheus316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember the rock giant? Yeah. Swing and an uppercut and she's gone into next week.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Faora. When is Supes getting his turn Kt4?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Wolverine008

@sandman_ said:

I'm betting MOS Superman will be used in a weekly battle soon.

Avatar image for sleepbutnodream15
Sleepbutnodream15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Hans Zimmer's Man of Steel theme has to be playing in the background of this fight.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Generic Kryptonian VS Thor? Really? That is just disrespectful. At least make it Zod.

What's disrespectful is you reducing Faora to "generic Kryptonian." Her speed and skill is superb and more than enough to make this interesting.

@sandman_ said:

In due time. Then it'll come down to what version.

ClawFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ClawFist

Hahah, this is awesome! Faora was my favorite thing to come out of Man of Steel. It can be difficult to say, Faora has the speed, and power to give Thor a run for his money. I think Faora would get more hits, but not only can Thor take it, I think when his hammer really hits, that's the beginning of the end there. Ultimately I have to give it to Thor. Sorry Faora ;_;

Avatar image for asgardianxeno929
AsgardianXeno929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Thor vs Malekith fight keeps popping into my head, leaning me more towards Thor. But not voting yet, going to hear som debating first. :)

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@clawfist said:

Hahah, this is awesome! Faora was my favorite thing to come out of Man of Steel. It can be difficult to say, Faora has the speed, and power to give Thor a run for his money. I think Faora would get more hits, but not only can Thor take it, I think when his hammer really hits, that's the beginning of the end there. Ultimately I have to give it to Thor. Sorry Faora ;_;

Hans Zimmer's Man of Steel theme has to be playing in the background of this fight.

Ha!

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didnt saw Thor 2 Yet.But i could guess that Thor would propably wins.

jstndmnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

Does Thor have the speed that a Faora has?

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AlKusanagi

@k4tzm4n: Sorry, my utter loathing for Man of Steel has probably made me biased, but she didn't come off as anything more than a generic henchman in the movie to me. Hell, I only knew her name because she's part of the Man of Steel Heroclix starter set.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alkusanagi: Zod mentions her name a couple of times. She wiped Supes ass a new one too.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I choose Thor... the scene where Thor used lightning On Malekith looked pretty darn effective. Also, Thor took on Hulk in avengers pretty well, and don't forget that Hulk singlehandedly punched one of those Chitauri dragon thingy.... oh and i almost forgot, his area of effect attack on the Frost Giants in the first film was sweet.

^_^

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sandman_: Yeah, but it's a rookie Superman with practically zero formal combat training. Her against Thor is a soldier VS a warrior with hundreds of years of experience, and a much greater power set. I don't recall her even figuring out heat vision in MoS.

fletcher78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fletcher78

It is an interesting match up. In The first movie Thor described what we called magic as advanced Asgardian technology. Therefore does that mean that Mjolnir is not actually magic in the cinematic universe and cannot be classed as a form of magic that Kryptonians are weak to? Come to that in the cinematic universe do we even know that magic is a weakness of Kryptonians?

The next part to look at is Faoras lack of experience on Earth and its conditions. If she is wearing full equipment then the Earths atmosphere wouldn't effect her. However if Thor can damage her gear so it makes her open to Earths atmosphere then it would massively impact her ability to fight and defend.

Faora is also ruthless and loyal to Zod which means that she would have no qualms in not holding back and unleashing the full force of her strength and speed on Thor. Thor whilst not one to hold back has over the course of his movie appearances grown from a man quick to war, as seen in his invasion attempt of the ice giants in the first film to a man who will give Loki mulitple chances. So it is not unreasonable to assume that upon first meeting Thor would attempt to offer Foara a chance to surrender, she wouldn't take it, but it would give her an opening to gain an early upper hand.

After this then Thor knows there is no point in holding back and would begin to use his full force on Faora. Her superior speed would certainly keep her at arms length making her hard to hit, but all it would take would be one strike from Mjolnir or a blast of lightening to destroy or damage her helmet and open her up to the Earths atmosphere to slow her down and disorient her which at which point a series of strikes from Mjolnir to down faora and complete a victory for Thor.

If Faora could keep out of range and dodge Thors attacks then she certainly has the experience to win, but I believe that Thor is too experienced a warrior to not find an opening or time a hit to not land a strike on her.

So for me it is a victory for Thor.

Avatar image for shallbecomeabattoo
Shallbecomeabattoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n:

Great battle! Love it! Could you do a MoS Supes or Zod against MCU Hulk next? I would love to debate that with die hard Hulk fanboys, even if I am sure that the green guy wouldn't stand a chance.

Darkseid_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: Same here! I can't make an honest and educated vote until I see new Thor.

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sentryman555

This is hard. I'd say Thor but is Faora just going to be in the suit? Or is she gonna pull a Zod and realize the sun makes her stronger. If she does she has the military experience to adapt to the new powers quickly. So that would make the fight much closer. But if she stays in the suit she pretty much only has super strength and super speed. Which I believe Thor can handle. Must think more before voting....

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

This is hard. I'd say Thor but is Faora just going to be in the suit? Or is she gonna pull a Zod and realize the sun makes her stronger. If she does she has the military experience to adapt to the new powers quickly. So that would make the fight much closer. But if she stays in the suit she pretty much only has super strength and super speed. Which I believe Thor can handle. Must think more before voting....

"(Faora is not adjusted to Earth's conditions)."

CaseyJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CaseyJustice

Thor, for two reasons:

1: Experience. Faora is military trained, but Thor has THOUSANDS of years of combat experience under his belt.

2: The suit. If Faora is not acclimated to Earth conditions, one good crack in the suit (which Mijolnir will readily provide) and she's severely handicapped.

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sentryman555

@k4tzm4n: My post didn't go through for some reason. Basically my two cents. Even if Faora isn't accustomed to Earth's atmosphere if Thor breaks off her helmet and she gets disoriented whose to say Thor would attack her? He has gotten a lot more noble in the movies and he doesn't know she's getting stronger. So he'd probably just assume he hit her hard enough to cause her to be disoriented. For me it would kind of depend on whether or not he capitalizes on that moment of disorientation because Zod was only thrown off by it for a short couple minutes. This is a hard match you've picked!

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gotham331

I'm going with Faora. Even though she hasn't adjusted to Earths conditions she's still a handful. I know Thor is mighty and all, but Faora is a beast! An unadjusted Faora was still able to to put the boots to Kal, I would expect no less against Thor.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@caseyjustice said:

Thor, for two reasons:

1: Experience. Faora is military trained, but Thor has THOUSANDS of years of combat experience under his belt.

2: The suit. If Faora is not acclimated to Earth conditions, one good crack in the suit (which Mijolnir will readily provide) and she's severely handicapped.

1. For all his years of experience, he shows almost no skill. He brawls in every single fight he's in. Just like comic Thor. Faora on the other hand, displays skill as she dismantles Superman.

2. Those suits tanked small arms fire, Superman's heat vision, 40mm grenade shells, atmospheric reentry, 30mm depleted uranium shells from A-10 warhogs, missile blasts and other massive explosions and more. Its laughable to think they would break so easily. Mjolnir doesn't have feats to suggest it can break them.

SlickyMike88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SlickyMike88

I'm voting for Faora .

BritishMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This is horrible, I can't choose between the two...

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baberaham_lincoln: There's also a prequel comic for Thor:The Dark World (supported by Kevin Feige) that says during the events of Avengers, when Odin transported Thor to Asgard, Thor was weakened as a result of this. He;s stronger in both of his solo movies. I say he takes this. His speed feats were quite impressive in the Thor: The Dark World. Also Magic Lightning.

Sebast_Allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@caseyjustice said:

Thor, for two reasons:

1. For all his years of experience, he shows almost no skill. He brawls in every single fight he's in. Just like comic Thor. Faora on the other hand, displays skill as she dismantles Superman.

Thor still wins

2. Those suits tanked small arms fire, Superman's heat vision, 40mm grenade shells, atmospheric reentry, 30mm depleted uranium shells from A-10 warhogs, missile blasts and other massive explosions and more. Its laughable to think they would break so easily. Mjolnir doesn't have feats to suggest it can break them.

Lol, mjolnir destroyed whole ice giant land

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@sebast_allen:

1. spoken like a true fanboy

2. and failed to destroy anything Vanaheim.

ground > ice

And he only destroyed a very small area. Jotunheim was still fine as evidenced by the fact that it shows up in movie 2. Don't overplay the feat.

Kryptonians were laying waste to concrete roads and buildings left and right just by crashing into them.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor wins because she will be blinded by his long blond hair.

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Thor: The Dark World was a better film than Man of Steel.
But that's not the question.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By buttersdaman000

Faora destroys him. None of the Marvel powerhouses have been impressive in any way compared to MoS. By scaling, you can almost say Kurse is on their level but he still lacks in speed, and overall durability.

Also, Thor: The Dark World was a huge disappointment. That movie literally brought nothing new or of not to the table, and as I thought only further confirms my fears of the Marvel cinematic universe - mediocre movies pumped out as filler and lead in for the next Avenger team up. Hopefully Captain America 2 is better.

Ghidoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm going with Faora on this one, for several reasons.

1. Thor in the movies hasn't shown nearly the level of combat speed that Faora has shown. Despite being hardly used to Earth conditions, Faora still managed to move incredibly fast, taking down not only regular humans in less than a second, but even matching Superman's speed.

2. Despite Thor supposedly being this great warrior, he has yet to show as much as skill in 3 movies as Faora has in just a few minutes of one. Thor's fighting style involves charging at opponents and trying to beat them with his hammer; he doesn't show much finesse and given his speed disadvantage I doubt he would be able to match Faora hand to hand.

3. As far as strength goes, I'm not sure who's stronger. Thor has some impressive feats while Faora does not, however, she rarely got a chance to show such feats. Assuming she's on the same level as Kal and Zod (and there's no reason she shouldn't be at least Zod's level), then we can assume that she's equally capable of toppling skyscrapers.

4. Durability is a tough one. Thor has been shown to take some hits but on the other hand Loki believed he would die from a several thousand foot drop in Avengers, so it's not entirely clear how tough he really is. Faora's durability limits are, thus far, untested, but given both Zod and Superman survived quite a pounding and several massive falls, it's fair to imagine Faora would be capable of the same. The only weakness she showed was to a sensory overload, so Thor could possibly use that to his advantage.

5. The x-factor is Thor's hammer and his magic in general. We don't know the rules of kryptonian weaknesses or what constitutes as magic in either universe. If Thor's hammer does count as magic then he could potentially do a great deal of damage to Faora...on the other hand, he hasn't yet shown that he can throw it particularly fast, so the trouble he'll have is hitting Faora in the first place. Similar, hitting her lightning would be rather difficult given her incredible speed. I would say, with a bit of luck, this is the only chance Thor has of winning, but it's a slim chance.

So, Faora has greater speed and, apparently, greater skill in combat, equal in strength to Thor, while being slightly less durable due to her lack of acclimatization to Earth and potentially being weak to Thor's hammer/magic. Most people however agree that speed is the biggest determining factor in battles, and so I would give the edge to Faora.

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

faora kicked way more ass than Zod in MoS

Nheritor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cephaliccarnage: I'm gonna have to disagree, Faora is highly trained, intelligent and powerful warrior; while Thor is also a powerful and highly trained war, he isn't as intelligent. I'm not saying he isn't intelligent just not as much as Faora. On top of that he isn't as fast as a generic kryptonian and Faora is anything but generic, Thor will have a hard time keeping up with her. I'm not gonna pick just yet, but i know Thor wouldn't win in a instant, that's your bias talking there. This is gonna be interesting fight nonetheless.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Faora.

But Thor's going to win anyway...he just had a new movie released last week...

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That bitch WRECKED Superman...

ewww... I don't know gotta see Thor 2

but for right now I'm going with Faora

Nheritor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fletcher78: I have to agree with everything you just said, but I'm still undecided at this point. You brought up a lot of points that i didn't even think of.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rogueshadow  Moderator

I'll wait until I've seen TDW.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@alkusanagi said:

faora kicked way more ass than Zod in MoS

Let's not go that far. The showdown between Zod and Kal was the most epic fight put on screen.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm leaning towards Faora. I think her aggressive nature and strength will give her the win. Although I have yet to see Thor 2, I don't know if we have seen Thor's strength pushed to his limits, so maybe he could pull off a win. Plus mjolnir is a substantial advantage.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@cephaliccarnage: Theres no evidence in the new movie verse that magic has any effect on Kryptonians.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor TDW must have some wicked showings, because out of Thor and the Avengers, Faora outclasses him in everything except flight and projection.

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, Thor: The Dark World was a huge disappointment. That movie literally brought nothing new or of not to the table, and as I thought only further confirms my fears of the Marvel cinematic universe - mediocre movies pumped out as filler and lead in for the next Avenger team up. Hopefully Captain America 2 is better.

That's a bummer. I didn't bother watching the first one, but I guess I don't have to watch the sequel either haha.

queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

This is a silly battle for two reasons:

a) Faora would stomp movie Thor. Her speed and combat skills alone would be enough to wipe the floor with him. Let alone the other abilities she could harness under the sun.

b) Thor is 100% going to win. He's infinitely more popular, he's a man and has literally just had a movie come out about him.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a silly battle for two reasons:

a) Faora would stomp movie Thor. Her speed and combat skills alone would be enough to wipe the floor with him. Let alone the other abilities she could harness under the sun.

b) Thor is 100% going to win. He's infinitely more popular, he's a man and has literally just had a movie come out about him.

nail on the head, friend ;)