• 65 results
#1 Posted by WillPayton (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

Citizen Steel vs Thor

vs

Rules: Random encounter, no knowledge, in character. No BFR. Win by KO or death.

In case people didnt read it the first time around... in character! That means fighting like they normally do in comics and not using powers they rarely use.

#2 Posted by BWANASIMBA (353 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor ftw. As shown by Citizen's Steel getting stomped by Black Lantern Superman he isn't quite heavyweight enough to take Thor. If Thor gets frustrated enough to start hitting him as hard as he can with Mjolnir... Steel's getting crushed.

#3 Posted by SHARKBEARAGATOR (1667 posts) - - Show Bio

@bwanasimba: PIS Steel took down both Gog with two punches, something the JSA couldn't even do. Plus Magog could barely budge him.

#4 Edited by BWANASIMBA (353 posts) - - Show Bio

@sharkbearagator: Interesting. Black Lantern Superman did compare him to Power Girl in terms of strength and durability. What other feats does he have? Does he have feats that normally make him a super heavyweight like Thor, or is he normally just another powerhouse (albeit a super heavy one)? Either way I say Thor ftw due to Mjolnir and all his (and its) other abilities as well as his superior experience and skill.

Wait, by Gog do you mean the herald Gog or the titan sized reality warping elder god Gog?

#5 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (3464 posts) - - Show Bio

@bwanasimba: Wait, by Gog do you mean the herald Gog or the titan sized reality warping elder god Gog?

Elder God.

#6 Posted by Ancient_0f_Days (12136 posts) - - Show Bio

#7 Posted by WillPayton (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

That's a pretty good strength feat.

#8 Posted by FrozenPhoenix (1722 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (3464 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton:That's a pretty good strength feat.

My eyes were as big as Half Dollars the first time I saw it.

#10 Posted by WillPayton (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm thinking CS might be able to KO Thor with one good hit, especially if he gets pissed and rips his containment suit off. I mean, the guy is so freakishly strong that he needs to wear a solid metal suit just to keep him from destroying stuff accidentally... LOL.

#11 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (3464 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton:

Yeah, Citizen Steel IS idiotically strong, bro. Probably one of the strongest characters in anybody's universe.

#12 Edited by Nefarious (20233 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor.

#13 Posted by jashro44 (21491 posts) - - Show Bio

I think citizen steel wins if thor slugs it out. If thor uses his powers effectively then maybe he could win.

#14 Posted by capall2 (1428 posts) - - Show Bio

Exactly how strong and durable is Steel? It's lot to say he can ko Thoe with one good hit...are you suggesting same can not be said about Thor? Is he capable of tanking a shot from mjolnir if not once then multiple blows? Also what about his combat skills and combat speed? How would he deal with long range attacks and does what does he have to offer in terms of long range attacks compared to Thor?

#15 Posted by King Saturn (224142 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor should be able to blast Citizen Steel away

#16 Posted by capall2 (1428 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn: lmao, already then...that may have answered my questions somewhat...lol

#17 Posted by WillPayton (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

What Thor might be able to do is not really the issue, since the fight is in-character. In character Thor brawls much of the time, and generally shows very little skill or intelligence, which is why people like Hulk can tag and beat him on occasion.

#18 Posted by King Saturn (224142 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn said:

What Thor might be able to do is not really the issue, since the fight is in-character. In character Thor brawls much of the time, and generally shows very little skill or intelligence, which is why people like Hulk can tag and beat him on occasion.

Even In Character though, Thor does use the Hammer's Blast Power... yeah, Hulk can tag him... but Hulk tags a lot of Heavyweights in Marvel... it has to be that way otherwise if everyone fought intelligently against Hulk... Big Green would be losing a lot.

#19 Posted by WillPayton (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton said:

@king_saturn said:

Even In Character though, Thor does use the Hammer's Blast Power... yeah, Hulk can tag him... but Hulk tags a lot of Heavyweights in Marvel... it has to be that way otherwise if everyone fought intelligently against Hulk... Big Green would be losing a lot.

Thor uses the hammer's energy projection, but how often and how early in a fight? As far as I've seen he usually leads with his fists or with a flying hammer attack. When does Thor see a random enemy he's never seen before and decides "hmm I think I'll energy blast that guy"?

#20 Posted by czarny_samael666 (17174 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn said:

It is in character for Thor to use lightnings in the beginning of battle. This or throwing Mjolnir has to happen in character as a first move and other one as a second if first one wouldn't finish it. And after first strike Thor would know have to hit, since he would be able to calculate his enemy's durability.

3rd after these two move is brawl with 4th anti-force blast (blue one, that isn't named anymore).

Hammer strikes strong enough to put Namor and Hulk on their knees, KO people in Ms. Marvel or Thing level of durability.

If Thor would belive that his enemy can't be reasoned and that he has to win (so no plot), he will strike even harder. After all, Thor killed a lot of people in his life. Even currently he killed Sentry, Angrir (Franklin later used reality warping powers to transform him into "cured" one) and Demogorge.

BTW You seem to be really stunned with taking out Gog. Where I can find his best battles? I mean this, most powerfull version.

#21 Edited by King Saturn (224142 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn said:

@willpayton said:

@king_saturn said:

Thor uses the hammer's energy projection, but how often and how early in a fight? As far as I've seen he usually leads with his fists or with a flying hammer attack. When does Thor see a random enemy he's never seen before and decides "hmm I think I'll energy blast that guy"?

It's how often the writer wants him to use it... The fight would probably start off as a Scuffle, but I don't think Steel would just KO Thor with his fists... Thor is very durable himself... so eventually Thor would get around to Blasting him and that will be the end of the fight.

#22 Posted by WillPayton (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

It is in character for Thor to use lightnings in the beginning of battle.

When has he ever started a battle against an unknown enemy with a lightning attack?

Second, what percentage of battles against unknown enemies has he ever started with lightning or energy projection attacks?

#23 Posted by WillPayton (9434 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Edited by Shavo (2061 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor

#25 Posted by czarny_samael666 (17174 posts) - - Show Bio

@czarny_samael666 said:

When has he ever started a battle against an unknown enemy with a lightning attack?

Second, what percentage of battles against unknown enemies has he ever started with lightning or energy projection attacks?

Lol, man, I never mad calculations for things like that, I doubt that anyone ever tried anything similar, but even currently he started in this way fight against Skrulls, Sentry-Void, Red Skull forces, Ex Nilho (when he was freed by Wolverine), Ereshkigal, Demogorge (hard to say that he is not known, so he may not count here). He used anti-force blast against Horsmen of Apocalypse, Apoc and Kang.

He has thrown Mjolnir against Starbrand and M'Zee(I had to check his name), he boosted his hammer with thunders against another start with Starbrand and with Fenris. I am not sure about other writers, but it is how he was written by Bendis/Avengers&events (Skrulls, Sentry Apoc, Kang, Horsmen), Hickman/Avengers (Starbrand, Ex Nilho), Remender/Uncanny Avengers (Red Skull, M'Zee) and Immonen/Journey into Mystery (Fenris).

I would have to check out Gillen's and Fractions work, but IIRC Thor used even more complicated powers in start with Phoenix Force, Mangog (his plan was to BFR him for sure), Alter Ego (planet level storms) and The Other's forces (shields, energy blasts).

#26 Posted by SHARKBEARAGATOR (1667 posts) - - Show Bio

@bwanasimba: He fought both he by himself broke through Elder God Gog's armor something KC Supes couldn't do. And herald level Gog where Gog punched him and he barely moved an inch.

#27 Posted by SHARKBEARAGATOR (1667 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with jashro if Thor tries slugging it out it won't really go well. Steel is stupidly strong and might pull a Hulk and give Thor a faceful of his own hammer. If Thor fights effectively and keeps his distance he could take it.

#28 Edited by WillPayton (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton said:

@czarny_samael666 said:

Lol, man, I never mad calculations for things like that,

I'm just trying to figure out what percent (roughly) chance he has of resorting to that rather than just brawling, because it seems relevant here. Also, I'm not even sure how much damage he can do to Steel with a lightning/energy attack. I even see the possibility that if he starts off with such an attack, it might only help to blow off CS's suit and piss him off.

From my understanding, and I'm no Thor expert, he usually brawls. If he tries to brawl against someone who's stronger than Superman, and probably as durable, then he has a good chance of getting knocked out quickly... which would mean he doesnt get the chance to implement a stand-off battle plan.

I know Thor has the powers and ability to win this 100% of the time if he does the right things, but the outcome of this battle is about what people do in-character, not what's theoretically possible. Sentry lost/stalemated Hullk in WWH even though in theory he can win 100%, because it was in-character (given his mental state) to let Hulk punch him in the face over and over.

#29 Posted by BWANASIMBA (353 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton: Wait, hold on now, you're claiming this guy is stronger than Superman? Steel's got some good showings yes, but Black Lantern Supes took him out effortlessly. Power Girl lasted a helluva lot longer than he did. Has he shown a consistent level of super strength? Has he taken planetary level explosions? Or even nukes? As far as I know the guy only has a handful of showings, as his character is only a couple years old, and although Supes and Thor have had their jobber moments (especially nowadays for Thor, Marvel seems to like jobbing the guy left and right), both have also proven to be potential planet destroyers capable of shrugging off planetary explosion-level force. Unless Citizen Steel can show some consistency, or a greater deal of high end feats, I'm not willing to put him in either big blue or the thunder god's league.

#30 Posted by WillPayton (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton: Wait, hold on now, you're claiming this guy is stronger than Superman? Steel's got some good showings yes, but Black Lantern Supes took him out effortlessly. Power Girl lasted a helluva lot longer than he did. Has he shown a consistent level of super strength? Has he taken planetary level explosions? Or even nukes? As far as I know the guy only has a handful of showings, as his character is only a couple years old, and although Supes and Thor have had their jobber moments (especially nowadays for Thor, Marvel seems to like jobbing the guy left and right), both have also proven to be potential planet destroyers capable of shrugging off planetary explosion-level force. Unless Citizen Steel can show some consistency, or a greater deal of high end feats, I'm not willing to put him in either big blue or the thunder god's league.

It's hard to tell because his showings with the suit mean he's always using only a fraction of his strength (stated to be 1/2 strength with the suit on). But, the following scans suggest he's stronger than Kingdom Come Superman:

Courtesy @beatboks1:

Subsequently even though Magog could do thsi to E-22 Superman (who is as powerful as pre COIE E-2 Superman (who was stronger and more invulnerable to pre COIE E-1 Superman due to absorbing sunlight for decades more but less stamina due to age)

even though in the pages after that he took out almost all of the JSA

Magog who'd taken punches from Superman Powergirl, Hourman and blast from Stargirl, Damage and GL

And yet he couldn't nudge steel and one punch from steel and he's on his back.

Then of course they face Gog the 'god who gave Magog his powers (the Galactus to Silver Surfer if you will )

and though with a wave of his hand he could knock all the other JSAers down

Finally when Nathan removes the uniform that holds his strength in check

#31 Edited by Floopay (8721 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor took attacks from two guys who could bust adamantium. With a hammer toss (return?) he killed Angrir ("killed" I should say). Then knocked Nul into space.

Plus the wide assortment of other powers he has. I'm sure if he can tank a blow from a fully powered Kurse, he can handle a shot from Citizen Steel.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#32 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like you have two depictions of Citizen Steel to consider - one where's he's on a hole other level compared to an assortment of superman ish characters - or the one that had issues with Black Lantern Superman.

Although as Floopay mentions - Thor's a lot more kill happy these days in fights - so him holding back is more of 'shrug' kind of moment since he doesn't seem to be all that much these days outside on the Avengers.

#33 Posted by WillPayton (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like you have two depictions of Citizen Steel to consider - one where's he's on a hole other level compared to an assortment of superman ish characters - or the one that had issues with Black Lantern Superman.

In one case he was wearing his suit (fight w/ Black Lantern Superman) which cuts his strength in half (and, logically, also his speed) and in the other he tore it off and was at full strength.

#34 Edited by TifaLockhart (14046 posts) - - Show Bio

How powerful was Black Lantern Superman anyway?

#35 Edited by Saren (25660 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_last_son_of_czarnia said:

Black Lantern Kal-L was beating the crap out of the entire JSA, Alan Scott included. Plus I don't know how far I'd say Steel got "owned" by that Supes ---- their fight basically lasts one panel where Kal-L throws him and Cyclone aside and then continues beating up Power Girl.

Edit: Checked the scans and Steel wasn't grounded when Kal-L slapped him aside, so I guess that could be taken into consideration. He's on his feet and conscious by the end of the fight too. These are all the scans I have of BL Kal-L vs the JSA, I don't have the rest since I don't have the issue anymore:

#36 Posted by dondave (37243 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44 said:

I think citizen steel wins if thor slugs it out. If thor uses his powers effectively then maybe he could win.

#37 Posted by TDK_1997 (14889 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton said:

@czarny_samael666 said:

Lol, man, I never mad calculations for things like that, I doubt that anyone ever tried anything similar, but even currently he started in this way fight against Skrulls, Sentry-Void, Red Skull forces, Ex Nilho (when he was freed by Wolverine), Ereshkigal, Demogorge (hard to say that he is not known, so he may not count here). He used anti-force blast against Horsmen of Apocalypse, Apoc and Kang.

You didn't quite answer his question.He asked when has Thor used lightning attacks against opponents that he has never met and you told him about how he attacked characters like the SKrulls,Sentry-Void and the Red Skull forces(recently) which were all villains or at least beings that he knew about.ANd he also knew that they were going to be a lot of trouble.The only showing that was right that you stated was Ex Nihilo but after being freed he knew that he was mind-controlled,so he wanted revenge.

#38 Edited by WillPayton (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

Edit: Checked the scans and Steel wasn't grounded when Kal-L slapped him aside, so I guess that could be taken into consideration. He's on his feet and conscious by the end of the fight too. These are all the scans I have of BL Kal-L vs the JSA, I don't have the rest since I don't have the issue anymore:

Damn Black Lantern Kal-L is a beast, beating Power Girl to a bloody pulp, Alan Scott, Citizen Steel, Stargirl, and others all at the same time. Just surviving a hit from that guy is a feat for anyone. If Thor fought him alone he'd get murdered in less than a minute.

#40 Edited by TDK_1997 (14889 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah my general impression is that Thor in character would almost always start off a fight against an unknown opponent with either a h2h attack or hammer throw. I only ever remember him using an energy/lightning attack after things are going south, even against known top-tier enemies.

It's the logical thing to do.You don't know anything about the guy you are fighting and his power level and you will use one of your most powerful attacks against him,why?That's why every person and character with a mind will start slowly with a h2h fight.

#41 Posted by beatboks1 (7209 posts) - - Show Bio

Few factors to consider here IMO

1. With his Uniform on CS is VERY VERY slow. The uniform is basically a molten and then solidified alloy stronger than the one used in NASA's landing modules. It was created by Mr Terrific and Dr Midnight to contain CS's strength. See while he is incredibly strong he has almost no feeling and can't tell how much strength he's using. It's to ensure he doesn't rip someones arm off while only meaning to shake their hand. It's also supposed to reduce his strength by a LOT more than half.

2. He's so far only torn the armor off once and that was with the entire JSA getting stomped. All this talk about Thor not suing lightning off the bat and yet we don't consider that CS doesn't remove his armor quickly either. Thor may not be subliminal speed reaction but he certainly is sonic and frankly only has to be peak human to dodge CS to a reasonable degree.

3. WE talk about CS's durability, which don't get me wrong is great, having an organic steel skin, organic steel muscles, and steel bones, plus the organic steel regenerates ( when he was first "infected" with it he regrew an amputated leg). Yet there is NO consideration for Thor's durability or energy soak. We are talking about a character who has tanked missile fire, endured a LOT more than CS has AND while having a gapping whole in his side caused by the world tree still withstood and continued to battle Silver Surfer even after he used a full force cosmic power blast. What exactly is CS going to do to finish this battle???

#42 Posted by PowerHerc (83461 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor ftw.

#43 Posted by WillPayton (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

Few factors to consider here IMO

1. With his Uniform on CS is VERY VERY slow. The uniform is basically a molten and then solidified alloy stronger than the one used in NASA's landing modules. It was created by Mr Terrific and Dr Midnight to contain CS's strength. See while he is incredibly strong he has almost no feeling and can't tell how much strength he's using. It's to ensure he doesn't rip someones arm off while only meaning to shake their hand. It's also supposed to reduce his strength by a LOT more than half.

2. He's so far only torn the armor off once and that was with the entire JSA getting stomped. All this talk about Thor not suing lightning off the bat and yet we don't consider that CS doesn't remove his armor quickly either. Thor may not be subliminal speed reaction but he certainly is sonic and frankly only has to be peak human to dodge CS to a reasonable degree.

3. WE talk about CS's durability, which don't get me wrong is great, having an organic steel skin, organic steel muscles, and steel bones, plus the organic steel regenerates ( when he was first "infected" with it he regrew an amputated leg). Yet there is NO consideration for Thor's durability or energy soak. We are talking about a character who has tanked missile fire, endured a LOT more than CS has AND while having a gapping whole in his side caused by the world tree still withstood and continued to battle Silver Surfer even after he used a full force cosmic power blast. What exactly is CS going to do to finish this battle???

Of course CS would not rip off his suit in character at the beginning of the fight, but the suit being torn off is exactly what will happen when Thor is hitting him hard enough to hurt him. Or, do you think Thor can put CS down without damaging the suit?? In any case, if CS sees that Thor is a powerful opponent, he might very well rip it off. I'm not sure why he wouldnt and just let himself get stomped.

I think CS has a chance to win if, 1) Thor brawls with him like he does with others like Hulk, for which there's plenty of precedent, and 2) CS connects with a solid blow like what he did to Gog.

#44 Posted by beatboks1 (7209 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton:

My point was that I don't thing CS will even strike Thor at the start of the match, and your underestimating Thor's durability and damage soak.

I just don't see a brick ( who is only a brick) beating a brick who has far far greater durability feats who is also an energy manipulator, and has other powers as well ( and quite a few of them at that).

Thor has withstood planetary destroying forces and kept on fighting, we've seen nothing from CS to indicate he has that level of assault

#45 Edited by czarny_samael666 (17174 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

@czarny_samael666 said:

@willpayton said:

@czarny_samael666 said:

You didn't quite answer his question.He asked when has Thor used lightning attacks against opponents that he has never met and you told him about how he attacked characters like the SKrulls,Sentry-Void and the Red Skull forces(recently) which were all villains or at least beings that he knew about.ANd he also knew that they were going to be a lot of trouble.The only showing that was right that you stated was Ex Nihilo but after being freed he knew that he was mind-controlled,so he wanted revenge.

I wanted to give him more info than just that, since Thor rarely fights against people he doesn't know.

But:

He didn't know these Skrulls, this version of Horsemen of A, this Apoc, this Kang, this Red Skull, M'Zee, Ex Nilho, Starbrand and Sentry-Void (they never fought before, Thor only was a part of group that was suppose to attack Void, but Sentry took him by himself). Ergo, in last years Thor used anti-force blast on 3/9 (Apoc, Kang, H of Apoc) of his enemies, lightning against 4/9 (Skrulls, Ex Nilho, Red Skull, Sentry), throwing hammer against 2/9 (Starbrand and M'Zee). Ergo, Thor will use attack from distance against not known enemy, until You have other fights from last years about which I forgot.

@willpayton:

1.Read above.

2.I don't see a reason to belive that CS can KO Thor. This god don't seem to have any feats in Thor's level of durability. And Power Girl is below Superman, while Thor is above Superman's level of attack. Facing BL Superman isn't a prove that he can beat Thor, since BL Superman doesn't have to be above Thor. And we shouldn't even talk about that, since he took CS with one punch. One punch and we don't see him anymore. I don't see a reason to not belive that Thor can do the same with one Mjolnir toss.

And about this Gog, he made a huge tornado, but Thor can summon much greater hurricanes, so Gog didn't impress me with this power.

CS best feat is taking hit from Mangog and resisting to that wind. No resistance to energy projection. No reflex-type feats or massive durability ones. No striking feats in Thor or Mjolnir level.

You have to understand, that while Magog was impressve against JSA and he didn't put down CS with one shot, Thor has tons of much better feats of durability, strength, energy projection or reflex. And in opposite to what You've said, Thor likes killing his enemies. He holds back a lot, but mostly against other heroes or if he is on Earth with Avengers. If someone who has some problems with Power Girl can one-shot him or even put him on his knees, I don't see how Thor would have any problems. A specially that they both starts with morals on, not just Thor.

#46 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

I was referring to the fight before he removed the suit.

Judging his encounter with Superman - weak enough to find himself getting his head cleaved nearly in half in single hits by the MOS repeatedly. CS in that showing is being depicted a lot weaker than he was previously - suit on or off.

Superman didn't have issues fighting him, so I don't see why Thor would. Superman was literally fighting him and Conner at the same time as recall to boot. The only reason Clark was on the ropes is because he was trying to reason with Conner at the same time.

1. Thor doesn't have much reason to. Just before he goes at it again with Nul - he's plowing a hole through his buddy Ben Grimm with a Mjolnir shot, when he was brought back from the dead he decided to fry Ulik to a silvery skull with repeated hits / one lightning finish and even when fighting someone who has the physical shaping of a thin teenager - he had no issues throwing a hefty Mjolnir toss to send the Star Brand user flying across the landscape. In his own book he's tearing the heads off Gorr's beserkers.

Good chance this fight starts like most of Thor's fights - with a casual hammer toss into CS' face. Likely with a few sparks flying; the only reason he even brawls with the Hulk is because he knows he's actually strong to brawl with Thor anyhow.

2. I'm not entirely sold on that. Odin's physically much stronger than Thor given how he pounds him around like ragdoll in hand to hand - but even then he isn't exactly one-shotting him.

#47 Posted by WillPayton (9434 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio
#49 Posted by New_World_Order (13164 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor.

#50 Edited by WillPayton (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, what I meant earlier was that I think one good hit can KO Thor, but not necessarily a one-shot. He'd still need one or two good ones to soften him up first... same as if he fought Superman. I think he's got the raw strength to pull it off.

In general I think Steel has a chance to win some, but not a majority. What gives him an edge is that Thor brawls, a lot. Even then, Thor will still have a speed and skill advantage. So I give CS maybe like 2/10 wins.