CAV: Monkey D. Luffy VS Kid Goku

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pope052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pope052

Scenario:

Goku was out flying around on Nimbus searching for animals to take home and roast, that was until he discovered an odd looking straw-hatted individual set up a campfire munching on the best deer in the vicinity for some reason. After hours of searching only to find someone else claiming the meat, outraged Goku flew towards Luffy and struck him in the face to no avail. Luffy turned around giggling to himself for a second, and thus...

Monkey D. Luffy:

Represented By - Nickzambuto:

No Caption Provided

VS

Kid Goku:

Represented By - Pope052:

No Caption Provided

Location - Random Mountainous Area:

No Caption Provided

Conditions:

• Summit War Saga Luffy, King Piccolo Saga Goku.
  • No Prep, nor Prior Knowledge.
  • Morals On, but both are extremely p!ssed at each other.
  • Win by Death, or KO.

Challenge a Viner Rules:

• There's no interfering in the debate itself but if you must correct either of us on a point that cannot wait until the voting begins, please do so in a P.M.
  • Standard commenting/posting is perfectly fine.
  • As always, may the best man win.
Easternwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pope052@nickzambuto Good Luck guys, good matchup, Ive seen Goku 23th Bu. vs Luffy before, this should be intresting.

Pope052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto it's ready and let me know if you'd like anything changed, as of now like I said i'll be away for the most part of the upcoming week so I won't be able to post. As a result, you can take your time with the opening post and I can assure you a response by mid/late Friday.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By renamed040924
@pope052 said:

@nickzambuto it's ready and let me know if you'd like anything changed, as of now like I said i'll be away for the most part of the upcoming week so I won't be able to post. As a result, you can take your time with the opening post and I can assure you a response by mid/late Friday.

Excellent, I'm very excited.

Avatar image for superlightning123
Superlightning123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go Pope!

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Things are about to go boom! Two high class and Grade A debaters are going to capture the moment :)

Avatar image for albertphytagoras
Albertphytagoras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Things are about to go boom! Two high class and Grade A debaters are going to capture the moment :)

DeathHero61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't you do this already @pope052? Was there something you forgot to mention the last time you did this?

MrUnsmiley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Luffy would destroy Goku like this, no contest. It'd be a better match if it was Goku from before his fight with Piccolo Jr. or the Saiyans.

Pope052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathhero61:

Yeah, except I did terrible to be honest and Nick wanted a challenge so I accepted.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman1
AllStarHit-Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tag for votes

Pope052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pope052

@nickzambuto:

Alright, let's get this started at last. I'll begin by pointing out the most prominent factor of the battle, and that's the fact that Luffy's rubber anatomy makes it nearly impossible for most to harm him via blunt force trauma unless they'd hit with the force of Superman for instance however it definitely applies to Kid Goku so striking feats are out of the question really. Fortunately for me Goku can manage to obtain a victory by falling back on his speed, durability and most importantly his energy projection so i'll kick this off by comparing the attributes between each character to see how they'll apply to battle:

• Strength - Luffy
  • Striking Power - Luffy (Default)
  • Speed - Goku
  • Durability - Luffy
  • Destructive Capacity - Goku
  • Stamina - Tie
  • Range - Goku

That's a tie of 3.5 points each to both combatants so they'll have to rely on the listed advantages in order to win however I figure Goku's advantages will be sufficient here to prevail against Luffy noting his abilities:

Goku's Speed:

I'm not certain how fast Luffy is however i'm pretty confident in saying that Goku is the faster one of the two. Introducing this attribute with a common bullet-timing feat from the Red Ribbon Saga if I recall correctly:

No Caption Provided

Goku didn't aim-dodge the bullets in case some interpret in that way, he actually saw the three of them travel towards him and shifted his head from side to side. Secondly, he's able to snatch a Dragon Ball radar from General Blue's hands as if it merely disappeared:

No Caption Provided

Goku is able to take out a couple of ninja clones almost instantaneously, surpassing both the speed of human sight and utterances:

No Caption Provided

Lastly, he's able to dodge lasers and appears a considerable distance away in the second instance which is applicable to Goku's combat speed in general:

No Caption Provided

I definitely wouldn't consider Luffy slow, however based off of from what I have seen he's inferior to Goku nonetheless so landing his strikes will be difficult to say the least. Anyway, moving onto the next primary aspect:

Goku's Durability:

As a Saiyan, Goku is born with super-human durability and at his youngest/weakest stages he has been shot and smashed in the head with axes to no significant avail. However, the relevance of those feats aren't applicable here as Luffy dishes out blunt-force trauma if i'm correct on saying that, and fortunately Goku is durable in that aspect too. Goku handles being smashed into a wall by Gilan and gets back up straight away:

No Caption Provided

Smashed through several stone structures by Yamcha:

No Caption Provided

Swats away a powerful jet missile, capable of taking out most of a mountain:

No Caption Provided

Tanks a forceful strike from a metallic robot to the face, which only led to a slightly noticeable bruising on his face:

No Caption Provided

After doing significant amount of training with Korin he's able to handle tanking blows from Taopaipai, a skillful assassin who has killed civilians with a single finger and paralyzed General Blue with his tongue, yet Goku took his blows while holding back:

Luffy is more importantly durable in the blunt-force trauma aspect so Goku isn't going to waste any time realizing that his first punch was futile, hence why he'll instead rely on his profound and unique Kamehameha to do the trick:

Goku's Energy Projection:

As there's doubt you're aware, the Kamehameha was a trick that required Master Roshi decades to master yet Goku's instinctive Saiyan combat intellect allowed him to pick up the technique in seconds. At it's first stage, it can bust cars:

No Caption Provided

While easily tearing his way through the entire Red Ribbon army, Goku uses the Kamehameha to handily incinerate two armored aircrafts:

No Caption Provided

And finally, Goku uses it to blow Bulma and Krillin out of an underwater cave to safety, probably taking apart the majority of it's interior considering he had previously used it whilst on the inside and shot outwards:

No Caption Provided

I figure that'll suffice for an opener at least. Goku's durability is sufficient to handle tanking every hit he'll take from Luffy, his speed permits to avoid the attacks he won't be able to consistently handle and his power will seal the deal against Luffy eventually. Though I did cut this opener rather shorter than usual it's because i'm usually better at countering first but nevertheless, it's your move Nick.

DeathHero61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DeathHero61
renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By renamed040924

@pope052: Nice, I will be able to reply on Sunday.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pope052:

I'll begin by pointing out the most prominent factor of the battle, and that's the fact that Luffy's rubber anatomy makes it nearly impossible for most to harm him via blunt force trauma unless they'd hit with the force of Superman

I know there's some debate over whether Luffy is completely immune to blunt force trauma or simply resistant to it, but as a bit of a One Piece addict, I can tell you that Eiichiro Oda, the author of the manga, made it abundantly clear very early on that Luffy is totally immune.

Loading Video...

"That won't work. I'm rubber."

Needless to say, not being able to punch or kick your opponent is a pretty big handicap in a fight. I mean sure Goku can still injure Luffy with a Kamehameha wave, but just imagine how difficult it's going to be to actually win when that is his sole method of offense. Meanwhile Luffy has a whole plethora of ways to go about attacking, giving him a large advantage right off the bat. If Goku was ridiculously faster than Luffy he might be able to pull this off, but unfortunately for him, he's not.

Introducing this attribute with a common bullet-timing feat from the Red Ribbon Saga if I recall correctly:

Luffy was already reacting to bullets in the very beginning of the series against Ax Hand Morgan. By Ennies Lobby, bullets weren't even a threat to the Straw Hat crew anymore as Zoro and Sanji easily dodged/deflected hundreds of them during their raid on the island. Luffy himself absently sidestepped a near point blank gunshot at the Sabaody Archipelago.

Loading Video...

Bullets have never been portrayed as a very big danger in One Piece. Luffy at age 7 was already boasting that his punches were stronger than pistols, so bullet timing feats don't really put Goku above Luffy.

Secondly, he's able to snatch a Dragon Ball radar from General Blue's hands as if it merely disappeared:

Goku is able to take out a couple of ninja clones almost instantaneously, surpassing both the speed of human sight and utterances:

I know the Red Ribbon Saga was far from Kid Goku's prime, but it was still three sagas in whereas characters in One Piece have been moving at those speeds since the second arc. Captain Kuro literally made his entire career off of his ability to move faster than people can react.

Even Usopp, who was about peak human at the time, couldn't react.

The Nyaban Brothers are killers actually known for their speed and ferocity, but Kuro might as well be teleporting when next to them. I think the scans speak for themselves really.

But most impressive of all, when Kuro set out to an enemy Marine ship all alone, he slaughtered every single soldier on board without getting shot once.

This scan serves to show Kuro's skill as well. Cannon fodder or no, defeating that many enemies at once is no joke. You can see some of them have been killed with their own weapons, and Kuro wasn't even breathing hard.

Now I know Goku basically did the same thing when he stormed the Red Ribbon Army's base, but that was the midpoint of the series, Goku was already super powerful by that point. Kuro on the other hand was the first serious villain to appear in One Piece. Now I'm not power scaling. The reason I bring Kuro up is because when he and Luffy fought, they were completely evenly matched.

http://img.mangahit.com/manga/0968/034850/15.jpg

http://img.mangahit.com/manga/0968/034850/16.jpg

http://img.mangahit.com/manga/0968/034850/17.jpg

http://img.mangahit.com/manga/0968/034850/18.jpg

Excuse the poor translation :P While it's clear that Kuro has an edge in raw speed, Luffy still matches him through agility and reflexes, two things that I am almost positive he has over Kid Goku as well.

http://img.mangahit.com/manga/0968/034851/17.jpg

http://img.mangahit.com/manga/0968/034851/18.jpg

http://img.mangahit.com/manga/0968/034851/19.jpg

Look at the distance between Kuro and Luffy in the above scans. Kuro's proven that he can clear such a distance instantly. In that instant, Luffy is able to rip up a huge chunk of Earth, use it to shield himself, and then clobber Kuro with the boulder after snapping his claws before he can react.

By this point Luffy had finished warming up, and he begins to totally outmatch Kuro. Besides his movement speed, Kuro was also able to outrace a point blank projectile from Usopp's slingshot easily, meaning that Luffy is actively fighting at above supersonic speeds in order to consistently tag Kuro. The cat claws captain is only able to regain his advantage by using his ultimate technique, the Shakushi.

http://img.mangahit.com/manga/0968/034852/16.jpg

http://img.mangahit.com/manga/0968/034852/17.jpg

http://img.mangahit.com/manga/0968/034852/18.jpg

http://img.mangahit.com/manga/0968/034852/19.jpg

http://img.mangahit.com/manga/0968/034852/20.jpg

In the above scans, Kuro gets desperate and begins moving so fast that not even he can see what he's doing, let alone everyone else. This isn't just dashing faster than people can react, the scene goes on for several minutes and Kuro is invisible the entire time. He's moving faster than the brain is capable of processing, and yet Luffy STILL manages to react and grab hold of him.

I don't believe Luffy himself was anywhere close to Shakushi speeds in the East Blue Saga. The scans illustrate that he couldn't see Kuro either. So how did he still dodge his hits and eventually win you ask? Well Luffy has one gigantic advantage over almost everyone he fights: Instinct.

Loading Video...

The clip speaks for itself. This is actually a very consistent skill of Luffy's that he uses all the time to dodge hits and whatnot. He was even able to outpace a man with precognition by completely shutting his brain off.

Loading Video...

Not a very effective tactic against Goku since Luffy isn't able to attack during the Gum Gum Daze, but it goes to show just how incredible his instincts are, when Enel had both a raw speed advantage as well as precognition but couldn't land a single hit. Luffy's instincts work in conjunction with his speed and agility to make him nearly untouchable. That's why every arc's main antagonist needs to be ridiculously faster than him (Kuro, Enel, Lucci) or just ridiculously more powerful (Arlong, Crocodile, Lucci again, Oars). When Luffy is up against someone actually in his league, he usually dominates them (most of the supporting villains in the series).

Lastly, he's able to dodge lasers and appears a considerable distance away in the second instance which is applicable to Goku's combat speed in general:

Luffy has dodged lasers too actually.

Loading Video...

You can see the entire Monster Trio evading the Pacifista's lasers in the beginning, Luffy specifically is clearly seen leaping over one.

As for the distance Goku traveled, Zoro was doing the same thing as soon as he entered the Grand Line.

Again I'm not power scaling. The reason I bring this up is because literally a few minutes after Zoro does this, Luffy shows up and the two have a fight.

Loading Video...

The implication is that they were even, but realistically Luffy was probably quicker, or at least more agile considering he was able to avoid getting cut while Zoro took several strong hits.

Anyway back to Kuro, I don't want you to think Goku is faster than Luffy just because I claimed Kuro was. Again Luffy fought Kuro in the second/third arc of the series. Let's jump up to Ennies Lobby real quick and see how he's doing there.

First and foremost, CP9 members all use a technique called Soru to move at great speeds. Oda has stated that the speeds are the same as Kuro's Shakushi, but unlike Kuro, CP9 members are able to see and react at those speeds as well. The very weakest member of CP9 is actually a lightning timer.

She can't move fast enough to dodge the bolt (probably because the cloud was only a few feet away from her head) but Kalifa actually reacted to lightning in time to bring up her soap shield.

Now this requires a bit of power scaling, but Kalifa is confirmed to be the weakest member of CP9, whereas Blueno's power level was a whole 200 points above her's. So let's see how he reacts to Luffy's attacks.

Loading Video...

The answer is he doesn't. Despite fully

So Gear Second Luffy's combat speed is faster than lightning. By comparison, Goku didn't reach that level until after his training under Popo.

Now onto durability.

Goku handles being smashed into a wall by Gilan and gets back up straight away:

Ehhhhhh I'm not all to impressed. The wall didn't even break.

Smashed through several stone structures by Yamcha:

That's pretty impressive, but I wonder how Goku would react if instead of four stone columns, Yamcha punched him through several miles of solid bedrock, lifting up several buildings in the process and rupturing an entire city block with enough spare energy to launch him high into the sky.

Loading Video...

Needless to say, Luffy's strikes and Yamcha's strikes aren't very comparable.

Swats away a powerful jet missile, capable of taking out most of a mountain:

The explosion destroyed the mountain, all Goku did was overpower the thrusters.

Tanks a forceful strike from a metallic robot to the face, which only led to a slightly noticeable bruising on his face:

Well we don't really know how strong that robot was.

After doing significant amount of training with Korin he's able to handle tanking blows from Taopaipai, a skillful assassin who has killed civilians with a single finger and paralyzed General Blue with his tongue, yet Goku took his blows while holding back:

Now that's pretty impressive! However I don't think Tao's strikes are in Luffy's league either. His best strength feat is throwing a stone column several miles away, but Luffy was able to send Buggy the clown flying a similar distance within the first arc of One Piece.

Loading Video...

It's later revealed that Buggy landed on another island.

Again that is the first arc of One Piece. By the time of Marineford, Luffy's power has grown to indescribable heights, and on top of that to further enhance his striking power, he can go into Gear Third.

Loading Video...

The first time he used it on-screen, he momentarily oneshotted Lucci through his Iron Body (which can take 100 ton hits like absolutely nothing) and shattered two very large buildings.

Luffy refers to this as "the arm of a giant," but it's actually way more powerful considering he was able to oneshot giants at Marineford, and his most powerful technique was able to smash Oz's face in and shatter his spine.

Loading Video...

Oz is the most powerful giant in history and was known as the "continent puller."

So we already know Luffy is at a huge advantage with being immune to Goku's strikes. By comparison, I believe Luffy's strikes are seriously going to test the Saiyan's endurance, and a well aimed Gigant technique could end things right there. Goku's only method of offense is the Kamehameha, but that's not enough to defeat the future king of the pirates.

At it's first stage, it can bust cars:

That was early Goku. For comparison, early Luffy was able to tank dozens of explosions from Don Krieg's battle axe, each of which were probably comparable to Goku's first Kamehameha.

Loading Video...

This clip actually cuts out a large section of the fight where Sanji and Zef are having a conversation, and all you hear are explosions in the background. Additionally he was impaled by multiple giant lead stakes, and punched through Krieg's spiked battle coat. Now all that said, this is actually a nothing feat for Luffy. He could have gotten blasted by that ax all day. We know he wasn't struggling because he just kept smiling, when he's really hurting he usually starts screaming about friendship and stuff.

While easily tearing his way through the entire Red Ribbon army, Goku uses the Kamehameha to handily incinerate two armored aircrafts:

Mr. 5, who could turn any part of his body into an explosive device, used his boogers to kill people. Against Luffy he exploded his entire body, with the resulting explosion destroying a large building and wrecking the surrounding area while Luffy didn't even notice.

And finally, Goku uses it to blow Bulma and Krillin out of an underwater cave to safety, probably taking apart the majority of it's interior considering he had previously used it whilst on the inside and shot outwards:

That's kind of a big assumption, we don't see any of the destruction the wave causes, all we see is the ship being propelled forward.

I figure that'll suffice for an opener at least. Goku's durability is sufficient to handle tanking every hit he'll take from Luffy, his speed permits to avoid the attacks he won't be able to consistently handle and his power will seal the deal against Luffy eventually.

Basically to surmise, if Goku's only method of offense is Kamehamehas, he simply can not win. They take time to charge, in that time Luffy will have started punching Goku in the face. Goku can try and gain some distance, but Luffy's entire schtick is that he can stretch. Goku could just try and spam blasts without charging, but then they won't be powerful enough to put Luffy down.

Meanwhile Luffy is clearly packing the striking strength to put Goku in some serious pain. His will power/endurance feats are far more plentiful, meaning if worst comes to worst he can outlast Goku, but it probably won't come to that since Luffy's damage output is vastly superior (due to Goku's limited methods of offense). On top of all that Luffy has an advantage in his Gears, which can easily sway the fight in his favor at the last minute.

Pope052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pope052

@nickzambuto:

I know there's some debate over whether Luffy is completely immune to blunt force trauma or simply resistant to it, but as a bit of a One Piece addict, I can tell you that Eiichiro Oda, the author of the manga, made it abundantly clear very early on that Luffy is totally immune.

Needless to say, not being able to punch or kick your opponent is a pretty big handicap in a fight. I mean sure Goku can still injure Luffy with a Kamehameha wave, but just imagine how difficult it's going to be to actually win when that is his sole method of offense. Meanwhile Luffy has a whole plethora of ways to go about attacking, giving him a large advantage right off the bat. If Goku was ridiculously faster than Luffy he might be able to pull this off, but unfortunately for him, he's not.

Although the argument is irrelevant here, I don't grasp the logic of how a "that won't work, i'm rubber!" statement could suggest that Luffy is capable of shrugging off punches sufficient to shatter planets (say from a Super Saiyan 3) if he hasn't received a blow remotely coming close to witnessing that amount of force before. Sure, if the author has confirmed Luffy's immunity to blunt force damage then we'd all have to concede, but if it's only implied based from just the enemies in One Piece? No, I for one wouldn't trust that argument in the slightest but then again i'm getting too off topic and questioning of Luffy's immunity when it obviously doesn't apply here. Of course Goku is at a tremendous disadvantage by lacking the ability to harm Luffy by solely melee damage however, as the upcoming feats shall suggest he'll emerge victorious throughout his speed and energy, and I must agree with the premise of Goku being massively faster than Luffy basing my judgement off of what I have seen and debated against once. I feel Goku will obtain a difficult victory, but a victory nonetheless.

Luffy was already reacting to bullets in the very beginning of the series against Ax Hand Morgan. By Ennies Lobby, bullets weren't even a threat to the Straw Hat crew anymore as Zoro and Sanji easily dodged/deflected hundreds of them during their raid on the island. Luffy himself absently sidestepped a near point blank gunshot at the Sabaody Archipelago. Bullets have never been portrayed as a very big danger in One Piece. Luffy at age 7 was already boasting that his punches were stronger than pistols, so bullet timing feats don't really put Goku above Luffy.

Red Ribbon Firearms > Pirate Flintlock Pistols, Goku's feat is better as we're given an obvious demonstration that he saw the bullets and reacted accordingly. As for Luffy, all that we saw was him walking towards the pirate and heard the gunshots, we're given little indication as to whether Luffy dodged the couple of bullets before or after they were fired but this is merely nitpicking and i'm sure Luffy can properly react to bullets as there's more instances to choose from. I didn't intend for Goku's feat to put him above Luffy as I have plenty in stock for that, it's just to demonstrate the basics of his speed but if you'd like something a little more unparalleled, Goku left an afterimage when a bullet was fired, appeared behind lacking indication of movement and swatted the soldier afterwards:

No Caption Provided

I know the Red Ribbon Saga was far from Kid Goku's prime, but it was still three sagas in whereas characters in One Piece have been moving at those speeds since the second arc. Captain Kuro literally made his entire career off of his ability to move faster than people can react. Even Usopp, who was about peak human at the time, couldn't react. The Nyaban Brothers are killers actually known for their speed and ferocity, but Kuro might as well be teleporting when next to them. I think the scans speak for themselves really. But most impressive of all, when Kuro set out to an enemy Marine ship all alone, he slaughtered every single soldier on board without getting shot once.

Unfortunately none of these scans appeared and the provided links don't work, i'm not sure if it's just for me however I can't take your word that these feats could stalemate Goku's standard as he didn't only move faster than people can react to as these feats suggest. Instead, none of his movements could be perceived or detected at all and it appeared as if the ninja clones collapsed themselves with Goku merely standing alongside them so I can't consider these listed feats to contend with Goku's standard until they're demonstrated. Even if they do, I don't see how they''d apply to Luffy unless we're going down the road of power-scaling, a premise I generally agree with but disregard when brought into formal debating such as this one. If so, I could pull a certain moon busting feat from a Master Roshi coupled with the beam being faster than light to use just because Goku is more powerful, but you wouldn't like that.

Kuro on the other hand was the first serious villain to appear in One Piece. Now I'm not power scaling. The reason I bring Kuro up is because when he and Luffy fought, they were completely evenly matched. While it's clear that Kuro has an edge in raw speed, Luffy still matches him through agility and reflexes, two things that I am almost positive he has over Kid Goku as well. Look at the distance between Kuro and Luffy in the above scans. Kuro's proven that he can clear such a distance instantly. In that instant, Luffy is able to rip up a huge chunk of Earth, use it to shield himself, and then clobber Kuro with the boulder after snapping his claws before he can react. By this point Luffy had finished warming up, and he begins to totally outmatch Kuro. Besides his movement speed, Kuro was also able to outrace a point blank projectile from Usopp's slingshot easily, meaning that Luffy is actively fighting at above supersonic speeds in order to consistently tag Kuro. The cat claws captain is only able to regain his advantage by using his ultimate technique, the Shakushi. In the above scans, Kuro gets desperate and begins moving so fast that not even he can see what he's doing, let alone everyone else. This isn't just dashing faster than people can react, the scene goes on for several minutes and Kuro is invisible the entire time. He's moving faster than the brain is capable of processing, and yet Luffy STILL manages to react and grab hold of him.

Ah, I suppose I spoke to soon about the power-scaling business however the links seemingly aren't working mate. I'll take your words for it though, however I don't believe the previous feats listed for Kuro could equalize Goku's standard just yet as i'd need to see them with my own eyes first to make a comparison. I might accept Luffy's edge in agility, but reflexes? Not at all, but Goku can maneuver efficiently too such as jumping considerably high and by controlling the direction of his Kamehameha:

No Caption Provided

Plus, he can repel his falling speed and gain leverage while airborne so his maneuverability coupled with his speed will aid him against Luffy's overwhelming durability and stretchable limbs. Though the following scan of Luffy striking Kuro showed up except it's hardly anything to celebrate over in comparison to Goku. I won't repeat myself about the rest of the links being broken however due to that i'm not convinced Kuro's feats would put Luffy on par with Goku, close to Goku's Red Ribbon combat speed maybe but overall they sound less impressive and feats of fighting similar to speed-blitzing opposed to instantaneous movement performed by Goku on a number of occasions and more/superior feats so progressing further into the sagas that'll be showcased as we go. Luffy may be able to exchange a couple of punches, but hardly anything do deal a significant amount of damage.

Not a very effective tactic against Goku since Luffy isn't able to attack during the Gum Gum Daze, but it goes to show just how incredible his instincts are, when Enel had both a raw speed advantage as well as precognition but couldn't land a single hit. Luffy's instincts work in conjunction with his speed and agility to make him nearly untouchable. That's why every arc's main antagonist needs to be ridiculously faster than him (Kuro, Enel, Lucci) or just ridiculously more powerful (Arlong, Crocodile, Lucci again, Oars). When Luffy is up against someone actually in his league, he usually dominates them (most of the supporting villains in the series).

While the instances are impressive showings of Luffy's instinct indeed, I don't see how either ability would prove to be of much use against Goku especially if he decided to turn his brain off so you're right on saying it's not an effective tactic to use against the Saiyan, especially since Goku will be outpacing Luffy and not predicting Luffy's movements necessarily. Luffy isn't going to be untouchable at all in this battle as his speed is utterly outmatched, and Goku's adaptive skill is probably more notable considering he could learn you know, a decade worthy technique in seconds just by seeing it being performed:

No Caption Provided

Not to mention Goku's skill in martial arts, and his general ability to perform in technique much greater than most other people could so i'd argue that Goku's adept combat ability outweighs Luffy's instinct abilities based on their usefulness against one another. For instance, Goku would find out rather quickly that Luffy can't be harmed physically so he'll resort to his energy projection, where as Goku has no weaknesses or anything for Luffy to exploit.

As for the distance Goku traveled, Zoro was doing the same thing as soon as he entered the Grand Line.

It wasn't as big of a distance as the one Goku had covered which was comparable to the distance the laser fired at him had covered, plus the fact he actually appeared on top of a building which would take longer than coming down off of one. I wouldn't consider this applicable to Luffy though, because Zoro traveled a marginal distance where as the two fought up close and personal so there's at least some differences to consider before comparing.

Now this requires a bit of power scaling, but Kalifa is confirmed to be the weakest member of CP9, whereas Blueno's power level was a whole 200 points above her's. So let's see how he reacts to Luffy's attacks. So Gear Second Luffy's combat speed is faster than lightning. By comparison, Goku didn't reach that level until after his training under Popo.

Blueno's listed level may be higher, but I don't see how that has anything to do with speed unless One Piece shares the "linear power/attribute increases" with Dragon Ball although I for one have never heard nor seen of such a reference but if so that'll still need to be proven. Anyway, if we accept power scaling into the equation I figure the best way to go by it is if Blueno has performed anything that suggests his abilities is superior or bested better opposition than Kalifa has failed to do but on the other hand by feats and descriptions of performed feats, Goku is definitely faster than Luffy so beginning with the after-image technique, Goku has left seven of them whilst training with Korin and eight against Tien so Luffy will be hitting the wrong Goku more often than not considering the comparable speed of the characters Goku has fooled by using this technique:

No Caption Provided

Although there's no true way to quantify the speed of after images, they're definitely above the super sonic range considering how Goku had used one to outpace gunfire earlier and against characters such as Master Roshi who is clearly a hyper sonic character so i'd put them roughly around that margin of speed. Next, Goku has moved fast enough to counter an eight-arm technique and actually replicated this against Tien later in their fight:

No Caption Provided

Probably noteworthy to his ability to adapt to newer techniques too, i'll conclude this short section of speed to save the best feats for later by merging a plethora of scans together showcasing Goku's ability to hit many times in a second. The best instance within these scans is speed blitzing Krillin with a span of nine karate chops appearing as if Krillin had only flung himself out of the ring to the human eye:

Thus far, for Luffy to even so much as land a hit or keep up with Goku's limb speed he'd need to be able to exchange amounts of attacks per second and his pure combat speed would need to be able to move and battle completely invisibly. In terms of reaction speed, Goku has reacted to a solar flare from Tien so that's another feat to consider in terms of landing a hit on the Saiyan at all so i'm confident in saying Goku is purely faster than Luffy. That's enough on speed, so now let's continue onto Goku's durability to how he'd soak the attacks Luffy may land:

That's pretty impressive, but I wonder how Goku would react if instead of four stone columns, Yamcha punched him through several miles of solid bedrock, lifting up several buildings in the process and rupturing an entire city block with enough spare energy to launch him high into the sky.

Except this is Goku before any significant power up or training whatsoever so he'd obviously be considerably less durable but anyway, for these forceful hits on Luffy's part to take effect he'll need to able to actually hit Goku in the first place. I'm not convinced that Luffy could properly contend in speed, so you'll need to do some solid convincing in order to justify these excelling striking feats for them to mean anything to Goku.

The explosion destroyed the mountain, all Goku did was overpower the thrusters.

No, the rocket contained enough force to destroy the mountain and Goku's kick was strong enough to swat that amount of force away.

Well we don't really know how strong that robot was.

It doesn't matter, Goku was still struck with a giant fist of metal and only resulted in a marked face but perhaps a more sufficient feat would be smiling off blows from a powerful mummy while smashed into a stone statue and proceeded to one shot him, an opponent Yamcha couldn't even scratch:

Now that's pretty impressive! However I don't think Tao's strikes are in Luffy's league either. His best strength feat is throwing a stone column several miles away, but Luffy was able to send Buggy the clown flying a similar distance within the first arc of One Piece.

Physical Strength =/= Striking Power, and i'd play the devil's advocate by suggesting Taopaipai's attacks are in league to contend with Luffy considering he either paralyzed or killed (the difference doesn't necessarily matter) a super human with a touch of his tongue. There's not many characters on Tao's level or even slightly above who could replicate that hell i'd even say Luffy couldn't do that himself, so imagine the strength of his full force punches whilst enraged and trying to kill you? They'd be pretty damn powerful to say the least, so this durability feat is sufficient enough to say Goku can handle tanking attacks from Luffy moderately at least. Though Luffy will still be causing Goku some damage as your following feats of Buggy the Clown/Third Gear suggest, he'd be handling them relatively well for a while but that's assuming Luffy can touch him but anyway onto energy projection:

That was early Goku. For comparison, early Luffy was able to tank dozens of explosions from Don Krieg's battle axe, each of which were probably comparable to Goku's first Kamehameha. Mr. 5, who could turn any part of his body into an explosive device, used his boogers to kill people. Against Luffy he exploded his entire body, with the resulting explosion destroying a large building and wrecking the surrounding area while Luffy didn't even notice. That's kind of a big assumption, we don't see any of the destruction the wave causes, all we see is the ship being propelled forward.

• His Kamehameha is a lot more powerful than it was in it's first instance but energy projection is arguably separate than just tanking regular explosions as it's compacted of Goku's spiritual energy and strength instead of manufactured explosives, so Goku will be damaging Luffy as long as Luffy quite significantly unless Luffy has handled energy based attacks before. I'm not saying Luffy won't be able to tank em, but energy is different than explosives.
  • Not really, Goku blasted himself Bulma and Krillin out of the cave before they'd drowned while inside the cave at first and he noticeably took at least the frontal entrance of the cave as a side effect considering the explosion it created.

Conclusion:

Although Goku is at a disadvantage at the beginning of not being able to harm Luffy throughout physical means, he'll soon start to rely on his Kamehameha in order to deal significant amounts of damage to Luffy while possessing the necessary speed to avoid Luffy for the most part an durability to soak a fair amount of the straw hatted boy's powerful hits. Combine Goku's advantages here with his resourceful ways of maneuverability plus his instinctive combatant intellect and that's mostly the reason as to why I believe the Saiyan shall prevail in a difficult fight to say the least.

DeathHero61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pope052: That was great but there is no way you are ending the debate there are you?

Pope052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DeathHero61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pope052 said:

@deathhero61:

What do you mean?

I assumed when you put conclusion that you were trying to end the debate there lol, guess i was wrong. And you should start showing some of goku's later feats.(this is goku before z right? Teen goku?)

Pope052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathhero61:

Oh right, no I just put a conclusion at the end of most of my posts really. I'll start showing Goku's better feats in later posts, however this is only Kid Goku and i'm only obliged to use feats up until his training with Popo but I can't go further i'm afraid.

DeathHero61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Avatar image for super_saiyan_scientist_tomako
Super_Saiyan_Scientist_Tomako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pope052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc@saren@god_spawn

We've decided to redo this thread for a couple of reasons so we'd appreciate if you'd lock this, thanks.