CaV: Gromph Baenre (Floopay) vs. Centurious (CadenceV2)

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Floopay

Rules:

• Win via KO, Death, Incapacitation, Complete Submission
  • 1 day prep
  • Knowledge of opponents name and an outline of their abilities (pretty much what you can find on a wiki)
  • Only can use equipment they've been shown using

Battlefield: The Ruins of Khersones

• The sun just went down
  • Both combatants have just arrived
  • Start within 100 feet of each other
  • Do not necessarily know where the other is (in case Centurious is a stealther I'll give him this advantage)

The Contenders:

Centurious (CadenceV2)

Gromph Baenre (Floopay)

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Pokergeist

@Floopay: I too Should do one of those.

Centurious

Overvew:

Race: Human

Profession: Mystic Art Sorceror

Permanent Effects:Immortal, Souless, Detect Mystic Power.

Enhanced Stats and Racial abilities

High Reflexes: As a drow, Gromph possesses above average reflexes to those of a human being.

Super Strength and Durabilty: Souless Man can Augment his Strength and Durability to a 2 Ton Range. He also can be KO but not killed Physicaly.

Genius Level Intelligence: Souless Man study many Mystic Arts across the World since before Egyption Period.

Natural Spells: Has Mystic Blast, Teleportation, Soul Stealing, Minnion Summoning, Grant Eternal Life, Wind Control, and Puppet Mastery over Souless Husks.

Specialty Equipment (Oh Boy!)

Crystal of Souls: A Crystal Spere that houses all the Souls he has collected and increasers his power to match Ghost Rider.

Ghost Rider Chain: After Curropting this Chain he was given a small boost in power.

Bamsky.

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Floopay

Alright, as always, a brief overview of my chosen character:

Gromph Baenre

Overvew:

Race: Drow, a.k.a Dark Elf

Profession: Archmage (spell caster, wizard, diviner)

Permanent Effects:See invisible, dark vision (enables full vision regardless of the lighting), detect magic

Enhanced Stats and Racial abilities

High Reflexes: As a drow, Gromph possesses above average reflexes to those of a human being.

Genius Level Intelligence: Gromph is extremely intelligent, and a well accomplished spell caster. He is the archmage of one of the greatest wizard academies of his world.

Natural Spells: Gromph can do the following because of his race: magical darkness, dancing lights, faerie fire

Specialty Equipment (Oh Boy!)

Archmage Robes: Not only do they allow him to store near limitless spell supplies, but they instantly come to him when he reaches for spells! Also provides great resistance to impact damage, as well as to the elements, and magic.

Piwafwi of Resistance: Provides extra resistance towards elements and magic, as well as a slight degree of protection against incoming damage.

Ring of Protection: Provides extra resistance toward physical damage

Ring of Regeneration: Provides extreme regeneration, perhaps even Wolverine level. Was able to reattach his leg in several minutes (not regrow mind you).

Drow House Insignia: Allows levitation at will

Various Scrolls, Rods, and Wands: He has several wands and scrolls within his robes, all of which have a wide variety of spells attached to them. I may be using these as they appear several times within the books.

Boots of Speed: Allow Gromph to move faster than normal

Soulstealing Axe: Has the soul of a mindflayer in it. Powerful chopping item.

Staff of Power: Has the following abilities:

• Magic Missile
  • Ray of enfeeblement
  • Continual flame
  • Levitate
  • Lightning Bolt
  • Fireball
  • Cone of Cold
  • Hold Monster
  • Wall of Force
  • Globe of Invulnerability

I do have actual feats with it. Also, it increases his resistance to magic, elements, and physical damage.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Laurcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Laurcus

I just wanted to say real quick that I think this battle is awesome, and high level D&D characters don't see enough action on Comic Vine imo. And on that note I will leave since I know this battle is just between you two.

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Floopay

@Laurcus said:

I just wanted to say real quick that I think this battle is awesome, and high level D&D characters don't see enough action on Comic Vine imo. And on that note I will leave since I know this battle is just between you two.

I've always been a huge D&D nerd. Even more than I liked comics I liked Dungeons and Dragons (Faerun in particular). And as much as I have enjoyed the Drizzt series, Elminster, the Mercenary series (I forget what it's called, but the one with Jarlaxle and Artemis Entreri), the War of the Spider Queen series has always stood out most. And through it all Pharaun has probably become my favorite D&D wizard of all time, and Gromph became a close second.

Your comment is noted and appreciated. We'll call you back when it's time to vote :)

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pokergeist

@Floopay: Sweet. Alright. Centurious being the Immortal he is would set up camp somewhere for a quick ritual to summon a Minion to search for him.

No Caption Provided

As Seen here he can Asorb the Souls of anyone he chooses without any much trouble. However it appears those with Magic ability seem immune. More average Human level, maybe weak minded.

Either way he can asorb and resummon his souls like the Soilder Girl in this pick. She be a fine Human to summon as she has military and mercenary experiance to track down the oppossition. He can also Grant her immortality to Physical harm as he did Death Ninja.

Who couldnt be killed but by total Hellfire Obliteration.

With One Day Prep Centurious can also feed off the Souls of others and mass a small 10 Man Puppet army to march with. (I use 10 man as these scans show).

With them at his beck and call as a Human Shield Im certain to progress easier to your guy once located.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Then Centurious will attack with his power. In this case a powerful mystic blast that can knock Back Ghost Rider till he will move up on you with the Puppet Army and Centurious Superior Strength.

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Pokergeist

@Floopay: Edited my Post BTW. Info on Centurios as well.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Crom-Cruach

Gromph cast Wish, level 9 spell and blinks Centurios out of existence, fight over. Or if he's being generous, will cast contingent foresight and gate, summon 4 abyssal great wyrm then activate contigent gate etheareal jaunt. Fight over.

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Floopay

@Crom-Cruach said:

Gromph cast Wish, level 9 spell and blinks Centurios out of existence, fight over. Or if he's being generous, will cast contingent foresight and gate, summon 4 abyssal great wyrm then activate contigent gate etheareal jaunt. Fight over.

Is that how he defeated Dyrr? Seriously though, that's a game mechanic, none of the books have anything to support that any of the wizards can do something of that magnitude. The most a wish spell was able to do in the series I read was get rid of Gromph's Sapphire Skull.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Crom-Cruach

@Floopay said:

Is that how he defeated Dyrr? Seriously though, that's a game mechanic, none of the books have anything to support that any of the wizards can do something of that magnitude.

False all wizards with wish in their Arsenal can do this that's what wish does.You read enough FR and DnD setting books and it's shown more then a few times. Szass Tam alone has used wish at least 3 times to just hand wave things away by just conjuring the effect he wants into existence. And even then, Gromph is a diviner with contigent warning spells and defenses on himself. He can just gate in dragons or bound demons of such power that they are capable of laying waste to entire continents by themselves with their own abilities. Epic level DnD wizards are in fluff magnitudes more powerful then this Centurios.

seriously there's just so many ways that Gromph can screw over centurious it's not even funny.

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Floopay

@Crom-Cruach said:

@Floopay said:

Is that how he defeated Dyrr? Seriously though, that's a game mechanic, none of the books have anything to support that any of the wizards can do something of that magnitude.

False all wizards with wish in their Arsenal can do this that's what wish does.You read enough FR and DnD setting books and it's shown more then a few times. Szass Tam alone has used wish at least 3 times to just hand wave things away by just conjuring the effect he wants into existence. And even then, Gromph is a diviner with contigent warning spells and defenses on himself. He can just gate in dragons or bound demons of such power that they are capable of laying waste to entire continents by themselves with their own abilities. Epic level DnD wizards are in fluff magnitudes more powerful then this Centurios.

seriously there's just so many ways that Gromph can screw over centurious it's not even funny.

Gromph wasn't able to do any of that, even with wish in his arsenal. Otherwise he could have simply "wished" Nimor away, or "wished" away the effects of Dyrr petrify effects against the swarms of drow he destroyed. Or he could have gated in a dragon to save Menzoberranzan. But he did none of those things. In fact the most powerful thing he conjured during the entire WotSQ series was a few demons to send against his sister.

Gromph isn't an evocationist, a conjurer, or a necromancer. He's a diviner. Please do not debate in this thread, it is mean for Cadence and myself to debate, and we are both providing actual feats, not what a D&D wizard "could" do, but what they "have" done. Again, this is for Cadence and myself to debate. And Centurious isn't exactly a lightweight either.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pokergeist

@Floopay said:

@Crom-Cruach said:

@Floopay said:

Gromph wasn't able to do any of that, even with wish in his arsenal. Otherwise he could have simply "wished" Nimor away, or "wished" away the effects of Dyrr petrify effects against the swarms of drow he destroyed. Or he could have gated in a dragon to save Menzoberranzan. But he did none of those things. In fact the most powerful thing he conjured during the entire WotSQ series was a few demons to send against his sister.

Gromph isn't an evocationist, a conjurer, or a necromancer. He's a diviner. Please do not debate in this thread, it is mean for Cadence and myself to debate, and we are both providing actual feats, not what a D&D wizard "could" do, but what they "have" done. Again, this is for Cadence and myself to debate. And Centurious isn't exactly a lightweight either.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Yeah. Centurious defeated Zarathos not once, not twice, but 3 TIMES!!!

So Blllaaaahhh. (Sticking Tongue out)

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pokergeist

@Floopay: Face ME!!!

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Floopay

@CadenceV2:

Alright, using his prep time, Gromph will have his mages cast their extra defenses on him prior to battle. Then teleport him to the battlefield. Why do I do this? Because most of his feats I'm using are from his battle with the lichdrow, so he's going in with the same level of defenses as he had there. However, he will not have his telepathic link opened up with his allies (they will be well out of reach).

Gromph's Pain Tolerance: Is at least Punisher level or higher, just something I thought I'd bring up. He's endured having his eyes eaten out by a rat, having his leg severed mid-battle, and bleeding dang near to death.

List of Feats for Gromph:

Gromph's Answer to your souls:

Here, Gromph uses his magic to turn a small army of undead back against the forces they were previously helping

Gromph conjures a globe of protections from his staff

Again, controlling undead (including spirits) is childsplay for Gromph, his Sapphire skull should allow him to do this with no more than a wave of his hand.

Gromph empowers the little undead beast, so that any attack made against it will be countered with showers of powerful magical fire, and he shields it as well, so it requires more to kill it. Pretty clever eh?

Gromph turns himself ethereal, with renders him pretty much immune to physical attacks unless they are magically empowered

The Giant Centipede the lichdrow conjured snips his leg completely off, but he still continues fighting and casting. He then continues to cast a spell powerful enough to banish the centipede, remove most of his own minor defenses, and shatter his assailants magical weapon

Gromph's protective globe that he can conjure multiple times with his staff, is powerful enough to deter magical lightning with no effect. While simultaneously he is protected by a fiery shield he conjures on himself earlier in the battle

Gromph is stabbed through the heart, as you can see, his ring of regeneration begins knitting both parts of his leg back together in this scan, Wolverine style!

More of the ring of regeneration. It not only keeps his heart going with the dagger in it, but it pushes the dagger out of his body as he heals. Sends out another wave of fire at Nimor, and by the time the lichdrow and the half-dragon have finished their assault, his wounds are fully healed. He also conjures an invisible wall of force in this scan.

Gromph conjures some quick magical attacks against the lich!

Gromph destroys his staff and creates massive destruction across the Bazaar. Nearly kills him, through all his defenses, and incinerates the lichdrow.

Explanation for the Scans:

Now then, most of these scans show Gromph using fire based attacks. However, he can do almost anything you saw the lichdrow doing here as well. Everything from cones of cold, lightning, magical bolts of force, dispells, etc. The reason he is using so much fire, is because one of the key weaknesses of a lich is fire, so he memorized his spells around that weakness.

Gromph has a clear versatility advantage in here, in this battle alone he does the following:

• Controls undead, on multiple occasions
  • Uses flight, and levitation
  • Creates invisible force walls
  • Becomes ethereal to escape the stomach of a giant centipede
  • Creates a protective globe capable of dampening or blocking magic effects
  • Creating a protective fiery shield
  • Giving himself perfect precognition (like 5 seconds worth)
  • Creating magical daggers that seek out their target at blinding speeds
  • Creating an anti-magic field, that stops ALL magic and ALL magic defenses/enhancements, including his own
  • Regenerates at pretty impressive speeds
  • Conjure fireballs
  • Run at speeds well above those of your average person (due to his boots of speed)
  • Teleport using a dimensional door (over a dozen yards instantly, you open it and walk through it like a normal door and appear where you want)
  • Dispel magic, including magically summoned creatures, and destroy magic items.

Him and Centurious are probably about equal in terms of experience. Gromph is well over a thousand years old, and a well accomplished sorcerer. I think Centurious is about the same.

Physical stats go to Centurious, for obvious reasons. Versatility goes to Gromph by a lot, with his magic he can replicate a lot of what Centurious is capable of doing, and counter most of it as well. He also has regeneration to contend, as well as flight, and lots of defensive magic.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Floopay

@CadenceV2 said:

@Floopay: Face ME!!!

Oh, I already brought it! I look forward to your rebuttal!

BOOM!

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pokergeist

Few More Feats of Centurious.

Here We Have Centurius First Battle with the Zarathos Control Rider. He shows the Super Strength and Durability. As well Immunity to the searing Heat of Hellfire and its Soul Burn. His Souls then actually force the Mystical/Magical/Divine (however you look at it) Zarathos down and forces Jhonny to Emerge.

Add to that I belive becuase they are living and not Dead or Undead the Puppet army should be untouch by Necromancer Magic. The Anti Shield should work but nothing in your arsenal vs Zombies.

Here is the Second Battle. We see more of the same Physical Power and Skill. He Battles Zarathos back down from Control as well. He also shows a powerful Tempest Wind Spell in the last page.

No Caption Provided

Here we See Centuirous Teleporting Power as well Wind Power blow away 2 Powerful Lillin that had easily face Ketch Ghost Rider. He also shows his ability to sense powerful Magiks.

My Adavantages are as listed.

• Strength around 2 Tons
  • Durability to withstand 2 ton hits
  • Immunity to Hellfire (Physical Fire and Soul Fire)
  • Teleportation in and out of Combat.
  • Range Attacks in Mystical Blast or 10 Ton Tempest Winds.
  • Magik Sensing
  • Living Puppets in Human Bodies and Vermin.
  • H2H Skill.
  • Magic Depowering Souls from his Soul Crystal.
  • A Single Living and Immortal Minnion like the Death Ninja or the Mercenary Chick.

I have a huge advantage in Range as well a Puppet Army of 10 humans and Many Vermin like Rats. Added to that a Single Immortal Living Minnion. Then I can Teleport and fling Ton weighted Objects or Razor Sharp Objects at ya. Finaly if all else fails Centurious has shown Magic Hampering Abilities with his Souls by depowering Zarathos 3 Times.

Im ready to close this simple short and sweet match when you are.

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Floopay

@CadenceV2:

A spirit without a body in DnD is classified as undead. Gromph's necromancy should prove formidable against them. He has proven that he can even control the likes of demons, and once forcibly reshaped one as it resisted him in unrelenting agony. He had prep for that, but again, these are mere souls of the living, Gromph should be able to control a handful of them if needed, and be relatively well shielded against the others.

Gromph vs. the Lichdrow, Round 1

This is prior to their second fight. In this fight, Gromph is completely unprepared for battle, but he has the homefield advantage. The lich, however, is both ready for battle and already has his magic defenses up.

With a single Prismatic spray, Gromph produces a spell that sends out acid powerful enough to melt stone, powerful electricity, powerful fire (not in the description, but part of the spell), a killing spell (probably not gonna work against the soul less man), and a fear spell. He follows this with a spell meant to turn a caster's spell back on himself, something that could prove very useful in battle here. Then proceeds to cast a spell powerful enough to burn a hole through the lich's chest and turn the parts of his body it hit into dust, the lich moves out of the way just in time to not be disintegrated outright....

Here, Gromph summons eight meteors and hurls them at his opponent. Each one of blinding white energy and detonates in "a stone-shattering explosion that demolished great gaping pieces of the undead sorcerer". The lich unleashes a set of saw blades capable of carving through stone and obsidian, yet Gromph's defenses were enough to make the blades glance off him, leaving deep, but non-fatal wounds.

Gromph here conjures a powerful defensive spell that can shield him against most mystical attacks. The lichdrow is too powerful however, and overcomes this defense and defeats Gromph.

This battle ended in Gromph's defeat, but considering that Gromph wasn't prepared for battle, and the lich came fully expecting it, I'd say he did very well, and demonstrated admirable feats here.

Gromph vs. A band of assailants, Gromph's knowledge on magic displayed after

This is Gromph against a group of ogres and orcs. Ogres are at least in the 1 ton range or greater as far as max lift should be concerned, as they can bend steel bars with some effort. They ambush Gromph as a small army. With a wand he dissolves an ogre outright, and then proceeds to obliterate his assailants as they run away in fear....

Gromph helps these wizards conjure a storm. This is something most of them have never seen, as they live underground. Gromph, being much more experienced, has been to the surface, and knows water is the best way to counter large amounts of fire (they seldom come across the need for such a thing in the Underdark).

Gromph's magical fire is not hellfire, nor conventional fire, and it does provide huge amounts of force behind impact, depending on the spell.

Spell's Gromph Demonstrates here:

• Dispels magic
  • Telekinesis, powerful enough to throw an adamantium rod from the Lich's grasps, and impale it into his magically fortified stone wall like a javelin.
  • Reflects a spell back at the caster
  • A wand, that produces a single drop of acid that explodes and is extremely corrosive
  • Prismatic Spray, which produces stone melting acid, stone shattering fire, powerful magical lightning, fear, and death (again, soul less should be immune to the latter)
  • Prismatic Sphere, which provides powerful defenses against magical attacks, and renders him even more resistant to physical attacks. Again, this is on a timer, doesn't last forever.
  • A beam capable of disintegrating most anything it comes in contact with.

Over and above this I have shown that Gromph, even without his extra defenses, is extremely well protected against physical force. Those saws the Lich summoned cut through obsidian and stone and only left deep wounds in Gromph. They very well should have shredded through him like butter, but his defenses proved greater. Over and above this, with prep, he will be even more resistant. That centipede cut his leg off, but that thing was stated to weigh several hundred tons, and was massive in size.

Now then, obviously less force than what the centipede can throw out can harm Gromph, but Nimor had to have been in the 2 ton range or higher, and was harming Gromph pretty handily, but Gromph's defenses held true against most attacks against him.

I'm running out of scans, how about you?

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Floopay

@CadenceV2:

Oh, right! An actually strategy, I should have one of those. Just realized I've pretty much posted a compilation of feats with no real strategy! As stated before, Gromph will come in with some defenses already up. Once the battle starts he'll open up with flight, and a minor globe of invulnerability (the protective sphere he always casts). These should be relatively instant, as they are produce through his staff of power.

He will probably attempt to take control of those spirits first. Second will be to turn back Centurious's next spell back at him, this should knock him back momentarily. When that happens, he'll follow up with a quick prismatic spray, followed by the use of his acid wand.

From here he will fortify his defenses once more with some fiery shields, and possibly a prismatic sphere. But more importantly, he will be giving himself precognition. This should allow him to counter Centurious pretty handily with his spells.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pokergeist

@Floopay: Yeah Im dry of Scans. Lets vote. lol

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Floopay

@CadenceV2 said:

@Floopay: Yeah Im dry of Scans. Lets vote. lol

Alright, I'll call out some voters, feel free to call more if you know anyone else I forgot to list.

@Laurcus:

Anyone else who's willing to vote, well....vote.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By YoungJustice

Going with Floopay here.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By Strider1992

I'll come back later these are two characters I know nothing about so I want to take time and read the arguments properly.

Laurcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Laurcus

Gotta vote for Floopay. I know full well what a D&D Wizard is capable of. Here's the thing though, as good of a job as Floopay did with arguing for Gromph, Gromph himself is much much smarter. Gromph has a 30 intelligence. That's insane. Considering the absolute mortal limit is 23, (and that's if you're a super genius at birth) and most Humans probably never go beyond a 12 or 14 at most, I believe Gromph could be inventive in ways Floopay and myself could not.

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Floopay

@Laurcus said:

Gotta vote for Floopay. I know full well what a D&D Wizard is capable of. Here's the thing though, as good of a job as Floopay did with arguing for Gromph, Gromph himself is much much smarter. Gromph has a 30 intelligence. That's insane. Considering the absolute mortal limit is 23, (and that's if you're a super genius at birth) and most Humans probably never go beyond a 12 or 14 at most, I believe Gromph could be inventive in ways Floopay and myself could not.

Those are his "Official" stats, but realistically I can only go off of what Gromph has done, and I had an entire section to argue with, but he only has 1 day prep, and I figure getting those enchants up and preparing spells is probably a good 12+ hours of that day gone.

Any more votes?

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pokergeist

@Floopay: I think you won handily my friend :) Im checking on the GR vs BRB one now.