• 103 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Can the man who was always a notch under Dick Grayson defeat the character who thinks "styles are for idiots?" 

Begin 15 feet apart.

Shrike 

VS 

Catman 

Rules:

-Random encounter. 
-Standard gear. 
-Morals apply. 
-Standard elimination rules apply. 
-I have a scan collection of Shrike, but I don't want to break the new rules regarding scans.  So, if you need information just ask, or check the bio provided above.
Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By buttersdaman000

Im not really sure.
Shrike was impressive in his first showings but after that it seemed like he just jobbed. Despite that, I think placing him a notch below Dick is accurate as far as his fighting skill goes

nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By nightwing91

Shrike should go down, he did well first appearance(but keep in mind he only beat Dick when he was already injured),but after that showing jobbed constantly to Grayson. Even to the point of where an angry Grayson casually defeats him in several moves.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@nightwing91
@buttersdaman000: 

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, considering Shrike only faced Grayson twice.  He did poorly the second time (I'd say Grayson (the writer) downgraded him from Dixon's version, just like Blockbuster, because that was a PATHETIC showing).  But later in Batgirl and such Shrike absolutely wrecked Drake, and improved his abilities under Shiva's training.  Cassie even remarked he had skill, but it naturally wasn't enough to defeat her. 

So, technically he's only jobbed once.
nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nightwing91
@k4tzm4n: The first encounter they had when he fought Grayson in Bludhaven, he got the drop on Grayson while he was hurt, so I rarely use that to gauge his skill level. Your right about the writer downplaying his skill, as her entire run was fairly horribly written. The only real fair battle he had was him battling Lady vic, Shiva and I believe Brutale as a test for Blockbuster.  Later he did beat Drake, but Batgirl easily defeated him. And I'm not sure they ever showed quite how much better he got while training under Shiva.
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@nightwing91
Shrike defeated ALL of Grayson's gallery as a test.  He pretty much wrecked them.   

And it was implied he improved his skill under Shiva's training.  Cassie made a remark implying such.
cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By cascadeking09
@buttersdaman000 said:
Im not really sure. Shrike was impressive in his first showings but after that it seemed like he just jobbed. Despite that, I think placing him a notch below Dick is accurate as far as his fighting skill goes
I agree with this.
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
Avatar image for morgaine_levesque
Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Morgaine_Levesque
@k4tzm4n: I don't think anybody actually follows that rule anymore (if it even is one), as evidenced by the feats and scans thread and all the recent respect thread creations.
nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nightwing91
@k4tzm4n: His rogues gallery wasn't extremely impressive at that point, it involved Stallion who is quite frankly a idiot on steroids, Brutale who unless the fight is long range is basically useless, and Lady Vic who was the only one who was fairly impressive as she was the only one to touch him but considering the lack of skill from the other two really is impressive. 

And I realize he had a skill increase from his time with Shiva, but it's never really shown to what level he has reached as after that I don't believe he's been seen aside from an occasional shot in groups of villains.
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@nightwing91
I'm aware his gallery was lackluster, but taking them all on at once was still a good showing.  Of course we'll never know EXACTLY how much he improved, but it's fair to assume he's slightly more skilled than he once was.  It's unlikely we'll see him before the DCU reboot, but here's hoping Nightwing's gallery doesn't suck for the new run.
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@Morgaine_de_Bourbon
Ah, thanks!
Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: No problem :)
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Is there a "battles idea" thread?
nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nightwing91
@k4tzm4n: I hope not, but he didn't train with Shiva and that incarnation of the League for a super amount of time. I say a slight skill increase but he's likely still below Nightwing level. If built up right Shrike would have made the perfect arch enemy for Dick.  Hopefully the new run we can see a return of the character.
morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@k4tzm4n said:
No, but Arrow or Static would likely be glad to pick up the suggestion.

And I still say Catman, regardless of forum.
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@nightwing91
I completely agree he'd still be under Grayson in terms of skill, but he'd likely be a better challenge.
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@Morpheus_
You can't resist his ruggish good looks, eh?
morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@k4tzm4n: No, he simply has better taste in women.
Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:
There's a battles brainstorming thread.  

....and who can resist Catman's ruggish good looks?
velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By velle37

Catman has never made sense to me. Can someone please explain what level of skill he has and why?
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Mercy_

@k4tzm4n: No problemo.

Telcalipoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Telcalipoca

catman wins. i dont know how much he improved after training under shiva but before it he lost twice to dick won once. the win was due to his henchmen getting a drop on him and roughing him up.shortly after after loosing to him and  gotten a pinata beating by the henchmen dick took shrike down and if it wasnt for canary yelling him to stop he would have killed him.the second win was on bluckbuster's mansion unable to land a single hit.as much as he might have improved its hard to believe he would make a leap big  enough   to beat a person that bested him completely.if hes unable to beat dick hes unable to beat catman who has.......done some mighty impressive showings against batman and bronze tiger.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@Telcalipoca
Catman isn't as skilled as Dick Grayson.
morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@Morgaine_de_Bourbon said:
@k4tzm4n said:
There's a battles brainstorming thread
Good find, I didn't even remember that. 

Definitely not Gail.

@velle37 said:
Catman has never made sense to me. Can someone please explain what level of skill he has and why?

He hasn't had many showings. He had a fairly equal fight with Batman, but Bruce was far from going all out and they even chatted during their encounter. Then, there is the infamous fight with Bronze Tiger, in which Catman lands three consecutive strikes, and when Ben smiles, and wonders "how a punk managed to do that" he replied "you have a defense for every style, but styles are for f###ing idiots", and proceeded to bite him in the jugular. Tiger got exceedingly irked, and put him down in one page flat before passing out due to blood loss. He briefly fought Red Robin in Tim's own book, and was having the upper hand, with Tim thinking some nonsese about him (Catman) being on the list of villains he wouldn't want to fight, along with names like Doomsday, and the Anti-Monitor. Finally, he kind of fought Bane (who wasn't fighting back, but the whole encounter was more so a discussion), made him bleed, but when Bane actually decided to fight him, he grabbed his fist and put him on his knees just by tightening his grip around it.

As for why, well, he trained with some lions.
Tiamat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Tiamat
@k4tzm4n said:
No Caption Provided

Is that a Shotokan tiger emblem on the back wall?

Edit: It is. Fight location of this match-up = Best place ever!
Carry on.
morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@k4tzm4n said:

@Morpheus_
: Just imagine if he had a moustache.   
Lawton would just shoot him for stealing his shtick.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mercy_

@Telcalipoca said:

catman wins. i dont know how much he improved after training under shiva but before it he lost twice to dick won once. the win was due to his henchmen getting a drop on him and roughing him up.shortly after after loosing to him and gotten a pinata beating by the henchmen dick took shrike down and if it wasnt for canary yelling him to stop he would have killed him.the second win was on bluckbuster's mansion unable to land a single hit.as much as he might have improved its hard to believe he would make a leap big enough to beat a person that bested him completely.if hes unable to beat dick hes unable to beat catman who has.......done some mighty impressive showings against batman and bronze tiger.

Catman's skilled, but he's not as skilled as Dick. That's a misuse of ABC logic, IMO. That's like saying just because somebody beat X-23, they can beat Wolverine. While the characters are similar and have somewhat similar feats, one has feats that far exceeds the other and does them on a constantttttttt basis. Not to mention that Catman's (arguably) best feats (stalemating Batman, although the circumstances are iffy) and his fight with Bronze Tiger are dubiously written at best. Gail Simone has a tendency to fanwank every now and then.

@Morpheus_ said:

@velle37 said:

He hasn't had many showings. He had a fairly equal fight with Batman, but Bruce was far from going all out and they even chatted during their encounter. Then, there is the infamous fight with Bronze Tiger, in which Catman lands three consecutive strikes, and when Ben smiles, and wonders "how a punk managed to do that" he replied "you have a defense for every style, but styles are for f###ing idiots", and proceeded to bite him in the jugular. Tiger got exceedingly irked, and put him down in one page flat before passing out due to blood loss. He briefly fought Red Robin in Tim's own book, and was having the upper hand, with Tim thinking some nonsese about him (Catman) being on the list of villains he wouldn't want to fight, along with names like Doomsday, and the Anti-Monitor. Finally, he kind of fought Bane (who wasn't fighting back, but the whole encounter was more so a discussion), made him bleed, but when Bane actually decided to fight him, he grabbed his fist and put him on his knees just by tightening his grip around it.

Prettyyyyyyyy sure I have these scans if anybody wants/needs them. I know I have the Batman ones.

@Morpheus_ said:

@k4tzm4n said:
There's a battles brainstorming thread.

I have a random memory for threads and their titles ;)

@Morpheus_ said:

Definitely not Gail.

LMAO.

nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By nightwing91
@k4tzm4n: Thanks for the scan, she does mention he's better. But I just don't see him beating Catman with all of his feats he has had, and shrikes own limited showings.
velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By velle37
@Morpheus_ said:

@k4tzm4n said:

There's a battles brainstorming thread

Definitely not Gail.

@velle37 said:

That was pretty much my knowledge of Catman already. Knew about the PIS Batman fight, the nonsense of Tim being afraid to fight him, the idiocy of striking a world class martial arts master by using "no style," the meaningless fight with Bane, and the fact that this is all from supposedly being trained by lions. 

Just because of the sheer stupidity of that chain of events, I'll go with Shrike. 
He at least had a rep as an effective assasin before losing to Dick, he caught Black Canary off-guard, destroyed Tim in a fight, and has logical backing for his martial skill.
HumanNumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HumanNumber

Catman fought Cheshire and she wasn't able to land a single hit, if that means much. Cheshire definitely isn't the greatest.

velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By velle37
@HumanNumber said:
Catman fought Cheshire and she wasn't able to land a single hit, if that means much. Cheshire definitely isn't the greatest.

When was this? That shouldn't happen since Cheshire is (or was) one of the best fighters in the DCU. She has ancient martial knowledge that very few others have, has owned Deathstroke, gotten the upper hand on Nightwing a few times as well. Black Canary has rightfully expressed her fear of Cheshire, despite the PIS showing where BC appears to beat and apprehend her. Since then Cheshire has had increasingly poorer showings, DS has roughed her with little resistance recently. But Chesh should still be far above Catman.
Telcalipoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Telcalipoca
@velle37 said:

@HumanNumber said:

When was this? That shouldn't happen since Cheshire is (or was) one of the best fighters in the DCU. She has ancient martial knowledge that very few others have, has owned Deathstroke, gotten the upper hand on Nightwing a few times as well. Black Canary has rightfully expressed her fear of Cheshire, despite the PIS showing where BC appears to beat and apprehend her. Since then Cheshire has had increasingly poorer showings, DS has roughed her with little resistance recently. But Chesh should still be far above Catman.
wow. i dont know much about her but i thought she was on the same  level as roy . so she was great fighter and dc has downplayed her? or was great but got slouchy and surpassed?
velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By velle37
@Telcalipoca said:
@velle37 said:

@HumanNumber said:

wow. i dont know much about her but i thought she was on the same  level as roy . so she was great fighter and dc has downplayed her? or was great but got slouchy and surpassed?

She was great, but for some reason lately DC has been downgrading her.... 

Though in Sensei and Student, Black Canary called Shiva Van Gogh, and Cheshire Picasso in terms of martial arts as compliments.
Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jezer

...I thought this thread was about the literary Shrike, who can manipulate time in ridiculous ways and bring alternate versions of itself, vs Catman. 

I am disappoint. ._.
Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty sure it was Beatboks who seriously educated me on Cheshire. Lady was a BAMF. 

Telcalipoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Telcalipoca
@Jezer said:
...I thought this thread was about the literary Shrike, who can manipulate time in ridiculous ways and bring alternate versions of itself, vs Catman.  I am disappoint. ._.
seems that shrike vs catman would have being a spite threat
Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

Catman takes it in my opinion.
HumanNumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HumanNumber
@velle37 said:
@HumanNumber said:
At the end of the first story arc for Gail's Secret Six, 'Six Degrees of Devastation', when they went after Vandal Savage. 

No Caption Provided
They get into it, Cheshire can't seem to land a hit, Catman dodges and lands that punch at the end. Although looking at the bottom right corner, Cheshire may be kneeing him there. The next page has them tired, Cheshire wipes blood off her mouth and proposes to sleeping with Catman there on the spot in the middle of the battle.
Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@k4tzm4n: I thought you hated Catman, Katzman.

(haha sorry, was too tempting)
entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By entropy_aegis

Catman.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@texasdeathmatch
lol.  I don't like or dislike the character, but I do think his high-end feats (regardless of circumstances) are ridiculous.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mercy_
@k4tzm4n
@texasdeathmatch
lol.  I don't like or dislike the character, but I do think his high-end feats (regardless of circumstances) are ridiculous.
The Batman and Bronze Tiger fights?
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@The Dark Huntress
Yup.  I'm aware Wayne was holding back and BT underestimated him (then wrecked him), but I respect Catman for what he is --- a mid tier street level character.  He's tough and a very skilled hunter, but at the end of the day Wayne and BT would have no issue rocking his world.  It's just a shame we see those high end feats blown out of proportion.
Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By Final Arrow

Shrike takes this, Catman is a great adaptive fighter and thinks quick on his feat. I just don't think he has what it takes on a H2H level to take the win for this battle. Yes sure Shrike is poorly written and when he is written correctly he is amongst the deadliest in the world. Catman has been given some very impressive feats but at the same time he has not shown anything that puts him on the same H2H combat as Shrike. that's why I give him the win over Blake.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@Final Arrow
I'm not sure why people keep citing Shrike having "numerous" displays of jobbing.  This only happened once during the Grayson-written Shrike vs Nightwing fight.  Everything else Shrike has done was exactly how I expected---skilled, but a notch under Dick Grayson.
Cochise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Cochise

Catman takes Shrike. Has Shrike ever had a legitimate win against someone other than Tim Drake?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@Cochise
He dominated Tim Drake. 

But regardless, one doesn't need an impressive win/loss ratio to be respected.  Take Batroc, for example.  We know he's extremely skilled, so a lack of victories against Captain America shouldn't be used against him if paired against someone in his own range (like this match).
Cochise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Cochise

Stll Catman comes off as being more impressive, and Shrike a wannabe.