Captain Kirk(1966) vs Captain Kirk(2009)

KNIGHT SAVIOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 42

Edited By KNIGHT SAVIOR

I just finish watching 2009 " STAR TREK  "  and  it got me wondering, who is better captain?  granted they're basically the same man and  we only seen (alternate timeline) Captain Kirk  once ( hopeful we see another movie soon) but to me he could make a bigger name for himself  then (original  timeline) Captain Kirk , but that just me . WHO DO YOU IS BETTER ?
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By King_Saturn
the Original Captain Kirk was the Best... 
FallenAnvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FallenAnvil

Original though I can see the new movie Kirk come into his own.

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By beatboks1

As you said they are basically the same character. The differences are as small as experience. The new time line Kirk as the same can do, don't believe in no win scenario attitude that the original had, but not the experience. The original Kirk took a little more time to work his way up the ranks. So the original Kirk has to be the better, he has everything the new time line Kirk has going for him plus one extra, he has been seasoned and has more than bravado to back it up.

marriott1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By marriott1984

Original Kirk.

William Shatner is the best Captain ever.

Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Picard
@beatboks1 said:

" As you said they are basically the same character. The differences are as small as experience. The new time line Kirk as the same can do, don't believe in no win scenario attitude that the original had, but not the experience. The original Kirk took a little more time to work his way up the ranks. So the original Kirk has to be the better, he has everything the new time line Kirk has going for him plus one extra, he has been seasoned and has more than bravado to back it up. "

No, new one is just unlikeble ashole, who never learn anything, who din't grow as a character. He was acting like hot headed idiot, never shown any kind of inteligence or resourcefulness. Every body kick his ass, pretty easily. But the nail in the coffin was his decision to needlessly murder Nero and his crew, endangering Enterprise in the proces. Hate this guy. 
god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

The new one cuz he's Thor.

kidding the original

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By beatboks1
@Picard said:
" @beatboks1 said:

" As you said they are basically the same character. The differences are as small as experience. The new time line Kirk as the same can do, don't believe in no win scenario attitude that the original had, but not the experience. The original Kirk took a little more time to work his way up the ranks. So the original Kirk has to be the better, he has everything the new time line Kirk has going for him plus one extra, he has been seasoned and has more than bravado to back it up. "

No, new one is just unlikeble ashole, who never learn anything, who din't grow as a character. He was acting like hot headed idiot, never shown any kind of inteligence or resourcefulness. Every body kick his ass, pretty easily. But the nail in the coffin was his decision to needlessly murder Nero and his crew, endangering Enterprise in the proces. Hate this guy.  "
Have to say I am confused. First you say no, then restate most of what I said another way as why.
I say the new time line Kirk doesn't have the experience, didn't learn as much , and doesn't have anything to back up his bravado.
You say he didn't grow (which is what you do with experience), showed lack of intellect (which you gain from learning), and was a hothead ( an archetype who usually shows Bravado)
weaponxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By weaponxxx

NO WAY!!!! The new captain kirk destroy's the old..... I cant even believe this is being debated. Chris Pine beats the Shat out of him ;)

demifiend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By demifiend

captain kirk 1966??

i wasnt even born. lol. mm really i have no idea
weaponxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By weaponxxx
@Picard said:
" @beatboks1 said:

No, new one is just unlikeble ashole, who never learn anything, who din't grow as a character. He was acting like hot headed idiot, never shown any kind of inteligence or resourcefulness. Every body kick his ass, pretty easily. But the nail in the coffin was his decision to needlessly murder Nero and his crew, endangering Enterprise in the proces. Hate this guy.  "
Really? the whole point of the movie was his growth as a burn-out Iowa farm boy to Captain of the Enterprise and overcoming the fear of living up to his father's legend and valor... he totally grew as a character. And as for intelligence he outwitted a program designed by Spock whos pretty much the standard genius in the JJ. Abrams trek-verse. And there were actual fight scenes in the new movie unlike the West Side Story dance fighting that encapsulates William Shatner in a nutshell. Chris Pine fights five significantly bigger Federation officers and takes the beating like a man and gets in a few licks of his own, not too mention that Romulans are a physically superior species to humans in the 2009 movie and he still manages to beat one on top of the planetary drill bit when he and Mr. Sulu are trying to blow it up. And the reason Kirk offered amnesty to Nero while the singularity was tearing apart his ship showed his growth as a character, not to mention that the red matter was the only chance they enterprise had of defeating Nero's technologically superior ship and preventing the destruction of earth. And let's be honest, everybody on board was prepared to be sucked into the black hole given their proximity to it upon firing. When they surprisingly weren't sucked in immediately Kirk decided to show some good will and possible prevent a war between the federation and the Romulan empire.

William Shatner couldn't captain his way out of a paper bag....and he sucked on Boston Legal
Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Picard

"Really? the whole point of the movie was his growth as a burn-out Iowa farm boy to Captain of the Enterprise and overcoming the fear of living up to his father's legend and valor... he totally grew as a character. And as for intelligence he outwitted a program designed by Spock whos pretty much the standard genius in the JJ. Abrams trek-verse"

Yes. really. How he grown up as a character? In what way? His behavior and attitude was unchanged. What does he learn? Living up to his father? Wow, his father was killed in like few minutes, thats was his only accomplishment. Cheating on test is now, evidence of genius? If I find a way to exploit bug in the game, or enter some cheat code is that make me a genious?

" Chris Pine fights five significantly bigger Federation officers and takes the beating like a man and gets in a few licks of his own, not too mention that Romulans are a physically superior species to humans in the 2009 movie and he still manages to beat one on top of the planetary drill bit when he and Mr. Sulu are trying to blow it up"

The thing is you don't start a fight with many,  larger guys if you don't know that you can't win. But he is smug and arogant asshole so what you expect? And fact that every time after that he have his ass kicked, is evidence that he didn't learn anything. And yes he shown this Romulan... ooo, no he didn't:

No Caption Provided
  " Romulans are a physically superior species to humans in the 2009 movie"

They are? Why? What evidence you have for that?   

"Kirk offered amnesty to Nero while the singularity was tearing apart his ship showed his growth as a character "

Oh, yes and secound latter Kirk was like:
No Caption Provided
  Indeed he grown as a character - shooting to helpless people on a "sinking" ship - merciful man! ;) And what kind of events changed him? Can you state just one exemple?

"And let's be honest, everybody on board was prepared to be sucked into the black hole given their proximity to it upon firing"

Why he even fire on "sinking", defenceless ship? Pointless and barbaric.  And you know what Kirk can do? Give the order to go into warp before black hole start endanger Enterprise,  instead of needlessly fire upon "sinking"

" William Shatner couldn't captain his way out of a paper bag....and he sucked on Boston Legal "

Yes, sure - only he co-created captain Kirk, make him cult character, and his James Kirk doesn't suck. So:

No Caption Provided
EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By EdwardWindsor
@god_spawn:   Sorry to call you up on this but Hemsworth played kirks dad not kirk himself. Thou he makes an awesome thundergod.
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@god_spawn said:
" The new one cuz he's Thor.kidding the original "
Chris Hemsworth played James Kirk's father (George Kirk), not James Kirk. That was Chris Pine.
Avatar image for captain_justice95
Captain_Justice95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the origianl kirk beat down this lizard with his bare hands. he was so fast the lizard couldnt even hit him

cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By cascadeking09
@Picard said:

"  "Really? the whole point of the movie was his growth as a burn-out Iowa farm boy to Captain of the Enterprise and overcoming the fear of living up to his father's legend and valor... he totally grew as a character. And as for intelligence he outwitted a program designed by Spock whos pretty much the standard genius in the JJ. Abrams trek-verse"

Yes. really. How he grown up as a character? In what way? His behavior and attitude was unchanged. What does he learn? Living up to his father? Wow, his father was killed in like few minutes, thats was his only accomplishment. Cheating on test is now, evidence of genius? If I find a way to exploit bug in the game, or enter some cheat code is that make me a genious?"

Judging by your name and avy I assume you're an expert, but I'm pretty sure that in the original he "cheated" the exact same way, but was commended for his "unique thinking" and not believing in no win scenarios.

And I have to disagree with him not growing as a character as well. He had to assume a huge responsibility very quickly and came out of the situation on top, and it's not as if he was immature or stupid before, Pike made him 1st officer for a reason.

The thing is you don't start a fight with many,  larger guys if you don't know that you can't win. But he is smug and arogant asshole so what you expect? And fact that every time after that he have his ass kicked, is evidence that he didn't learn anything. And yes he shown this Romulan... ooo, no he didn't:

No he wasn't an arrogant anything and didn't start that fight. They attacked him first and he was murking them before they ganged up on him.
Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Picard
@cascadeking09:
 "Judging by your name and avy I assume you're an expert, but I'm pretty sure that in the original he "cheated" the exact same way, but was commended for his "unique thinking" and not believing in no win scenarios."

Yes, he did. But again this not make himagenius, this only proofs that he will never give up, and thats why Starfleet  commended him: Kobayashi Maru is test of the character, and Kirk's unwillingness to surrender is testimony of his character... So why in new movie Starfleet condemn him for this same thing? How can you punish someone for giving testimony of character? Thats why I don't like this new movie - nothing make sense if you think about it. And one more thing : new James "Syberius" Kirk seems to don't give a crap about this test... he's eating  an apple, and acting so arrogant that you just want to punch him.

"And I have to disagree with him not growing as a character as well. He had to assume a huge responsibility very quickly and came out of the situation on top, and it's not as if he was immature or stupid before, Pike made him 1st officer for a reason "

Geee... I wonder why Pike make him his first officer? Is this have something to do with Pike being a friend of George Kirk? After all, what "Syberius" Kirk did to this point was: disobey his stepfather,  trash a priceless antique car, escape from the police, needlessly endangered his own life in the proces, harass Uhura in the bar, and provoke a bar fight with group of bigger man. Wow,  officer material for sure. ;) 
Assuming responsibility? He disobey direct order and start a mutiny to overthrow legitimate captain of the Enterprise, Spock. Again, how this make him a good commander, and good person?

"No he wasn't an arrogant anything and didn't start that fight. They attacked him first and he was murking them before they ganged up on him. "

Again, you are wrong!Heslap one oh this guys in the face, and told him to bring more friends, so this will be a fair fight. Look like provocation to me.
beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By beatboks1

[quote]" Romulans are a physically superior species to humans in the 2009 movie"

They are? Why? What evidence you have for that?  [/quote]

That has been a fact in evidence since the earliest of Star Trek shows. So they are for the same reasons they always have been. Romulan's are a branch off of the Vulcan race, who rejected Logic and left Vulcan centuries ago. Just like Vulcans they are physically much stronger with greater durability. Their bodies are evolved to handle much harsher climates and the gravity of larger planetary bodies and thinner air supply (IIRC in OS it was stated that Vulcans gravity is 15% more than Earth and it's air is thinner, the reason that Bones had to give Jim a shot to have a chance in a fight with a Vulcan on Vulcan for Spock during pon far ). In fact it's been established since the earliest days of ST that humans (of Earth not "humanoids") are the weakest species physically in teh Alpha and Beta quadrants.

cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By cascadeking09
@Picard said:

" @cascadeking09:
 "Judging by your name and avy I assume you're an expert, but I'm pretty sure that in the original he "cheated" the exact same way, but was commended for his "unique thinking" and not believing in no win scenarios."

Yes, he did. But again this not make himagenius, this only proofs that he will never give up, and thats why Starfleet  commended him: Kobayashi Maru is test of the character, and Kirk's unwillingness to surrender is testimony of his character... So why in new movie Starfleet condemn him for this same thing? How can you punish someone for giving testimony of character? Thats why I don't like this new movie - nothing make sense if you think about it. And one more thing : new James "Syberius" Kirk seems to don't give a crap about this test... he's eating  an apple, and acting so arrogant that you just want to punch him."

The movie was showing how his timeline was affected by the Romulans invasion and all that. Everything was supposed to be f'd up which is why he was punished rather than being commended.
Reading this makes me think you're completely bias. You've mentioned that you dislike the movie and have mentioned how "arrogant" he is several times now. I didn't see him that way. He kept calm while taking a test that is impossible to pass and ended up beating it. Would you panic or act super serious while taking a test that you know you can pass?

Geee... I wonder why Pike make him his first officer? Is this have something to do with Pike being a friend of George Kirk? After all, what "Syberius" Kirk did to this point was: disobey his stepfather,  trash a priceless antique car, escape from the police, needlessly endangered his own life in the proces, harass Uhura in the bar, and provoke a bar fight with group of bigger man. Wow,  officer material for sure. ;) 
Assuming responsibility? He disobey direct order and start a mutiny to overthrow legitimate captain of the Enterprise, Spock. Again, how this make him a good commander, and good person?

No it had notthing to do with being a friend of his father. It was because he saw  his potentialand why do you keep saying "Syberius"? I'm pretty sure he calls himself "Tiberius" To the cop and and reffered to hisself as " Kirk, James T." And he was refferred to as a genius by Pike too, which is why the man went out of his way to convince Jim to join the academy like his father did.
And why are you exaggerating and twisting things? He didn't harass anybody, he had a conversation with her only to be attacked by those  cadets and then acidentally grabbed her breasts. And if you watch the movie you know exactly why he did that to spock. He took on the responsibility and had to prove that Spock was too emotionally involved to lead the ship and once he took on the leadership he saved them. I'm sure you know exactly why it makes him a good captain if you saw the whole movie

Again, you are wrong!Heslap one oh this guys in the face, and told him to bring more friends, so this will be a fair fight. Look like provocation to me.

Nope not wrong, he patted him on the cheek he didn't slap him after saying "Relax, cupcake. It was a joke." The cadet pulls him around and says " Can you count? There's 4 of us and one of you." Which is an obvious threat especially with them crowding around him. And he responds. "So get some more guys and it'll be an even fight." This isn't him starting a fight this is him showing an a-hole he's not intimidated even when they threaten to jump him just for talking to a girl.
Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Picard
@beatboks1 said: 

@Picard said:
Have to say I am confused. First you say no, then restate most of what I said another way as why.I say the new time line Kirk doesn't have the experience, didn't learn as much , and doesn't have anything to back up his bravado.You say he didn't grow (which is what you do with experience), showed lack of intellect (which you gain from learning), and was a hothead ( an archetype who usually shows Bravado)   

I honestly didn't want to return to this thread, because I'm tired of Abram's fans, but even they see the true: ;)
http://io9.com/5250171/so-really-why-is-captain-kirk-such-a-douchebag
Now, in oryginal "Star Trek" in Academy, Kirk was equivalent of Peter Parker, he was a nerd, a bookworm. So why now he is this cooky, James Dean ripoff? We should see his transformation from bookworm, into Kirk we know from TV series, but no, he is cowboy from the beginning - even worst, now he is stereotypical rebel without the cause. His cocky attitude is completely incomprehensible, because he have no reason to be self-confident - he gets owned in a every fight, he always get himself in the trouble, and make one one brainless decision after another. He really don't have a reasons to be proud of himself, or to be confident in his own abilities. 

@beatboks1

said:

[quote]" Romulans are a physically superior species to humans in the 2009 movie" They are? Why? What evidence you have for that?  [/quote]That has been a fact in evidence since the earliest of Star Trek shows. So they are for the same reasons they always have been. Romulan's are a branch off of the Vulcan race, who rejected Logic and left Vulcan centuries ago. Just like Vulcans they are physically much stronger with greater durability. Their bodies are evolved to handle much harsher climates and the gravity of larger planetary bodies and thinner air supply (IIRC in OS it was stated that Vulcans gravity is 15% more than Earth and it's air is thinner, the reason that Bones had to give Jim a shot to have a chance in a fight with a Vulcan on Vulcan for Spock during pon far ). In fact it's been established since the earliest days of ST that humans (of Earth not "humanoids") are the weakest species physically in teh Alpha and Beta quadrants.

Yes, but Romulans evolved form Vulcans, they are not identical - for exemple Romulans are not telepaths, like Vulcans, so  why you assume that Romulans are as strong, as Vulcans? Also this doesn't matter because James "Syberius" Kirk didn't defeat any of them in h2h combat. 

@cascadeking09

Reading this makes me think you're completely bias. You've mentioned that you dislike the movie and have mentioned how "arrogant" he is several times now. I didn't see him that way. He kept calm while taking a test that is impossible to pass and ended up beating it. Would you panic or act super serious while taking a test that you know you can pass?

I just don't like this movie and one of the reasons why, was the way how they portray characters. He wasn't calm,  when he pass the test,  he was cocky and obnoxious. And you can't blame Kelvin incident for everything. 

No it had notthing to do with being a friend of his father. It was because he saw  his potential and why do you keep saying "Syberius"? I'm pretty sure he calls himself "Tiberius" To the cop and and reffered to hisself as " Kirk, James T." And he was refferred to as a genius by Pike too, which is why the man went out of his way to convince Jim to join the academy like his father did.

What potencial? Until this point Kirk: stole and destroyed priceless car, disobey his stepfather, needlessly endangered himself driving car into a chasm, he disobey police officer, he harass Uhura - yes, he did, becouse she said that she was not interested yet, he was still bothering her - and he provoke bar fight. Later on is no better: he cheat on a test, he disregard chain of command and practically started mutinym, as well disobey a direct order and he killed prisoners of war . Wow, I see why he is so talented! ;)  And I call him "Syberius" because thats what I heard when this kid who played young Kirk lisp his line. 

And if you watch the movie you know exactly why he did that to spock. He took on the responsibility and had to prove that Spock was too emotionally involved to lead the ship and once he took on the leadership he saved them. I'm sure you know exactly why it makes him a good captain if you saw the whole movie

Unfortunately I saw whole movie, and I was pretty much piss off, what they did to Trek.
I'm Sorry, that is just bad writing. I don't care what writers say: Spock was not emotionally involved because he was in fact following orders from Starfleet, when Kirk just bluntly disobey them. You can say that someone is emotionally involved, when his emotions don't allow him to perform his duties. Part of being a StarFleet officer is following orders. Spock follow them, when Kirk disobey them. So, who was emotionally involved? Who was making rash decisions,and who was following orders? And no, someone who start mutiny and someone who disobey direct orders as well someone who decide to follow and attack much biger and stronger ship is not a good captain. And Kirk even don't have any plan to defeat Nero, how to attack Nero was Chekhov's idea, not Kirk's. 

This isn't him starting a fight this is him showing an a-hole he's not intimidated even when they threaten to jump him just for talking to a girl. 

Yes, his started a fight, by provoking this guy - don't care if you call this slapping or patting, he was still making fun of him, and provoke him even more by bragging that four guys is nothing to him. And this cadets want just to protect Uhura from guy who bothered her. Yes, they also acted like retarded, drunken Klingons, but Kirk was the one who provoke them. What happened to: Roddenberry's vision of more civilized mankind? All I saw in this movie was bunch of knuckleheads. :(
-Data-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By -Data-

William Shatner has proven to excel in the range of more stamina and overall endurance against far more greater foes. By his endeavor; he has managed to defeat Volcans such as Evil Spock, Klingons, super human Khan and reptilians with omega strength. Pine was supposed to be the youthful prime which even he could not exceed in a bar fight of 3 Starfleet cadets nor of an angry Spock. Due to accurate calculations; I personally wager my rank and reputation for my statement to say that 1966 Kirk wins this battle.