• 55 results
#1 Edited by Killemall (18252 posts) - - Show Bio

I have read all their book in New 52 so far so i though this would be an interesting matchup..

Round 1: Morals on

Round 2 : Morals off (but for this battle, for whatever reason Captain Atom despite Morals off is not willing to go to Flash's past and kill his mother or stuffs like that, same for Flash if he's capable of it.. )

Win by Death, KO, incapacitation or BFR

fighting takes places on Earth minus all the population.

Starting distance: Flash is in America (New York) .. Captain Atom is in Australia (Perth).. both know where each other are.

For this battle both are familiar with each others powers to the extent they know them in comics and no more. I.e. Captain Atom knows flash is fast, and flash knows captain atom is powerful, but Atom doesnt know fempotsecond reaction time and BFR vortex from Flash and Flash doesnt Know Captain Atom's ability to time travel and teleportation.

#2 Posted by imbackwimps (1064 posts) - - Show Bio

ATOM

#3 Posted by Killemall (18252 posts) - - Show Bio

@imbackwimps said:

ATOM

For both rounds? Any reason?

Its obvious Captain Atom got a mega boost in the New 52 series.

#4 Posted by greenteaforme (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

Lack of any true feats as of yet. Is outrunning an omega beam a feat?

#5 Posted by imbackwimps (1064 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall said:

@imbackwimps said:

ATOM

yes he did way more powerful now and cant he just explode like a nuke when flash comes close

#6 Posted by Saren (25273 posts) - - Show Bio

@imbackwimps said:

@Killemall said:

@imbackwimps said:

ATOM

yes he did way more powerful now and cant he just explode like a nuke when flash comes close

Considering Flash contained a nuke's explosion within a certain diameter in Atom's own book, I'd say he can get out of the way if Atom tries that.

#7 Posted by Saren (25273 posts) - - Show Bio

Atom doesn't appear to be a physical being who can be affected by physical assaults and Flash hasn't shown the ability to hurt someone like him. He can use the time vortex but Atom can just travel back. I am not sure how Flash is supposed to harm him barring some kind of tactic like an energy overload, which seems unlikely to happen.

#8 Posted by imbackwimps (1064 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

@imbackwimps said:

@Killemall said:

@imbackwimps said:

ATOM

Considering Flash contained a nuke's explosion within a certain diameter in Atom's own book, I'd say he can get out of the way if Atom tries that.

oh ok was that 52 flash

#9 Posted by Saren (25273 posts) - - Show Bio

@imbackwimps said:

@CitizenBane said:

@imbackwimps said:

@Killemall said:

@imbackwimps said:

ATOM

oh ok was that 52 flash

Yes.

#10 Posted by Killemall (18252 posts) - - Show Bio

@imbackwimps said:

oh ok was that 52 flash

Yes it was from Captain Atom issue no 3. But it still doesnt explain how Flash would win or how Atom would win, Atom is more of an energy being now and havent seen him be KOed physically, while Flash has femptosecond reaction time so it would be hard to hit him too. I was a little surprised when Flash was unable to harm/ KO Grood in the recent encounter.

#11 Posted by Killemall (18252 posts) - - Show Bio

@greenteaforme said:

Lack of any true feats as of yet. Is outrunning an omega beam a feat?

Flash has feats though (well so does Captain Atom, only explaining Flash part from the moment). Feats to prove he's really fast. Flash 04 he showed femptosecond reaction time by dodging bullets at the last moment, Flash 05 he was able to create a BFR vortex that sent stuffs into past, Captain Atom 03 everything looked still to him army guns and bullets and all while he was simply catching one at a time (this is a little had to explain so i am putting up scans for this), and he physically ran faster than the speed of light on cosmic trademill to take him to speed force (Flash 07). Based on the fact that he hasnt have a lot of appearences, 16 in total he's shows more feats than one would have expected on such a short time. Should you like to see any scans just let me know.

@CitizenBane said:

Atom doesn't appear to be a physical being who can be affected by physical assaults and Flash hasn't shown the ability to hurt someone like him. He can use the time vortex but Atom can just travel back. I am not sure how Flash is supposed to harm him barring some kind of tactic like an energy overload, which seems unlikely to happen.

Energy Overload probably wont work , like you said, because Captain Atom was able to absorb other version of Captain Atom into him in Captain Atom 10 (which i am sure you've already read.. i am always 2 weeks behind you on reading :p ), so it looked like he can absorb heck loads of energy. Also its such a shame Spectre hasnt appeared in DC thus far.

#12 Posted by Immortal777 (6874 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall: At least The Spectre was mentioned that one time so at least we know he is still around.

#13 Posted by Killemall (18252 posts) - - Show Bio

@Immortal777 said:

@Killemall: At least The Spectre was mentioned that one time so at least we know he is still around.

Which issue was he mentioned? I totally missed it i wanna go re-read that issue again :p

#14 Posted by greenteaforme (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall said: Gonna admit I didn't read the Flash run. Only saw him in the Justice League run so far, and that's Barry-Flash. Is the Flash headlining there Wally?

Because Barry has been less than impressive so far in JLA.

#15 Posted by Killemall (18252 posts) - - Show Bio

@greenteaforme said:

@Killemall said: Gonna admit I didn't read the Flash run. Only saw him in the Justice League run so far, and that's Barry-Flash. Is the Flash headlining there Wally?

Nope Flash at the moment is Barry Allen and Kid Flash Bart Allen, its the same flash. Its just now DC is really really connected far better than they used to be, you see characters making appearences everywhere. People from iVampire making appearences in Justice League Dark, Grifter making appearence in Stormwatch and well Midnighter kicking Grifter arse in his own issue. Batman making his appearances everywhere, pick 3 random issues from New 52 and u'll see Batman somewhere :p

#16 Posted by greenteaforme (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall said:

@greenteaforme said:

Nope Flash at the moment is Barry Allen and Kid Flash Bart Allen, its the same flash. Its just now DC is really really connected far better than they used to be, you see characters making appearences everywhere. People from iVampire making appearences in Justice League Dark, Grifter making appearence in Stormwatch and well Midnighter kicking Grifter arse in his own issue. Batman making his appearances everywhere, pick 3 random issues from New 52 and u'll see Batman somewhere :p

Yeah, I noticed that too. It makes the universe seem much more connected.

But I do know that they're in different time periods, as well. So that's why I was wondering if it was the next Flash after the one that joined the current JLA.

#17 Posted by Immortal777 (6874 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall: In Justice League #6 it wasn't anything grand The Spectre was just mentioned.

#18 Posted by Saren (25273 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall: Phantom Stranger is getting his own book from September onwards, Spectre will probably appear there. The solicit for the first issue says the Stranger is going to meet Trigon.

#19 Posted by Immortal777 (6874 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane: Can't wait tell September I just hope Phantom Stranger will be a good read.

#20 Posted by ShiZZmAhh (509 posts) - - Show Bio

Round 1: I'll go with Atom

Round 2: I'll go with Flash. Flash would have to BFR Atom into the speed force right off the bat. I don't think Atom would be able to escape or enter his version of the timestream from there unless Flash allowed it.

#21 Posted by eatmore_payless (2210 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShiZZmAhh said:

Round 2: I'll go with Flash. Flash would have to BFR Atom into the speed force right off the bat. I don't think Atom would be able to escape or enter his version of the timestream from there unless Flash allowed it.

this and round is most likely to happen, and IIRC new 52 Flash can go time travel whenever he wants to right.

#22 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12334 posts) - - Show Bio

Atom.

#23 Posted by Nefarious (18646 posts) - - Show Bio

CA.

#24 Posted by bickabickawow (125 posts) - - Show Bio

@venomoushatred1001 said:

Atom.

#25 Posted by CapitolPunishment (2303 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall: Got any Captain Atom scans? I've kept up with the new Flash for the most part but that's really it, I haven't had time for comics for quite a while. Thanks.

#26 Posted by Killemall (18252 posts) - - Show Bio

@CapitolPunishment said:

@Killemall: Got any Captain Atom scans? I've kept up with the new Flash for the most part but that's really it, I haven't had time for comics for quite a while. Thanks.

Hey nice to see you man, been long time how have you been? Do you log on often havent seen you in any thread these days.

Also. yes i have few scans hopefully these will be helpful, i did not save all of his feats here are few that i have.

1. Few counts on transmutation, he looks extremely powerful with his.

From his first issue where he performs the transmutation for the first time, he is faced against a giant robot and suddenly realizes he can see stuffs to their basic elements and easily trans-mutates the entire robot into dust and teleport back to lab.

In Captain Atom 03 he trans-mutates tanks into hydrogen, and absorbs a nuclear explosion and releases energy, his ability to absorb energy seems quite powerful, you will see 1 other example of it.

These scans are from Captain Atom 04 where he has to fight with a bunch of army planes because the general decides to attack him when he declines the offer of working as their weapon, he easily trans-mutates their planes into feather, also note that when Ranita tries to touch him her hand burns (which he later heals, will show you those scans too).

In Captain Atom 06, he finally has the courage to face Ranita again in the hospital and easily heals her hands, a very handy power to have. Note that although in this issue nothing is shown, Captain Atom 9 shows that because he did so Ranita now has Captain Atom like powers in the future which means Captain Atom can lend his powers to other apparently without any affect to his original power, so next time if he's ever in a team battle thats a handy powers to discuss (will post the scans a bit later on the same reply).

He does have other transmutation feats which i did not bother to save but based only on these scans we can reasonably assume his transmutation powers are pretty uber.

2. Size manipulation

Captain Atom can change his size howsoever he wants. In Captain Atom 02, in order to heal a child's brain tumor he shrinks down to a small size, goes into his brain and trans-mutates the tumor. A pretty handy feat.

On captain Atom 05 he goes to get Ranita from the military base so he can heal her hand, and in this instance he increases his size to a giant.

3. Energy Absorption

In Captain Atom 10 while he is still in 20 years in the future he learns something interesting. In future Captain Atom has god complex, turns evil, names himself Chrono Mota, fights and defeats Justice League and destroys the world. The first scan shows a future version of Captain Atom (Chrono Mota) against JLA members. In the same issue in order to save the world Captain Atom is forced to absorb the energy of other captain Atoms which shows his ability to absorb energy is pretty darn impressive (not to mention he easily absorbed nuke in Captain Atom 03).

4.0 Time Manipulation

Captain Atom 08 shows that not only he is capable of jumping forward in time (which happened in last pages of Captain Atom 07 where he jumped 20 years into the future, sorry i do not have the scan) but has access to the time stream and can go anywhere in time where he likes, which is a pretty awesome powers to have. Although the true extent to which he can manipulate time has been left vague (or my reading comprehension isnt good enough for me to understand, if so you can help me out here ), you can also see Ranita with Captain Atom's powers.

5.0 Resurrection

Note that right off the bat, Captain Atom has been explained as being a living energy in humonoid body rather than being a physical being which makes punching and kicking him rather difficult. In Captain Atom 02 his body was destroyed because he couldnt control his powers, interesting was then he was capable of resurrecting his own body rather easily, this makes it extremely hard to KO or kill Atom because since he's not physical KOing is hard, and since he is capable of resurrecting killing becomes pretty damn hard too.

6.0 Reaction Speed

Based on Captain Atom 03, Captain Atom is shown pretty fast too, don't really know how to quantify this although i have seen few people refer to this as a milisecond reaction time i don't understand how that is the case, most probably because i cant understand what those numbers expressed as time is suppose to signify, hopefully you can help me at that. But here's what happen we all know flash is pretty fast and we see Flash moving so fast that everything looks still, however Captain Atom is right there talking to him and helping out flash and everything apart from him and Flash are still, signifying that Captain Atom isn't slow at all. So unless you have actual super-speed you look like a statue to captain atom, that is what i personally understood from it but here's the scan

Those are all the scans i have, i hope it was helpful. To me Captain Atom has looked really impressive and by far the most powerful of DC heroes. Of course, Spectre himself is yet to make an appearence but till then to me Captain Atom looks like the boss. Bonus is his stories are pretty interesting too (i havent read single Captain Atom solo issue from pre 52, i am thinking of collecting it). Also please pardon my typos i just cant help since english is not my first language.

#27 Posted by Killemall (18252 posts) - - Show Bio

@eatmore_payless said:

@ShiZZmAhh said:

this and round is most likely to happen, and IIRC new 52 Flash can go time travel whenever he wants to right.

Although the explanation of Round 2 is pretty good i see a problem with this and that is Captain Atom can enter time stream as he wishes, even change it (which he shouldnt but can), so if he gets BFRed to the speed force he could probably go back to the time stream and will himself back just before he was BFRed. Not to mention he has teleportation and we do not know if teleportation doesnt work from the speedforce, neither do we know for sure that only flash can go and come back from the speedforce, i dont think this have been covered. So i think Captain Atom can escape this, but then its my theory vs yours, choose whichever you like, its not like i have concrete evidence to prove to the contrary, just though i could add my 2 cents to discussion at hand =) .

#28 Edited by ShiZZmAhh (509 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killemall said:

@eatmore_payless said:

@ShiZZmAhh said:

Although the explanation of Round 2 is pretty good i see a problem with this and that is Captain Atom can enter time stream as he wishes, even change it (which he shouldnt but can), so if he gets BFRed to the speed force he could probably go back to the time stream and will himself back just before he was BFRed. Not to mention he has teleportation and we do not know if teleportation doesnt work from the speedforce, neither do we know for sure that only flash can go and come back from the speedforce, i dont think this have been covered. So i think Captain Atom can escape this, but then its my theory vs yours, choose whichever you like, its not like i have concrete evidence to prove to the contrary, just though i could add my 2 cents to discussion at hand =) .

I agree, we don't really know how the speed force will affect Atom's abilities to both teleport or enter the time stream. Given Atom's power set, I'd still like to think Flash is the only one who can enter or leave this realm at will. Turbine wasn't able to escape, but then again Turbine isn't Atom haha.

Also, I just noticed a few of your scans are slightly out of context. First, the size manipulation section. He doesn't actually increase his size. He was thinking of ways to get back into the Continuum Lab, and one option was to make himself huge and smash into the base. Instead he chooses a more stealthy approach, as seen in the last scan you posted in that section.

In the Energy Absorption section, the very first scan is not Chrono Mota aka Atom killing the Justice League. Atom is debating how far back in time he needs to go in order to stop the planet from blowing up. He's thinking of worst case scenarios for his actions. He debates going far enough back to save his father which would stop him from volunteering, but then he decides not to because Megala could potentially find some one (aka the gorilla) very evil and that person could go on a rampage with Atom's abilities.

Other than that, everything else looks good.

#29 Posted by kuartus4 (57 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it just me or is the new Captain atom basically Dr. Manhattan now?

#30 Edited by Scarlet_Spyder (119 posts) - - Show Bio

@kuartus4 said:

Is it just me or is the new Captain atom basically Dr. Manhattan now?

Dr M in the original Watchmen series was never shown to have anywhere near the power of Atom (in pre nor post 52 incarnations). As well, Dr M was originally partially based on Captain Atom (Dr M has nowhere near the amount of feats and actual showings to pull from to really put him anywhere near the level of Atom). As for Dr M's power level in the prequel series, no clue, have not read it as of yet.

As for the battle, I'll say Atom all around. I am not sure Flash can actually really do anything to him with that powerset of his.

#31 Posted by Spawn92 (284 posts) - - Show Bio

New 52 Atom could just explode like a nuke when Flash gets close. If Flash does somehow get around that, Atom can just re-arrange Flash's particles and cause him to, I dont know... melt?

Atom wins

#32 Posted by dondave (34337 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain Atom ftw

#33 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (4880 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain Atom with ease

#34 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain Atom probably.

#35 Posted by New_World_Order (12488 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain Atom would transmute him.

#36 Edited by Erkan12 (2374 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain Atom 10 / 10.

#37 Edited by Supermanwithatan01 (3462 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump!

#38 Posted by patrat18 (8760 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by DB14 (141 posts) - - Show Bio

Atom is one of the most under-appreciated DC powerhouses ever.

He is one of the people who could easily teambust the JL.

#40 Edited by Supermanwithatan01 (3462 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed, New 52 Barry isn't all that impressive offensively. Unless someone knows definitively if Captain Atom can be physically harmed then he should win. I'm not sure Barry has the offensive to even harm Cap. But I only say that, because I don't know very much at all about New 52 Captain Atoms durability and weaknesses.

#41 Edited by Supermanwithatan01 (3462 posts) - - Show Bio

@killemall: when did New 52 Barry contain a nuclear explosion? Do you have scans, I don't doubt it I just wonder how he did. He seems very limited in New 52

#42 Edited by reaverlation (13925 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by MonsterStomp (15809 posts) - - Show Bio

Atom ftw.

#44 Posted by MasterKungFu (1276 posts) - - Show Bio

Atom has of New 52

#45 Posted by Supermanwithatan01 (3462 posts) - - Show Bio

@reaverlation: thank you, I see that it was issue 3, but do you have scans or now how he did it?

#46 Posted by reaverlation (13925 posts) - - Show Bio

@supermanwithatan01: Look earlier in this thread as killemall already posted them like over a year ago lol

#47 Edited by Supermanwithatan01 (3462 posts) - - Show Bio

@reaverlation: I did it doesn't appear big enough, on my cell at least. I'm just curious as to how Allen did it.

#48 Edited by New52Collector (469 posts) - - Show Bio

it was atom not flash who did it. You read the names wrong,

#49 Posted by Awesomedude (1380 posts) - - Show Bio

Slightly siding with Captain Atom.

#50 Posted by CaptainMarvelThunder (813 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain Atom