Avatar image for die_stupid_zombie
Die Stupid Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Die Stupid Zombie

Battle of the DC Captains. Both Captain Atom and Captain Marvel are mighty men, but which is mightier? 
The U.S. government wants Captain Marvel detained or killed if he must be and they sent Captain Atom to do the job. 
Billy Baston just transformed into Captain Marvel just starting his patrol of Fawcett City when he is confronted by Captain Atom.
Captain Marvel simply wants to KO him long enough to leave Fawcett City to figure out why exactly Captain Atom was sent after him. 

No Caption Provided
Captain Atom                                               
No Caption Provided
                                                                                                           Captain Marvel
Avatar image for the_last_son_of_krypton
The Last Son Of Krypton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Die Stupid Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Die Stupid Zombie
@The Last Son Of Krypton:  You know how after when you type in the title for your battle and similar battles or the same ones pop up, well nothing popped up this time so I figured I would hope for the best. I typically post a battle that has happened before. But thanks. :)
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Static Shock
@Die Stupid Zombie: Doesn't matter now, because the link is broken. 

Anyway, I'll take Captain Atom on this one.
rbysjti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By rbysjti

I'd say CaptainMarvel . Cap'nMarvel is like Superman with additional magic.

jacobyLIVE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jacobyLIVE
@rbysjti said:
" I'd say CaptainMarvel . Cap'nMarvel is like Superman with additional magic. "
Magic? No...
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Static Shock
@rbysjti said:
" I'd say CaptainMarvel . Cap'nMarvel is like Superman with additional magic. "
Not sure how the magic would matter if Atom is highly resistant to it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Captain Atom 

I just think his powerset is too varied for Billy. It'd be close but I think he'd pull it out.
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By King_Saturn
Captain Atom should be able to beat Captain Marvel... 
Die Stupid Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Out of personally preference I would want Marvel to come out on top, but I think Atom would get this one.

capall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By capall

i'm gonna say stalemate here
Avatar image for slacker_the_hacker
slacker the hacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Captain marvel in a ruff and very close fight
crabtree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crabtree

draw. i wanted to bump this to.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By ComicStooge

I'm gonna give this to Cap...I mean, Captain Marvel.

OldIdiotAccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By OldIdiotAccount

Atom.

BattleMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BattleMage

CM should take this.

Suggs44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Suggs44

Captain Marvel ftw

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Static Shock

Anyone have a reason for why Captain Marvel would win?

karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By karrob
@Jake Fury said:
" Captain Atom  I just think his powerset is too varied for Billy. It'd be close but I think he'd pull it out. "
Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

captain atom

Hoboseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hoboseid

Intelligence - maybe Atom, too close

Fighting Skills - maybe Atom, too close

Strength - Billy

Speed - Billy

Energy Projection - Atom

Durability - Billy, its been implied Atom's suit can be badly damaged

ACE-Card

Atom can teleport Billy or dump him in the timestream

Atom wins via BFR

No BFR then Billy wins

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By PowerHerc

Captain Marvel wins.

Billy has more strength, speed and durability. 

Also, the Wisdom of Solomon and the Power of Zeus are two things Atom cannot compensate for.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#23  Edited By Outside_85

Captain Marvel, since Mary Marvel was able to do it, then Billy can as well.

Fire Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fire Star

The Mary Marvel instance was in Countdown, which is generally dismissed. Mary shouldn't have really been able to defeat him that easily.

Atom wins.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#25  Edited By Outside_85

That scan on Atoms page was from his Superbuddies period, that might be the countdown you are talking about?

Bo88gdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bo88gdan

Captain Atom

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Static Shock

Some of the posts that I'm going to address are old, but so what? LOL.

@Outside_85 said:

That scan on Atoms page was from his Superbuddies period, that might be the countdown you are talking about?

Yes, it was from Superbuddies, and considering the fact that Captain Atom has fought and done well against more powerful beings, not to mention the fact that stronger beings have failed to breach his metal skin, the showing in Superbuddies was a low showing. The series was an attempt at comic relief. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Captain Atom has taken punches from Wonder Woman, Ultraa, Darkseid, Majestic, Power Girl, Orion, Apollo, Major Force and several others, and he was never breached nor KO'ed. Weigh one showing from a weaker class 100 being vs. Captain Atom in comparison to several showings from stronger class 100 beings vs. Captain Atom.

@PowerHerc said:

Captain Marvel wins.

Billy has more strength, speed and durability.

Also, the Wisdom of Solomon and the Power of Zeus are two things Atom cannot compensate for.

The Wisdom of Solomon is rarely used by Billy. Based on what I've seen, he has to 'call upon it' for its use. In many of his physical confrontations, it's hardly ever an option (unless the plot calls for it), and even as Captain Marvel, his mind normally functions as that of a little boy's. So, I doubt he'd use it.

The Power of Zeus is a vague term for a set of abilities that he doesn't even use or has yet to unlock, save for magical resistance and a healing factor. He doesn't use sorcery in battle (he doesn't even know how), and the only other ability within the Power of Zeus is his ability to call down lightning in order to transform or use it to attack someone (but he would have to dodge it first).

As far as strength, speed (in which he doesn't use in battle often, anyway), and durability, Captain Atom can compensate for those (because he's in Marvel's physical class, based on showings).

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PowerHerc

@Static Shock said:

@PowerHerc said:

Captain Marvel wins.

Billy has more strength, speed and durability.

The Wisdom of Solomon is rarely used by Billy. Based on what I've seen, he has to 'call upon it' for its use. In many of his physical confrontations, it's hardly ever an option (unless the plot calls for it), and even as Captain Marvel, his mind normally functions as that of a little boy's. So, I doubt he'd use it.

The Power of Zeus is a vague term for a set of abilities that he doesn't even use or has yet to unlock, save for magical resistance and a healing factor. He doesn't use sorcery in battle (he doesn't even know how), and the only other ability within the Power of Zeus is his ability to call down lightning in order to transform or use it to attack someone (but he would have to dodge it first).

As far as strength, speed (in which he doesn't use in battle often, anyway), and durability, Captain Atom can compensate for those (because he's in Marvel's physical class, based on showings).

Wisdom: Rarely used or not, it's available and at his disposal so it's quite likely he'd use it if Captain Atom gave him a close enough fight.

Power of Zeus: Is a vague term which leaves the door wide open for a credible expansion and use of this ability considering Zeus' power level. He could reasonably 'unlock', as you state, it's full potential at any time.

Strength and Speed: Captain Atom can come close in both, but he still can't fully compensate for Captain Marvel's advantages in these areas and wouldn't fare well if he tried to defeat Marvel by attempting to match him in them. How often he uses his speed isn't relevant because he has been shown to use it and therefore he could and most likely would, considering his opponents abilities, in a battle against Captain Atom.

Durability: Atom's skin/containment shell has in fact been compromised on occasion while Marvel is seldom physically injured, and even when he is it's not very serious, despite fighting top high-level opponents like Superman, Spectre and Black Adam, all of whom are among the most powerful beings in the DCU.

Marvel is the mightier of the two Captains, imo, though I'm sure you believe the opposite to be true.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jeanroygrant

Captain Marvel

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Static Shock

@PowerHerc said:

Wisdom: Rarely used or not, it's available and at his disposal so it's quite likely he'd use it if Captain Atom gave him a close enough fight.

Just because it's available doesn't mean he'd think to use it. Out of all of the one-on-one fights he's had, I ever remember him resorting to the Wisdom of Solomon. I'm going based on what Billy is known to or most likely to do, based on the rules. You should do the same.

@PowerHerc said:

Power of Zeus: Is a vague term which leaves the door wide open for a credible expansion and use of this ability considering Zeus' power level. He could reasonably 'unlock', as you state, it's full potential at any time.

Not exactly. The issue here is that he's never unlocked it, so why would he unlock it's power now? He's never used sorcery before, so why would he use it now? It's an avenue he's never resorted to. I've only only Black Adam do something of this nature because he is more in tune with his powers than Billy. It's impossible to just 'learn' sorcery or 'unlock' a certain power in the middle of a fight when you have no experience in it either one of those things.

@PowerHerc said:

Strength and Speed: Captain Atom can come close in both, but he still can't fully compensate for Captain Marvel's advantages in these areas and wouldn't fare well if he tried to defeat Marvel by attempting to match him in them. How often he uses his speed isn't relevant because he has been shown to use it and therefore he could and most likely would, considering his opponents abilities, in a battle against Captain Atom.

Why can't he? Captain Atom has physically fought people in Captain Marvel's class on numerous occasions without any problems. One of them was even stronger than Billy. How is Billy different? How often he uses his speed is relevant. He's not like Superman, who has shown to use his speed in battle on certain occasions. Billy rarely, if ever, does that. Most of the time, his speed is used outside of battle, in order to get to the Rock of Eternity (via light speed). He's never moved this fast in the fight. Battle speed and Travel speed are two different things.

That's like trying to argue that Silver Surfer could use his speed in battle, when never does.

@PowerHerc said:

Durability: Atom's skin/containment shell has in fact been compromised on occasion

The problem is this that Billy isn't strong enough to compromise it, since Captain Atom has taken physical damage from several people in his class or greater without it getting compromised.

@PowerHerc said:

Marvel is the mightier of the two Captains, imo, though I'm sure you believe the opposite to be true.

I do think so. The difference between you and I is that you're arguing for Captain Marvel out of character.

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Chaos Prime

wasnt CM killed by a huge nuke in KC?

So at best imo this match is a stalemate :-)

RyuHayabusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RyuHayabusa

Captain atom would win this after a good fight.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Billy Batson

@Chaos Prime said:

Different characters.
BB

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@Static Shock: I thought you said you didn't debate anymore? :P
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Static Shock
@Illuminatus: I didn't say that. LOL. 

I do remember saying that  I didn't want to be acknowledged in that Rate the Debaters thread, though. 
Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@Static Shock: That's what I was referring to. My mistake then.
ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By ReVamp

Cap wins.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PowerHerc

@Static Shock said:

@PowerHerc said:

Just because it's available doesn't mean he'd think to use it. Out of all of the one-on-one fights he's had, I ever remember him resorting to the Wisdom of Solomon. I'm going based on what Billy is known to or most likely to do, based on the rules. You should do the same.

@PowerHerc said:

Not exactly. The issue here is that he's never unlocked it, so why would he unlock it's power now? He's never used sorcery before, so why would he use it now? It's an avenue he's never resorted to. I've only only Black Adam do something of this nature because he is more in tune with his powers than Billy. It's impossible to just 'learn' sorcery or 'unlock' a certain power in the middle of a fight when you have no experience in it either one of those things.

@PowerHerc said:

Why can't he? Captain Atom has physically fought people in Captain Marvel's class on numerous occasions without any problems. One of them was even stronger than Billy. How is Billy different? How often he uses his speed is relevant. He's not like Superman, who has shown to use his speed in battle on certain occasions. Billy rarely, if ever, does that. Most of the time, his speed is used outside of battle, in order to get to the Rock of Eternity (via light speed). He's never moved this fast in the fight. Battle speed and Travel speed are two different things.

That's like trying to argue that Silver Surfer could use his speed in battle, when never does.

@PowerHerc said:

Durability: Atom's skin/containment shell has in fact been compromised on occasion

The problem is this that Billy isn't strong enough to compromise it, since Captain Atom has taken physical damage from several people in his class or greater without it getting compromised.

@PowerHerc said:

I do think so. The difference between you and I is that you're arguing for Captain Marvel out of character.

You say he wouldn't use the wisdom available to him, I say he would.

I don't consider the Power of Zeus to be sorcery, it has never been defined as such, so Billy's use of sorcery isn't a factor, his use of Zeus's godly power is. Billy wouldn't need to learn sorcery, he's just have to access Zeus' true godly power.

People of Captain Marvel's power level have defeated Atom before, so I say Billy is capable and would defeat him, too. You say he wouldn't. We go in circles. Billy has used speed in battle before (in "Justice") and thus can again. This would be one of the times he would. And yes it would be "battle speed."

Captain Marvel is strong enough to compromise Atom's skin/containment suit. It's been done by lower powers than Billy's so he could do it, too.

Another difference between us is that you seem incapable of admitting that Captain Atom can be beat, yet on the comic pages he's far from being the unbeatable powerhouse you continually describe. The fact is; either of these two has the power to defeat the other.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Static Shock
@PowerHerc said:

You say he wouldn't use the wisdom available to him, I say he would.

Which is based on what, exactly? Any examples of Billy using the Wisdom of Solomon in one-on-one confrontations on a regular basis or on more than one occasion? Just asking, since characters are weighed based on regular showings? 

@PowerHerc said:

I don't consider the Power of Zeus to be sorcery, it has never been defined as such, so Billy's use of sorcery isn't a factor, his use of Zeus's godly power is. Billy wouldn't need to learn sorcery, he's just have to access Zeus' true godly power.

Sorcery is a part of it, though, based on what I've read. Other than that, when has Billy ever unlocked this godly power that you speak of? 

@PowerHerc said:

People of Captain Marvel's power level have defeated Atom before, so I say Billy is capable and would defeat him, too. You say he wouldn't. We go in circles. Billy has used speed in battle before (in "Justice") and thus can again. This would be one of the times he would. And yes it would be "battle speed."

Who, in Captain Marvel's class, has legitimately defeated Captain Atom? 

Last time I checked, Justice wasn't even canon, and even then, that's one instance. Compared to several others, Billy doesn't use his speed in battle. Like I said, characters are weighed based on regular showings, and using his speed in battle isn't a regular showing for him. But, since you feel the need to use this.... 

Captain Atom has a showing of using superhuman (operational) speed in battle against Ultraa. On three occasions, he has blitzed his enemies at superhuman speeds. On one occasion, he has stopped Mr. Majestic in mid blitz (and he's arguable faster than Captain Marvel) with an energy blast. On another occasion, he blasted the Ray (who regularly moves at light speed) out of the sky with energy blast tailored to take away his powers. If you believe Captain Marvel is going use his speed, I can say the same for Captain Atom. Thus, Marvel will not be successful in doing so, because Atom can react fast enough to keep up with him and stop any attempt to blitz him. 

@PowerHerc

said:

Captain Marvel is strong enough to compromise Atom's skin/containment suit. It's been done by lower powers than Billy's so he could do it, too.

Save for PIS (the Mary Marvel instance, LOL), several class 100+ beings haven't been able to. So, I don't know what 'lower powers' you're referring to. Other than that, Captain Atom has only been breached by special means that Captain Marvel cannot duplicate.  

@PowerHerc

said:

Another difference between us is that you seem incapable of admitting that Captain Atom can be beat, yet on the comic pages he's far from being the unbeatable powerhouse you continually describe. The fact is; either of these two has the power to defeat the other.

Thing is, I never said he was unbeatable. I'm saying that he can defeat Captain Marvel. It's you that's taking what I'm saying out of context, and then, arguing Captain Marvel out of character, saying he can do things he doesn't regularly do in battle.  

Or course either one has the power to defeat the other.  There's no disputing that . I'm also pretty positive that Captain Marvel is capable of winning without using the tactics you speak of. But, like you, I'm picking a side. Is that wrong for me to do so? That's the point of a debate, right?
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Static Shock
@Chaos Prime said:

To be fair, Kingdom Come takes place in Earth-22. 
Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Chaos Prime

@Static Shock said:

@Chaos Prime said:

To be fair, Kingdom Come takes place in Earth-22.

true but i thought that version of CM was all round alot tougher?

Still feel this is a very even match up that would probably result in a draw or a narrow victory for either fighter.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By Saren

That nuke also incinerated Power Girl and Citizen Steel. War must be serious business on Earth-22.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Static Shock
@Chaos Prime said:

true but i thought that version of CM was all round alot tougher?

He was. But, it was a different Captain Marvel. 
alosha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By alosha

captain atom

blackadamFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By blackadamFTW

This is a tough one.

I have to go with Captain Atom on this one.

actionmaker518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By actionmaker518

captain marvel

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MonsterStomp

Atom can possibly take this.

sync1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By sync1

Marvel takes it. He's more durable, thus will last longer.

Sylvain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Sylvain

Stalemate

Mattersuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers