Leaning toward atom.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7a162f64fe5
deactivated-5a7a162f64fe5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Actually that isn't what he is saying. He is saying that if he blows himself up, then the planet they are on will be destroyed as a side effect.

Well...technically, he is saying the planet they are on will be blown up. But he is blowing the planet up for a reason:

No Caption Provided

He's blowing the planet up so that it will destroy the force field surrounding the planet so he will be free of the force field. The result of blowing up the planet will be his destruction and his death:

Hence the conclusion I've drawn: Captain Atom can't endure planetary level explosions.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Hence the conclusion I've drawn: Captain Atom can't endure planetary level explosions.

Mmm, no. He saying he can cause an explosion that will destroy the planet along with himself. Because of the forcefield, we cant actually say if the energy he plans on unleasing is powerful enough to wipe out the solar system.

Let me put it this way, this is a planet being detonated:

No Caption Provided

What Atom was doing was turning himself into a huge suicide bomb, which is what he is saying in the first part of the first scan you posted.

So that said, it's still unknown if Captain Atom could survive standing on a planet that blows up, what is certain (and rather logical) he cannot survive blowing himself up in the fashion he intended to do.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure there is a thread for this already, I argued for Captain Atom all day and people just keep linking Infinity Gauntlet, HotU, or Cosmic Cube feats, so annoying.

That is silly, i'll grant you that. Thanos needs to use his brain here if he's going to get anywhere.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyper_temporal_shift said:

Mmm, no. He saying he can cause an explosion that will destroy the planet along with himself. Because of the forcefield, we cant actually say if the energy he plans on unleasing is powerful enough to wipe out the solar system.

Let me put it this way, this is a planet being detonated:

No Caption Provided

What Atom was doing was turning himself into a huge suicide bomb, which is what he is saying in the first part of the first scan you posted.

So that said, it's still unknown if Captain Atom could survive (????) standing on a planet that blows up, what is certain (and rather logical) he cannot survive blowing himself up in the fashion he intended to do.

Mmm, yes. I've bolded the parts of your response where you are clearly contradicting yourself.

The scan you submitted above has nothing to do with anything.

Let's examine your response and let's examine what the comic book says more closely.

First, you are contradicting yourself. On the one hand, you are saying that Atom was turning himself into a huge suicide bomb. I have a question for you: in your opinion, what happens when a character commits suicide? Isn't the result of said suicide the death of the individual committing the act? Yes, or no? Then you said, "i't still unknown if Captain Atom could survive". I'd say you answered your own question by indicating, as you did above, that Atom was turning himself into, "....a huge suicide bomb".

Let's review the scan:

No Caption Provided

Here is where your statement is accurate that he was going to turn himself into a huge suicide bomb. The scan above makes it clear he was willing to destroy himself. To be clear, when he said, "to destroy myself, what did he mean?

No Caption Provided

Notice that destroying himself would result in the destruction of his body, as the scan above makes perfectly clear.

Notice also that his hypothesis was not whether or not he would destroy his body, but the hypothesis was a reference to whether or not the shock wave from self detonating would be enough to counteract the planetary force field that was holding in place. He was clear that the explosion would result in the destruction of his body.

Let's examine the next scan:

No Caption Provided

The gentleman above remarks that CA's ploy is madness. Why? Because Captain Atom would be destroyed along with destroying the planet and in turn destroying the force field surrounding the planet. Captain Atom confirmed by responding: "Yes...for a time". Also, he said, "my body will reconstitute itself". Again, we have now reconfirmed what the previous two scans have showed that Captain Atom destroying himself would result in the destruction of his body, the destruction of the planet and in turn (hypothetically) the destruction of the force field surrounding the planet.

Notice our final scan:

No Caption Provided

Notice above the results of Atom destroying his body: his atoms being dispersed by said explosion and his death.

The scans are quite clear.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap Atom can´t do anything to put Thanos down but Atom can be knocked down temporary by Thanos.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#57  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@hyper_temporal_shift: That's not the best comparison.

Captain Atom would kill himself with animplosion. He was going to destroy his own body; which would be accomplished from the inside with control over his own matter. If he destroys his own body through his own methods he is going to die anyway; because he controls his own power and how he manipulates matter.

That does not suddenly mean that a physical force planetary attack or the destruction of another planet would destroy him. You need to look at what type of planetary explosion Atom would be up against.

If for example, Odin matter manipulated a planet and Captain Atom was on that planet, he's screwed. But if for example, he was on a planet and Superman punched that planet apart, he'd probably be fine.

kool_chris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: @jashro44: thanos without any power up fought galactus and held his own captain atom has no chance here, he's taken on beat stronger opponents than lets be real here ppl thanos EASY

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#59 frozen  Moderator

@jashro44: @jashro44: thanos without any power up fought galactus and held his own captain atom has no chance here, he's taken on beat stronger opponents than lets be real here ppl thanos EASY

Thanos knocked Galactus down and proceeded to loose badly. Thanos himself stated that he can't do anything against Galactus.

kool_chris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: I kno I'm saying captain atom ain't no galactus

BlackJudas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By BlackJudas

i dont know too much on Captain atom but he might win this

Exactly what I wanted to say, I know a little bit about him, if someone could be kind enough to post some of his greatest feats from the new 52 that'd be great. ( I've noticed some in the thread already)

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@hyper_temporal_shift: what @outside_85: is trying to say is: he will die in the suicide bomb. That is obvious.

but if he is placed on a random exploding planet, not committing suicide at the moment, it's possible he could survive the explosion.

Avatar image for captainmarvelthunder
CaptainMarvelThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Atom FTW

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He one shots Mongul. Then he shows his immense superiority in speed to Barry Allan. Yet, the third scan shows his best shot is enough to destroy the planet they're on. However, the same scan makes it clear he can't endure planetary level explosions and that significant time would pass before his atoms reassimilate.

That's not what he said. He said that he's going to blow himself up. The planet being destroyed is a side effect, not the cause of his body being destroyed.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Atom wins IMO under these conditions

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thanos

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He one shots Mongul. Then he shows his immense superiority in speed to Barry Allan. Yet, the third scan shows his best shot is enough to destroy the planet they're on. However, the same scan makes it clear he can't endure planetary level explosions and that significant time would pass before his atoms reassimilate.

That's not what he said. He said that he's going to blow himself up. The planet being destroyed is a side effect, not the cause of his body being destroyed.

^ This

Like others have said, all he is doing is blowing him self up. The reason for the planet being destroyed is because of his energy. I mean, if Thanos blows himself up, it wouldn't even hurt Batman because the only thing coming out of him is blood and guts.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Captain Atom wins IMO under these conditions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton said:

Disagree.

Scans show that Atom intended to blow the planet up and that that would not only destroy his body, but cause his death. He also indicated his atoms would eventually reassimilate over time and not right away.

Otherwise, why not just use an energy strike to destroy the force field? Why go the extreme measure of actually killing himself?

CA can't endure planetary level explosions.

EDIT:

To be even more clear: one of new 52 Captain Atom's ongoing themes is that his body is unstable. A sudden influx of significant energy, no matter the source, makes him susceptible to being destroyed:

His last issue shows that a sudden surge cause his entire form to disburse at the subatomic level. It took him a whole month to reassimilate:

No Caption Provided

Captain Atom similarly could not deal with a surge of energy that would cause planetary level explosions.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Thanos dies.

Kangconquers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No doubt, Captain Atom is faster than Thanos.

However, Captain Atom doesn't bring enough fire power to put the Mad Titan down.

Hopefully, it is a foregone conclusion around here that Thanos' level of durability is of the highest order. Given that Thanos endures planets and stars exploding with nary a scratch, endures energy shots from Odin and post retconn Beyonder what is Nathaniel going to do to Thanos?

Notice above, Atom can even manipulate the speed force.

I suppose one could call it a stalemate. Provided Atom utilizes his immense speed advantage at all times during the fight, he should always be able to stay away from Thanos and use ranged strikes. On the other hand, Thanos' durability puts him beyond Cap't ability to do any lasting harm to.

Stalemate.

This. I've seen no feats from Atom that prove he can hurt Thanos. That's not putting the good Captain down. Drax is the only Sub-Skyfather level character to conventionally "kill" Thanos, and that's because his mystical connection to Thanos.

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos via tp

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos via tp

Not allowed under these stipulations.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingant27: Surfer cannot beat Atom.No way Thanos is winning this battle.New 52 is way above Thanos.Thanos cannot bend space and time under his own power what is he going to do without an artifact.Blast him with his cosmic energy.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyper_temporal_shift: I'm not contradicting myself at all, because this is what I am saying:

• Captain Atom might easily survive a planet exploding beneath him.
  • Captain Atom will not survive blowing himself up.

There is a big difference between those two cases.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yet another Captain Atom thread

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: didn't see that, but Atom should win

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CPT Atom Stomps he always one of the most powerful characters in DC comics Too bad they keep nerfing him like other super heroes. Lets not talk about classic Atom

Thanos could never defeat This new 52 atom not classic atom.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Honestly? I think this can go either way under these stipulations. With TP I think they'd keep battling each other until eventually Thanos decided to use that tactic. Under these conditions, I don't know, I honestly feel it's a wash.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton said:

Disagree.

Scans show that Atom intended to blow the planet up and that that would not only destroy his body, but cause his death. He also indicated his atoms would eventually reassimilate over time and not right away.

Otherwise, why not just use an energy strike to destroy the force field? Why go the extreme measure of actually killing himself?

CA can't endure planetary level explosions.

Your conclusion doesnt follow from the scans. In fact they're pretty clear. Atom decides that in order to break the force field he has to blow himself up. Doing so would have the effects of 1) blowing up the planet, and 2) breaking the force field.

As far as why he does this and not just shoot off an energy attacks... well the answer seems clear as well, because he cant take down the force field with such an attack, for whatever reason.

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

utkanflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 280

Captain Atom.

he is matter manipulation and energy manipulation is good enough to take Thanos.. He's on different level now.

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Atom hands down.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85 said:

@hyper_temporal_shift: I'm not contradicting myself at all, because this is what I am saying:

• Captain Atom might easily survive a planet exploding beneath him.
  • Captain Atom will not survive blowing himself up.

There is a big difference between those two cases.

I understand what you are saying.

However, I still disagree. First, does Captain Atom have a single feat tanking a planetary level explosion? While tanking a blast and absorbing a blast might be two separate things...at the end of the day, we're talking semantics.

You're saying Cap can tank a planetary level explosion, yet the scans above show his molecular structure is unstable, particularly if he absorbs a large amount of energy. Simply absorbing the blast from a volcano almost finished him off. The last scan above shows a large enough blast will indeed disperse his atoms.

To me, you're spitting hairs. I see the difference you're making, but I still disagree.

As well, if he could perform an AoE energy strike and tank it, wouldn't it look more like this?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Notice above, the Surfer and Morg's release of energy destroys the planet they're on and some of the surrounding moons. This is the result of an AoE energy strike. Yet, both Surfer and Morg are intact.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand what you are saying.

However, I still disagree. First, does Captain Atom have a single feat tanking a planetary level explosion? While tanking a blast and absorbing a blast might be two separate things...at the end of the day, we're talking semantics.

You're saying Cap can tank a planetary level explosion, yet the scans above show his molecular structure is unstable, particularly if he absorbs a large amount of energy. Simply absorbing the blast from a volcano almost finished him off. The last scan above shows a large enough blast will indeed disperse his atoms.

To me, you're spitting hairs. I see the difference you're making, but I still disagree.

As well, if he could perform an AoE energy strike and tank it, wouldn't it look more like this?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Notice above, the Surfer and Morg's release of energy destroys the planet they're on and some of the surrounding moons. This is the result of an AoE energy strike. Yet, both Surfer and Morg are intact.

It's not really splitting hairs, its a principle of the way Captain Atom intends to use his powers in this case. And no, he hasn't, but that said, he's never really left Earth properly in the New 52before we see him on Mars 5 years later.

Consider that Atom was still discovering what he could do at the time, this 5 year's later version has more than likely moved past that limitation. And while true that Atom has a history of 'Quantum Leaping' whenever he absorbs too much energy, that is not to say he actually needs to absorb all of it.

Besides it's rather irrelevant to begin with since Thanos on his own isn't capable of destroying a planet unless he has one of his trinkets.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not really splitting hairs, its a principle of the way Captain Atom intends to use his powers in this case. And no, he hasn't, but that said, he's never really left Earth properly in the New 52 before we see him on Mars 5 years later.

Consider that Atom was still discovering what he could do at the time, this 5 year's later version has more than likely moved past that limitation. And while true that Atom has a history of 'Quantum Leaping' whenever he absorbs too much energy, that is not to say he actually needs to absorb all of it.

Besides it's rather irrelevant to begin with since Thanos on his own isn't capable of destroying a planet unless he has one of his trinkets.

Okay. To address the first bolded part of your response, about likely moving past the limitation of blowing himself up when he does an AoE energy strike:

If he doesn't have feats for it, I'm not granting him that ability. Too much other evidence I've submitted points to my notion being the correct conclusion.

Atom can't tank....or otherwise absorb....planetary level explosions. Not seeing it.

Second issue: Thanos' fight with Drax is what caused the planetary level explosion. There were no trinkets involved.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay. To address the first bolded part of your response, about likely moving past the limitation of blowing himself up when he does an AoE energy strike:

If he doesn't have feats for it, I'm not granting him that ability. Too much other evidence I've submitted points to my notion being the correct conclusion.

Atom can't tank....or otherwise absorb....planetary level explosions. Not seeing it.

Second issue: Thanos' fight with Drax is what caused the planetary level explosion. There were no trinkets involved.

You're misunderstanding what I am saying:

When I am mentioning the limitation, it is the ability to absorb the energy output of that volcano, that is a limitation I believe he as moved past simply due to him being more experienced in the use of his powers. That is not same as me saying he should be able to absorb the power of his own body exploding, that would be silly.

No, you bring evidence that the relatively unexperienced Captain Atom, that Firestorm ended blowing up, could not maintain molecular stability if he tried to absorb it all. That is not to say he cannot tank such a blast if he only intends to have himself live through it. Look at it this way, Atom absorbed a nuke going off saving a whole battlefield and the Flash from it, absorbing the energy is a lot harder than just standing next to it and let it blow.

And how would you know when he's never exposed to any? What we do see however is him easily stopping a man, that 99.9% of people will argue simply cant be touched, by manipulating time and space around him he can use that same trick in the face of an explosion and simply freeze it in place.

This isn't one of the usual Marvel 'planets' that turn out to be a hollowed out asteroid? Since Thanos is quite angry with Earth, and has been for some time now, so why hasn't he just blown it sky high if he could?

Avatar image for simon_the_digger
Simon_the_digger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Thanos.

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos

Avatar image for theholeinthings
TheHoleInThings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Id say its a stalemate. Thanos cant really kill Cap. Atom without one of his cosmic gadgets, similarly Cap. Atom doesnt have the firepower required to put down Thanos.

Maybe after a prolongued fight Cap. can come out on top if he fights smart (he has some really impressive feats from his solo series in the new 52) if i recall correctly he was able to manipulate time to a certain degree.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're misunderstanding what I am saying:

When I am mentioning the limitation, it is the ability to absorb the energy output of that volcano, that is a limitation I believe he as moved past simply due to him being more experienced in the use of his powers. That is not same as me saying he should be able to absorb the power of his own body exploding, that would be silly.

No, you bring evidence that the relatively unexperienced Captain Atom, that Firestorm ended blowing up, could not maintain molecular stability if he tried to absorb it all. That is not to say he cannot tank such a blast if he only intends to have himself live through it. Look at it this way, Atom absorbed a nuke going off saving a whole battlefield and the Flash from it, absorbing the energy is a lot harder than just standing next to it and let it blow.

And how would you know when he's never exposed to any? What we do see however is him easily stopping a man, that 99.9% of people will argue simply cant be touched, by manipulating time and space around him he can use that same trick in the face of an explosion and simply freeze it in place.

This isn't one of the usual Marvel 'planets' that turn out to be a hollowed out asteroid? Since Thanos is quite angry with Earth, and has been for some time now, so why hasn't he just blown it sky high if he could?

No. I'm not misunderstanding what you are saying. I understand clearly. You believe he has moved past a limitation.

But there aren't any feats to support this. His molecular instability in the face of energy absorption, no matter the source, was an ongoing theme in his new 52 books. Atom did absorb a nuke, but a nuke has far less power than a volcanic explosion (see the scans I already submitted) and much less a planetary explosion.

Moving through time so fast it stops doesn't = durability. He could probably outrace the explosion given his speed. But that doesn't mean he can tank....or absorb...the energy.

And you inquiry about Thanos is unfounded. He has already demonstrated he is a planet buster. My question is: why do you need more proof that Thanos could destroy the earth...when he has already busted a planet? Yet CA's atoms get dispersed from explosions far less than planetary when he absorbs the explosions and you insist that he can tank them?

I think you should be asking yourself why you are insisting Atom can do something feats don't support, but questioning whether Thanos can do something he has already demonstrated he can.

Produce one single feat of Nu 52 Atom tanking a planetary level explosion. Just one.

comic_bruh777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themagicstik: I haven't read anything on new 52 Atom but was interested in this thread... So Atom is dead or something? Come back from what fill me in if you don't mind please:)

VenomousTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By VenomousTaco
Replace Manhattan with Atom and Rorschach with Thanos...
Replace Manhattan with Atom and Rorschach with Thanos...

:-)

TheMagicStik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themagicstik: I haven't read anything on new 52 Atom but was interested in this thread... So Atom is dead or something? Come back from what fill me in if you don't mind please:)

Atom decided he wasn't meant for earth and flew off into space and he hasn't showed up since.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bizarre.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Thanos

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I'm not misunderstanding what you are saying. I understand clearly. You believe he has moved past a limitation.

Sorry, but no, you are completely missing the point.

• During his early ventures he absorbs all of the energy output of a volcano, because it's in the middle of New York
  • Similarly he absorbs the nuclear blast, quite correctly it will be less than the volcano
  • I stress absorb in both cases because he absorbs it all and neutralizes it all inside of himself so no one else gets hurt by it. This is very different from simply letting the energy bounce off him the way he lets Vostok and Cyborg shoot at him. In a way it's similar to how Wakandan Vibranium reacts to being struck compared to that of a normal metal.
  • That said, what Captain Atom is doing on Mars has nothing to do with the above and says nothing about his own durability, because he is turning all of his own energy in on himself causing an explosion that will destroy Mars in the process.

So while it is true he has not tanked a 'planet destroying blast' going on that he neared a limit of some kind with absorbing a volcano isn't usable. Nor is is usable when using the later scan of him using himself as a bomb.

Plus I still don't believe Thanos actually has that kind of power to dish out. Like Starlord said when he confronted him about the tear in time Age of Ultron caused:

Quill: "I figured you weren't the one with this kind of power, you would have used it."

Thanos: "True."

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos