#1 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

can the lightsaber cut through/break the shield? Assume Mace Windu wields the lightsaber and Cap is holding his shield, NO ACTUAL FIGHTING
#2 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

The lightsaber would not harm the shield at all.

#3 Edited by EdwardWindsor (14430 posts) - - Show Bio

Theres a few metals in the starwars universe that cant be cut by a saber so i would say that caps sheild could/should be equal to them.

#4 Posted by Senturion (146 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the vibrational properties of cap's shield should prevent the lightsaber from cutting it.

A Question, can the shield redirect energy it absorbs, for example if the hulk punched the shield then cap hit hulk with the shield would it have the energy from the punch to use against the hulk?

#5 Edited by kcaz (1371 posts) - - Show Bio

not sure, because lightsaber is an advanced weapon, which solidifies laser, and laser is suppose to cut through anything, including diamonds. i dont know if a thin piece of metal can stand against it. cap might be able to block short single strikes, but if windu holds the lightsaber against cap's shield and push on it, i think he might cut through it after a few seconds

#6 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@kcaz said:

not sure, because lightsaber is an advanced weapon, which solidifies laser, and laser is suppose to cut through anything, including diamonds. i dont know if a thin piece of metal can stand against it. cap might be able to block short single strikes, but if windu holds the lightsaber against cap's shield and push on it, i think he might cut through it after a few seconds

Lasers can cut through substances and materials that exist in real life. Caps shield is a nigh-invulnerable, super alloy, comic book item and not a thin piece of metal. His shield has withstood lasers and other energies without so much as a scratch. A lightsaber would not harm his shield whatsoever.

#7 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@Senturion said:

I think the vibrational properties of cap's shield should prevent the lightsaber from cutting it.

A Question, can the shield redirect energy it absorbs, for example if the hulk punched the shield then cap hit hulk with the shield would it have the energy from the punch to use against the hulk?

Cap has deflected and redirected beams shot at him with the shield in via "reflection", but the shield does not absorb kinetic or other energies that can then be released later like Bishop does.

#8 Posted by JediWaffles (746 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSwordsman said:

@kcaz said:

Lasers can cut through substances and materials that exist in real life. Caps shield is a nigh-invulnerable, super alloy, comic book item and not a thin piece of metal. His shield has withstood lasers and other energies without so much as a scratch. A lightsaber would not harm his shield whatsoever.

I beg to differ. I'd actually go for the lightsaber. Cap's shield is made up from Vibranium is it not? The shield's property is to rob objects of its kinetic energy. A lightsaber slowly pressing against the shield isn't as much kinetic energy as it is the intrinsic force of the lightsaber itself. In which case i think it would cut through the shield. It would however, take a while. The shield SHOULD be able to block slashes and strikes normally, though.

#9 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSwordsman: I agree a glancing blow would just singe its paintwork, but a sustained thrust from a master in lightsaber duelling is likely to break it...

#10 Edited by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediWaffles said:

@TheSwordsman said:

@kcaz said:

I beg to differ. I'd actually go for the lightsaber. Cap's shield is made up from Vibranium is it not? The shield's property is to rob objects of its kinetic energy. A lightsaber slowly pressing against the shield isn't as much kinetic energy as it is the intrinsic force of the lightsaber itself. In which case i think it would cut through the shield. It would however, take a while. The shield SHOULD be able to block slashes and strikes normally, though.

No, caps shield is actually made from a steel alloy that is as strong if not stronger than true Adamantium. The lightsaber would do no harm to the shield simply because of the shields atoms covalent bonds. It is simply too invulnerable for the lightsaber to do any damage. Also the kinetic energy of a lightsaber is the photons moving at light speed (which is why a laser cuts) so even pressing it slowly does not make the photons slow down.

The shield was retconned to be a vibranium/iron alloy though and was referred to sometimes as an adamantium/vibranium alloy in some comics. Also the kinetic energy of a lightsaber is the photons moving at light speed (which is why a laser cuts) so even pressing it slowly does not make the photons slow down so that would not help it to cut vibranium per se. Lightsabers cutting has nothing at all to do with force.

#11 Edited by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer said:

@TheSwordsman: I agree a glancing blow would just singe its paintwork, but a sustained thrust from a master in lightsaber duelling is likely to break it...

The shield is simply too "indestructable" for the lightsaber to do any damage whatsoever. A lightsaber cuts by intense heat, not kinetic force, so it wouldn't break a steel shield per se but would cut it via intense heat in the same manner as an acetylene torch or arc welder, but it still would not harm caps shield at all.

#12 Posted by kcaz (1371 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSwordsman said:

@JediWaffles said:

@TheSwordsman said:

@kcaz said:

No, caps shield is actually made from a steel alloy that is as strong if not stronger than true Adamantium. The lightsaber would do no harm to the shield simply because of the shields atoms covalent bonds. It is simply too invulnerable for the lightsaber to do any damage.

i'm not sure but that, lightsaber was able to affect strong blast doors which were made to withstand strong explosions, powerful blasters and even lightsaber. but qui gon was able to melt it by holding his lightsaber against it. you will find that the properties of metal will change a lot when subjected to high temperatures

#13 Edited by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@kcaz said:

@TheSwordsman said:

@JediWaffles said:

@TheSwordsman said:

@kcaz said:

No, caps shield is actually made from a steel alloy that is as strong if not stronger than true Adamantium. The lightsaber would do no harm to the shield simply because of the shields atoms covalent bonds. It is simply too invulnerable for the lightsaber to do any damage.

i'm not sure but that, lightsaber was able to affect strong blast doors which were made to withstand strong explosions, powerful blasters and even lightsaber. but qui gon was able to melt it by holding his lightsaber against it. you will find that the properties of metal will change a lot when subjected to high temperatures

@TheSwordsman said:

@JediWaffles said:

@TheSwordsman said:

@kcaz said:

No, caps shield is actually made from a steel alloy that is as strong if not stronger than true Adamantium. The lightsaber would do no harm to the shield simply because of the shields atoms covalent bonds. It is simply too invulnerable for the lightsaber to do any damage. Also the kinetic energy of a lightsaber is the photons moving at light speed (which is why a laser cuts) so even pressing it slowly does not make the photons slow down.

The shield was retconned to be a vibranium/iron alloy though and was referred to sometimes as an adamantium/vibranium alloy in some comics. Also the kinetic energy of a lightsaber is the photons moving at light speed (which is why a laser cuts) so even pressing it slowly does not make the photons slow down so that would not help it to cut vibranium per se. Lightsabers cutting has nothing at all to do with force.

Edited before I read your post.Caps shield has proven to be immune to high temperatures time and time again. You are thinking in terms of real life metals. Caps shield will not be effected by high temperatures whatsoever no matter how long it is exposed to them.

Edit. Blast doors are not caps shield. His shield is virtually indestructable.

#14 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

its hard to imagine the lightsaber doing anything other than just going straight through it..

#15 Edited by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer said:

its hard to imagine the lightsaber doing anything other than just going straight through it..

A laser beam only gets to about 1000 degrees Celsius. A lightsaber wont even scratch Caps shield.

#16 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

No, it won't.

#17 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSwordsman said:

@The_Thunderer said:

A laser beam only gets to about 1000 degrees Celsius. A lightsaber wont even scratch Caps shield.

Even in the recent AvX story arc, Cyclops full power blasted his damn shield, and the shield pretty much absorbed the whole hit without a single dent.

I think its called Vibranum because it vibrates in its own lattice or something, which "shakes" off the energy by transferring it to the air around it. I remember reading it in a time when Marvel tried to be all science-y and tried explaining. (Did a pretty good job with it comes to Cyclops' visors though I hate to admit)

#18 Edited by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu said:

@TheSwordsman said:

@The_Thunderer said:

Even in the recent AvX story arc, Cyclops full power blasted his damn shield, and the shield pretty much absorbed the whole hit without a single dent.

I think its called Vibranum because it vibrates in its own lattice or something, which "shakes" off the energy by transferring it to the air around it. I remember reading it in a time when Marvel tried to be all science-y and tried explaining. (Did a pretty good job with it comes to Cyclops' visors though I hate to admit)

Well, technically his new shield is enchanted and reinforced with Uru making it even stronger (I pretend like this did not happen though. i would have rather seen him use his old True Adamantium one than a magical one). With that said, only Doom with the beyonders power, Thanos with the Infinity gauntlet, The serpent who was even stronger than Odin, Thor with the odinforce, and the molecule man via molecular manipulation were ever able to destroy the shield. A lightsaber is like flaming toothpick against it. No offense to anyone.

#19 Posted by FourthDeity (2234 posts) - - Show Bio

This is kinda hard to scale considering cap has never been hit with something like a Saber.

But for the hell of it I say his shield remains intact

#20 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSwordsman: erm RKT broke it...

#21 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSwordsman said:

@tomchu said:

@TheSwordsman said:

@The_Thunderer said:

Well, technically his new shield is enchanted and reinforced with Uru making it even stronger (I pretend like this did not happen though. i would have rather seen him use his old True Adamantium one than a magical one). With that said, only Doom with the beyonders power, Thanos with the Infinity gauntlet, The serpent who was even stronger than Odin, Thor with the odinforce, and the molecule man via molecular manipulation were ever able to destroy the shield. A lightsaber is like flaming toothpick against it. No offense to anyone.

Oh, don't forgot THE POWER OF THE DARK PHOENIX.

Hell, Marvel needs to have a scale of power, because if not they will forever be introducing something stronger and stronger to the point it gets ridiculous. (I think it has already hit that limit though, but people simply shrug and move on. meh.)

#22 Posted by Wyldsong (5816 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer said:

RKT (I assume you mean Rune King Thor) is a bit of an extreme case much like the aforementioned others.

#23 Posted by Wyldsong (5816 posts) - - Show Bio

An example of the shield standing up to Thor's power, which is a bit beyond a lightsaber...

#24 Posted by Bo88gdan (4497 posts) - - Show Bio

Shiled

#25 Posted by cassiuss (44 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok my q@TheSwordsman: id have to agree with tomchu on this...the the mystical properties i think the shield should hold up

#26 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Shield wins.

I.A.T.

#27 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSwordsman said:

The lightsaber would not harm the shield at all.

@The_Thunderer said:

Rune King Thor didn't even meet Captain America. That was King Thor.

#28 Posted by rdskns4eva (201 posts) - - Show Bio

Caps shield has faced more damaging attacks than a light saber.

#29 Posted by Erik (33329 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSwordsman said:

@Senturion said:

Cap has deflected and redirected beams shot at him with the shield in via "reflection", but the shield does not absorb kinetic or other energies that can then be released later like Bishop does.

Debatable. The shield is made of a metal that absorbs energy by design. And really, it is the only way to explain most of the crazy shield feats anyway. It does not fire energy or anything like that but logically, it should be able to release stored energy kinetically.

#30 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@Erik said:

@TheSwordsman said:

@Senturion said:

Debatable. The shield is made of a metal that absorbs energy by design. And really, it is the only way to explain most of the crazy shield feats anyway. It does not fire energy or anything like that but logically, it should be able to release stored energy kinetically.

Not debatable at all. The shield does not store and release kinetic energy like Bishop does. And that is not the only way to explain its feats anymore than it is the only way to explain Adamantiums feats. You may want the shields properties to follow some sort of self-made logic of your own for arguments sake and state what it should do or how it should work but the shield simply does not work that way, and never has. It does not release stored energy kinetically. It disperses/dissipates/deflects it. Period.

#31 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

I have been swayed by the arguments of The Swordsman I think Cap's Shield could take it, anyone else think he should name it?

#32 Posted by Illuminatus (9510 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't Cap's current shield contain traces of uru?

#33 Posted by nickzambuto (14409 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer said:

All I can say is get used to it.

I don't even know why this has gone on as long as it has, what has a lightsaber done that gives any inclination it can go through cap's shield, which has withstood hits from Hulk, Thor, Thanos... only direct matter manipulation has proven effective against vibranium.

#34 Posted by mezlabor (87 posts) - - Show Bio

Heat=Kinetic energy. Its the atoms and molecules moving in a structure that create heat. Caps shield is indestructible because the atoms that make it up don't move. No force can cause the atoms dont move either via direct concussive blows or through heat. Either way heat or not the atoms in that shield retain their pattern. It wouldn't actually even get hot if real science were applied to the shields comic properties. Lightsaber does not cut Caps shield. Wont cut admantium either.

#35 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer said:

I have been swayed by the arguments of The Swordsman I think Cap's Shield could take it, anyone else think he should name it?

I really appreciate the acknowledgment, Thunderer.

Naming his shield would be a great idea, especially now since it is a magic item created by Dwarves just as Mjolnir was. What would you call it? I would call it something like Victory or maybe since it is a now magical artifact perhaps something in Old Norse such as Austrvegrvarðir ("the defender" or "the protector") or Lifvarðir ("life protector" or "protector of life").

#36 Posted by thanobomb1124 (2015 posts) - - Show Bio
@Wyldsong

An example of the shield standing up to Thor's power, which is a bit beyond a lightsaber...

That was crazy. lol
#37 Posted by God_Spawn (38235 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomchu said:

@TheSwordsman said:

@The_Thunderer said:

-_-.....

#38 Edited by ImmortalOne (3519 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one who finds it hard to imagine a shield reflecting the lightsaber?

Anyways, a lightsaber's blade is a focused length of pure plasma held together by a "force field." Plasma is around 18,000 degrees Fahrenheit, so we can assume that's the temperature of a lightsaber. According to the wiki, there are only three metals in the Star Wars universe that can block lightsabers- Cortosis, which causes the blade to short out, Phrik, a metal substance that can block lightsabers, and Mandalore iron, a nearly indestructible metal (although repeated strikes could pass through the metal).

Captain America's shield is made of vibranium, which has the ability to absorb vibratory waves into it, which means it's nearly impossible to destroy. It's withstood Iron Man's beams, Thor's lightning, Cyclop's lasers, etc. However, it was ripped apart by the Serpent, and in the non-canon Earth-Iron Doom, when Cap was killed by Magneto, the shield was melted through.

So my conclusion is that if the temperature is high enough, Vibranium should melt like other metals, and a lightsaber might be able cut Cap's shield after a lot of blows, but I'm more leaning towards Captain America's shield deflecting it.

#39 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

The Lightsaber doesn't even scratch Caps shield. Its a comination of Vibranium and Adamantium. Vibranium doesn't get affected from heat.

#40 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@ImmortalOne said:

Am I the only one who finds it hard to imagine a shield reflecting the lightsaber?

Anyways, a lightsaber's blade is a focused length of pure plasma held together by a "force field." Plasma is around 18,000 degrees Fahrenheit, so we can assume that's the temperature of a lightsaber. According to the wiki, there are only three metals in the Star Wars universe that can block lightsabers- Cortosis, which causes the blade to short out, Phrik, a metal substance that can block lightsabers, and Mandalore iron, a nearly indestructible metal (although repeated strikes could pass through the metal).

Captain America's shield is made of vibranium, which has the ability to absorb vibratory waves into it, which means it's nearly impossible to destroy. It's withstood Iron Man's beams, Thor's lightning, Cyclop's lasers, etc. However, it was ripped apart by the Serpent, and in the non-canon Earth-Iron Doom, when Cap was killed by Magneto, the shield was melted through.

So my conclusion is that if the temperature is high enough, Vibranium should melt like other metals, and a lightsaber might be able cut Cap's shield after a lot of blows, but I'm more leaning towards Captain America's shield deflecting it.

I don't find it hard to imagine at all. The Serpent was more powerful than Odin at the point where he broke caps shield and the reforging of his shield by the dwarves involved magic and enchantments and the Odinforce. Also the shield has resisted sustained lightning attacks which heats the air around it to around 54,000 degrees Fahrenheit. it would have no difficulty resisting a lightsaber at all.

Plus this:@thanobomb1124 said:

@Wyldsong

That was crazy. lol

Note the part where he states that it survived the fire of an intercontinental (nuclear) missile?

Plus this:

@VercingetorixTheGreat said:

The Lightsaber doesn't even scratch Caps shield. Its a comination of Vibranium and Adamantium. Vibranium doesn't get affected from heat.

And now it is enchanted and contains Uru as well and is even stronger than it was before.