#1 Posted by Shiryu (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

Would Static's electricity be strong enough to hurt Mr. Fantastic? Or would Mr. Fantastic's rubber body reflect the attacks? The real question is basically, is Static's electricity strong enough to hurt this Rubberman?

#2 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably not. Rubber is an insulator.

#3 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio

Most likely not.

#4 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes it can. Energy attacks can hurt him. He isn't really that rubbery to the point where it wouldn't work.

#5 Posted by King Saturn (223733 posts) - - Show Bio
Hmm...interesting. Maybe Static could hurt Mr. Fantastic
#6 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio
zee crusher said:
"Yes it can. Energy attacks can hurt him. He isn't really that rubbery to the point where it wouldn't work."
Reed can withstand explosions. Don't think electricity is going to work....

caption

#7 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio
King Saturn said:
"Hmm...interesting. Maybe Static could hurt Mr. Fantastic"
Static tried to overload Rubberband Man in the T.V. show, but failed. How could his powers work on Mr. Fantastic?
#8 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio
Static Shock said:
"zee crusher said:
"Yes it can. Energy attacks can hurt him. He isn't really that rubbery to the point where it wouldn't work."
Reed can withstand explosions. Don't think electricity is going to work....

caption

"
Explosions go under the category of physical force. If you drop a bomb and it doesn't blow you back you won't really die from it unless its dropped on you of course. That bomb was physical. Shot an energy gun or photon ray at him it will hurt static can hurt him.
#9 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

didn't doom throw a bolt of electricity at him?

#10 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio

Explosions aren't just physical force. With them comes energy as well. When an explosion goes off in a crowd of people, don't they get incinerated, and blow to pieces? I'm sure a photon ray or an energy gun (depending on the energy) could hurt Reed. But, this is electricity we are talking about. Reed is made of rubber. Rubber absorbs electricity.

#11 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"didn't doom throw a bolt of electricity at him?"
In the movie, yes. But that was the movie. Different from the original Reed.
#12 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Mhmmmmmmm

#13 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio
Static Shock said:
"Explosions aren't just physical force. With them comes energy as well. When an explosion goes off in a crowd of people, don't they get incinerated, and blow to pieces? I'm sure a photon ray or an energy gun (depending on the energy) could hurt Reed. But, this is electricity we are talking about. Reed is made of rubber. Rubber absorbs electricity.
"

Reed isn't made of rubber. Its some similar type of material. Also in a bomb when people get incinerated thats the heat from the bomb. The things in the bomb when they got off are in a process. The force, then the heat, then the acid rain depending on the bomb. Then the left over which cause deformaty. But either way he can be effected by electricity.
#14 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio

Has he been affected by electricity before in the comics?

#15 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio
Static Shock said:
"Has he been affected by electricity before in the comics?
"
I think so but can't remember by who. Sadly I don't read F4 fully. I"ll try and find it however.
#16 Posted by Shiryu (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

Rubber reflects Lightning. Not sure about electricity because they are two different things.

Static Shock
said:

"King Saturn said:
Static tried to overload Rubberband Man in the T.V. show, but failed. How could his powers work on Mr. Fantastic?
"

Guess I didn't see that episode. What a dummy I am!
#17 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio
Shiryu said:
"Rubber reflects Lightning. Not sure about electricity because they are two different things.

Static Shock
said:
"King Saturn said:
"

Guess I didn't see that episode. What a dummy I am!"
Why are you calling yourself dumb? That's what we are here for..if you don't know something other people will tell you.Everyone doesn't know everything.
#18 Posted by Gloom (3653 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually do believe that as long as Mr. Fantastic's skin isn't actual rubber, as in it being normal skin with the ability to stretch, then electricity should affect him, if only at a certain degree.

#19 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio
Gloom said:
"I actually do believe that as long as Mr. Fantastic's skin isn't actual rubber, as in it being normal skin with the ability to stretch, then electricity should affect him, if only at a certain degree.
"
It's not actual rubber.
#20 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio
Shiryu said:
"Rubber reflects Lightning. Not sure about electricity because they are two different things.
They are the same thing. Lightning falls under electricity.
#21 Posted by the creator (8559 posts) - - Show Bio

Reeds body is still organic, not rubber. His cells and structure have been modified to be able to radically deform and hence he can withstand large physical forces but he does not ahve any superhuman resistance to other energy forms, which includes heat, cold and electricity.

Doctor Doom has overcome him before with an electrical charge - effectively freezing his muscles as it would with a normal person.

Here's the quote on Reeds abilities from the OHOTMU,

"Mister Fantastic possesses the ability to convert the mass of his entire body into a highly malleable state at will. In such a state, he can stretch, deform, expand, or compress his entire body or parts thereof into any contiguous shape he can imagine. He can extend his limbs, torso, or neck to great distances: the maximum length he can distend before his body segments become painful is about 1,500 feet. (Although he can extend discrete body parts, such as a single finger, an ear, or an eye, he seldom if ever isolates such parts in his elongations.) He can also extend his body in two directions, creating a canopy, parachute, or sheath, its thickness determined by the extent of its distention. He has compressed his body into the shape of a solid sphere, a cylinder, a cube, a toroid, and a rectangular prism: he can assume the shape of any solid that he can envision clearly, of a volume no greater than 1.7 cubic feet (a sphere about 18 inches in diameter). He can generate thin-walled shapes that enclose great volumes of space. Mister Fantastic can flatten himself to the thickness of an average sheet of typing paper (.0035 inch) or narrow himself to a diameter small enough to pass through the eye of a #10 beading needle (about .045 x .06 inches). How his body's respiration and circulatory systems function at these distorted extremes is as yet unknown. Mister Fantastic can alter his form in a matter of seconds, often much less (depending on the complexity of the shape), and revert to his normal humanoid shape within a similar time. The greater the distance he stretches or the more extended the size of the object he becomes, the weaker his overall strength becomes.

Due to the great malleability and elasticity of his molecular structure, Mister Fantastic is able to absorb the impact of any type of man-made ballistic projectile by deforming his body along the path of the projectile's trajectory at the point of initial impact. After his body absorbs the kinetic energy of a ballistic projectile's impact, he can expel the object back along its trajectory by flexing like a trampoline if he is adequately braced. He can enclose and absorb the energy of a large explosive, on the order of 8 to 12 pounds of TNT (excluding exotic, high density explosives). Such shocks to his system are physically exhausting.

Mister Fantastic's transformation to a malleable state is reflexive and nearly instantaneous: if he was at his normal form and taken unaware by machine gun fire, his body would still absorb the bullets' impact through radical deformation. Mister Fantastic's skin is virtually impervious to laceration or punctures unless he wilfully relaxes his reflexive control over small areas of his body. In that case, scalpels and ordinary needles can penetrate his skin."