Can Boxers Punch Concrete Like Karate Punchers

Fragneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Fragneto

In karate, they teach you to punch using a momentum that keeps on going. Punching layers of wooden planks that later become layers of concrete blocks and then punching through brick walls. 
Teaching is that a karate punch is supposed to punch through a skull and break through bones if someone blocks your punches. 

In Boxing, they teach you the fluid mechanics of a punch, but they don't teach you how to break bones with your punches using the on going momentum force. You don't see boxers punching through bricks with their bare hands. 

So the question is, can a Boxer punch harder than a Karate fighter?

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Aiden Cross

I'd say it depends on the one doing the punching/chopping.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ab1ccc482197
deactivated-5ab1ccc482197

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Fragneto said:
Boxer punch harder than a Karate fighter?
Depends on the individuals.
Fragneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fragneto
@Aiden Cross said:
I'd say it depends on the one doing the punching/chopping.
Not really, it's also a mental issue. For example, I don't think Mike Tyson would punch through 5 layers of 4 inch concrete because he's probably scared he might break his fist.
Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Aiden Cross
@Fragneto: That's why I said it depends on the one doing the punching/chopping.
Fragneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fragneto
@Aiden Cross said:
@Fragneto: That's why I said it depends on the one doing the punching/chopping.
Well who is that one because boxers don't typically punch hard objects like brick walls or concrete with their bare hands.
OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OmegaDynasty

What the boxers say to concrete 

Fragneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fragneto
@OmegaDynasty said:

I think Apollo Creed could wipe the floor with Floyd Mayweather Jr.
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ssejllenrad
@Fragneto said:

@OmegaDynasty said:

I think Apollo Creed could wipe the floor with Floyd Mayweather Jr.
For pity's sake he's a heavyweight! ........................But I'd like to see that! :D
Avatar image for kapitein_zeppos
kapitein_zeppos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kapitein_zeppos

Thanks to Hollywood, where a 90-pound waif can take out a man nearly three times her size with a single uppercut to the jaw, we all believe that all punches are equal.  Anybody who has ever thrown a punch in a real fight and was in pain for days afterwards knows what I'm talking about. 

Fact is that when throwing a punch, your hand will exert a certain amount of force and the more force you apply the greater risk of injury.  So a bone-shattering punch is just as likely to shatter your own bones.

In the old days of bareknuckle fighting, men avoided hitting the face, chest and other bone areas because they could damage their hands and hence lose the fight.  Thanks to boxing gloves boxers can hit most areas of the body without such fears.  Fatality rates have actually gone up since the use of gloves because they can hit areas that would be risky to hit with bare fists.  And for those who think that the padded gloves cushion the blows, think again ...

Karate demonstrations where you punch through planks and bricks are a bit of a show, it's a bit of a trick really.  The classic plank supported by two bricks can be done by anybody who knows what they are doing because the amount of energy needed to break the board is nowhere near injury risk, but if the bricks are sufficiently close together it's a different game as you need a lot more force to punch through the board and the risk of injury goes up.  I'm not aware of karate masters actually knocking a hole through a brick wall though as the resistance of such a wall is often dangerously high.  I've seen karate schools demolish houses, but that's usually knocking bricks off already damaged walls, for which you don't need that much force to accomplish.
h
Some Karate practitioners like the notorious Mas Oyama practice by punching hard things (rocks, trees, walls) from dusk till dawn, as a result they get lots of bone micro-lesions which when healed, calcify the bones of the hands, feet etc and make them harder.  You can tell those guys by the state of their hands, they may not be pretty, but they can hit things that would make boxers and normal people scream out in pain (as their hands are tougher and they are used to the pain).  Their hands are more like hammers and they can really do serious damage.

As said in the OP, boxing and karate are different skill sets.  Boxing involves a number of techniques such as repeated blows (jabbing) and the classic side-on head impact, which when sustained enough times will lead to permanent brain damage. Karate has different moves, includes kicks etc and as said above certain schools train to make their hands and feet much harder.

I'm sure that a lot of heavyweight boxers can and and could punch concrete blocks with the right training, but then again so could the 90-pound waif ...

As for punching through brick or concrete walls I doubt few people could do this and most likely it would be people who are already used to hitting hard things a lot..

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ssejllenrad
@kapitein_zeppos: Great post! This might just be the most critically thought of and informative post in the thread.

One thing though...
Some Karate practitioners like the notorious Mas Oyama practice by punching hard things (rocks, trees, walls) from dusk till dawn, as a result they get lots of bone micro-lesions which when healed, calcify the bones of the hands, feet etc and make them harder.
You forgot to mention bull's head... Nyehehehe!
Avatar image for saiyan_earthling
saiyan_earthling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By saiyan_earthling

Not too sure unless you see a boxer doing so as part of his training. They should be able to as long as they're committed to that type of training, though it could be difficult since from my P.O.V. they hit the punching bag with gloves on and mostly practice on their speed.

OptimusPalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By OptimusPalm

When breaking stuff, martial artists strike in a 'straight' attack. A boxers hardest punch is usually the hook and or haymaker. both these punches are made in an arc, which would not be as affective at breaking through things (because after the point of impact the fist follows an arc rather than going straight). If a boxer trained at punching like a martial artist then they would be as efective at breaking stuff. 
Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Rumble Man

Concrete does not fight back, but it would be super cool to see them break people though

Bane_of_sith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bane_of_sith

' When Marciano was destroying all challengers with his blockbuster assault, the U.S. Testing Co. was asked to measure the power of Rocky's wallop. Its findings: "Marciano's knockout blow packs more explosive energy than an armour-piercing bullet and represents as much energy as would be required to spot lift 1000 pounds one foot off the ground." Boxing Illustrated December 1963

greenteaforme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By greenteaforme

Not a battle.

Not even comic related.

Bane_of_sith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bane_of_sith

And FYI I've trained in martial arts for almost twenty years. I started with boxing and a lot of you have watched to many movies. And your info on boxers is wrong,,way wrong. There are many different types of boxers, some train to be quick and agile, others are powerhouses, some are " boxers" others are " sluggers" or brawlers. And since the dawn of boxing many have employed strict regimens to toughen and condition there hands much like in karate. For example jack Dempsey would soak his hands in horse eurine to toughen the skin. Boxing isn't solely based on speed. It depends on your style, and any expert would tell most of the ones posting in this thread to stick to comic books. Boxers employ their entire body to make a powerful strike at a close distance, it makes them more effective in CQC conditions which is where most real fights take place. CQC means close quarter combat in case you don't know