Can anybody in fiction stop Thanos?

• 152 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JeanXon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Can anybody in fiction stop Thanos? (180 votes)

Yes 88%
No 12%

First of all I'm refering to Thanos with the HOTU.

Any character can team up with any other character

TOAA is only allowed in this debate if your talking about the Celestial not Stan Lee

No Bugs Bunny

• 
ValarMelkor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some versions of Homer Simpson.

hirev_starman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Pikachu

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the list of people who cant "stop" him is smaller than the list who can.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman.

NotATreeABush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many people can

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PR Beyonder, Presence, Elder God Demonbane, Azathoth, Nyarlothep, Grant Morrison, Primal Monitor, and probably classic Synnar the Demiurge.

Imperfect_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BALEE_DATTTTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PR Beyonder, Presence, Elder God Demonbane, Azathoth, Nyarlothep, Grant Morrison, Primal Monitor, and probably classic Synnar the Demiurge.

None of them could. Thanos basicially became Jim Starlin in the HOTU storyline.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mysticmedivh

@balee_dattttt said:

@mysticmedivh said:

No, he didn't. He couldn't even recreate the universe without giving up his power. Everyone I listed could defeat him.

thelocust619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thelocust619

Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Ultimecia, Dark Schnieder, and Femtos. Thats probably more or less my non-omnipotent omnipotent-smashing dream team. Together (with perfect teamwork, of course) they'd basically equal a multidimensional nigh-omnipotent, as far as their offense. 3 time manipulators, 3 causality manipulators, 1 character that can breathe life into your own imaginations and use them against you, 2 characters unimpeded by the seperations between dimensions and one that can outright create them, IIRC. Then the universe busting.

This might be overkill though, idk alot about Thanos but from what I gather he's basically in the same tier as the LT or a tier under, as I seem to recall something about a dispute someone was having over whether the LT was afraid to fight him due to his decision to reason with Thanos instead of engaging.

Avatar image for traskindustries
traskindustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sise-Neg, PR Molecule Man, PR Beyonder

Super_Mod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Duh.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Ultimecia, Dark Schnieder, and Femtos. Thats probably more or less my non-omnipotent omnipotent-smashing dream team. Together they basically equal a multidimensional omnipotent, as far as their offense. 3 time manipulators, 3 causality manipulators, 1 character that can breathe life into your own imaginations and use them against you, 2 characters unimpeded by the seperations between dimensions and one that can outright create them, IIRC. This is probably overkill though, idk alot about Thanos but from what I gather he's basically in the same tier as the LT, as i think i recall something about a dispute over whether the LT was afraid to fight him due to his decision to reason with Thanos instead of engaging.

He's above LT.

STTGL and DS for sure wouldn't beat him. What feats to Ultimecia and Femtos have?

LT actually confronted HoTU Thanos. He was afraid of PR Beyonder, which who you're probably thinking of.

NightwingX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This girl can beat him

No Caption Provided

nerdchore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

King mickey. Composite mario. Popeye with spinach

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goku duh

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@balee_dattttt said:

@mysticmedivh said:

No, he didn't. He couldn't even recreate the universe without giving up his power. Everyone I listed could defeat him.

You know a character is overpowered when we're using "he couldn't EVEN create an entire universe!" as a low showing.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysticmedivh said:

@balee_dattttt said:

@mysticmedivh said:

You know a character is overpowered when we're using "he couldn't EVEN create an entire universe!" as a low showing.

Hehe.

In the larger scheme of things, we have some characters who have destroyed and recreated an infinite amount of multiverses.

SpinnerComix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

No Caption Provided

BALEE_DATTTTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BALEE_DATTTTT

@balee_dattttt said:

@mysticmedivh said:

That's because the writer of the story, Starlin put in the failsafe that the only way to recreate the universe was to sacrifice yourself. Thanos having to sacrifice himself isn't a knock on himself, because TOAA (Starlin) would have to to have done the same, which Thanos stated himself. HOTU is basicially fan-service, the story was written to make Thanos as powerful as possible, and still make him die a hero (hence the sacrifice). Thanos himself was guided to HOTU by TOAA, he was suppossed to be an Avatar of TOAA. This is why it was retconned by the Marvel Editors. Because we had Thanos become Nigh Omnipotent twice, first with the Cosmic Cube and then with Gauntlet. The HOTU was specificially meant to be immensely more powerful than both of them, which Thanos noted. And considering both of those item give you multiversal power, I think its pretty clear that Thanos was multiversal (If it wasn't already clear enough with him spanking every abstract around, including Living Tribunal).

We even a direct comparison with PR beyonder. Thanos had all of the abstracts helpless before him, Death included, who in the end kissed him and f*cked off. Meanwhile, PR had to use most of his power to Kill Death, by puting it in a cup and getting her to drink it

pern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Loki_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Itachi solos

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for khianrobinson123-456
khianrobinson123-456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The hulk can beat thanos.

Infinityball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysticmedivh said:

@balee_dattttt said:

@mysticmedivh said:

That's because the writer of the story, Starlin put in the failsafe that the only way to recreate the universe was to sacrifice yourself. Thanos having to sacrifice himself isn't a knock on himself, because TOAA (Starlin) would have to to have done the same, which Thanos stated himself. HOTU is basicially fan-service, the story was written to make Thanos as powerful as possible, and still make him die a hero (hence the sacrifice). Thanos himself was guided to HOTU by TOAA, he was suppossed to be an Avatar of TOAA. This is why it was retconned by the Marvel Editors. Because we had Thanos become Nigh Omnipotent twice, first with the Cosmic Cube and then with Gauntlet. The HOTU was specificially meant to be immensely more powerful than both of them, which Thanos noted. And considering both of those item give you multiversal power, I think its pretty clear that Thanos was multiversal (If it wasn't already clear enough with him spanking every abstract around, including Living Tribunal).

We even a direct comparison with PR beyonder. Thanos had all of the abstracts helpless before him, Death included, who in the end kissed him and f*cked off. Meanwhile, PR had to use most of his power to Kill Death, by puting it in a cup and getting her to drink it

Yeah... I don't recall the mention of TOAA, the editors being involved in the story, and all of that other mumbojumbo in the story. Could you show some scans?

Until then, everyone I listed beats him.

pern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@loki_d: How would Akabane or Ginji do?

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JohnnyZ256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Q!

thelocust619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By thelocust619

@mysticmedivh:

"He's above LT."

-oh, then perhaps this isnt enough..

"STTGL and DS for sure wouldn't beat him."

-Of course not, they're basically 1 time use universe busting attacks that can be warped in from seperate dimentions (alternate universes), allowing at least 2 free universe-level shots under the protection of Femtos and amps from Ultimecia.

"What feats to Ultimecia and Femtos have?"

-Femtos is from berserk, he manipulates causality. This is a horribly broken power, he basically rules over cause and effect so much that he can literally pick up the slash from a demigod-killing sword and put it elsewhere, like toon force basically...but it's not. It's 100% serious lol. Think of it as TK via heavy time/space manip, and you'll sorta be on the right track.

-Ultimecia is a sorceress capable of converging all of time into one point and then absorbing it, reducing everything to nothing except herself, who I assume is thusly "everything" at that point :p she can manipulate time, possess people through time, and create incredibly powerful life. For instance, in the final battle of FF8 she used what i assume to be some form of TP to find what her target, Squall, imagined to be the most powerful guardian force, then manifested it, made it fight him, then later fused it to herself....all before entering her final form, which could simply wisk you away into time itself wit ease. What power did the heros use to defeat such a hax? Friendship, basically (and destiny...it's complicated). Because of course it was.

Now I'm not saying any one character stands a chance...I'm looking at power set only, and there is quite a bit of versatility here, especially in delivering a preemptive strike. With some coordination, there's not alot I can think of that could stop them on their best day.

"LT actually confronted HoTU Thanos. He was afraid of PR Beyonder, which who you're probably thinking of."

-LT didn't seem afraid in the scans I saw, it seemed he just didn't wanna fight because of the collateral damage it would cause. Thanos basically quit on his own soon after talking to him, IIRC. The dispute was over someone taking it out of context to imply Thanos was above LT because if said scan, but then it was apparently decided he was not. Idk, it's just what I pieced together from an old thread. I wouldn't quote me on this lol but if Thanos is > LT, then he's on a pretty fundemental level I don't think these characters can really touch without massive prep.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bugs Bunny with an eraser

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysticmedivh:

"He's above LT."

-oh, then perhaps this isnt enough..

"STTGL and DS for sure wouldn't beat him."

-Of course not, they're basically 1 time use universe busting attacks that can be warped in from seperate dimentions (alternate universes), allowing at least 2 free universe-level shots under the protection of Femtos and amps from Ultimecia.

"What feats to Ultimecia and Femtos have?"

-Femtos is from berserk, he manipulates causality. This is a horribly broken power, he basically rules over cause and effect so much that he can literally pick up the slash from a demigod-killing sword and put it elsewhere, like toon force basically...but it's not. It's 100% serious lol. Think of it as TK via heavy time/space manip, and you'll sorta be on the right track.

-Ultimecia is a sorceress capable of converging all of time into one point and then absorbing it, reducing everything to nothing except herself, who I assume is thusly "everything" at that point :p she can manipulate time, possess people through time, and create incredibly powerful life. For instance, in the final battle of FF8 she used what i assume to be some form of TP to find what her target, Squall, imagined to be the most powerful guardian force, then manifested it, made it fight him, then later fused it to herself....all before entering her final form, which could simply wisk you away into time itself wit ease. What power did the heros use to defeat such a hax? Friendship, basically (and destiny...it's complicated). Because of course it was.

Now I'm not saying any one character stands a chance...I'm looking at power set only, and there is quite a bit of versatility here, especially in delivering a preemptive strike. With some coordination, there's not alot I can think of that could stop them on their best day.

"LT actually confronted HoTU Thanos. He was afraid of PR Beyonder, which who you're probably thinking of."

-LT didn't seem afraid in the scans I saw, it seemed he just didn't wanna fight because of the collateral damage it would cause. Thanos basically quit on his own soon after talking to him, IIRC. The dispute was over someone taking it out of context to imply Thanos was above LT because if said scan, but then it was apparently decided he was not. Idk, it's just what I pieced together from an old thread. I wouldn't quote me on this lol but if Thanos is > LT, then he's on a pretty fundemental level I don't think these characters can really touch without massive prep.

He absorbed LT and in doing so pretty much defeated him.

thelocust619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By thelocust619

@mysticmedivh: I see...well crud...don't suppose we get prep, huh? Cuz with a few centuries prep they can put on a really good light show at least...

jk, back to the drawing board. Thanks for your corrections

Avatar image for traskindustries
traskindustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By traskindustries
I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Doctor

XioKenji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Kirby , any yandere with enough yandere-force and your typical Waifu/OmnipotentGoddess.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@mysticmedivh said:

@thelocust619 said:

He absorbed LT and in doing so pretty much defeated him.

Oh come on. I'm not sure if you have read the lost chapter, considering it was never released in any volume prints, but they explained femto's powers there. He's (sort of) the avatar of idea of evil.

Idea of evil is that embodies the reason for everything that goes on in the world - the being that controls fate and causality - brought forth from the combined will of human subconscious if we want to dumb it down in two lines. Incredible as the concept is, it is a planet level being. Best feat we have seen in the entire verse is planet level, griffith warping skull knight's slash to merge fantasy/spirit realm with real life.

Neither griffith, nor the idea of evil are beating anyone who can blow up the planet, and the humans on it like nothing.

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

thelocust619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@princearagorn1: I have not read this chapter yet, but I'm probably going to go do that right now lol. However, I didn't stop to consider the limits to Femtos's scale of control, only the power itself...which is still pretty broken :p anyway Ty for clarifying

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3daad020468
deactivated-5b3daad020468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ditto

No Caption Provided

BALEE_DATTTTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@balee_dattttt said:

@mysticmedivh said:

@balee_dattttt said:

@mysticmedivh said:

Yeah... I don't recall the mention of TOAA, the editors being involved in the story, and all of that other mumbojumbo in the story. Could you show some scans?

Until then, everyone I listed beats him.

What's with tone?

And why do I have to be the one who has to provide scans because of your lack of Knowledge.

In anycase

PR Beyonder quite clearly saying to kill Death he has to use alot of his power
PR Beyonder quite clearly saying to kill Death he has to use alot of his power

So there is the direct comparison with the PR Beyonder.

Here we have Thanos killing Living Tribunal who >> Death as well as Eternity and Oblivion who are equal to her. That in itself is a multiversal feat.
Here we have Thanos killing Living Tribunal who >> Death as well as Eternity and Oblivion who are equal to her. That in itself is a multiversal feat.

Because Thanos destroys the universe, by proxy he kills Death, even though he didn't mean too, because without Life there is no death.
Because Thanos destroys the universe, by proxy he kills Death, even though he didn't mean too, because without Life there is no death.

All, in all there is more than enough evidence to say that Thanos> PR Beyonder.

As for Thanos being limited only by the TOAA.

Thanos was chosen by TOAA (Jim Starlin) to destroy and recreate the Universe in order to cure it.
Thanos was chosen by TOAA (Jim Starlin) to destroy and recreate the Universe in order to cure it.
Here we have in Living Tribunals bio, written by Starlin, the mention of the inherent flaw in the Universe.
Here we have in Living Tribunals bio, written by Starlin, the mention of the inherent flaw in the Universe.
"I was a Plot thread in a writer's mind". That is a clear nod to Starlin.

Finally we have Thanos comparing the HOTU to the Cosmic Cube and Infinity Gauntlet and saying he's far powerful than with either.

I was subservient to none.....Supreme
I was subservient to none.....Supreme

Tom Brevoort saying the events of HOTU where not canon actually happened in a conversation between him and @killemall, who all of these scans where originally posted by (Thanks man). Marvel insisted that the story be a What-If, but Starlin, loving Thanos so much, made it cannon, by referencing it in Living Tribunals Handbook entry. So Marvel took the cheap way out, and said that the story happened in another Universe, and while a similiar thing happened in the 616 universe, it may have not happened exactly in the way that Starlin described.

If you look hard enough I'm sure you'll find the entry for it, frankly, I can't be bothered to look for you, and you came across as a bit of a d!ck TBH.

Kingant27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One Above All.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No. Starlin won't let his pet lose.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Obligatorty

Can no longer post youtube vid so have a gif.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Kamen rider Decade

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers