Buffy Summers vs Captain America (Steve)

queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By queenfrost_
No Caption Provided
  • CAP
  • Steve, not Bucky.
  • Has his shield.
  • In his current form (meaning the Cap we see in AvX right now)
  • Willing to kill
No Caption Provided
  • BUFFY
  • Set between Season 7 and the comic book Season 8 (which means she hasn't got the powers given to her to defeat Twilight - which were flight, hyperspeed, hulk-like strength, telescopic vision and invulnerability)
  • Has her scythe (seen in picture)
  • Willing to kill

Fight takes place in abounded factory. The two have been manipulated by a Demon in to fighting to the death.

Avatar image for fanofsuperheroes
fanofsuperheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By fanofsuperheroes

Although a great battle to see, I think Buffy is the more skilled fighter here. Cap's shield and her Scythe cancel each other out. Buffy wins.

BringnIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BringnIt

Probably Steve. Solid matchup.

Genxsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Genxsis

How is this a solid match up? I am extremely lost on this?????

BringnIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BringnIt

How isn't it a solid matchup?

Avatar image for fanofsuperheroes
fanofsuperheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By fanofsuperheroes

Yea, how is this NOT a good solid match up!?

Genxsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Genxsis

@fanofsuperheroes: @BringnIt: It's not for a lot of reason. Half of which are because of threads I've read here and the other have and most importantly are because of the two characters.

I have seen match ups with cap that the world says cap would trash who's skills, exp, and feats (All pre-twilight of course) well exceed buffy's, yet everyone is pretty sure that Buffy would win this. If I remember right, there was a season where buffy was shot and put down. She later healed, yes I am aware, however, I don't recall this person unloading on her. It was between 1-3 shots and she was down, KO style. This was Season 6. Relevance is that it's very close to when this fight takes place and 1 bullet to the chest had Buffy sleeping. I find it a bit hard to believe that her durability is that much better all of a sudden. And cap has fought a number of people that can just tank bullets and defeated them. (Hulk being in this group.) So, I'm not understanding.

Next, buffy is a skilled combatant, but she's not great and there is no two ways around that. Her TV showing where good at best. I never saw her once fight, hang with and defeat someone on the h2h level of Cap, DD, Elektra, Logan, Blade or any of the Marvel Street levelers that Cap has thrown hands with and defeated. It's just never happened. So, this is an h2h stomp fest on for Cap.

Weapon in hand, how long has she been using that weapon? Vs Caps decades of service with shield in hand. I see a fantastic actually skill advantage in caps favor on every single front.

Basically, I'm saying this is not a good match up. What are buffy's showings that she is on par with Cap. I know about her strength in slayer mode which is supposed to be superhuman. But Marvel Vamps are supposed to lift base 25 tons. Is that where her strength level is? If so, ok. But Cap has beaten marvel vamps. He's beat people stronger, faster, more experienced. So, If this is a good match up, there are some threads here on Vine that must be hella bias, because I've seen people vote cap on match ups that are nearly the same in this. People better.

Regardless, I'm not closed minded. So, I would be very open to any video links or scans that show Buffy is on the level as Cap. Otherwise, I honestly see this as a stomp.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By frozen  Moderator

Steve. Couple his Shield with his fighting ability as well as feats, he'll take the majority.

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By 80sBaby

Cap. Buffy is to Cap as WW is to Superman.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

Nooooo!!!! Not another Buffy versus <X> street leveler thread!!!!

(Let's see if this one can avoid the flame war and inevitable lock down).

Captain America wins rather succinctly in my opinion.

TERMINATORXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TERMINATORXX

What is up with all these Buffy threads as of late? * Weird * that buffy has gotten so popular latley.

Anyways back on topic, Captain America wins. More fast, agile, skilled, far faster, stronger, dealt with bigger problems than Buffy and Vampires.

Captain America 9/10

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Cap takes this 8/10 times better h2h combatant and is a way better tactician while in the middle of a fight, and he is better with his shield than Buffy is with her scythe

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jeanroygrant

CA.

TheOneWhoKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

(Uggg) I usually HATE to bump such an old thread, but in this case I must make an exception. I am a HUGE Captain America fan, and because I have seen him take down MANY opponents seemingly above his pay grade, I won't say it would be a SLAUGHTER---but more often than not, Buffy beats Cap. @genxsis, @terminatorxx, etc., let me explain why. Captain America, through the enhancement of the super soldier serum, is as strong, fast, agile, etc. as a HUMAN can be, one SLIGHT, but CLEAR rung below SUPER-HUMAN. Buffy, however, is in fact SUPERHUMAN! She tops Cap in DURABILITY (on more than one occasion, she has fallen SEVERAL stories, with ANOTHER PERSON on top of her, and hit so hard the pavement cracked-yet her body is so dense, she popped RIGHT BACK UP, and the other person was completely UNHARMED because here body was durable enough to absorb the impact. If STEVE fell at that height-much less with another person on TOP of him-he would SPLATTER. Buffy also has greater COMBAT speed, able to fight and evade blows from creatures such as vampires (who are MANY times faster than humans), often taking on MULTIPLE such opponents at the same time. Buffy is stronger, effortlessly bending steel bars, lifting a God's hammer so heavy that even the super strong Spike the vampire couldn't lift, among other feats. And as for experience, Cap has a great deal, it is true, ranging from WWII battle fields to today; but Buffy retains the memories, skills and battle prowess of every Slayer dating back to the dawn of man-a QUITE more extensive period than Cap. So, because of these reasons-and again, because of his skill, I wouldn't be OUTRAGED if Cap was displayed getting a win-but there's NO WAY he would win as overwhelmingly as some here claim! Cap is GREAT-but more often then not, Buffy wins.

Percy_Scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Percy_Scott

@theonewhoknows:

I am a fan of the series Buffy the Vampire Slayer and of Captain America, who is one of my two favorite Marvel characters, and I have to disagree with you in almost everything you said.

1. Steve has performed feats comparative to bending steel bars effortlessly.

2. Buffy's lifting of Olaf's troll hammer (Season 5, 'Triangle,' 'The Gift') was not a feat of strength. There are no showings to support the belief that Buffy is so much stronger than Spike that she can effortlessly lift something that he cannot lift. There is evidence, however, to suggest that Spike's inability to lift the hammer is entirely based on a magical enchantment, much like that on Mjolnir.

To separate Olaf from his hammer ('Triangle'), Willow cast an unspecified spell which caused it to be surrounded by a green aura, then rocket out of his hands and away from him. This was not telekinesis as witches in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer universe can use telekinesis without the aid of a spell and, further, telekinesis has no visible energy to it (as seen when Willow attacks Glory with a bag full of throwing knives, and with Bethany Chalk in the Angel episode 'Untouched.')

So, what else might it have been? It might have been a spell that kept non-humans from lifting the hammer or placing some sort of 'worthiness' enchantment, both of which could explain Spike's inability to lift it. This is supported by the lack of evidence available to show Buffy has more than double Spike's strength. It is also supported by the fact that the hammer was later found to be resting on a wooden bookshelf later in the season ('The Gift.') It could not weigh so much that Spike could not lift it if it was not too heavy to be supported by an ordinary bookshelf, no matter how sturdy.

3. Steve has taken the sort of falls you're referring to without being killed, as have many peak human characters.

4. You're saying that Buffy's status as superhuman in her world automatically outclasses Steve's classification as a peak human in his own world. This doesn't work because the two worlds have different defining factors. By the standards of the real world, in comparison to any actual living person, Steve is as superhuman as Buffy. But he is still within the realm of ultimate human potential in his own. Superhuman is a classification, not a measurement. Feats should be used to prove strength differentials, not classifications alone.

5. I don't read the comics (mainly because I think they stink), but in the terms of the series, Buffy has never displayed the use of the experience of past Slayers. She has only dreamt of their lives. She obviously doesn't have their memories all the time because it would either live her as a schizophrenic (reference the Angel episode 'Damage') or her head would explode due to the finite space on the human hard drive.

Even if she could tap into their memories at will, which I've seen no evidence of, having their memories does not mean that she can or will automatically act with their skill and experience. Just because I can recall what Bruce did to save himself in Gotham Knights #27 that doesn't mean that I can or will do the same thing should that ever happen to me. Even if I've seen every Bruce Lee film, that does not make me Bruce Lee.

Further, if she is able to draw on these skills to aid her in battle, why did she not do so when Spike nearly killed her and she had to be saved by her mother ('School Hard')? How about when she was being choked to death by a random demon ('The Wish')? Then there's the time she was stabbed by an average vampire with her own stake (I can't recall the episode off the top of my head, sorry.)

Ultimately, I have to say that I back Steve in this fight. He is at least equal, if not superior, to her physical attributes. He has at least equal, if not superior, combat experience. He is, without question, smarter than she is. He is the tactical mind behind the Avengers. Buffy's tactics against smart, powerful opponents have always come from those around her (primarily Giles, Willow, and Xander.) When you add everything up, being equal to or superior (and I believe superior) to her on all fronts and being smarter, he should obviously pull out a win, even if it isn't as easy as some people make it sound.

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By killraven4334

Buffy was shot and nearly killed by a nerd with no weapons training. Cap wins this handily.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@theonewhoknows:

I am a fan of the series Buffy the Vampire Slayer and of Captain America, who is one of my two favorite Marvel characters, and I have to disagree with you in almost everything you said.

1. Steve has performed feats comparative to bending steel bars effortlessly.

Buffy is still way stronger than peak human.

2. Buffy's lifting of Olaf's troll hammer (Season 5, 'Triangle,' 'The Gift') was not a feat of strength. There are no showings to support the belief that Buffy is so much stronger than Spike that she can effortlessly lift something that he cannot lift. There is evidence, however, to suggest that Spike's inability to lift the hammer is entirely based on a magical enchantment, much like that on Mjolnir.

To separate Olaf from his hammer ('Triangle'), Willow cast an unspecified spell which caused it to be surrounded by a green aura, then rocket out of his hands and away from him. This was not telekinesis as witches in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer universe can use telekinesis without the aid of a spell and, further, telekinesis has no visible energy to it (as seen when Willow attacks Glory with a bag full of throwing knives, and with Bethany Chalk in the Angel episode 'Untouched.')

So, what else might it have been? It might have been a spell that kept non-humans from lifting the hammer or placing some sort of 'worthiness' enchantment, both of which could explain Spike's inability to lift it. This is supported by the lack of evidence available to show Buffy has more than double Spike's strength. It is also supported by the fact that the hammer was later found to be resting on a wooden bookshelf later in the season ('The Gift.') It could not weigh so much that Spike could not lift it if it was not too heavy to be supported by an ordinary bookshelf, no matter how sturdy.

This is just a bunch of speculations. The hammer is not Mjolnnir... And also, buffy has out muscled spike on more than one occasion when they brawled.

3. Steve has taken the sort of falls you're referring to without being killed, as have many peak human characters.

Buffy took them with no dmg showing.

4. You're saying that Buffy's status as superhuman in her world automatically outclasses Steve's classification as a peak human in his own world. This doesn't work because the two worlds have different defining factors. By the standards of the real world, in comparison to any actual living person, Steve is as superhuman as Buffy. But he is still within the realm of ultimate human potential in his own. Superhuman is a classification, not a measurement. Feats should be used to prove strength differentials, not classifications alone.

As feats. Faith which has used a 200 pound barbell as a one handed weapon and try to remember the Real Life episode, when buffy got a job, she is hella strong.

5. I don't read the comics (mainly because I think they stink), but in the terms of the

series, Buffy has never displayed the use of the experience of past Slayers. She has only dreamt of their lives. She obviously doesn't have their memories all the time because it would either live her as a schizophrenic (reference the Angel episode 'Damage') or her head would explode due to the finite space on the human hard drive.

Even if she could tap into their memories at will, which I've seen no evidence of, having their memories does not mean that she can or will automatically act with their skill and experience. Just because I can recall what Bruce did to save himself in Gotham Knights #27 that doesn't mean that I can or will do the same thing should that ever happen to me. Even if I've seen every Bruce Lee film, that does not make me Bruce Lee.

Further, if she is able to draw on these skills to aid her in battle, why did she not do so when Spike nearly killed her and she had to be saved by her mother ('School Hard')? How about when she was being choked to death by a random demon ('The Wish')? Then there's the time she was stabbed by an average vampire with her own stake (I can't recall the episode off the top of my head, sorry.)

All slayers and potentials have natural talent for fighting. Even under amnesia spell Buffy was still able to defeat multiple vampires, and since you avoid reading comics you are limiting your source info but that doesnt matter that much.

Ultimately, I have to say that I back Steve in this fight. He is at least equal, if not superior, to her physical attributes. He has at least equal, if not superior, combat experience. He is, without question, smarter than she is. He is the tactical mind behind the Avengers. Buffy's tactics against smart, powerful opponents have always come from those around her (primarily Giles, Willow, and Xander.) When you add everything up, being equal to or superior (and I believe superior) to her on all fronts and being smarter, he should obviously pull out a win, even if it isn't as easy as some people make it sound.

I Also think that Cap would probably win, but mainly due to the fact that he is smarter. Nothing else. He is not stronger, faster or more agile than she is.

Jimmy_Rustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@80sbaby said:

Cap. Buffy is to Cap as WW is to Superman.

TheOneWhoKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheOneWhoKnows

@percy_scott: There is no gentle way to state it, so I'll just say it out right---so much of what you posted is SO incorrect, I hardly know where to begin. @chimeroid did a lot of the heavy lifting already (thanks, man) so I don't have to expend too much energy and time, but MAN---you are so WAY of base, it's incredible. Even trying to use her low end feats to lowball her (as if EVERY hero hasn't suffered-more than once-at the hands of poor, illogical writing) denotes a potential lack of critical thinking. When something that shouldn't happen (like the things you mentioned concerning Buffy, her mother and Spike, "The Wish" incident, etc.) is depicted, you should recognize PIS when you see it. Or do you think, for instance, that the times Batman has been shown punching Wonder Woman and making her SCREAM in pain (ridiculous) or kicking and punching the Hulk and making him not just yell, but WHINE in pain (OUTRAGEOUS) or in the "Hush" storyline, punching Superman with enough force to turn his head (UTTERLY impossible, Supes would actually NOT budge, and Wayne would have broken every bone in his hand) and kicking the Spectre with enough force to make him MOAN in pain (WHAAA---!?!??) are legit simply because those incidents were shown? PIS is a constant issue in pop culture, and one must be able to discern it.

And as for your Gotham Knights/Bruce Lee example to try to dismiss Buffy's ability to retain past Slayer's skills---GOOD GOD, MAN! This is the WORSE part of your post, yet you seem to proudly display it as if you made some GRAND POINT! Of course YOU can't duplicate the fighting skills of someone you watched and/or remember---BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT A SLAYER!!!! BUFFY can, because this is part of a Slayer's ability! Do you TRULY not get that??? Am I being PRANKED here????? If I'm coming off as overly harsh, I apologize---but REALLY? COME ON, man!

The only last things I will add is, if you actually, TRULY believe that the Troll God's hammer had some sort of enchantment on it (it ABSOLUTELY did not; someone has been spending one too many nights reading Thor comics, it seems) or, if you don't know that Slayers are BORN with innate fighting skill AND that they share the lives of past Slayers, which gives them such a level of fighting skill that they RIGHT OF THE BAT are able to take on even the most horrific adversaries, or if you REALLY think that the durability of Cap (who, as I said before am a BIG fan of, and who I would have no problem with him getting wins because of his fantastic abilities) is on par with Buffy---then you REALLY need to do some research before you comment again. Cap has beaten MANY opponents seemingly above his pay grade, so him beating Buffy is CERTAINLY a possibility. But (especially in a first, random encounter), because of her greater speed, strength, durability and combat skill, the more LIKELY victor is Buffy.