• 55 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Hey there, reader, and thanks for checking out the latest edition of Best Battles in New Comics! If the title doesn't make it clear enough, this is the spot where we celebrate some of the most entertaining action scenes that went down in the latest round of new comics. There was a ridiculous amount of fighting going on this week, so it made narrowing down the options incredibly difficult. From all of the craziness in the various Futures End tie-ins to Marvel characters like Quicksilver and Punisher getting into brawls, there was a huge variety of battles for our eyes to enjoy this week. If your top choice isn't highlighted below, go ahead and share it in the comments section.

No Caption Provided

HAWKEYE VS. DEADPOOL #0

Gerry Duggan writing DeadpoolandHawkeye? Yes, please! The first issue came out this week and it had a good amount of enjoyable and lighthearted action. We won't spoil the plot details, but there's a large fellow dressed as the Punisher -- a character Wade Wilson calls "Big Pun" -- and he's a stubborn and strong dude who isn't afraid to fight dirty. But Deadpool and Hawkeye aren't exactly known for keeping it clean, either. Prepare for a page full of teeth and car door ownage!

Who needs arrows when you have access to a mighty van door?
Who needs arrows when you have access to a mighty van door?

What's that blue panel at the bottom, you ask? Well, this is the part where we remind you to buy the issue if you want all of the details. You'll only get glimpses of the issues in here, people. Anyway, even though they smashed this dude with a door and then hit him with another attack, he's still kicking and showing no signs of giving up. Clint, however, didn't seem to get the memo and tells this character to give up instead of, you know, pummeling him some more. This gives "Big Pun" and opening and boy-oh-boy does he go for it. If you're not reading Fraction and Aja'sHAWKEYE (to each their own, but shame on you!), you should know that Clint was recently shot and now has hearing issues. So, that should help you understand what's going on in two of the following panels. You're welcome.

Wade's strike = punch of the week. Awesome display of motion and impact.
Wade's strike = punch of the week. Awesome display of motion and impact.

We know what some of you are probably thinking at this point. "Hold on, I'm going to pay $4.99 for an issue called "Hawkeye vs. Deadpool" and the two didn't even fight? Blasphemy!" Okay, maybe you won't say "blasphemy" but when you have a title and a cover promising a conflict between the two, it's understandable to expect that. Well, Duggan mostly uses this first chapter to show us what the dynamic between the two is like while also establishing the plot. That said, don't worry because we do see a fight between the two... or at least the funny start of it! It's no epic shootout between the two, but it has us anxious to see how it'll unfold.

Behold! Hawkeye vs. Deadpool! Sort of.
Behold! Hawkeye vs. Deadpool! Sort of.

Sure, Duggan's establishing a mystery in this issue, but shouldn't an uncomfortable team-up between Hawkeye and Deadpool be more than enough to sell you on this? What's particularly cool is Duggan brings elements from both of their ongoings into this one, too. Like action and comedy? Odds are you'll end up liking this, so have at it.

INJUSTICE: YEAR TWO #22

Odds are you've heard that INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US takes place in a violent and dark alternate universe where Superman has become a tyrant. The powerful kryptonian thinks he's doing it for the greater good, but he's become more and more twisted and bloodthirsty along the way. Well, Batman and his allies are fed up with it and they're making a final push to bring the big dude down. They've aligned themselves with the Green Lantern Corps, but Superman isn't exactly alone, either. The Man of Steel has the Sinestro Corps on his side (he's completely lost if he doesn't realize how messed up that is) and a massive battle has erupted. Batman and his friends have a plan in place to incapacitate Superman, but we're talking about taking down one of Earth's most powerful "heroes." It's no easy feat. Luckily for Batman's forces, they've gotten their hands on the "superpill" formula -- a pill which grants people impressive superhuman attributes -- and they have a kryptonite bullet to even the odds even more. Seeing as Superman viciously beat Green Arrow to death (using spoilers for the slackers), Black Canary wants to be the one to take Superman out of the fight. He tries to reason with her and even gets angry when she insults him, but that makes him sloppy and gives her the chance to shoot him in the chest at point blank range. Okay, that was a lot of recap, so we'll reward you with a look at Black Canary getting some well-earned revenge.

Super-jerk gets a super-kick to his super-mean face.
Super-jerk gets a super-kick to his super-mean face.

As Black Canary points out why Superman's turned into such an arrogant fool, Ganthet gives us a firm reminder why you shouldn't mess with the Green Lantern Corps. The battle above Earth was a back and forth struggle when Superman was in it, but now that he's grounded, Ganthet has no one standing in his way and totally lets loose. It's a brutal sight and a pretty terrible time to be a member of the Sinestro Corps.

Sinestro: I have an army! Batman: We have a Ganthet.
Sinestro: I have an army! Batman: We have a Ganthet.

Writer Tom Taylor should have called this chapter "Ganthet Unleashed" because he really shows off just how formidable the blue Guardian can be. And wiping out space fodder isn't the extent of his showing, either. Clark Kent has the powerful Billy Batson on his side, but not even that character stands a chance against the alien.

Shazam, meet kooom!
Shazam, meet kooom!

Look, even if you're confident about the outcome between Black Canary and Superman, we can pretty much guarantee you have no idea how it'll happen. This series has hit us with so many shockers that it has become increasingly difficult for it to really drop our jaws, but this ending is definitely something that'll make you want to purchase the next chapter.

DEATH OF WOLVERINE #1

Wolverine has lost his healing factor and this bit of news has reached the ears of some very, very nasty and evil people. Hoping to fix the situation before someone sticks a knife in his back, Wolverine sought out Reed Richards for help. While the leader of the Fantastic Four thinks he can help, he also says he'll need a proper amount of time to give Logan back his healing factor. Because of this, Reed tells Wolverine to stay safe and out of harm's way, but Wolverine's never been very good at that, has he? Instead of always looking over his shoulder wherever he goes, Wolverine sets up shop on an island and tells his enemies come to him. Frank Simpson, a.k.a. Nuke, answers the call and sets his sights on the X-Man. It may look like the patriotic guy put on a few pounds, but he still has those cybernetic enhancements under his skin and he's certainly no joke.

Fun fact: Nuke is a shot put champion.
Fun fact: Nuke is a shot put champion.

James Howlett still has his strength and speed, but without his accelerated healing factor, being violently tossed into a rock is going to take a toll on the poor guy. Nuke's surprised to see Logan staying down for so long and even thinks the hero may be faking it. The villain then makes one big mistake: he gets close to Wolverine and his guard isn't up. Nuke's a durable dude, but having adamantium smashed against you is something not many street level characters can withstand.

A good ol' adamantium headbutt never fails.
A good ol' adamantium headbutt never fails.

Artist Steve McNiven, inker Jay Leisten, and colorist Justin Ponsor do such a commendable job with the character work in writer Charles Soule's first chapter. They craft panels of Wolverine that pull your empathy but don't necessary make him feel fragile, either. He's in this terrible situation and we can feel his pain, but the ruggedness remains and he still looks like a character who could take on an army all by himself. The art team does an especially impressive job handling the damage Wolverine does to Nuke's face. Those two headbutts? Yeah, Logan's just getting started and it's... well, it's savage stuff.

Doing that to the US flag isn't cool, Logan.
Doing that to the US flag isn't cool, Logan.

It's unfortunate we know this ride will conclude with Wolverine dead -- or so it seems -- but this story is off to a very strong start and the cliffhanger most definitely has our attention. Now that Wolverine knows who put a price on his head, how will he react and who else will he encounter? Only time will tell and you can bet we're going to stick around to see how this all plays out.

No Caption Provided

What are your top three fights from this latest round of new comics? Support what you love and tell the world below! Also, don't forget to make nominations every week in the official thread or tell us via Twitter. See you next Friday and have a good weekend!

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

#1  Edited By Teerack

This week was full of a lot of great fights. I would have put Black Widow vs Hawkeye up there.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

meh

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I didn't read Injustice but just from the description I think that is how powerful the guardians should be. They should be above hero level.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Wasn't Nuke, you know... nuked in Captain America comics?

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked how easily Ganthet shut Shazam up.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm seeing that headbutt by Wolverine reminds me of when I first watched Ninja Scroll.

sync1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sync1

BC's a badass

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Oh man! That Steve McNiven art is a feast for my eyes.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

The fight in Death of Wolverine was amazing!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

That Wolverine vs Nuke brawl looks brutal.

F_Trunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow Wolverine!!! Why they will kill you???

huthimamwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ummm isn't Nuke dead?

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ganthet. Eldest of the Guardians. Like a BAUS!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd:

It is wierd how he is fightining him since Shazam and The Flash was working with Superman because of fear.

ClawFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

That Death of Wolverine fight was BEASTING!

Armaghetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Armaghetto

How is Wolverine functioning without his healing factor and adamantium still fused to him??

Avatar image for unkillable_deadpool1
Unkillable_Deadpool1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HEY , NUKE DIED IN THE CURRENT SERIES OF CAPTAIN AMERICA ... SO can someone please explain to me how he's alive and well now ??

Doombert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dont know about the timing of Death of Wolverine series due to the appearence of Nuke...still it's nice to have writer show how dangerous Wolverine can be without having to rely on the healing factor, and in this case, the claws. Those headbutts were brutal.

@armaghetto They explain in the begining that his strength and speed are still important, so he can still function with the weight of the skeleton, but they also point out that he is going to start having some serious health concerns due to the bones (they didnt mention the adamantium poisioning but they did mention radiation from Nagasaki that I thought was cool)

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ganthet is kickin' some tookus.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Honestly if we ignore Remmenders captain America run for the rest of eternity I would be oksy with that.

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JJ_Was_Here
No Caption Provided

dorukesin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Ganthet is the best

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nuke was way more powerful in Captain America a few issues back...

GrimoireMyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has Nuke ever not be a punching bag?

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

That was some awesome headbutting. . . not as great as Invincible vs Conquest headbutting, but good nonetheless.

Avatar image for ancient_0f_days
Ancient_0f_Days

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine is a horrible kisser.

DedrabbiT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't even with Injustice.

WorldEater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nuke underestimated the wrong guy.

Armaghetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doombert: Thanks! I haven't read the issue yet, but was wondering this reading the annual

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@jwalser3 said:

Has Nuke ever not be a punching bag?

He did very well against Daredevil and Captain America.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By tensor

Injustice.I love the ending.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is that wolverine not being someones punching bag?!?!?

Ummm isn't Nuke dead?

Yea I thought so to. Guess not LOL

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly if we ignore Remmenders captain America run for the rest of eternity I would be oksy with that.

You not a fan?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453
deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At first I was really confused by the appearance of Nuke but then I thought about it and it actually makes sense considering the time line we have been given between Uncanny Avengers and Captain Amaerica. In Uncanny Steve mentions to Wasp that he just got back from Dimension Z and Wolverine is still alive and has his healing factor. So that means the entire first arc of Uncanny happens before the Nuke's rampage. So logically because Wolverine has to die before Axis and Steve has to lose his Super Soldier serum before Axis. It's very possible that The Iron Nail/Weapon Minus stuff takes place after the Death of Wolverine. Marvels continuity is weird. Soule should have saved us all the headache and picked a character other than Nuke for this bit part.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453
deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One good thing I can say about DC, despite all the confusion caused by so many line wide reboots, on the surface their continuity is much easier to follow than marvels. The Marvels sliding time scale makes it seem like earth gets invade every other week, and then there's stuff like this where stories are seemingly published out of order with Nuke appearing alive and well several months after we watched him explode in Captain America. With DC things actually happen in the order that they're published. > rant over.

(Disclaimer: those previous comments are based on my observations of a post Marvel Now/New 52 comic book industry if it was different before than I wouldn't know)

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

Is that wolverine not being someones punching bag?!?!?

can't see clearly. But that can't be him, obviously.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

RolandAlderas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 44

Nice. I might read the Wolverine one. Never been into him but without his healing factor I feel I can relate to him a bit more

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Injustice fight is incredible.

huthimamwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mangakid1995: I can roll with that theory. What I cannot figure out for the life of me is where the f*ck the current Capt. America arc takes place in relation to Original Sin. Thor still has Mjolnir (so it MUST be before Original Sin). But wait, Cap doesn't have the sss (so it MUST take place after Original sin).....ughh.....

KouNurasaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Injustice is just awesome. Ganthet owned everybody, and yes, Superman vs. Canary is waaaaaaaaaaay overtop in about 1000 ways.

I'm not reading Wolverine right now, but that fight looks vicious, and that art looks even sharper. Cause, you know, Adamantium claws! :D

I will leave now.

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

@k4tzm4n "Doing that to the US flag isn't cool, Logan"

I salute, you, sir.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

At first I was really confused by the appearance of Nuke but then I thought about it and it actually makes sense considering the time line we have been given between Uncanny Avengers and Captain Amaerica. In Uncanny Steve mentions to Wasp that he just got back from Dimension Z and Wolverine is still alive and has his healing factor. So that means the entire first arc of Uncanny happens before the Nuke's rampage. So logically because Wolverine has to die before Axis and Steve has to lose his Super Soldier serum before Axis. It's very possible that The Iron Nail/Weapon Minus stuff takes place after the Death of Wolverine. Marvels continuity is weird. Soule should have saved us all the headache and picked a character other than Nuke for this bit part.

It feels like everyone is ignoring Remender's Cap. Original Sin had Thor lose the hammer, and yet he was in last month's Cap (with aged Steve).

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was some awesome headbutting. . . not as great as Invincible vs Conquest headbutting, but good nonetheless.

My thoughts exactly

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By slimj87d

@wolverine08 What's up with the Nuke here? He's supposed to be dead. He's also fat and really out of shape. Marvel and their timelines, blah.