• 52 results
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

It's that time of the week. Time to look at the latest edition of Best Battles in New Comics. Comics often feature big battles with superheroes fighting supervillains. Sometimes we even have superheroes fighting other superheroes. Get ready to cheer and possibly cringe at the brutal punches being thrown.

There will be some spoilers below! And violence. And some profanity.

No Caption Provided

DEATHSTROKE #7

(By Tony S. Daniel, James Bonny, Sandu Florea, and Tomeu Morey)

What's going on with Deathstroke these days? He's been hired for a job. To kill an actual god. Obviously Slade would be up for that. But how exactly could he even get started? Thanks to Hephaestus, the weapons forger for the Olympians, he has a God-Killer Sword. He immediately puts it to use.

No Caption Provided

Once Slade actually begins his mission, of course he won't be able to confront his main target right away. There will be some other targets to deal with first. That means more chances for him to use the sword and more chances for us to see it in action.

No Caption Provided

You can imagine that slicing and dicing like this would take a lot of strength. Just hefting a sword like that size that keeps changing could result in some sore. Slade has big muscles but come on, right?

This obviously isn't a regular sword. It's actually helping him and doing some of the work. But is that a good thing?

No Caption Provided

Some might say Slade is a bit of a control freak. He's great at what he does and knows how things should be done. Having a weapon that tries taking away those decisions could be difficult.

Needless to say, Slade does make some of his own decisions on his attacks and that opens a new door of trouble. We won't get into that now. You'll have to check out the issue. He might really have his hands full next issue.

LEGACY OF LUTHER STRODE #2

(By Justin Jordan, Tradd Moore, and Felipe Sobreiro)

You know what it means when there's a new Luther Strode issue--some big time crazy and over the top action.

Luther and Petra travel to Russian to find the Gardener. They find him and even though Luther makes it clear he doesn't want to fight, the Gardener doesn't listen. He also just speaks Russian so there might be a language barrier.

No Caption Provided

Even though Luther is sent flying through a bunch of trees, that doesn't take him out of the fight. He decides to grab one of those trees and smash the Gardener with it.

No Caption Provided

The fight continues for several pages. Even during the fight, Petra is firing away at the Gardener. It almost looks like nothing will stop him.

This is Luther Strode we're talking about.

No Caption Provided

Punching out someone's heart should do the trick, right? Guess what? He's still moving! Do yourself a favor and pick up the full issue.

UNCANNY AVENGERS #5

(By Rick Remender and Daniel Acuña)

That darn High Evolutionary. He's been causing the Avengers nothing but trouble since this volume has started. We come in with the fight already underway, continuing from last issue. Rogue has been put through a bit and there's also the fact that Simon Williams is no longer around. She starts to take out her anger on him.

No Caption Provided

It doesn't quite go as she expected. Luckily, Scarlet Witch is around to assist. High Evolutionary shrugs off her attack along with the oncoming Quicksilver.

As he goes on about being disappointed and finished with them, Doctor Voodoo attacks with the High Evolutionary's deceased victims.

No Caption Provided

This caused a distraction for him and for Scarlet Witch as well. She's in trouble now but she is on a team and teammates watch each other's backs.

No Caption Provided

High Evolutionary has several tricks up his sleeves and does manage to get a way with a couple members he's interested in experimenting on. Now it's Quicksilver's turn to give him all he has.

No Caption Provided

There's just so much going on in this issue. The fight has so many layers. You can see in that last panel that High Evolutionary's helmet is getting a bit busted. What's underneath? You know what I'm going to say. You need to buy the issue. This fight is just a small part of the entire issue.

What did you think of these battles? Are you guys digging the polls?

(Note: if you get a "session expired" notice, refresh the page).

No Caption Provided

(Thanks to dondave and Impervious for their input.)

What are your top three fights from this latest round of new comics? Support what you love and tell the world below. Also, don't forget to make nominations every week in this thread, especially if you feel we missed a great battle. You can even make suggestions via Twitter and use the hashtag #CVBattles.

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Impervious

Luther Strode's been using Kano too much in Mortal Kombat because he just "pulled off" one of his fatalities.

I'll let myself out now.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Deathstroke any day of the week.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

So is that sword Deathstroke has magic or technology? And is that part of his standard gear?

XLRate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@teerack: It was crafted by a God, so I'm pretty sure it's magic and NOT standard gear.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@teerack said:

So is that sword Deathstroke has magic or technology? And is that part of his standard gear?

Magic, about as much as Diana's weapon-spewing bracelets

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@xlrate said:

@teerack: It was crafted by a God, so I'm pretty sure it's magic and NOT standard gear.

I meant standard gear as in is it something he just typically carries with him now?

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Uh Oh, I foresee fans trying to sneak in DS new God Sword in tourneys as standard gear...

CalvinRod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow Deathstroke for sure. God Killer Sword !!!

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@calvinr said:

Wow Deathstroke for sure. God Killer Sword !!!

totoroshaped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Read Deathstroke #1-7 yesterday and thought it was pretty cool. At least #1-6 were. But starting with #7 I thought "What the frack did I read...?!" ... The story was just strange imo. Well, let's not judge too quickly.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Read Deathstroke #1-7 yesterday and thought it was pretty cool. At least #1-6 were. But starting with #7 I thought "What the frack did I read...?!" ... The story was just strange imo. Well, let's not judge too quickly.

It feels like he wants to get SM/WW fans to read his book because he's inserting them into this story and having them fight with him at the end of this arc. Why SM/WW fans? The dude is beloved by them, fans come up to him all the time wearing shirts with his design on them and phones cases too, He just recently also released a pic on Instigram to get us them all riled up

Was gonna be in the SM/WW book, but cut out cus it was too hot to handle.
Was gonna be in the SM/WW book, but cut out cus it was too hot to handle.

This story might be weird, but sometime weird can be cool

Snipergallo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: he just got it this issue, as part of his contract to finish the job

Ruvik_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Ruvik_

Luther strode any day of the week.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really like the Uncanny Avengers picks this week, I did want to start that series but I'm not sure its worth starting now as it will end when All New All Different begins

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

Damn Strode is getting better and better, love it

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slade is beast

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Slade and Strode are just freaking insane this week...I love it!

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Deathstroke has taken on the JLA and Teen Titans. Hell, why not take on Gods? He has come a long way.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Luther strode

@lukehero said:

Uh Oh, I foresee fans trying to sneak in DS new God Sword in tourneys as standard gear...

Drown them in walls of text

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And people laughed at me when i said Deathstroke would stomp thor

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dat Deathstroke art.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss Luthor Strode. Epic.

Dudelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dudelicious

OPTIMUS PRIME VS PROWL FOR PETES SAKE! Do you people read anything beside Marvel and DC?

OrdinaryAlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gorr Slade the god butcher.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have to admit, that Slade battle is great.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite this week, Punisher #19. Frank being Frank taking out a group of terrorists at the end of the world.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 the_stegman  Moderator

Deathstroke is a BEAST. And soon he'll be fighting Wonder Woman. Can't wait to see that.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28 owie  Moderator

It was a little hard to believe Quicksilver beat High Evolutionary's mask off, given that he'd been taking far greater punishment just a little earlier. But, a good fight. Vision's hand-in-the-head was a cheer moment!

Avatar image for oldschoolavangers
OldSchoolAvangers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncanny Avangers wins this week in my opinion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

between deathstroke and strode for me

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudelicious: lol wut? What do you call Luther Strode? Not Marvel or DC.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deathstroke's fight looked like something out of God of War.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deathstroke is a BEAST. And soon he'll be fighting Wonder Woman. Can't wait to see that.

He tried to fight Power Girl and that didn't ended pretty. Don't see what he's going to do to the God of War.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 the_stegman  Moderator

@the_stegman said:

He tried to fight Power Girl and that didn't ended pretty. Don't see what he's going to do to the God of War.

Well, he has a god killing sword now.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somayareece said:
@the_stegman said:

Well, he has a god killing sword now.

Hopefully he can beat Grail and save the JL the trouble lol.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

What is Luther Strode and how do I get it?!

Avatar image for myfavoriteviltrumite23
MyFavoriteViltrumite23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000: Awesomeness and near your local comic shop or app store

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

OPTIMUS PRIME VS PROWL FOR PETES SAKE! Do you people read anything beside Marvel and DC?

Didn't see Luther Strode there? The guy is from Image Comics, bud.

MaxSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did I miss something here, when/ what issue did Deathstroke get that sword???

Dudelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Dudelicious

@life_without_progress: @myfavoriteviltrumite23:

Yeah, I saw him, and good as that fight was there are tons of other greater titles out there from smaller publishers than the top three within the industry. Don't get me wrong, I love Image and I'm always happy to see any Image entry on this list, and I can be content with Deathstroke (I've seen so much worse from DC in this list), but the Uncanny Avengers was nothing but wasted potential which might have looked visually stunning had it been published around 1983. That said, the fight was still pretty tame by all accounts, poorly executed, lethargic, uninspired and honestly, slightly embarrassing for everybody involved. Where's the bloody cool? Where's the epicness? The scale? The brain? Where's the God damn eye candy? Optimus VS Prowl on the other hand was brutal, had great action panels with amazing art, and not to say the least, was something important and significant for anybody calling themselves transformers fans. THIS is character development (something DC/Marvel will never have with multiple writers swinging their dicks at the heroes while stepping all over each others shoes to give us their subjective version, cancelling and retconning each others writing to the point that the word consistency is surely tabu to even utter at either publishing house).

But now back to my other annoyance; the over-exposure of the two biggest publishing houses, cluttering up every other list. And WHY? I can't for the life of me figure out how people can find any thrills from the tired, repetitive PG-13 corpse dance of Marvel/DC with its crack-like addiction to the status quo, which makes everything that ever happens pointless in the end since nobody can ever die for real, to hell with suspense! 70 years of trolling, asspulls, retcons and shitty fights, while titles like Uber, Invincible, Transformers, TMNT etc. are rarely even mentioned. As if any super hero hoedown from Marvel or DC can hold a freaking candle to the epic brawls of Invincible, or the merciless gorefest slaughter of Uber (freaking read Uber).

Comic Fans don't need Marvel/DC wank (I am thankful to mostly Marvel for getting me into comics, but I won't parade the octogenarian around the block and call him the heavy-weight champion 2015 for pushing over a crippled third grader with so many good fights out there in our medium) and our community as a whole certainly doesn't need more focus on the only two publishers your grandparents happen to know when there are small publishers unknown to a large group of comic fans doing great things whom deserves more recognition and exposure.

Honestly, if the people who made this list actually took the time to read every new comic which fits the criteria (as the title would lead you to believe), or even half of them, there is no God damn way one would pick any of Marvel or DC's fights for the top spot.

gunswordfist_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus, the Slade art is so beautiful...

@d9000 said:

What is Luther Strode and how do I get it?!

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@life_without_progress: @myfavoriteviltrumite23:

Yeah, I saw him, and good as that fight was there are tons of other greater titles out there from smaller publishers than the top three within the industry. Don't get me wrong, I love Image and I'm always happy to see any Image entry on this list, and I can be content with Deathstroke (I've seen so much worse from DC in this list), but the Uncanny Avengers was nothing but wasted potential which might have looked visually stunning had it been published around 1983. That said, the fight was still pretty tame by all accounts, poorly executed, lethargic, uninspired and honestly, slightly embarrassing for everybody involved. Where's the bloody cool? Where's the epicness? The scale? The brain? Where's the God damn eye candy? Optimus VS Prowl on the other hand was brutal, had great action panels with amazing art, and not to say the least, was something important and significant for anybody calling themselves transformers fans. THIS is character development (something DC/Marvel will never have with multiple writers swinging their dicks at the heroes while stepping all over each others shoes to give us their subjective version, cancelling and retconning each others writing to the point that the word consistency is surely tabu to even utter at either publishing house).

But now back to my other annoyance; the over-exposure of the two biggest publishing houses, cluttering up every other list. And WHY? I can't for the life of me figure out how people can find any thrills from the tired, repetitive PG-13 corpse dance of Marvel/DC with its crack-like addiction to the status quo, which makes everything that ever happens pointless in the end since nobody can ever die for real, to hell with suspense! 70 years of trolling, asspulls, retcons and shitty fights, while titles like Uber, Invincible, Transformers, TMNT etc. are rarely even mentioned. As if any super hero hoedown from Marvel or DC can hold a freaking candle to the epic brawls of Invincible, or the merciless gorefest slaughter of Uber (freaking read Uber).

Comic Fans don't need Marvel/DC wank (I am thankful to mostly Marvel for getting me into comics, but I won't parade the octogenarian around the block and call him the heavy-weight champion 2015 for pushing over a crippled third grader with so many good fights out there in our medium) and our community as a whole certainly doesn't need more focus on the only two publishers your grandparents happen to know when there are small publishers unknown to a large group of comic fans doing great things whom deserves more recognition and exposure.

Honestly, if the people who made this list actually took the time to read every new comic which fits the criteria (as the title would lead you to believe), or even half of them, there is no God damn way one would pick any of Marvel or DC's fights for the top spot.

this

Dudelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dudelicious

Prowl: "Peace has corrupted you Prime, it's made you ineffectual, weak!"

Optimus: "It's turned you into a monster"

*Optimus Prime burst-kicks Prowl in the chest, sending him through a window and a 200 feet drop, before proceeding to do a 200 feet elbow slam into Prowls chest*

Optimus: "You made this happen.You made me do this!"

*Drops the mike, walks off stage*

Avatar image for zarathos_no_daimaoh
Zarathos_No_Daimaoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's about which fight the authors thought were the best this week ... not about who gets too much exposure and who should get more . It's not as if the page didnt feature plenty cool Ninja Turtles fight and other books in past weeks .

So you disagree with one of the entries ? We probably all did at least a few times ... If up to me , each issues of the recent Elektra book , as an example , would be up in the column , each week it got released ... but it aint up to me

Avatar image for deactivated-5aaafb14ec726
deactivated-5aaafb14ec726

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

DeathStroke artwork is AWESOME. WOW.

Avatar image for symbiotepsychopath
SymbiotePsychopath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudelicious: Awesome post man.Been looking toward other comics lately because Marvel is completely MANGLING all my faves.At least Thanos never changes, heh...

Dudelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ivan_jimenez86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they're gearing Deathstroke for a match against Ares, Wonder Woman, the Justice League, Darkseid, Trigon, Raven, Teen Titans, and Dr. Fate.

Avatar image for symbiotepsychopath
SymbiotePsychopath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudelicious: Lmfao-the way things are going w/ Marvel right now? Look what they did to the Spiderman books & Ultron

Thanos sprouting boobs and becoming a nun may not be far off at this point.

Schwarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Schwarz

Well Marvel wants to be so "in" and politically corect, changing all the super heroes, I wouldn't be surprised that the new Hulk will be transgender.