#1 Edited by Smart_Dork_Dude (2591 posts) - - Show Bio

Both are the original versions. Each have four weapons common to their culture. For Beowulf: A skeggox, Viking sword, spear, and shield. For Perseus: A javelin, xiphos, xyston, and an aspis.

Battle is at the base of Mount Olympus.

#2 Posted by Ultra_Girl_ (1248 posts) - - Show Bio

Perseus solo's

#3 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2591 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ultra_Girl_: Beowulf slew Grendel, Grendel's demonic mother, and a dragon. Don't underestimate him

#4 Posted by NeonGameWave (7686 posts) - - Show Bio

Perseus.

#5 Posted by Ultra_Girl_ (1248 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@Ultra_Girl_: Beowulf slew Grendel, Grendel's demonic mother, and a dragon. Don't underestimate him

Perseus took out Zeus's father Kronos

:p

#6 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2591 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ultra_Girl_: I said ORIGINAL versions. As in the mythological versions. Perseus in myth never killed Kronos.

#7 Posted by 18hunt (2891 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ultra_Girl_ said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

Perseus took out Zeus's father Kronos

:p

Beowulf, these people probabley dont no who e is. Percy Jackson is crap that is fake. Beowulf would rip Perseus in half.

#8 Posted by Ultra_Girl_ (1248 posts) - - Show Bio

@18hunt: lol Perseus is from clash of the titans not that sh*tty series.

#9 Posted by 18hunt (2891 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ultra_Girl_ said:

@18hunt: lol Perseus is from clash of the titans not that sh*tty series.

- Well guess what, he said original, that is from mythology. In mythology the best he did was beat medusa. as said before Beowulf has many better feats.

#10 Posted by Ultra_Girl_ (1248 posts) - - Show Bio

@18hunt:Nah, Beowoulf is human, Perseus is demi god.

#11 Posted by 18hunt (2891 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, but a monster that could rip humans to pieces and eat them (while others where attacking it) got its arm ripped of by beowulf. plus, beowulf then killed that creature, then it's mother. and at an old age, he defeated a dragon (european dragon).

#12 Posted by 18hunt (2891 posts) - - Show Bio

- 1. I did not mean to come of rude 2 posts ago. (just trying to be a gentleman)

2. from the evidence above you should see that Beowulf would destroy.

- help me out, tell her about other things in Beowulf adventures.

#13 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2591 posts) - - Show Bio

@18hunt said:

- 1. I did not mean to come of rude 2 posts ago. (just trying to be a gentleman)

2. from the evidence above you should see that Beowulf would destroy.

- help me out, tell her about other things in Beowulf adventures.

Sure.

Beowulf not only killed a raging monster that killed NUMEROUS men before him, but swam through a lake that was filled with man eating eels to reach Grendel's mother who was stronger than her son to behead her, and finally slew a massive dragon in his golden years.

Honestly this is a pretty even match up. Also, not ALL demigods in mythology possessed superhuman strength. They were certainly strong of will and character, which does lend to the idea they were above human, but not many were known to be able to pull of what Hercules or Gilgamesh was capable of

#14 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

I give it to Beowulf.

#15 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8729 posts) - - Show Bio

Perseus slew the Sea Serpent Cetus sent by Poseidon to devour Andromeda, he's slain more then just the gorgon

#16 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2591 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crom-Cruach: And your thoughts on the fight?

#17 Posted by Bo88gdan (4393 posts) - - Show Bio

@Imagine_Man15 said:

I give it to Beowulf.

#18 Posted by terry2012 (4757 posts) - - Show Bio

This could be closer than what I thought.

#19 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8729 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@Crom-Cruach: And your thoughts on the fight?

Personally it's subjective. Beowulf's three actual monster kills in the myth (the eels were added for the movie) are Grendel, his mother and the dragon. Grendel and his mother are basically trow (troll beasts), germanic tales are littered with this motif of the powerful warrior slaying them. While it is an impressive feat. The Gorgon was a lot more then just some lady that turned men to stone. It was a fearsome monster that Perseus had to slay while not capable of looking up it directly. hence why he used the mirror shield's reflection to decapitate the medusa. He was basically fighting blind.

The sea serpent Cetus was capable of ravaging the entire region of Aethiopia. Andromeda's sacrifice was to prevent the beast from ravaging the land. In one version Perseus only slew the beast after a particularly vicious fight

Personally I'd think it all depends on the interpretation you choose of the power of Cetus. Monsters in greek mythology when they are named are usually far more powerful then unnamed ones. I'd tend towards Beowulf but I'd hasten to say it relative to what Cetus own accorded power is accepted.

#20 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2591 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crom-Cruach: They were? They were mentioned in the History Channel's Clash of the Gods in the Beowulf episode. I don't recall them off hand in the poem, but....

Anyway I say this MAY end in a tie. Both have somewhat comparable feats and are skilled warriors.

#21 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8729 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@Crom-Cruach:the History Channel's

There's your problem. the History Channel hasn't been doing it's research for years now. Some of the stuff they mention has better research in wikipedia entries. The actual poem for Beowulf pays no mention of a fight with giant eels.

#22 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2591 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crom-Cruach: In the lake where he swam to Grendel's mother's cave? Man I think I need to reread the poem.

#23 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8729 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@Crom-Cruach: In the lake where he swam to Grendel's mother's cave? Man I think I need to reread the poem.

here's the actual poem at the portion where he kills Grendel's mother. No giant eels:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/16328/16328-h/16328-h.htm#page_44

#24 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2591 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crom-Cruach: Well don't I feel stupid. Meh, ain't the first time.

#25 Posted by 18hunt (2891 posts) - - Show Bio

Beo