Pre-TPM Maul

Legends and Canon feats included

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Could you actually specify a time before TPM?

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Inclined to say Obi Wan as of right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Pre-TPM Maul still defeated Anoon Bondara, has appeared everywhere at once in the view of Komari Vosa (who has deflected roughly a dozen blaster bolts from Jango Fett, whos accuracy has been sufficient to kill numerous Jedi at the battle at Geonosis), has killed a small army of over 40 Black Sun soldiers, fought several fleets of Assassin Droids for months in extremely hazardous environments with nothing but a basic survival kit, kicked through a man's torso, kicked through durasteel armor, punched into a Wampa's torso, thrown around and choked a 450+lb creature. In terms of Force power he's blown a durasteel door away, blown a handful of soldiers away ect. He should take a solid majority.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShootingNova

@i_like_swords: I agree that pre-TPM Maul is more physically capable, but Ben is more powerful. For skill, Ben fighting as an equal to Darth Vader should rival Maul's beating Anoon Bondara, who is featless. Vader has beaten plenty of featless major characters.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shootingnova: More powerful?

Were they equal for the whole duel? I vaguely recall a source saying Ben was rapidly losing to Vader.

Anoon isn't completely featless. We know he was one of the best duelists at his time, but wasn't as good as Qui-Gon Jinn or Mace Windu. And he was no match for Maul, so it's alright as far as feats go. Although I can agree that in terms of skill these two rival eachother.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: Ben was at least as powerful as RotS Obi-Wan (ANH junior novelization), who is more powerful than Maul.

They were equal in skill, as defined by a number of sources. Ben was tiring because of Vader's greater strength, and we also know that Vader is faster than Ben as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shootingnova: But is this one of those statements like the one that claimed Luke was as strong in the Force as Vader?

Well, the same should apply here. Maul at least rivals Vader in strength and speed.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ShootingNova

@i_like_swords:

1. I don't know what you're talking about. This was an in-novel quote which indicates that Vader was wrong when he thought that Ben's power in the Force had diminished since his RotS incarnation.

2. Seriously? Maul at least rivals Vader in strength?

Or speed, for that matter? Vader being faster than Obi-Wan (who equals Maul in speed) would make him at least as fast as Maul, not the other way around.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shootingnova:

1. Remember the quote that said "While they were equally strong in the Force, this contest wouldn't be decided by physical strength". Of course I'm paraphrasing, but for a while people thought that quote meant Luke was as strong as Vader in raw Force power during RotJ, when really it meant physical "strength in the Force". I was wondering if this quote is the same.

Okay, so old man Obi-Wan is telekinetically equal to RotS Obi-Wan.

2. Okay, okay. Let me rephrase that. "Maul is approaching Vader in strength"

By the account of a Jedi who hasn't seen Obi-Wan's best speed feats first hand, and therefore is limited and subjective in his view.

And I would vouch for Maul, going by feats opposed to the odd subjective statement, being as fast as Vader.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords:

1. Probably meant Force augmentation or something.

As for being the same, not even close.

2. It's possible he might have been marginally more powerful based on his increased connection to the Living Force, but I doubt it matters anyway. Regardless, Ben is more powerful.

3. Based on what did Ferus never see Obi-Wan in action? He fought with Obi-Wan for two novels, so I think that's enough for him to be aware of how fast Obi-Wan is, and even if you disregarded this, Vader has other showings to match Maul.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shootingnova: So we're agreed? Ben is more powerful, Maul is better physically, they're roughly even as duelists?

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

okayalright_44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Penderor

I think that Ben should win. Of course, Maul has physical edge but fighting against few good swordsmen <<<<<<<<<<< holding against the Darth Vader.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@okayalright_44: I see Maul as the winner. Even if Kenobi is more skilled than Maul at this point (which is reasonable given that this is Maul as a teenager, and Kenobi at the end of his lifetime), he should end up worn out from Maul's significantly superior physicals and unrelenting Juyo offence. Although, Kenobi would be familiar with Maul's form while Maul wouldn't even know Kenobi at this point, so really it could go either way. But I just don't see Kenobi curbing the physical advantage. Maul's endurance is extraordinary whereas in contrast Kenobi's is poor at this point.

Edit: 32 BBY is the same year The Phantom Menace took place. So this is Maul only months prior to his duel with Jinn and Kenobi, when he was 22. As in, when his training is complete. He couldn't have improved between the time of Shadow Hunter and TPM, so this is essentially TPM Maul vs Ben Kenobi.

Maul definitely wins.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You really didn't make much of a difference if this was just TPM Maul over again.