BEATBOKS1 Amalgam Tournament.

Avatar image for thedarklordpandamonium
Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@thedarklordpandamonium: Can you show me someone who just got the ring escaping the Earth's orbit? Can you also show me someone who just got any other ring in the emotional spectrum (which are also banned) escape Earth's gravity with ease? I'll wait.

I don't own Sinestro Corps War or Blackest Night, but if you do here are the bits where they happen...

In Blackest Night Green Lantern the collection, the Black Rings create Xanshi which has a lush atmosphere near Earth's according to John Stewart. A horde of Black Lantern Xanshi-ites rise from the woodworks and chase John through space.

In Rage of the Red Lanterns, after Laira is first initiated and has no training she flies away from Ysmault with the rest of the Red Lanterns.

In Sinestro Corps War the Romat-Ru the Yellow Lantern is chasing down a ton of rookies; the rings get on their fingers, they see Romat-Ru and Tri-Eye chasing them, and they escape from the planet.

Those are all the instances I can think of right now that show speed, though it's worth noting that the 2nd Wave of Lanterns in Blackest Night (Lex Luthor, Scarecrow, Flash, Atom, etc) had no training whatsoever but were still fighting on par with the rest of them (Hal Jordan, Atrocitus, Larlfleeze, Sinestro, etc).

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@thedarklordpandamonium:

In Blackest Night Green Lantern the collection, the Black Rings create Xanshi which has a lush atmosphere near Earth's according to John Stewart. A horde of Black Lantern Xanshi-ites rise from the woodworks and chase John through space.

Here the thing though, you need to be dead to operate it if you give the ring to someone who never died it's useless.

In Rage of the Red Lanterns, after Laira is first initiated and has no training she flies away from Ysmault with the rest of the Red Lanterns.

Again she is not a normal person and wasn't she chosen by the ring? she was chosen by the ring, and being a former Green Lantern she had some experience with power rings. When I say normal I mean normal let's just say we give someone like Spongebob the Red Lantern ring, since Spongebob lacks rage he would not be able to operate it.....at all so just the ring by itself does not put one over the limit it depends on the ability of the wielder.

In Sinestro Corps War the Romat-Ru the Yellow Lantern is chasing down a ton of rookies; the rings get on their fingers, they see Romat-Ru and Tri-Eye chasing them, and they escape from the planet.

Interesting but as I said before that's only if you possess the ability to install fear in others, let's just say for instance someone like me (who can't even install fear in a new born baby) was to put said ring one,do you think I would be able to operate it?

Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dccomicsrule2011:

I mean I said that 'if the ring chooses you, you're outside the limits'.

If somebody chose a mind that didn't match the ring at all, like Spongebob and a Red Lantern Ring, ofc it wouldn't work. The Ring wouldn't work PERIOD.

Realistically, if their minds got altered or they found the ring, they wouldn't even be able to put it on.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@thedarklordpandamonium:

mean I said that 'if the ring chooses you, you're outside the limits'

But the ring by itself is not outside the limit and that is the point i'm trying to articulate your saying that Goku's mind and body does not break the rules, but neither does the ring and a normal Hal Jordan mind break the rule either.

Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedarklordpandamonium:

mean I said that 'if the ring chooses you, you're outside the limits'

But the ring by itself is not outside the limit and that is the point i'm trying to articulate your saying that Goku's mind and body does not break the rules, but neither does the ring and a normal Hal Jordan mind break the rule either.

The Ring does intrinsically break the limits, though.

Because in order to have it AT ALL you'd have to have a mind capable of using it. Otherwise, the Ring won't even go on your finger.

Anyone who the Ring accepts is outside the limits.

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@thedarklordpandamonium: He's over the limit because he's over the limit. no where did I say that the limits solely apply to the aspect your choosing, throughout the thread I've denied characters who's OVERALL being breaks a limit but he part of the aspect chosen doesnt. Doomsday didnt break the power limit but he does break the strength and durability ones. i denied his admittance and no one questioned that. it's the same with the rings. The idea is to unlock potential of characters not yet shown or to use one ability to amp in lncrease another ( and make an argument that sells it working). No simgle character choice in any area will be allowed if they are over in another, and that is the way I've tried to do it. If I've missed some it may be because of lack of mnowledge on said characters

Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beatboks1:

But Goku doesn't break any of the limits.

His body itself isn't over the limits. If I chose Goku's body and Professor X's mind his physical prowess wouldn't be over the limit and he wouldn't be able to use ki attacks.

His mind itself isn't over the limits. If I chose Goku's mind and say Ult. Quicksilver's body his mind wouldn't be over the limit and he wouldn't be able to use ki attacks.

Doomsday breaks the strength and durability limits, so he's out.

The mind and body amp each other.

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beatboks1:

How many combatants are going to be allowed in this tournament of yours, kind sir?

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By beatboks1

@beatboks1:

But Goku doesn't break any of the limits.

His body itself isn't over the limits. If I chose Goku's body and Professor X's mind his physical prowess wouldn't be over the limit and he wouldn't be able to use ki attacks.

His mind itself isn't over the limits. If I chose Goku's mind and say Ult. Quicksilver's body his mind wouldn't be over the limit and he wouldn't be able to use ki attacks.

Doomsday breaks the strength and durability limits, so he's out.

The mind and body amp each other.

yes he does

http://www.screwattack.com/shows/originals/death-battle/death-battle-goku-vs-superman

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/superman-vs-goku-727482/

Superman Breaks the rules. There is a strong perception Goku can make a battle with Superman Ergo he's out. Don't bother arguing he's out. An individual power isn't what has to be under, the OVERALL power of the character has to. Doomsday was chosen fro powerset slot. His POWER was not over the limits but the character was over in others overall so denied. Every individual power you can unlock can't be over the limits, it's the melding of them that can take you there. Everyone else seems to be getting it.

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@beatboks1: ok, well.here's my 1st draft, let's see how it goes.

Body: Cyborg Superman? allowable?

Mind: Brianiac 5 (Legion)

Powers: Element Lad (Legion)

Item: Emerald Eye of Ekron

Does that work?

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beatboks1: ok, well.here's my 1st draft, let's see how it goes.

Body: Cyborg Superman? allowable?

Mind: Brianiac 5 (Legion)

Powers: Element Lad (Legion)

Item: Emerald Eye of Ekron

Does that work?

Cyborg Supes is out.

Brainiac 5 is allowable ( hell we have Doom in here and I've been really lax on mind) just remember no time manipulation so his time stuff will be DQ'd

Element lad, technically breaks no rules so I'll

Emerald Eye is definitely out it's in league with GL rings if not above.

Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes he does

http://www.screwattack.com/shows/originals/death-battle/death-battle-goku-vs-superman

Superman Breaks the rules. There is a strong perception Goku can make a battle with Superman Ergo he's out. Don't bother arguing he's out. An individual power isn't what has to be under, the OVERALL power of the character has to. Doomsday was chosen fro powerset slot. His POWER was not over the limits but the character was over in others overall so denied. Every individual power you can unlock can't be over the limits, it's the melding of them that can take you there. Everyone else seems to be getting it.

*facedesk*

You're still not getting it but it's your tournament so okay.

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By beatboks1

@beatboks1 said:

yes he does

*facedesk*

You're still not getting it but it's your tournament so okay.

Dude I'm getting what your trying to say but your not getting what I am. It doesn't matter if a characters body is under the body limit. Or their power is under the power limit. IF their overall character is over ANY limit, they aren't allowed. I've already disallowed 5 characters who didn't break the rules for thier particular planed slot because they did break the rules overall.

So here is the deal. You want Goku ? Fine he will be limited to fit the rules across the board in line with everyone else allowed. He will have no strength feats using Ki over the 90 ton limit. Gonna completely screw you when others can use a power or mind they have chosen to add on to a body and take them to new levels. He will have NO energy projection over the limit with his ki. There goes all his planet busting feats yet you will likely be facing characters that do have capability on that level. Entirely up to you, if you want to go into a tourney with both your hands and legs bound and a blind fold on. Frankly the build i have put together used properly will tear Goku apart and I've used character way below his limit

Planning to kick this thing off over the weekend (which for me starts tomorrow). If everyone can pm me (not in this PM obviously) a number between 0 and 50. As anyone who's played in my tourneys will know I like you guys to basically determine your own draft. I'll pm my number to Esquire so he knows where I should be in the order.

Basically whoever has the lowest number plays the second lowest in opening round and so on. If two pick the same number it goes in the order that I received the PM's. When I list the bracket it will show the numbers chosen ( open and honest) and times where appropriate.

Does anyone have a problem with the suggested run for a 24 team tourney ( i.e. when we get down to the three teams they each fight each other and the two highest points on a win loss play a final OR if an outright leader overall takes it. 24-12-6-3 -?

Also I'm considering a post limit for each player per round. A LOT of tourneys lately are like war and piece with a couple of pages ( and at 50 posts per page that's a lot of stuff to read). It means you'd have to take a lot more care in covering your points well. I'm thinking a 7 post debate per player with an 8th post of purely summing up where there's no allowance for new info or evidence to be offered ( meaning you can clarify your case on a point made or answer a question only but can't simply throw something new in the mix that your adversary has no right of reply to.

Thoughts????

Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DireDrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beatboks1: 24 person tourney is fine. Last round will be difficult though. Maybe a 2v2 in the second round if you can find people who are willing to team up?

Post limit is also fine. I would assume 1 Introductory post, 1 Rebuttal Post, 1 Conclusive Post? So 3 posts altogether with additional posts added if there is a ruling needed or special cases as directed by you.

Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beatboks1: 24 person tourney is fine. Last round will be difficult though. Maybe a 2v2 in the second round if you can find people who are willing to team up?

Post limit is also fine. I would assume 1 Introductory post, 1 Rebuttal Post, 1 Conclusive Post? So 3 posts altogether with additional posts added if there is a ruling needed or special cases as directed by you.

Actually, I'd say, LD style AC, CX, NC/1NR, CX, 1AR, 2NR, 2AR

1) Team A: Opening

2) Team B: Asks questions

3) Team B: Opening + Rebuttal

4) Team A: Rebuttal

5) Team B: Rebuttal (no new points can be brought up) and conclusion

6) Team A: Rebuttal (no new points can be brought up) and conclusion

DireDrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedarklordpandamonium: How is that different from what I said?

Yours would be:

1) Team A: Opening

2) Team B: Opening

3) Team A: Rebuttal

4) Team B: Rebuttal

5) Team A: Conclusion

6) Team B: Conclusion

This has worked better for LD and it will probably work better for this tournament.

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

still waiting for quite a few number picks to be sent to me so I can set up the draw

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@beatboks1: hey, my guy is trying to say that all of his guys are way faster than light speed

should I get on him about breaking the rules of this tourney?

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beatboks1: hey, my guy is trying to say that all of his guys are way faster than light speed

should I get on him about breaking the rules of this tourney?

No I never do you even read? My exact words were:

"Dude they were talking about blaster bolts from Starfighter which uses the same energy of a hand blaster only faster (lightspeed, while a blaster is around the sped of a bullet) Since it works on the same principle and energy it applies to blaster as well meaning the real damaging properties are invisible what you see them reflecting are the tracers, but the damaging property exploded instants before the tracers what part of this is hard to grasp? Why bring up Footage from the movie when this is EU version?"

When did I even say Light speed?

Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dccomicsrule2011: you used the following quote

Energy weapons fire invisible energy beams at lightspeed. The visible "bolt" is a glowing pulse that travels along the beam at less than lightspeed. Therefore, targets can explode instants before the "bolt" actually arrives.

to describe blasters

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@betatesthighlander1: I specificly stated in the thread I was describing starifghter beam which is a advanced version of normal bolts. I said in the thread the reason it is valid is because bolts from stafighters use the same priniple but the Starfighters energy beams are clearly faster. The whole point was to show the visible light in blster beams are only tracers while the damaging properties are invisible. That is why I underlined that part, I made this clear on the thread but it must have went over your head.

*gasp* Shocking!

Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dccomicsrule2011: okay, so, how does that equal blaster bolts being faster than bullets?

because, if speed doesn't apply to handblasters, why would mechanics of Aiming and light

your cherrypicking me man

cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump......@beatboks1: this is still going right? @floopay: we are setup on the bracket on the other thread right? can you set ours up?

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@cosmicallyaware1: If you could set it up I'd be very appreciative, I get like 30 notifications an hour atm because I'm setting up a tournament, and am sorting through a bunch of crap.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@floopay: yeah the new notification system instead of a PM when someone replies to you is not east to follow at all when setting up tourneys is it. it's too damn easy to miss stuff in a wall of notification

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry guys...been away from the vine lately....getting bs ck into the swing of things...don't like using my phone either...need a tablet