Battle of the Week: Wonder Woman vs. Guardians of the Galaxy

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Wonder Woman, our latest Character of the Month, has now been in the Battle of the Week twice. In both encounters, she was able to earn the support of the voters and overcame her competition. First, she defeated Marvel'sBeta Ray Bill and then she took down Skybound's Invincible. Her time in the spotlight may be coming to an end, but her time in this segment definitely isn't over just yet! Now, Diana is going face to face with Marvel's popular team, the Guardians of the Galaxy! Will her combination of skill, weaponry and raw physical might lead her to yet another win or does the cosmic team have too much variety on their side and they'll eventually drop the formidable DC heroine? Again, your vote will help select the winner. But before you pick a side, go ahead and read the rules. Seriously, they'll tell you important stuff like where the fight is taking place.

No Caption Provided

Match Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter (no prep for either side) and both characters have standard gear.
  • This is New 52 Wonder Woman and the latest incarnation of the Guardians of the Galaxy (the team consists of Star-Lord, Groot, Rocket Raccoon, Gamora, Drax).
  • They're fighting in a generic city setting. They're in a 2x2 block area which is unpopulated, but everything around that section is full of civilians and both sides are aware of this. It takes place during the day and they start roughly 50 feet apart and visible. Everything in the city (let's say the city is the size of Manhattan and surrounded by ocean) is on limits.
  • Incapacitation, knockout, BFR (battlefield removal, which means knocking someone so far away that the fight cannot continue in the very near future) or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too. "What's a tactical retreat?" It's leaving the fight with the intention of not returning to the battle in the immediate future. Going to another spot in the environment to catch your breath for a moment or two or for a tactical advantage is not a tactical retreat.
  • Hey, you know what would be really cool? Treating everyone else in the debate with respect. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. Seriously, this is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging.
  • If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining. Just saying.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs.
No Caption Provided

Have you really thought it through and you think you now know which side should earn the victory? You took into account how these characters act in battle and how the environment might play a role? Cool, then it looks like you're ready to head to the poll! We've provided it below, but if you do have any trouble casting your vote, try refreshing the page or using a different browser.

Check the homepage this Friday for an updated article with the following:

• The results of the poll.
  • Thoughts from the staff.
  • Viner Arguments for both characters.
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Want to suggest a future Battle of the Week for Wonder Woman? Tell us below or share it via twitter.

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I think GOTG wins, just too much firepower for me, I think?

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New 52 Wonder Woman? I don't know that much about the 'latest versions' (MARVEL NOW! versions?) so I don't think I should vote.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Siding with Wonder Woman.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

i wanna go with WW due to her God of War abilities if she is pushed too far she could remove her manacles and lay some Olympian buttwhup . someone will have a better counterpoint lol

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soa: I know just the guy

@tparks:

TG_54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the whole team?! Idk, thats alot of firepower

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By MatthewParker

I think Gamora+Groot+Drax>WW, right?

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a unique matchup to say the least.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

1 vs 5

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Diana stomp.

joaoanjos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New 52 WW? Come on people, GotG is not facing Diana anymore, they are going against the GOD OF WAR.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New 52 Wonder Woman is not nearly as impressive as Pre 52, and the team takes this IMO.

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star-Lord isn't going to do much

Rocket Raccoon will be useless without prep

Drax and Gamora will get overwhelmed quickly

Groot is the only true threat

This fight would be similar to the Angela and Guardians except WW almost stomps here

A1l_S2a3m4E5N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WW.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soa said:

i wanna go with WW due to her God of War abilities if she is pushed too far she could remove her manacles and lay some Olympian buttwhup . someone will have a better counterpoint lol

Yeah, I don't see why she couldn't.

jackbensley777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Dc over powers their people way too much, wonder woman shoukdnt be much stronger than luke cage.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Wolfrazer

@zhurong: Rocket ain't useless without prep.

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ZhuRong

@sirfizzwhizz: Oh really? Please state your arguments because me and many others would be willing to counter.

Avatar image for sightlessreality
SightlessReality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope this doesn't end like the Batman vs. StarLord match up.

Bring your A game GotG!

Will vote after seeing well thought out responses for both sides.

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By G_leno

I will back the Guardians of the galaxy for this fight. I don't think that Rocket Raccoon will be much of factor in this fight, and to some extent, neither will star lord. These two will be providing covering fire and distractions with their weapon and gadgets. The real test for diana comes form the other 3.

I think that Gamora will be on par with Wonder Woman in terms of skill with close combat weapons. Gamora's lack of strength however makes her two fighting partners valuble to the encounter

Everyones favourite walking talking tree has some abilities that Diana may not be expecting which could throw her off balance during the fight. Groots ability to regrow will come in handy as he will definitely get bits cut off during the fight. My only problem is Drax as his stregth level is somewhat of a mystery. Sometimes he seems to struggle with a few random alien soldiers and the next minute he is challenging Gladiator to single combat, so depending on how strong he actually is, he is the key to victory.

All in all, the combination of varied skill sets, teamwork and lots of weaponry, plus Groots killer dance moves, give this to the guardians, 6/10.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 juiceboks  Moderator

@jackbensley777: ..what? What does Luke Cage have to do with Wonder Woman? Keep in mind Wonder Woman was conceived decades before Luke.

Jkutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No way she takes down the GG in character, Gamora could keep her busy H2H while RR and Star-Lord lay down the pain from a distance, Groot comes in and smashes her with his sheer strength. GG wins.

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jackbensley777: Bullsh!t, man, You give Diana too little credit. She's way above Luke Cage's level

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As the God of War, can't WW make them turn on each other?

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish Brian Azzarello could see the type of lowballing New 52 Wonder Woman recieves on this forum then just maybe he would've wrote her much better.

Sirzechs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soa said:

Indeed, WW her would Sword slices through anything, the GotG has to offer.

Divell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it is depending bc, gamora is really good fighter but she isn't stronger as Thor or Hulk, Groot and Drax are but are pure strength. Rocket rackoon's fire power is good as Iron-Man's, same with star lord. And if we are including Angela who beat the crap out of Thor we can say that WW has lost this battle.

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By illmatic4177

Wonder Woman is a beast, but if she wins against all 5 members of GoG then this poll is officially a joke.

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Does Gamora still have her dagger , Godslayer?

Either way i think Guardians hold the advantage with numbers. Groot, Drax and Gamora have all held their own with some mighty powerful characters in the past.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Gracetrack

I would have liked to see Wonder Woman vs Rogue (Claremont's).

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sirzechs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Gamora+Groot+Drax>WW, right?

Unless they're on Superman or Doomsday level not a chance.

RybackStun93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that people don't give the GotG enough credit here. Gamora and Drax are certainly the heavy hitters and WW would have trouble dealing with just the two of them (God of War or no), but that still leaves three members left to figure into the fight.

Rocket's tactics would definitely keep Wonder Woman off her balance and the constant attacks from Gamora, Drax, and Groot would be incredibly difficult to deal with. Star Lord and Rocket can suppress her enough to keep her from using the lasso (if she still has that) or to just keep her on ranged defense as the others close into combat.

GotG take this 7/10. WW could get lucky and knock out two opponents quickly but I doubt she'll have enough time in the fight itself to be that effective.

One way or another this is going to be a lopsided vote. Either reason wins out and people see it's 5 v 1, or the WW voters come out in droves to make sure she "wins". Hate to put it like that, but it's the truth.

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnfrank120: She could have the greatest story of all time but that won't make the disrespect she recieves and low general popularity she already has any better.

DarthManhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

.....geez

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phillip_xst:WW did not win against Swamp Thing, she was pretty much owned.

@zhurong: If you want to continue, continue with a PM to avoid derailing the thread.

Divell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamora is not as stronger than WW is but is as faster and good fighter as she is. Drax and Groot are stronger as Thor and Hulk are. And Star-Lord and Rocket Raccoon have firepower to Iron-Man's best attack. And if we include Angela who has beaten the crap out of Thor it would be practically impossible to Wonder Woman to ever have a chance maybe Angela (Aldrift Odinsdottir) vs Wonder Woman (Diana Prince) but she doen't have much to do here, and with Groot the Lazo don't work: All he can say is I'm Groot.

Sirzechs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman casually block Darkseid Omega beam with her manacles, I fail to see what kind of Firepower any GotG has that stronger than Darkseid's omega beam, Also know Wonder Woman went toe to toe with Foara who's by far stronger than both Drax and Groot combine.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diana

Sirzechs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sirzechs

@johnfrank120 said:

@phillip_xst:WW did not win against Swamp Thing, she was pretty much owned.

Pretty much owned? Umm no, all Swamp Thing did was restrain her so he could explain himself and Aquaman appear so she didn't continue, She overwhelmed him for the most part.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirzechs: Swamp thing was tanking her attacks and wasn't really harmed, and when he got serious he restrained her with ease.

Back on topic WW wins, her atom splitting sword is more than enough to decapitate Rocket, Starlord and Gamora and maybe enough to take down Drax and Groot, she has the bracelets to block any real firepower and the speed and skill to avoid any hits and tank the ones they land.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#46 frozen  Moderator

Interesting.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5 vs 1!!!! That's kinda unfair .....for gotg!

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Noone301994

Star-Lord solos.

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matthewparker: a weaken Thanos; I'd real Infinity Revelation to get the full story.

When have the Guardians ever reacted to someone as fast as Wonder Woman? I don't believe they could do any damage besides Groot, but even he has his limits. Her sword is what truly decapitates each of the Guardians.. But let's see about Team Work here

On a general scale, Rocket Groot and Star Lord all carry necessary equipment of taking down large threats that could equal galactic - solar system scale threats; primarily Thanos, but have always gone up against the wrath of the universal enemies that Marvel has created. From Annihilus to Ultron and every villain inbetween, not to mention a couple of heroes disagreeing and battling with The Guardians but they've stayed on top of their game against these people and haven't faltered. Most of the time they did have prep though, unfortunately, but IF Wonder Woman can be contained by the obscene amount of Power of Groot while Star Lord/Rocket/Gamora unleash their weaponry and Drax utilizes his knives and combat, I see no reason why Wonder Woman wouldn't go down.

Given she "could" access the Speed Force and has an Atom Splitting Sword.. I potentially see her absolutely making a mockery of The Guardians; I'll side with Wonder Woman here.

Sure, numbers help out a LOT but not when their opponent severely outclasses them. The Guardians have a lot of prep feats on their side that could enable a victory but I just don't think they have the necessary firepower to take Diana down.

WW 8/10

Sirzechs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirzechs: Swamp thing was tanking her attacks and wasn't really harmed, and when he got serious he restrained her with ease.

Back on topic WW wins, her atom splitting sword is more than enough to decapitate Rocket, Starlord and Gamora and maybe enough to take down Drax and Groot, she has the bracelets to block any real firepower and the speed and skill to avoid any hits and tank the ones they land.

I wouldn't call getting a entire portion of your body punched off tanking, but as I said she stopped because he was holding her down before and she brushed it off, it was during the explanation that she really stop fighting.