Battle of the Week: Wonder Woman vs. Beta Ray Bill

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Each and every month, the Comic Vine community picks a new character to receive some extra focus and love. This month, the most iconic female superhero, Wonder Woman, has earned the spot. This means we'll eventually praise some of her coolest covers, talk about some of her great stories, and much, much more, but it also means we're also going to put her abilities as a combatant to the test each and every week! Diana's first opponent: Beta Ray Bill!

Will Wonder Woman's reflexes, skill, and weaponry allow her to drop her enemy? Or will Beta Ray Bill and his weapon, Stormbreaker, defeat the heroine from DC? Who will be left standing when these two powerhouses clash? In the end, the verdict will be determined by the voters, so go ahead and read the votes and give it some proper thought before picking a winner!

No Caption Provided

Match Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter (no prep for either side) and both characters have standard gear.
  • This is pre-New 52 Wonder Woman.
  • They're fighting in a generic city setting. They're in a 5x5 block area which is unpopulated, but everything around that section is full of civilians and they're both aware of this. It takes place during the day and they start roughly 100 feet apart and visible. Everything in the city (let's say the city is the size of Manhattan and surrounded by ocean) is on limits.
  • Incapacitation, knockout, BFR (battlefield removal, which means knocking someone so far away that the fight cannot continue in the very near future) or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too. "What's a tactical retreat?" It's leaving the fight with the intention of not returning to the battle in the immediate future. Going to another spot in the environment to catch your breath for a moment or two or for a tactical advantage is not a tactical retreat.
  • Hey, you know what would be really cool? Treating everyone else in the debate with respect. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. Seriously, this is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging.
  • If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining. Just saying.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs.
No Caption Provided

Check the homepage this Friday for an updated article with the following:

• Thoughts from the staff.
  • Viner Arguments for both characters.
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Check back on Friday for the results and more. Want to suggest a future Battle of the Week for Wonder Woman? Tell us below or share it via twitter.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I can't wait to read the debate on this one. My first thoughts are going to be that speed is the killer here. Bill might be able to compensate for this with area of effect attacks though if he gets the chance but I guess thats where wonder womans force field comes in.

Does it have the feats to withstand beta ray bills lightning? All though thats assuming bill gets the chance to use lightning as well.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

i like BRB but pre-52 wonder wman feats are crazy. i wussed out and said to close to call

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Gracetrack

My initial feeling is that Wonder Woman takes it.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

@jashro44: Beta Ray Bill has plenty of speed watch

now im sure youve seen these before but the argument is there is no way to determine how fast the Ship and Surfer are going... but there is now.

Skuttlebutt was traveling at full speed here under order from Beta Ray Bill. now lets see some other instances of Skuttlebutt traveling

lightspeed and Thor had to increase his speed to keep up with it... so Beta Ray Bill reacted to a Silver Surfer bull rushing at the speed of light...

this is of course supported by other feats of him comprehending things moving at light speed but now we can actually get a comparison

SpawnOfGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Wonder Woman would win.

She is more skilled, and has weapons to put him down with.

She's also faster which means she could dodge more attacks than he would dodge and it also means she could land more hits than he could land.

Kept it short for the OP

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bill is cool (he's an alien horse man with a Norse hammer, and his name is Bill) but despite the coolness and raw cosmic power he possesses I'd give it to Wondie. Sure Bill has faced some crazy stuff, and been to some crazy places, but the same could be said for Wonder Woman. Throw in her unmatched combat ability, and the fact that she may be able to lift his hammer (don't even pretend it's not a possibility) and you have a well documented curb stomp.

I could go on, but I think I'd just be beating a dead horse.

Loading Video...

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@serrure: Interesting. He can probably react in that case. I still feel wonder womans over all combat speed is better though (I've never seen bill really do a rapid blitz thing, the feat you posted is more so one swing so not sure if he can repeatedly swing the hammer that fast). She might not blitz but I still feel speed is one of her advantages.

All though this is much closer now.

R11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BRB takes this!

SpawnOfGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those scans showed travel speed.

And fighting surfer isnt impressive. Surfer hardly ever uses his combat speed.

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I voted Bill because i'm a biased fanboy

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I just splooshed on the floor..........

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Wolverine008

@serrure: Ah, sorry man. Must of forgot.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman.

Winterman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bill wins. they're reasonably evenly matched , hand-to-hand-wise but storm breaker is the decider. ten or so full-power lightning strikes (or one insanely big one) and WW is out. I wouldn't say "no contest" but it would be a short fight. Beta Ray Bill wins.

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By serrure

@jashro44: absolutely you have no idea how may thor comics i went through looking for those for Skuttlebutt... but Bills main weakness here is lack of issues (hes only got around 250)

i also think his overall durability far exceeds Wonder Woman

this is Warrior Madness Thor the same guy who beat Adam Warlock and Silver Surfer easily. and Bill took his shots fairly well

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they wrestled for a moment couldn't he just put the hammer on her and pin her to the ground.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@serrure: I imagine striking power and durability go to bill. Skill and speed go to wonder woman probably. And than there is the lasso (if she can get it around Bill).

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wondy

SpawnOfGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SpawnOfGod

@westy206 said:

If they wrestled for a moment couldn't he just put the hammer on her and pin her to the ground.

i laugh every time i see this comment. all the person would have to do is go through the ground and get out. Simple.

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Tough choice, but I voted for Wonder Woman. It just seemed right.

Avatar image for charlieusername
charlieusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman wins. Especially if we're talking about Pre-New 52 Wondy.

She was worthy of Mjölnir, but she deemed it unworthy of her and cast it aside. Doesn't get more bad ass than that.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice battle!

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Mucklefluga

Wonder Woman because she's in the Justice League.

lantian1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Pre-52 Wonder Woman have a sword as standard gear?

If not this would likely be one of her most difficult fights

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh I just looked at the conditions again, and I thought it said "New 52" Wonder Woman when I read it earlier. The fact that it's Post Crisis WW puts her at a bit of a disadvantage. I hope in future fights we get her New 52 feats.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@westy206 said:

Maybe, but keep in mind there is a very good chance that if anyone from the DCU could lift the hammer, it would probably be Wonder Woman.

SpawnOfGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@westy206 said:

Maybe, but keep in mind there is a very good chance that if anyone from the DCU could lift the hammer, it would probably be Wonder Woman.

No. All people have to do is dig through the ground and get out from under neath it.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Saint_Sophie

@winterman: Except her bracelets can easily deflect that lightning or she can tank that lightning and also she can generate her own lightning too. She has her own weapons as well. Like the lasso she'll be using to hog tie BRB after she wins.

Scarbearer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Wonder Woman takes this by a slim margin. Bill's got all the tools to take Diana, down, but I think Diana has the right tools and multiple ways to counter Bill's best blows.I think her Durability Feats stack up to survive a few hits of Bill's lightning, but I think even so she's got the speed feats to avoid most of them.

In terms of raw fighting skill, Diana is also one of the few powerhouses that I think you can make an easy argument for being a more skilled fighter than Bill. She is far less likely to make the mistake that Bill needs to capitalize on to win.

It certainly wouldn't be a clean sweep, but I think Diana would take 6 fights out of 10 if they were to really tear into each other.

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh my god i just realized BRB could BFR her... like seriously thats an option

Beta Ray Bill BFRs her and then wins its that simple

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Taking an analysis of the fight, each of the combatants has certain distinct advantages. Bill definitely has the advantage in striking power, durability, and more versatility, while Wonder Woman has an advantage in speed and skill, as well as possibly a slight strength advantage, though not enough to turn the tide of the fight. Obviously the biggest reason people will claim Wonder Woman wins is the speedblitz, and it is a valid point, but the question becomes, how often does Diana actually blitz unknown opponents? I can't recall too many times she has myself, but I'd leave that to the experts. We've also seen that Bill is capable of reacting to high speed opponents, which can also be argued. The point is, outside of the Speedblitz option, Diana doesn't have too many ways to put Bill down, especially because she doesn't have her atom splitting sword from the New 52, leaving her without a fast way to end the fight, even with the lasso. Bill on the other hand, is quite capable of hitting her with his best strikes, as he isn't quite as inhibited by his morals, especially against a stranger. And he rivals Thor with his power, and Thor is a god capable of breaking planets on at least 2 occasions. Not to mention his massive durability.

Overall Bill takes this due to his ability to react, his striking power, and his durability that will allow him to take Diana's hits while returning more powerful ones.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@serrure: Won't she be able to deflect a bfr attempt?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sophia89 said:

@wolverine08 said:

@serrure: Ah, sorry man. Must of forgot.

Must have forgot.*

The best there is doesn't know basic grammar. :P

When you're the best, fickle things like grammar don't matter much :D

Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sammo21

Beta Ray Bill beat Thor without Stormbreaker...think about that. Added with his Asgardianpowers, technological enhancements, AND Stormbreaker and he'd beat Wonder Woman. With Stormbreaker he's moving faster than light, his skin is impervious to any weapon Wonder Woman would attempt to use, and his strength level is literally strong enough to destroy entire planets. Not to mention his super strength, stamina, and more. Think The Terminator if The Terminator also was given the powers of Thor...yeah.

Wonder Woman's good...she's not that good. Beta Ray Bill wins this one, hands down. I don't even think its worth mentioning that "she might be able to lift his hammer". That's way too hypothetical and things that happen in non-canon crossovers is typically said to not count, otherwise Captain America beats Batman and we already know what kind of crap storm any "Batman vs" debate brings down :p

I gotta give this one to BRB. He's simply too power, fast, and resilient for Wonder Woman to beat him without help from a lot of people. Not to mention BRB could take pre-New 52 Superman down easily as well. I'll just leave this image here...you know, where you can imagine BRB just flying to space and destroying whatever planet Diana is on.

No Caption Provided

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr said:

@serrure: Won't she be able to deflect a bfr attempt?

how do you deflect a portal?

Cosmic_Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stormbreaker has covered STARS in cosmic storms, AOE around the safe area I haven't seen any scans to suggest she would survive too many.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for charlieusername
charlieusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@westy206 said:

She did lift the hammer, in the Marvel vs. D.C. series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dace575ce059
deactivated-5dace575ce059

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jwrose5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jwrose5

Even without any Asgardian enhancements Bill has superhuman strength, speed, stamina and an extended lifespan. With his hammer he can command the storms just like Thor.

WW has super strength and healing, a great tactical mind, enhanced senses, and a resistance to fire both natural and supernatural. She also has been trained in several styles of combat.

This could be really close, but being an Amazon, I imagine that WW has the edge. She would have a unique style of fighting that would be hard to defend against and Batman once called her the best melee fighter in the world.

I give this to Diana of Themyscira.

jwrose5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see Wonder Woman go up against Hercules

Avatar image for iron_mans_cod_piece
Iron_Mans_Cod_Piece

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think in an EXTENDED battle, BRB wins the majority of the battles. However, I'd like to believe that if these 2 met, I'm betting it will be short and brutal, ending in a knock out - and that favors Wonder Woman.

I think BRB will hold back initially due to his morals and probably underestimating WW's considerable strength. WW would not hold back, as she'd see BRB as an electricity spewing alien beast and would go immediately for the knock out.

Bah, but what do i know, i voted Too Close to Call. Can't wait for the professionals' analysis though.

Side note: i see a lot of people saying that WW is worthy enough to lift Stormbreaker, but no one has mentioned how the Lasso would affect BRB. He's a pretty good guy and idk if it would have an effect.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Saint_Sophie

@jacthripper: She has used speed a lot of times. She says that moves with "Hermes' speed" and moves "faster than thought".

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Popularity contest, but I'm going with BRB.

Sirzechs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pre-New 52 Wonder Woman takes this easily, neck snaps FTW