• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by k4tzm4n (43910 posts) 1 month, 27 days ago

Poll: Battle of the Week VOTING: Deathstroke vs. Taskmaster (389 votes)

Deathstroke 54%
Taskmaster 38%
Too close to call 7%

*Want to vote but you don't have an account? Well, what are you waiting for?! Signing up is beyond simple. CLICK HERE to register and then you'll be able to vote in all of our polls and join the countless discussions. Go on, make an account!*

Voting for our latest Character of the Month gave the community the chance to choose between 10 mercenaries and assassins. In the end, Slade Wilson, a.k.a. Deathstroke, earned a majority of the votes and took the prize. However, one character always was on his tail: Tony Masters, a.k.a. Taskmaster. As the Character of the Month, Deathstroke's abilities will be tested each and every week against a new challenger. He was able to drop Boba Fett, but he lost against Deadpool and then Hellboy. As each of those battles went down, we kept seeing requests for Deathstroke to fight several characters. Obvious choices like Wolverine, Black Panther, and Captain America appeared from time to time, but Taskmaster's name kept popping up. So, why not give the people what they want, right?

Will the Marvel villain's skill and photographic reflexes allow him to defeat Slade or will the Character of the Month overcome his latest opponent? Go read the rules and then share your thoughts!

Match Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter (aka no prep for either side).
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. Assume they start roughly 50 feet apart and visible. There's a fair amount of cover in the location (parked vehicles, bus stops and such). The entire area is on limits. This means alleys, rooftops, building interiors, the sewer, etc.
  • Both characters have standard gear.
  • This is pre-New 52 Deathstroke.
  • Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too.
  • Hey, you know what would be really cool? Treating everyone else in the debate with respect. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. Seriously, this is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging.
  • If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining. Just saying.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs.

Check the homepage this Friday for an updated article with the following:

• Thoughts from the staff.
  • Viner Arguments for both characters (can't include scans and must be in the poll thread).
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Keep your eyes on the homepage for more Deathstroke goodness! We've posted his Best Covers, Must Read Stories and Best Battles. If you want to suggest a future match for Slade Wilson, tell us below or suggest it via twitter.

#1 Posted by Omnicrono (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

Taskmaster may be able to copy Deathstroke's moves, but he can't copy his mind. :)

#2 Posted by Iragexcudder (4875 posts) - - Show Bio

AH!

#3 Posted by i_like_swords (14338 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome

#4 Posted by laflux (15896 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Edited by AllStarSuperman (21850 posts) - - Show Bio

Slade

#6 Edited by k4tzm4n (43910 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@k4tzm4n can we use Udon feats?

Sure, but I think it's safe to say Taskmaster doesn't have double-speed since that's (IIRC) the only time we've seen it used.

Update: just to clarify, he doesn't have his Udon outfit/gear. I'm saying just skill feats -- sans double-speed --are transferable. As for gear, Tasky has his usual 616 situation: bow, sword, basic firearms, shield, etc.

Staff
#7 Posted by highaccuser (6693 posts) - - Show Bio

What exactly is the difference between Udon taskmaster and normal taskmaster?

#8 Edited by Iragexcudder (4875 posts) - - Show Bio

I sorta favor Taskmaster here but Slade is > in almost every aspect..

#9 Edited by Son_of_simba (698 posts) - - Show Bio

@omnicrono said:

Taskmaster may be able to copy Deathstroke's moves, but he can't copy his mind. :)

He doesnt need to. The fact that slade can use a larger percentage of his mind means nothing. In real life all that would do is either kill you or make it hard to focus lol. Taskmaster also has the memories of the fight styles of hundreds of heroes he wouldn't need to copy slade's moves to win and he has better gear in my opinion since he has hawkeyes bow and archery skills,caps shield, black knights sword, spideys web shooters and daredevils billy club. Taskmasters got this one,it wouldn't be easy but it wouldn't be the fight his life either

#10 Posted by MaximumGeyser5 (583 posts) - - Show Bio

Taskmaster

#11 Edited by Omnicrono (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

@son_of_simba said:

He doesnt need to. The fact that slade can use a larger percentage of his mind means nothing. In real life all that would do is either kill you or make it hard to focus lol.

Thanks goodness this isn't real life we are debating then. This is fictional comic books.

#12 Edited by Owie (3736 posts) - - Show Bio

Leaning Slade at the moment. Tasky may be more skilled, but Slade does have a superior tactical brain and superior physicals, which can be a potential weakness for Taskmaster; for instance Elektra's superior speed helped her against him in her first fight against him.

Not sure how the gear stacks up, probably about even in terms of effectiveness if not diversity.

#13 Edited by Son_of_simba (698 posts) - - Show Bio

@omnicrono said:

@son_of_simba said:

He doesnt need to. The fact that slade can use a larger percentage of his mind means nothing. In real life all that would do is either kill you or make it hard to focus lol.

Thanks goodness this isn't real life we are debating then. This is fictional comic books.

Either way his brain power is not a factor here people think that just becouse he can use a large percent of his brain that his on par with guys like lex luthor or dr doom but in reality hes nowhere near it not that intelligence would help him in this battle anyway since taskmasters pretty much kryptonite to most street levelers, martial artists and assassins.However if Deathstroke had time to prepare he would probably stomp

#14 Posted by dontevenblink (464 posts) - - Show Bio

awesome fight! should definitely be close. i picked Slade out of personal preference and his gear might help tip the balance, but it's honestly too hard to tell due to Tasky's skills and abilities.

#15 Posted by Experio (15970 posts) - - Show Bio

65 votes in less than an hour, I think that's a record.

#16 Posted by nickthedevil (12414 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm siding with Deathstroke.

But I'll admit, I was hovering over the Taskmaster button for a few moments. Taskmaster can copy moves to the T, and has done so in a moment's notice, but as been stated numerous times, and even shown, Tasky does not have superhuman powers unlike that of his competitor, who does have superior reflexes, speed and strength; We've seen Taskmaster doesn't stack up evenly to people with superior physicals and skills to boot. Not to say Taskmaster will roll over for Slade either, and it will be one heck of a fight, but Slade should get the majority out of this one. The way Slade thinks though, he will definitely learn this fast and exploit it.

#17 Edited by dondave (37397 posts) - - Show Bio

What exactly is the difference between Udon taskmaster and normal taskmaster?

Better gear and the aforementioned use of Double speed.

#18 Posted by Dedpool (336 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really make a distinction between Udon Taskmaster and regular Taskmaster. Other than the equipment and the one use of double speed, he's pretty much the same. And they've even said the double speed thing can only be done in short bursts, because his body isn't built for it. But what's the major difference between Pre New 52 and New 52 Deathstroke.

#19 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6171 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice! Slade ftw

#20 Posted by Lvenger (19881 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm siding with Deathstroke so far based on his superior physicals and faster brain processes but I'll wait for more arguments to trickle in before actually voting. Tasky's skill advantage and movement copying will make things hard for Slade but Slade has the cards to take a majority over Taskmaster thus far.

I'll be quite interested in @ghostravage's opinion on this Battle of The Week and his view on Gregg's statement that

Sure, but I think it's safe to say Taskmaster doesn't have double-speed since that's (IIRC) the only time we've seen it used.

#21 Edited by dondave (37397 posts) - - Show Bio

@dedpool said:

I don't really make a distinction between Udon Taskmaster and regular Taskmaster. Other than the equipment and the one use of double speed, he's pretty much the same. And they've even said the double speed thing can only be done in short bursts, because his body isn't built for it. But what's the major difference between Pre New 52 and New 52 Deathstroke.

Pre-52 Slade is faster, more skilled than New 52 Deathstroke. While New-52 is more durable and stronger

#22 Posted by G_leno (1005 posts) - - Show Bio

I would slightly edge in Taskmaster for ths fight. The Aquired skills of several other marvel heroes should be enough to make up for the difference in physicals between the pair. Unless Tasky is jobbing, I'd give him 6/10 wins.

#23 Posted by reaverlation (15842 posts) - - Show Bio

Slade in a difficult battle.

#24 Edited by AmazingWebHead (2300 posts) - - Show Bio

Ever wonder what would happen if Juggernaut charged the Blob? Same principle.

#25 Posted by SHAZAM117 (2992 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha. Battle of the buccaneer boots

#26 Posted by HushoftheWind (987 posts) - - Show Bio

Deathstroke might just lose 3 weeks in a row

#27 Posted by chaos911 (1893 posts) - - Show Bio

I called it(so did other people but I'm the only one that matters)! Alright these are both certified BAMFs so I'll wait to later in the week to vote on this

#28 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5054 posts) - - Show Bio

Good Batttle. Could go either way.

#29 Posted by vandinejd_1991 (295 posts) - - Show Bio

This was a really tough choice for me. I considered Deathstroke since he's gone against people who have him outclassed like Legacy, Koschei, Hawkman, and the cyborg samurai guy and won. However, none of those opponents have the ability to copy Slade move for move, the moves of hundreds of other characters memorized, or the weapons that Taskmaster has. All these will absolutely overwhelm Deathstroke.

#30 Posted by laflux (15896 posts) - - Show Bio

I would go with Deathstroke in a good fight.

Funnily enough Udon Taskmaster has another good speed feat, I believe he used Bullseye's moveset to catch a bullet at nigh point blank range (rather than the aforementioned double time). Taskmaster is more skilled, and has a wealth of fighting styles to draw on, but Slade has fought toe to toe with some of DC's best Martial artists. Taskmaster might know more moves, but Slade has fought people who I apply a a wide range of martial arts knowledge, and apply it more efficiently- namely Batman. I think Slade's tactical mindset may be a bit overplayed here, Taskmaster's cockiness may land himself in trouble- and Slade capitalizing on that is more common sense then anything, I think its Slade's physical advantages in healing, durability, speed and I guess strength which will get him the win. I would also say that sans Udon Gear, Slade's gear is more effective.

#31 Posted by blazingwhale (18 posts) - - Show Bio

It has to be Taskmaster in my opinion, he has copied moves from Spider-man, Captain America, Daredevil and many others which will be enough to dodge Slade and learn how he moves to defeat him, not underestimating Slade It just seems that Taskmaster is a superior but less cool version of him.

#32 Edited by Son_of_simba (698 posts) - - Show Bio

@amazingwebhead said:

Juggernaut would tear blob in half leaving only the bottom half of his torso and legs stuck to the ground. Dont see what that has to do with blob and juggs

#33 Posted by Antihero_Jaymok (23 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know about this fight. Fighting task master is like fighting Dare Devil, Captain America, Wolverine, Iron Fist, Black Panther, Dead Pool, Spiderman, Elektra, and the Punisher all rolled up into one (minus the enhanced strength and stuff), and that's only a portion of his fighting skill. People seem to think Deathstroke using a larger percentage of his mind is like Mister X knowing his opponent's move before they make it. And yes, Mister X did beat up on Task Master, but i don't think Slade could even touch Mister X. (Go ahead and get upset at that last line guys...)

#34 Posted by AmazingWebHead (2300 posts) - - Show Bio

@son_of_simba said:

@amazingwebhead said:

Juggernaut would tear blob in half leaving only the bottom half of his torso and legs stuck to the ground. Dont see what that has to do with blob and juggs

...Graphic.

#35 Edited by BeaconofStrength (5456 posts) - - Show Bio

Gonna be a close one, so I think I'd say it's too close too call.

I may make a case for Taskmaster, if no one decides to, though.

#36 Posted by micah (1373 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Can we count the skills he copied/learned in the DC crossovers? Because In those he learned the fighting styles and skills of Batman and Huntress.

#37 Posted by AirDave817 (813 posts) - - Show Bio

Taskmaster's basic power is that he can copy or mimic moves. So, it could be a stalemate up to a point. Until Deathstroke beats Taskmaster by moving quicker. Slade Wilson is an chemically-enhanced super-soldier. So, I'd take The Terminator for the win.

#38 Posted by k4tzm4n (43910 posts) - - Show Bio

@micah said:

@k4tzm4n: Can we count the skills he copied/learned in the DC crossovers? Because In those he learned the fighting styles and skills of Batman and Huntress.

I'd prefer not. A big part of these battles is the fun in knowing they have zero knowledge of each other and thinking about how that would play out.

Staff
#39 Posted by micah (1373 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by JamDamage (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

Id have to go with Tasky on this one. Deathstroke might be more intelligent, but not in the fighting game. I know quite a bit about fighting, and people just think Tasky mimics outright moves, but there's a sooooo much in the way of setting up an opponent to basically run into the other person fist. Deathstroke does this with his tactical brain, but I guarantee Tasky does it do. Throwing punches and kicks is just part of fighting, it's about feints and set ups. These are all fighting techniques, and even tho Deathstroke is great at this, Tasky is better. All else fails he just keeps throwing at Deathstroke in the form of finding that unblockable move. The only thing Deathstroke has going for him is his stamina because I don't care how many move Tasky has, he does not have super endurance in the way of a healing factor and will tire out. You have to tire him out before he guts you tho. I'm going with Taskmaster on this one, but Slade might win the popularity contest here. Taskmaster vs Deathstroke. great fight. I really want the Deathstroke vs Captain America, because I think they pretty much have the same physical powers.

#41 Posted by Pwok21 (2380 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I prefer Taskmaster and he's definitely more skilled but Deathstroke's physicals really make the difference here for the win.

#42 Posted by NukeA6 (474 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted for the guy who beat Batman, stalemated Cassandra Cain, and handled the Teen Titans more than once.

#43 Edited by TheSilentShane (30 posts) - - Show Bio

@owie said:

Leaning Slade at the moment. Tasky may be more skilled, but Slade does have a superior tactical brain and superior physicals, which can be a potential weakness for Taskmaster; for instance Elektra's superior speed helped her against him in her first fight against him.

Not sure how the gear stacks up, probably about even in terms of effectiveness if not diversity.

Then he changed fighting techniques in that fight and schooled her with Daredevil's skill. That's right, an injured Taskmaster beat Elektra with his eyes closed.

Even with his extreme skill and insane tactical genius, I don't think Slade would be prepared to fight with someone like Taskmaster in a random encounter. With preparation and knowledge of the skill sets at Tony's disposal, Slade would be able to formulate a plan of attack. But in a random encounter, Slade just won't be able to keep up with someone who can change his fighting style at will. A lot of Slade's strength in fights like this comes down to his ability to analyze his opponent and formulate a way to counter them mid-battle, but if Tony's constantly switching between very different skill sets and fighting styles, it's going to be increasingly difficult for Slade to cope with that kind of versatility and organized randomness. I'd like to say that his increased physicals give him an advantage, but Tony has proved to be able to cope with people that are vastly stronger than he is; including Captain America, Stature, Ant-Man, Yellowjacket, Bucky, Spider-Woman, assorted Asgardian warriors, Spider-Man, and Iron-Man. He's also no slouch in the durability department. He's been hit by a car and barely reacted, taken bullets with little to no effect, was (as mentioned before) able to beat Elektra after being injured with her sai, took an angry punch from Spider-Man and didn't die, etc. His reflexes are also stellar, capable of catching bullets, dodging through a very tight laser grid, blocking a bullet that was fired by Black Widow with a chain tied around his arm , and catching one of Moon Knight's crescent blades when his back was turned.

Taskmaster's versatility makes it difficult for Deathstroke to use his strategical thinking to its fullest and his superhuman physicality doesn't seem to be much of an advantage given the kind of people Tony has fought. They're both on fairly equal ground when it comes to ranged prowess, but I have a feeling that Tony may have an edge in the ability to dodge; not to mention he has a shield. I give this to Taskmaster, 7/10.

#44 Edited by The Lobster (1512 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to go with Taskmaster.

It wasn't easy. Specially since both Taskmaster and Deathstroke have fought their universe's top superhero team (Avengers and Justice League) all on their own. That's no easy feat. But Taskmaster's photographic reflexes, combined with all of the fighting styles of some of the best fighters in the marvel universe, fighters like Captain America, Iron Fist, Wolverine, Daredevil, etc. It'd be like Deathstroke was fighting half of the marvel universe on his own, with no prep-time.....plus after a few minutes he'd be fighting himself as well. That's a feat, even I think Deathstroke couldn't pull off.

#45 Posted by Frisky4 (130 posts) - - Show Bio

Slade. I don't think Taskmaster's not as strong or fast as Slade. I also don't think Taskmaster is able to copy every move Slade uses because Task just isn't as agile. Taskmaster can't copy Slade's gear either. Slade has some one of a kind weaponry. Most of Taskmaster's weapons are unique too, but if there's someone who can get around Cap's shield, it's Slade. I don't think the aim and weapons of Hawkeye matter that much either. Slade has repeatedly gone up against Green Arrow (who is, in my mind, the better archer), and even held his own in a gun fight against Deadshot. Almost everyone who fights Slade says the same thing: I may as well be standing still. Deathstroke kept up with Kid Flash, and even beat him. Taskmaster just can't move fast enough. If Deadpool can beat Taskmaster, do you really think Deathstroke can't?

#46 Posted by BeaconofStrength (5456 posts) - - Show Bio
@frisky4 said:

Slade. I don't think Taskmaster's not as strong or fast as Slade. I also don't think Taskmaster is able to copy every move Slade uses because Task just isn't as agile. Taskmaster can't copy Slade's gear either. Slade has some one of a kind weaponry. Most of Taskmaster's weapons are unique too, but if there's someone who can get around Cap's shield, it's Slade. I don't think the aim and weapons of Hawkeye matter that much either. Slade has repeatedly gone up against Green Arrow (who is, in my mind, the better archer), and even held his own in a gun fight against Deadshot. Almost everyone who fights Slade says the same thing: I may as well be standing still. Deathstroke kept up with Kid Flash, and even beat him. Taskmaster just can't move fast enough. If Deadpool can beat Taskmaster, do you really think Deathstroke can't?

Why couldn't he? He's already copied moves from Spider-Man, and translated them, so they could work with him. I see no reason why he couldn't copy his moves.

Also, I'd say Taskmaster is just as fast, if not faster than Slade.

#47 Posted by ravisher (690 posts) - - Show Bio

too close

#48 Edited by TheSilentShane (30 posts) - - Show Bio

@frisky4 said:

Slade. I don't think Taskmaster's not as strong or fast as Slade. I also don't think Taskmaster is able to copy every move Slade uses because Task just isn't as agile.

Bold is just plain wrong, sorry, Taskmaster has more than proved equal or superior to Slade in the agility department. He's been able to utilize Daredevil and Spider-Man's agility almost as well as they do themselves.

#49 Posted by Batman404 (98 posts) - - Show Bio

Taskmaster has fighting skills Deathstroke hasn't seen. Countering these skills would be difficult since TM can change up the style at any time. I don't think Deathstroke could keep up and he may even lose his cool out of frustration causing him to slip up and TM would take full advantage. Winner, Taskmaster.

#50 Posted by TheSilentShane (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Taskmaster has fighting skills Deathstroke hasn't seen. Countering these skills would be difficult since TM can change up the style at any time. I don't think Deathstroke could keep up and he may even lose his cool out of frustration causing him to slip up and TM would take full advantage. Winner, Taskmaster.

Also, don't forget he can combine fighting styles as well. One second he might be fighting like Spider-Man, then Daredevil, then Cap, then some terrifying amalgam of Spider-Man, Daredevil, and Cap. And he can perform and change these fighting styles at will.