Battle of the Week VOTING: Deathstroke vs. Hellboy

• 150 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Battle of the Week VOTING: Deathstroke vs. Hellboy (265 votes)

Deathstroke 39%
Hellboy 56%
Too close to call 5%

*Want to vote but you don't have an account? Well, what are you waiting for?! Signing up is beyond simple. CLICK HERE to register and then you'll be able to vote in all of our polls and join the countless discussions. Go on, make an account!*

The deadly mercenary from DC Comics or the powerful demon from Dark Horse Comics? These two are about to duke it out and you can help determine the winner!

Slade Wilson, a.k.a. Deathstroke, the Terminator, is our latest Character of the Month and we've been testing his abilities as a combatant each and every week. He was barely able to defeat Boba Fett and, last week, he lost by a mere 1% against Deadpool. Now, he's coming face-to-face with Mike Mignola'sHellboy. Will the Good Samaritan and Right Hand of Doom keep Wilson down for the count or will the DC character's talent and bladed weapons allow him to overcome this latest opponent? Voting will stay open until Friday morning (ET), so you have plenty of time to think it through.

Match Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter (aka no prep for either side).
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. Assume they start roughly 50 feet apart and visible. There's a fair amount of cover in the location (parked vehicles, bus stops and such). The entire area is on limits. This means alleys, rooftops, building interiors, the sewer, etc.
  • Both characters have standard gear.
  • This is The New52 Deathstroke.
  • Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too.
  • Hey, you know what would be really cool? Treating everyone else in the debate with respect. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. Seriously, this is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging.
  • If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining. Just saying.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs.

Check the homepage this Friday for an updated article with the following:

• Thoughts from the staff.
  • Viner Arguments for both characters (can't include scans and must be in the poll thread).
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Keep your eyes on the homepage for more Deathstroke goodness! We've posted his Best Covers, Must Read Stories and we'll highlight some of his best battles later this week. Want to suggest a future match for Slade Wilson? Tell us below or suggest it via twitter.

• 
Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Sweet battle. I don't know much about Hellboy (Though I have been thinking about picking up his current Dark Horse series) so I'll sit back as viewer on this one.

CosmicOldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Sorry Slade my vote is for HellBoy!

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

I really need to read more Hellboy.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I think Hellboy's abilities and gear would be able to pierce through Deathstroke's armor

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First time I've witnessed Hellboy in a battle, hardly know his feats.

DaredevilDD78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hellboy

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would love to know some feats for Hellboy.Anybody know some experts?

Leafx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, wow, I fear Deathstroke's popularity may get the better of this round again but I vote hellboy. I think it's safe to assume HB is stronger to begin with, Slade is definitely faster, and the two are incredibly resourceful. Slad has Nth metal armour but should he lose it at any time, I think HB is more durable. His right hand also comes in handy here as that thing punches out demonic elderitch horrors, Slade is tough but given Hellboys arsenal coupled with his strength and right arm will take this one.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By IDontLikeBirds

I don't know enough about Hellboy to vote. I'll have to read up on him a bit.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jashro44

Wow. I didn't see this coming at all. Initial thoughts are leaning towards deathstroke but I'll see if I can find some feats and come back to this. Major issue being speed. I'll need to find some speed feats for hellboy.

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: Also call any Hellboy experts if you know any :).

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: Also call any Hellboy experts if you know any :).

@floopay and @veshark are the only other people I know that read hellboy. At least the only other people that read hellboy and comment in the battle forums.

All though I haven't seen veshark in a while.

Avatar image for witchboyofboston
witchboyofboston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By witchboyofboston

Am I the only one who sees the humor in that Ron Perlman has played them both?

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cable_Extreme

Very interesting battle

For the break down stat wise they are pretty close, with Hellboy coming out on top with sheer strength, however Slade shouldn't be taken lightly since he is sporting multiton strength due to his nth metal armor.

Speed wise, Slade should come out on top, he has speed blitzed armed mercs, reacted to gunfire, and manhandled new 52 Hawkman due to his speed.

Durability wise, I'll say Slade has this as well, the reason why is due to the nature of their weaponry. I see this fight coming down to hand to hand in which Slade's armor is exceptionally effective at stopping concussive force (aka punches, explosions etc) which due to Hellboy's arm, is right up Slade's alley in soaking damage, especially after watching his fight with Lobo. Hellboy has amazing concussive force durability as well, but due to the nature of Slade's weaponry (promethium sword) he will be able to use it and get piercing damage which is a completely different type of durability. So Slade respectively gets the edge in durability due to their offensive abilities even though their durability is pretty similar.

Now for the fight, I see Slade's tactical ability to really help in this situation. He hasn't really prepped as much as his pre 52 counterpart, but his on the job tactics is still pretty strong. He has done stuff like create a EMP blast while fighting legacy in a submarine by connecting his sword to a nuclear reactor to get past his shields. I see that Hellboy will try and use his strength advantage this match to overwhelm Slade, but due to Slade's speed advantage as well as his ability to soak Hellboy's punches and weaponry, Slade should come out on top.

pikachumonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KMC has an outdated Hellboy respect thread. Other than that I got nothing.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#16  Edited By GraniteSoldier

I know nothing of Hellboy other than he has a badass revolver so I'll be abstaining from the vote on this one. Hopefully someone knowledgeable on Hellboy makes a good case because I'd like to know more about him, other than his movies which I enjoyed.

@floopay: Aren't you a Hellboy fan?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: That's great. I'll probably dig through the CaV to see what Hellboy can do...

Thanks btw

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: Yeah I just finished looking through it :P

Thanks again though

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this seems like a pretty cool match up k4tz

Now I'll try to go through some categories or basics of the characters from the quick skim I saw of Hellboy

Strength:I can say they are in the same ballpark but Hellboy I can give the advantage, especially with his heavy hand giving him a noticeable edge but Slade for sure does not lack in this department

Durability:Now this can be a little tricky.Hellboy showed impressive durability (from the CaV posted by Don) but Slade has replicated all of those and then some.The properties of the Nth Armor I can say surpasses Hellboy in durability and would give Slade the edge in this department

Speed:I can give Slade the edge here.Slade showing to be fast enough to catch up to motorcycles at speeds that leave afterimages and being able to deflect gunfire without wearing the Nth Armor (Armor that boosts the wearers physical attributes).Though Hellboy showed some good speed feats like blocking gunfire with his Heavy Hand to show he can keep up with Slade.

Skill:From what I saw of both, I can say that either can take this department really. New 52 Slade lacks the skill of his Pre 52 counterpart and Hellboy wasn't impressive from what I saw.

Going overall, I might give the edge to Slade with a 6-7/10.Hellboy for sure will give Slade a great fight but I believe Slade's better speed, comparable strength and durability from the Nth Armor can give Slade the win

Now before I start getting bashed, The CaV I saw for Hellboy was awhile back so Hellboy could've gotten much better so I would love to hear some new feats and info on Big Red

Also Ron Perlman ftw!

chaos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn practically know no one knows hellboy here I'll wait till later to cast my vote

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By G_leno

I'll give the edge to Hellboy, I believe him to be the more durable, superior strength and fast enough to keep up with Slade. Slade keeping his distance would be risky as hellboy has his own firepower. Immunity to fire is a boost to Hellboy's chances too.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#24  Edited By amazing_webhead

So, they're fighting over Ron Perlman?

Whatever. If it's New 52 Deathstroke, my vote automatically goes to Red. Anyone who follows me knows that I have serious issues with the New 52.

Dman535

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If new 52 Deathstroke can survive being hit with a submarine and being blown up while still inside a building, I'm pretty sure deathstroke can tank out some of Hellboy's attacks with his Nth armor. (sry i cant provide scans right now im on my phone.)

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hellboy is too much for Slade.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

Sweet battle. I don't know much about Hellboy (Though I have been thinking about picking up his current Dark Horse series) so I'll sit back as viewer on this one.

If you want to read Hellboy I recommend starting at the beginning.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Very interesting battle

For the break down stat wise they are pretty close, with Hellboy coming out on top with sheer strength, however Slade shouldn't be taken lightly since he is sporting multiton strength due to his nth metal armor.

Speed wise, Slade should come out on top, he has speed blitzed armed mercs, reacted to gunfire, and manhandled new 52 Hawkman due to his speed.

Durability wise, I'll say Slade has this as well, the reason why is due to the nature of their weaponry. I see this fight coming down to hand to hand in which Slade's armor is exceptionally effective at stopping concussive force (aka punches, explosions etc) which due to Hellboy's arm, is right up Slade's alley in soaking damage, especially after watching his fight with Lobo. Hellboy has amazing concussive force durability as well, but due to the nature of Slade's weaponry (promethium sword) he will be able to use it and get piercing damage which is a completely different type of durability. So Slade respectively gets the edge in durability due to their offensive abilities even though their durability is pretty similar.

Now for the fight, I see Slade's tactical ability to really help in this situation. He hasn't really prepped as much as his pre 52 counterpart, but his on the job tactics is still pretty strong. He has done stuff like create a EMP blast while fighting legacy in a submarine by connecting his sword to a nuclear reactor to get past his shields. I see that Hellboy will try and use his strength advantage this match to overwhelm Slade, but due to Slade's speed advantage as well as his ability to soak Hellboy's punches and weaponry, Slade should come out on top.

This until proven otherwise.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

amateur

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux said:

@wolverine08 said:

amateur

Lol never gonna let him slide huh?

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dman535 said:

If new 52 Deathstroke can survive being hit with a submarine and being blown up while still inside a building, I'm pretty sure deathstroke can tank out some of Hellboy's attacks with his Nth armor. (sry i cant provide scans right now im on my phone.)

Here you go.

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The biggest thing to get past is Hellboy's regeneration combined with his enhanced durability. We're talking about a guy who can take artillery machine gun fire from dang near point blank and not really take any damage.

To top it off he has a solid 6-10 tons of strength, is incredibly agile, is actually very fast, and is excellent in hand to hand.

He's also a decent (not great) Marksman.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Gojira2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Gojira2014

@floopay said:

The biggest thing to get past is Hellboy's regeneration combined with his enhanced durability. We're talking about a guy who can take artillery machine gun fire from dang near point blank and not really take any damage.

To top it off he has a solid 6-10 tons of strength, is incredibly agile, is actually very fast, and is excellent in hand to hand.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

FEATS or it never happen.

Seriously I know little of Hell Boy and love to see feats as to why i should vote for him :)

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gojira2014: I can vouch for Floopay's post. I've read every single issue pretty much of anything Hellboy related, barring some company crossovers. I'm actually surprised Hellboys winning by that margin. To me Deathstroke is far more popular on this site, I'd figure he'd be leading the polls. But I went with Hellboy, I think he's a little out of Slades league.

Gojira2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gojira2014: I can vouch for Floopay's post. I've read every single issue pretty much of anything Hellboy related, barring some company crossovers. I'm actually surprised Hellboys winning by that margin. To me Deathstroke is far more popular on this site, I'd figure he'd be leading the polls. But I went with Hellboy, I think he's a little out of Slades league.

Still someone either needs to make a respect thread or put up feats. Hellboy is a big comic but unknown in debates.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By micah007123

I think I may go with Hellboy

@floopay said:

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

FEATS or it never happen.

Seriously I know little of Hell Boy and love to see feats as to why i should vote for him :)

Every little bit helps, a little unfair to say it never happened IMO.

Dman535

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Dman535
micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By micah007123

Here's a Durability/Endurance feat: He is captured and tortured for several hours while being routinely shocked with enough energy to light a city. During all of this he remains conscious and seems to take minimal damage.

No Caption Provided

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Floopay

@gojira2014: @micah: Typing everything now, give me about 10-20 minutes.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Gojira2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Gojira2014
jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@floopay said:

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

HIs durability should be over come very easily. Slades sword has cut military jets apart in the new 52. Even in the bullet feat your talking about he had to cover his face. I just went through my issues (a quick skim admittedly) to look for feats and to be honest he's been hurt by arrows during the darkness calls arc. Yes he took gun fire but he had to cover his face with the right hand of doom IIRC and Slade has also taken gunfire before... Slade is going to take his head off with his sword. And what speed and agility, and skill feats does hellboy have that compare to deathstrokes? I don't recall any feats which even come close to deathstroke in those categories.

Honestly the only advantages I recall hellboy having are strength and healing. The former of which isn't very helpful due to Slades armor. Maybe his magic charms will work but Nth metal in DC is suppose to negate magic so thats not guaranteed either.

TehStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hellboy

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

@floopay said:

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

HIs durability should be over come very easily. Slades sword has cut military jets apart in the new 52. Even in the bullet feat your talking about he had to cover his face. I just went through my issues (a quick skim admittedly) to look for feats and to be honest he's been hurt by arrows during the darkness calls arc. Yes he took gun fire but he had to cover his face with the right hand of doom IIRC and Slade has also taken gunfire before... Slade is going to take his head off with his sword. And what speed and agility, and skill feats does hellboy have that compare to deathstrokes? I don't recall any feats which even come close to deathstroke in those categories.

Honestly the only advantages I recall hellboy having are strength and healing. The former of which isn't very helpful due to Slades armor. Maybe his magic charms will work but Nth metal in DC is suppose to negate magic so thats not guaranteed either.

Hellboys durability is difficult to peg. Sometimes he's shown being injured by an arrow or a sword through the chest, but next he's shown being thrashed around by werewolves, demons and gods but keeps on ticking LOL

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jashro44

@micah said:

Hellboys durability is difficult to peg. Sometimes he's shown being injured by an arrow or a sword through the chest, but next he's shown being thrashed around by werewolves, demons and gods but keeps on ticking LOL

This is true. But he's never taken stabbing damage of this level:

No Caption Provided

I honestly can't see Slade losing here....He's durable enough to take hellboys hits and he has the damage output needed to put him down. That along with his skill and speed pretty much guarantee him the win....

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The biggest thing for Deathstroke to bypass here is going to be Hellboy's durability. Not only is hard to HURT the guy in the first place, but his durability is backed by a Wolverine level healing factor.

To top it off, Hellboy comes with a solid 10+ ton level of strength, and is actually superhuman in terms of agility and speed.

Note: I totally stole most of these from around the web. I have the first 7 volumes of Hellboy lying around, but I just do not feel like photographing them or scanning them.

The Feats:

Hellboy often fights these frog-demons throughout the first couple volumes. They can't match him in strength, but they're also not far enough below him that overpowering them is easy. They also are far faster (I'd put them at about Toad level, from the x-men) and more agile.

I've strung a bunch of his fights back to back, these are not all from the same fights. You can see him surviving from great heights, getting thrown around, and quite a bit more.

The two most noteworthy feats, however, are the last two. I posted one of him taking a grenade in his bare hand (NOT THE RIGHT HAND OF DOOM BTW!!!) and shoving it down the demon's throat. Without releasing the grenade, it explodes in his hand and in it's body without harming him in the least. In the last scan, he's kicking over and breaking a pillar a few times his size.

List of Fights vs. Frog Demons

Here's the most note-worthy fight against the frog demons. He notes how fast the thing is, but actually is bold enough to state he is faster. This is, more than likely, due to skill. Contrary to popular belief, Hellboy is quite the brawler, a decent swordsman, and a decent Marksman.

He's able to overpower this one much easier, and throw it through a sarcophagus. He is then able to pull a gun and shoot it through the shoulder when it bolts through the window, and it's disintegrated by the time it hits the floor.

Noteworthy Frog-Demon Fight

Here he is against a Stone Giant. These things tower over the tree tops and have strength/durability to match. Hellboy is able to snap off a tree and throw it like a giant wooden stake into the thing's neck. Which is a pretty decent showing of strength. The thing then picks him up, beats on him for awhile, then squeezes him as hard as it can, and then it dies. Hellboy gets up almost completely unharmed.

Hellboy kills a Giant

Here are quite a few showings of him going up against all sorts of projectiles. He takes magical arrows from a centuries old warrior (who he later defeats in a sword battle IIRC), and they are disappearing out of him between panels. Seeing as he's carrying a relatively full load, that tells us those arrows are just falling out due to his healing factor.

There is also a showing of him taking sniper shots, as well as heavy artillery machine gun fire. Considering mounted machine guns are meant to shred through modern body armor like paper, and cut through...well...other heavy artillery weapons. It's a pretty good showing of his durability. Notice how Hellboy isn't even HURT by these rounds.

Random out of order Durability Showings

Here is a showing of him against a werewolf. Notice how people comment as to why he bothers with a gun when his fastball can arguably match-up with it (turning the head of a statue into a bullet-like projectile). He fights this thing toe to toe until he picks up a metal rod and uses it like a sword.

Hellboy kills werewolf

Here he fights an Anubis-demon. It smacks him around for a bit and then he uses a sign to put it down. Which later causes a tremendous explosion (which was complete WIS, as the there was no reason for that flammable thing to explode) for him to survive.

Hellboy kills Anubis Demon

And this is something that should be noted. Even when fully impaled through the chest and abdomen, Hellboy remains conscious and survives. Even after a tremendous fall, he's still fully conscious, fully healed, and ready to fight (Anubis fight happens after this IIRC).

Hellboy the Unkillable

Overall

Strength and Durability are Hellboy's advantage in strides here. That, paired with his healing factor, gives him an amount of damage soak that will be INCREDIBLY difficult for Deathstroke to bypass.

However, lets be objective here. Hellboy is fast, agile, is a gifted hand to hand fighters, a great swordsman, and a decent marksman. That being said, speed, skill (all around), intelligence, and agility all go to Slade Wilson here.

I have no doubts Deathstroke can hurt Hellboy, and I have no doubts Hellboy can tag Deathstroke. That being said, it's going to take a lot more on Deathstroke's part to actually put Hellboy in a position where he's both hurt AND feeling it, and most of that damage is NOT going to last. On the other hand, Deathstroke's damage soak, and healing factor are nowhere near the same caliber. Even with the superior skill, speed, agility, intelligence, and arsenal, Deathstroke is going to have an extremely difficult time doing lasting damage against Hellboy.

I, personally, am leaning towards Hellboy. While I have no doubts Deathstroke will tag Hellboy FAR more often than Hellboy will tag Slade, I firmly believe Hellboy's blows will be a lot more meaningful than Slade's. To top it off, Hellboy has an indestructible right arm that will nullify blow against it, and Hellboy uses that thing as a shield.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By micah007123

@jashro44 said:

@micah said:

This is true. But he's never taken stabbing damage of this level:

No Caption Provided

I honestly can't see Slade losing here....He's durable enough to take hellboys hits and he has the damage output needed to put him down. That along with his skill and speed pretty much guarantee him the win....

He survived this injury and kept on fighting.

No Caption Provided

pikachumonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Deathstroke can take him.