Battle of the Week VOTING: Deathstroke vs. Boba Fett

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Battle of the Week VOTING: Deathstroke vs. Boba Fett (402 votes)

Boba Fett 44%
Deathstroke 48%
Too close to call 8%

Boba Fett has earned his reputation as one of the galaxy's most feared bounty hunters. He's stood up to Darth Vader and faced many other kinds of threats, but does this high tech character have what it takes to bring down our latest Character of the Month?

Yes, we all know Boba Fett is basically useless in the movies. He looks cool and then he gets demolished by a blind Han Solo. How can that stand up to Slade Wilson, right? Well, we're not using just movie Fett! In this battle, we're taking into account all of the bounty hunter's showings in the expanded universe, as well. If you're going to vote, please take those into consideration. Now, whether that'll be enough to bring down the mercenary from DC has yet to be determined, but you can play a part in picking the outcome! Go read the rules -- they give important details like where they're fighting and what not -- and then cast your vote when you've made up your mind.

Match Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter (aka no prep for either side).
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. Assume they start roughly 100 feet apart and visible. There's a fair amount of cover in the location (parked vehicles, bus stops and such). The entire area is on limits. This means alleys, rooftops, building interiors, the sewer, etc.
  • Boba Fett has all of his standard gear. No vehicles, obviously.
  • This is pre-52 Deathstroke and he also has his standard gear.
  • Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too.
  • Hey, you know what would be really cool? Treating everyone else in the debate with respect. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. Seriously, this is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging.
  • If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining. Just saying.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to be selected as the Viner Argument of the Week. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs.

Check the homepage this Friday for an updated article with the following:

• Thoughts from the staff.
  • Viner Arguments for both characters (can't include scans and must be in the poll thread).
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Keep your eyes on the homepage for more Deathstroke goodness! We'll have his Best Covers posted this Friday, too. Want to suggest a future match for Slade Wilson? Tell us below or suggest it via twitter.

• 
Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Interesting...I shall have to think on this one. Looks good k4tz!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
Jack_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Boba Fett should take this. If he has all of his standard gear, that would include his Mandalorian "Beskar" armor that he acquired later in his life, which is durable enough to stand up to a slash from a lightsaber, meaning Deathstroke's weapons shouldn't do that much to hurt him. Taking into account his more advanced weaponry and his considerable skill, he should be able to edge out a win. I'll allow someone else to post a more detailed argument for Fett, but with his superior weaponry and high combat aptitude, he could conceivably beat Deathstroke at least 7/10 times.

kidman560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 27

#5  Edited By kidman560

i dont know hasnt Boba Fett fought some high level Jedi before... i do know he helped train Jaina Solo for her fight against her Brother @i_like_swords right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@kidman560: I've only really read Boba's comics. I'm not sure of what he does in the post-ROTJ novels. Although it is to my understanding that he was responsible for some of Jaina's training, including lightsaber training. I'm actually more well versed on Jango than Boba so I'm not 100% sure on how to call this one. @fetts should definitely chime in though since he seems pretty knowledgeable on both characters.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n:

Well, we're not using just movie Fett! In this battle, we're taking into account all of the bounty hunter's showings in the expanded universe, as well.

Does this include his showings from The Force Unleashed II comics? TFU has essentially been scrubbed out of Star Wars altogether at this point, even the original Legends EU. But, it does provide Boba with some useful feats, and I like to think of them as showings that Boba could pull off, even if he didn't, if you know what I mean.

Also, nice battle. I was sort of peeved that Slade got BotW over some others but this is definitely the next best thing.

kidman560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kidman560
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@i_like_swords: If you believe they're feats Fett should be able to duplicate, then I say go for it.

Thanks.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've not read any of Boba's EU stories. What kind of martial arts skill is he packing? Does he have enhanced physicals comparable to Slade's?

Alakemega123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think boba shoul win due to his superior technology, armor, and his reflexes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've not read any of Boba's EU stories. What kind of martial arts skill is he packing? Does he have enhanced physicals comparable to Slade's?

(Note: The following isn't taking the novels into consideration, so read this knowing that there may be more to see)

Unarmed isn't really his forte. I mean, credit where credits due, Fett isn't useless in unarmed. He dropped a lightsaber wielding and charging Rahm Kota with a single strike and has thrown down here and there with various bounty hunters, but still Slade is quite superior in this category. Likewise he will only have "peak human" physicals, not enhanced like Slade's. Although, he is very physically capable in part due to his inherent genes. For instance, Jango Fett kicked a durasteel door down, so it's more than plausible that his clone who he personally trained, who inherits near enough all of his useful combat traits (like marksmanship), could do it too. Slade is definitely superior strength and durability when speaking only of physicality though, and would have some kind of edge in speed although not a massive one.

No Caption Provided

In the Star Wars universe lasers are considered outdated as weapons, and conventional firearms are completely archaic. While blaster fire has never been given an official speed, it is more than inferable that their velocity is much higher than that of a bullet. As you can see, Fett had no problem dodging this type of projectile from X-Wing/Y-Wing Starfighter cannons. He's also been able to react to being speedblitzed by a deformed Starkiller clone, who at the very least will have all the basic faculties of a Force User (precognition, superhuman speed, enhanced perception time ect).

As you can see, Boba is never without a weapon. Which brings me onto my next point - weaponry. This is where Fett excels, and while I don't think he would overwhelm Deathstroke easily, he could definitely strain him. The fight below is a perfect example of why the Fetts are never unarmed:

No Caption Provided

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@i_like_swords: Where was it ever stated TFU was non-canon to Legends?

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deathstroke, via being more popular

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Boba has bettered weapons, so I think he's win.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnicrono said:

Oh and eh, while it's not of too much use, it is worth noting that Boba was taught martial arts by Jango, as per The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia. Jango being the guy who did this:

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Deathstroke, via being more popular

No Caption Provided

And the Boba Fett fans weep.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: Where was it ever stated TFU was non-canon to Legends?

Oh man.. I just realized how mixed up my sources are. I think TFU actually is canon to Legends. This is what I found posted on IGN:

[IMG]

So.. it's been scrubbed out of the main universe, but not Legends. Ah well, least Boba has his feats.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Wolverine008

@i_like_swords: Laugh now, but eventually due to the power of popularity, Boba will get "stroked".

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dimitridkatsis

Get real people, Pre 52 Deathstroke gets the better of various superhumans with different super powers, there's no way Fett is keeping his distance.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: Nope. Us Boba fans will stick together and bombard you mainstreamers with overwhelming sound logic, at which point you will get "Fett" up and leave.

Gojira2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for Fetts as I like Star Wars and cant wait for him to be in the new movies. "Finger Cross" Boba is pretty much at a range advantage this fight though.

Also if this was new 52 Deathstroke with Pre 52, that might made me change my mind as his durability is godly.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: Deathstroke more popular than Boba Fett?...idk...that would be an interesting poll thread unto itself.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In that setting Fett has to get close in alleys abandoned buildings etc. he just can't win here.Dodging sabers by (featless?) jedis? Try avoiding superman or Flash. How much damage those blasters gonna do suppose he gets hit? He took a full blast by Starfire and beat her.

kidman560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think Boba Fett should take this

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Its not even close, Deathstroke has a slew of moments where he gets to be totally badass taking on dozens of superheroes at the same time with nothing but his wits and his sword (occasionally staff).

Fett on the other hand... He had Solo handed over to him by Darth Vader, then got himself shot and eaten.

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go Deathstroke!

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its not even close, Deathstroke has a slew of moments where he gets to be totally badass taking on dozens of superheroes at the same time with nothing but his wits and his sword (occasionally staff).

Fett on the other hand... He had Solo handed over to him by Darth Vader, then got himself shot and eaten.

Its specifically stated in the article:

Yes, we all know Boba Fett is basically useless in the movies. He looks cool and then he gets demolished by a blind Han Solo. How can that stand up to Slade Wilson, right? Well, we're not using just movie Fett! In this battle, we're taking into account all of the bounty hunter's showings in the expanded universe, as well. If you're going to vote, please take those into consideration.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He did claw himself out of the belly of the Sarlac beast you know. That's pretty hardcore.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jashro44

Also is anyone else having glitches with the polls? I've voted 3 times so far...

No Caption Provided

GodOfMischief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As already stated, we're not just talking about the film version of Boba Fett here, but the expanded universe as well.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: I honestly don't care about fanfiction feats.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you're going to discount the expanded universe, even though the OP says to take them into account? Really?

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Wyldsong

@jashro44 said:
@outside_85 said:

So you're going to discount the expanded universe, even though the OP says to take them into account? Really?

Seems that is the case.

@outside_85 said:

That's not fanfiction. The EU is a whole entity of marketed materials, games, comics, novels so forth and so on. It is a money making machine. It is not just some random fan writing something up and posting it on the internet. And while you may not care about the EU, it was specifically stated that EU feats are to be considered. So, if you are blatantly ignoring the EU feats, then in effect, your opinion has no bearing on the actual battle thread as it was presented.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Isn't The Fett basically a walking plot device? I haven't read any EU stuff with him.

unlondun14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*cough* identity crisis *cough* :)

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Star Wars fan in me says Boba Fett, but.......

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wyldsong: It's fanfiction thats been paid for, that's the only difference between the EU and the countless authors that make up sites like fanfiction.net. How else are you going to explain characters like Palpatine being a walking star destroyer in the books while barely being able to move up and down a flight of stairs in the movies?

@jashro44: I am.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wyldsong: It's fanfiction thats been paid for, that's the only difference between the EU and the countless authors that make up sites like fanfiction.net. How else are you going to explain characters like Palpatine being a walking star destroyer in the books while barely being able to move up and down a flight of stairs in the movies?

Gotcha, everyone is vulnurable to STAIRS.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really doesn't matter if the expanded universe is canon or not, the OP says its allowed so its allowed. This really isn't up for debate.

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Wyldsong

@outside_85 said:

Then if you are choosing to ignore the feats that have specifically been allowed by the creator of this very thread, then your opinion here is an invalid one. It is not fanfiction, it is an official, marketed, and licensed entity. You may stick your fingers in yours and scream to the heavens that it isn't so, but it still is not fanfiction. It may not be canon to the source material (the movies), but it holds it's own canon, which is why there is often a distinction made in battle threads when using Star Wars as to whether or not EU is allowed. Since it is being allowed, it is to be considered. To deny or refuse that based on ones personal perception is simply inane and silly, since the OP makes the rules for the thread, not you.

Since your stance seems unwavering even in light of what is being pointed out to you, further discussion between us would be pointless. So, have a pleasant day, and I will just let it go.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Fett matched Darth freaking Vader in a lightsaber match. 'Nuff said.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Would Fett's jetpack count as a vehicle? Because he loses a lot of mobility without it.

nerdchore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dimitridkatsis: considering he's killed jedi and taken down multiple assassin droids, im sure he can out dodge slade.

kidman560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By kidman560

@i_like_swords: im worried that because Deathstroke is more popular he will win this... even though i see Boba Fett wining this due to his extremely advanced weaponry and greater speed

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fett matched Darth freaking Vader in a lightsaber match. 'Nuff said.

This is non canon. Even in the expanded universe its still considered non canon.