Battle of the Week VOTING: Black Panther vs. Deathstroke

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Battle of the Week VOTING: Black Panther vs. Deathstroke (504 votes)

Black Panther 53%
Deathstroke 40%
Too close to call 7%

*Want to vote but you don't have an account? Well, what are you waiting for?! Signing up is beyond simple. CLICK HERE to register and then you'll be able to vote in all of our polls and join the countless discussions. Go on, make an account!*

Slade Wilson, a.k.a. Deathstroke, is our latest Character of the Month and it's his final week in the spotlight. The Terminator's had a good run -- we've shared his must read stories, best covers, and best battles -- but it'll soon be time for him to step aside and let another character receive all of the attention. However, before he waves goodbye, we're going to put him in one heck of a fight. Can Slade Wilson defeat T'Challa, a.k.a. Black Panther, or will his opponent from Marvel prevail? You have plenty of time to give this one some thought, so go read the rules and then cast your vote once you've made up your mind.

Match Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter (aka no prep for either side).
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. Assume they start roughly 30 feet apart and visible. There's a fair amount of cover in the location (parked vehicles, bus stops and such). The entire area is on limits. This means alleys, rooftops, building interiors, the sewer, etc.
  • Black Panther: has his enhanced physicals (provided by the herb) and his traditional gear (vibranium micro weave, energy daggers, anti-metal claws, etc.).
  • To keep things as balanced as possible, Deathstroke has his New 52 gear and skill feats from pre-52 are applicable.
  • Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too.
  • Hey, you know what would be really cool? Treating everyone else in the debate with respect. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. Seriously, this is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging.
  • If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining. Just saying.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs.

Check the homepage this Friday for an updated article with the following:

• Thoughts from the staff.
  • Viner Arguments for both characters (can't include scans and must be in the poll thread).
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Want to suggest a match for an upcoming battle of the week? Tell us below or share it via twitter.

• 
Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Damn, T'Challa is wrecking the polls right now.

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

How the hell is Deathstroke losing so bad come on people, we need more votes for "The World's Greatest Killer" @cable_extreme

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

How did you put the pics close together like that?

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Gracetrack

@wolverine08 said:.

Batman and Deathstroke are two different people, so I wouldn't say that because one has shown most of his abilities from his Pre 52 days, the other should as well. In terms of strength and durability New 52 Slade has shown himself better than his Pre 52 counterpart, but his speed has yet to match up. Maybe he will eventually show himself superior like has with strength and durability, but he simply hasn't. IMO, it's just better to work with what has been presented rather than trying to say what a character should be able to do.

If it was a case where all or most of DC's characters had long-established abilities that dramatically changed after the New 52 jump, then I probably wouldn't even be questioning. Believe it or not, I'm trying to work with what has been presented. In Slade's case - most of his long-standing abilities (reflexes, strength, agility, healing, stamina, durability) seem to have been presented as either equal or superior (so far) to what was presented pre-52, not inferior. I think it's more reasonable to assume, in the absence of enough telling New 52 speed feats, that his speed is probably equal to what it was pre-52, and that it is less reasonable to assume it has been significantly decreased simply because we haven't yet seen high-end speed feats comparable to his high-end pre-52 ones. Just my opinion.

king1_icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BP wins. He has to much he brings to the table. he knows every fighting style on earth. he beat both black dwaf and a super scroll

Avatar image for twix_right_side
Twix_Right_Side

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Panther imo

And because Wolverine08 is killing it.

And based off of feats,I've seen far more consistent impressive feats from BP than from DS

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

totally called there would be 1 more btw.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For anyone making a case for Black Panther, remember he just had a massive upgrade in the physicals department. I dare say he may be able to outpower Slade.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@omnicrono:

Believe it or not, I'm trying to work with what has been presented. In Slade's case - most of his long-standing abilities (reflexes, strength, agility, healing, stamina, durability) seem to have been presented as either equal or superior (so far) to what was presented pre-52, not inferior.

But Pre 52 Deathstroke and New 52 Deathstroke are two different people with different origins, so why are we using one as a measuring stick for the other and along with a "Anything you can do, I can do better" line of logic?

I think it's more reasonable to assume, in the absence of enough telling New 52 speed feats, that his speed is probably equal to what it was pre-52, and that it is less reasonable to assumable it has been significantly decreased simply because we haven't yet seen high-end speed feats comparable to his high-end pre-52 ones.

My biggest problem here is that this all goes back to an assumption. Granted, the line of logic used in the assumption isn't terrible, but it's still an assumption at the end of the day. We don't use things like assumptions when working with debates so as to avoid disagreements like the one occurring right now which will be based on different viewings of possibilities and I don't see why Slade should be exception to the feat based evaluation we use for judging character's capabilties. I am not saying that New 52 Deathstroke has had his speed decreased because he isn't even the same guy as Pre 52. If I want to make an assumption of my own, New 52 Slade's feats of strength, durability, etc. are just as good as, if not better than his Pre 52 counterpart, so maybe the fact that his speed showings just mean his creators don't think of him as being that fast? Multiple assumptions can be used if we continue like that. K4tz has let it be known what Slade has been allowed to carry over from his Pre 52 days(Skill feats) ans I think we should draw the line at that.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Wolverine008
cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61  Edited By cameron83

Panther.

He is just as good,if not better,than Deathstroke in most every physical category (the only one I'll give to DS is strength). And his equipment is more than enough to take much of what Slade can dish out (and even deliver worse).

Not only that,but he takes the skill edge (imo)

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol @wolverine08 can you comment on my winter soldier vs deadpool thread I tagged you in it by the way so you can just check your mail

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By micah007123

BP managed to take out a Super-Skrull which had Luke Cage's Skin, Wolverine's Claws, Danny Rand's Iron Fist, and Bullseye's aim along with the fighting styles of Captain America, Moon Knight, Shang Chi, Daredevil, Elektra, and Black Panther himself. He was also highly distracted during the fight and once he got serious he dissected it. I'm not making an argument just yet, but I thought It would be worth showing and displaying.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@lvenger said:

I'll wait to see more thoughts posted on here by those who know the characters well before I come to a decision myself.

same

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By darktiger

@micah: Thats a excellent feat I know but the skill edge between deathstroke and black panther is not that big and speed wise, i don't think black panther is faster then ds

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not gonna lie in almost every battle thread with Black Panther fighting another street level character, he seems to always take the majority, is he that much of an uber tier street leveler? I'm honestly surprise nobody brought up the fight BP had with Rider(not Batman).

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

The King of Wakanda will preside over Slade's burial.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By cameron83

@hushofthewind said:

Not gonna lie in almost every battle thread with Black Panther fighting another street level character, he seems to always take the majority, is he that much of an uber tier street leveler? I'm honestly surprise nobody brought up the fight BP had with Rider(not Batman).

With his increased damage output (because of his vibranium knives and claws,which the former were capable of piercing Terrax's skin,and his claws break down any metal on the molecular level) and increased durability (can take hits from an enraged Iron Fist,Terrax,a blast from Phoenix Force Namor,and other cases off the top of my head),he hardly qualifies as street leveler.

And his recent suit can teleport,make force fields,turn invisible,and other things.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cable_extreme: his armor amplifying him is hard to quantify still, but if it can be shown that BP gets tagged by people equal to pre 52 Slade, then it just means it would be definite that the armor would give him the edge in the speed department.

The antimetal claws though is where everything goes South for Slade imo.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By micah007123

@darktiger said:

@micah: Thats a excellent feat I know but the skill edge between deathstroke and black panther is not that big and speed wise, i don't think black panther is faster then ds

Well in regards to speed, Spider-Man compared his speed to Black Panthers and was surprised at just how fast he was. BP has been shown outmaneuvering Human Torch, closing the distance and taking down Cyclops before he could even fire his optic blast, and has danced around Wolverine. More recently he was shown keeping up with and fighting on par with a Batman analogue in New Avengers.

I would say their both equal in the speed department, but in terms of speed I'm still leaning towards BP for a majority.

NoAudio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By NoAudio

The Black Panther has far better equipment. He has his vibranium suit and anti metal claws, as well as a force field, short range teleportation, and his energy daggers. He even has the knowledge of all of the black panthers that have come before him. T'Challa is a born and bred warrior and one of the best tactical minds in the world so I am going to have to go with The Black Panther

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By jashro44

OK to be honest I was going to make a case for black panther because I thought he was going to get underrated.....Wasn't expecting these poll results. I feel Slade is being underrated now....

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

@cable_extreme: his armor amplifying him is hard to quantify still, but if it can be shown that BP gets tagged by people equal to pre 52 Slade, then it just means it would be definite that the armor would give him the edge in the speed department.

The antimetal claws though is where everything goes South for Slade imo.

True

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

OK to be honest I was going to make a case for black panther because I thought he was going to get underrated.....Wasn't expecting these poll results.

Still do it.

It's only a matter of hours (or probably a day) before people downplay him,and scream that he's only winning because of popularity and whatnot.

I mean,considering that some people think that Robin can take him (some people,thank god not most) or that most other street levelers can take him,I would still encourage you to do it if you can,or if you want.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: super skrulls kind of got owned left and right during secret invasion... They had more power and greater numbers and they all got their butts kicked by fewer heroes with less power.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

@micah: super skrulls kind of got owned left and right during secret invasion... They had more power and greater numbers and they all got their butts kicked by fewer heroes with less power.

Yeah but this was one that was specifically made to take out Panther, it wasn't just fodder on the battlefield. It was one of the commanders of the invasion of Wakanda itself, so it's still a highly impressive feat.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By micah007123

@cameron83 said:

@jashro44 said:

OK to be honest I was going to make a case for black panther because I thought he was going to get underrated.....Wasn't expecting these poll results.

Still do it.

It's only a matter of hours (or probably a day) before people downplay him,and scream that he's only winning because of popularity and whatnot.

I mean,considering that some people think that Robin can take him (some people,thank god not most) or that most other street levelers can take him,I would still encourage you to do it if you can,or if you want.

I highly agree with this statement.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Gracetrack

But Pre 52 Deathstroke and New 52 Deathstroke are two different people with different origins, so why are we using one as a measuring stick for the other and along with a "Anything you can do, I can do better" line of logic?

Because "different origin" does not necessarily equate to "completely different character." In fact, as far as the New 52 "reboot" goes, so far that has almost never been the case. Yes, every New 52 character has had his/her origins modified to a degree (personalities, motivations, etc). However, their longstanding superhero abilities/traits... those staples/defining traits that make them superheroes... have pretty much remained the same in most cases. They are essentially the same characters with a few tweaks here and there to their origins, abilities, and personalities. So yes, I believe we can still use pre-52 as a measuring stick (to a degree) where longstanding abilities/staples of a character are concerned.

As for everything else you said, I am in agreement.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Take away the anti metal claws and I'll say it's 50/50, but vibranium mesh suit and antimetal claws that will cut through his armor like a hot knife through butter, I would have to say BP wins solely due to gear. It's close otherwise.

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sadly, I think Deathstroke has found his superior :O @micah

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

Still do it.

I haven't seen too many people down play black panther. I remember some of the comments I read in the does batman always win article annoyed me (not everyones just a few) but I guess black panthers gotten some respect since then. I guess this is a good thing. I'll state my thoughts later probably.

All though the poll should be a lot closer IMO.

@slimj87d said:

This is true. I agree that it doesn't show off his skill so much but I think it shows his tactical ability pretty well. Black Panther did admit that he couldn't out fight the skrull so he survived long enough to pick up on weaknesses. He figured that the skrull could only use one power at a time and that it had "tells" (such as a subtle shift in weight), and he struck the skrull when it was vulnerable.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By micah007123

@slimj87d said:

Take away the anti metal claws and I'll say it's 50/50, but vibranium mesh suit and antimetal claws that will cut through his armor like a hot knife through butter, I would have to say BP wins solely due to gear. It's close otherwise.

I wouldn't say solely due to gear. BP physicals are on par with Slades especially after becoming the Panther God. I would also say his skill is slightly above Slades.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: thanks for the context, it's definitely a tactical showing that can be used here.

I'm sure BP is smart enough to notice that as the antimetal claws damage the Nth armor, he'll notice Slade speed and strength may begin to decrease.

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By darktiger

@micah: could you comment on my Winter Soldier vs Deadpool thread just search Winter Soldier Vs Deadpool Comicvine on google

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By micah007123

Sadly, I think Deathstroke has found his superior :O @micah

I try LOL

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@k4tzm4n: Is this current King of the Dead Black Panther?

BoringPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By BoringPerson

@hushofthewind said:

Honestly, the only street level I can think of that unarguably takes a majority against Black Panther is Midnighter.

And that's why I sometimes think Midnighter should be considered mid-tier even with his lackluster durability and pure physical strength.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By jashro44

@micah said:

For anyone making a case for Black Panther, remember he just had a massive upgrade in the physicals department. I dare say he may be able to outpower Slade.

Just in regards to this Hickman said the only difference between king of the dead black panther and heart shaped herb black panther, is that king of the dead has more experience (due to being connected to all the past panthers), and he "might be slightly stronger":

No Caption Provided

Also the OP says its heart shaped herb black panther as well.

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 dude I haven't talked to you in like forever man we gotta catch up man like forreal I just got back on the vine a couple days ago

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

@micah said:

Just in regards to this Hickman said the only difference between king of the dead black panther and heart shaped herb black panther, is that king of the dead has more experience (due to being connected to all the past panthers), and he "might be slightly stronger":

No Caption Provided

Also the OP says its heart shaped herb black panther as well.

I just saw that thank you. Thank goodness I made most of my arguments on herb Wakanda LOL.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By sasquatch888

@wolverine08: but that wasn't my point, at all.

I am saying that those stats will be enhanced by his armor, he is already sporting great speed. But I never claimed a speed superiority, I was asking if his pre-52 speed (which is superior to his new 52) was also applicable here. If so, Slade easily has a speed advantage, but if not, Slade greatly loses in the speed department.

And I still don't see how tagging kid flash repeatedly while fighting the rest of the teen titans, and dodging multiple laser weapons isn't impressive.

im pretty sure black panther would wipe the floor with the teen titans so those feats arent really a biggie

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BP is superior.

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Month is almost over. I'm guessing next will be either sidekicks or arch-enemies.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 dude I haven't talked to you in like forever man we gotta catch up man like forreal I just got back on the vine a couple days ago

Sure. How have you been?

@micah said:

I just saw that thank you. Thank goodness I made most of my arguments on herb Wakanda LOL.

No problem.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I think Iron Fist takes this.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points