This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 4 months, 20 days ago

Poll: Battle of the Week VOTING: Black Panther vs. Deathstroke (444 votes)

Black Panther 57%
Deathstroke 35%
Too close to call 7%

*Want to vote but you don't have an account? Well, what are you waiting for?! Signing up is beyond simple. CLICK HERE to register and then you'll be able to vote in all of our polls and join the countless discussions. Go on, make an account!*

Slade Wilson, a.k.a. Deathstroke, is our latest Character of the Month and it's his final week in the spotlight. The Terminator's had a good run -- we've shared his must read stories, best covers, and best battles -- but it'll soon be time for him to step aside and let another character receive all of the attention. However, before he waves goodbye, we're going to put him in one heck of a fight. Can Slade Wilson defeat T'Challa, a.k.a. Black Panther, or will his opponent from Marvel prevail? You have plenty of time to give this one some thought, so go read the rules and then cast your vote once you've made up your mind.

Match Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter (aka no prep for either side).
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. Assume they start roughly 30 feet apart and visible. There's a fair amount of cover in the location (parked vehicles, bus stops and such). The entire area is on limits. This means alleys, rooftops, building interiors, the sewer, etc.
  • Black Panther: has his enhanced physicals (provided by the herb) and his traditional gear (vibranium micro weave, energy daggers, anti-metal claws, etc.).
  • To keep things as balanced as possible, Deathstroke has his New 52 gear and skill feats from pre-52 are applicable.
  • Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too.
  • Hey, you know what would be really cool? Treating everyone else in the debate with respect. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. Seriously, this is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging.
  • If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining. Just saying.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs.

Check the homepage this Friday for an updated article with the following:

• Thoughts from the staff.
  • Viner Arguments for both characters (can't include scans and must be in the poll thread).
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Want to suggest a match for an upcoming battle of the week? Tell us below or share it via twitter.

#1 Posted by BeaconofStrength (6707 posts) - - Show Bio

Did the voting thread just get deleted, then remade, or am I crazy?

#2 Posted by i_like_swords (17391 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by Wolverine08 (45541 posts) - - Show Bio

One more question, does Slade have his only his Pre 52 skill feats along with the New 52 gear, or does he simply get all his Pre 52 physical feats, tactical feats, etc.? I mean is this a pure combo between New and Pre 52 Slade?

#4 Posted by k4tzm4n (34907 posts) - - Show Bio

Did the voting thread just get deleted, then remade, or am I crazy?

Remade. I forgot to include "VOTING" in the title.

One more question, does Slade have his only his Pre 52 skill feats along with the New 52 gear, or does he simply get all his Pre 52 physical feats, tactical feats, etc.? I mean is this a pure combo between New and Pre 52 Slade?

Hopefully this clarifies: it's New 52 Slade, but if you think there's a combat feat that Slade should be capable of duplicating but it happens to be in pre-52, I'd say you can still do your best to make a case for it. After all, Slade is still supposed to be one of the most tactical and formidable mercenaries in the New 52.

#5 Posted by Wolverine08 (45541 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: I think I understand what you're getting at! Thanks!

#6 Edited by Wolverine08 (45541 posts) - - Show Bio

And oh yeah, Black Panther vs Deathstroke?

#7 Posted by Cable_Extreme (9770 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: what about speed feats? For example, Slade dodges laser weapons, and tags kid flash, but due to the effects of his Nth metal, those would be amplified to make him crazy strong and fast etc...more so than his new 52 stats.

#8 Posted by Wolverine08 (45541 posts) - - Show Bio

@cable_extreme:

Slade dodges laser weapons, and tags kid flash

Neither of those are actually impressive when broken down and analyzed.

#9 Posted by BeaconofStrength (6707 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by Cable_Extreme (9770 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: dodging laser weapons then jumping through a high speed propeller, or tagging kid flash? How so?

#11 Edited by linsanel_Doctor (1344 posts) - - Show Bio

Deathstroke

#12 Posted by Wolverine08 (45541 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Edited by BeaconofStrength (6707 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Edited by HushoftheWind (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

i didnt see this on the front page, what gives? also when is the voting for the next character of the month?

#15 Edited by Wolverine08 (45541 posts) - - Show Bio

@cable_extreme said:

@wolverine08: dodging laser weapons then jumping through a high speed propeller, or tagging kid flash? How so?

Laser weapons are dodged all the time comic books. I can bring instances of Daredevil, Batman, Captain America, and Wolverine all dodging them, and none of the aforementioned men have better speed feats than Black Panther. Comic book writers don't really take into consideration how fast those things should actually be(Unless you'd like to argue Deathstroke has light speed reflexes)

Deathstroke tagging Kid Flash is unimpressive in the same way almost all street level speedster tagging feats in comics are, it cannot be proven that Kid Flash was moving at his max speeds when it occurred, thus making it unquantifiable. The Flash family in particular slows down there awareness as to communicate with humans and not cause damage to the area they are. Also, considering that Bart has been intercepted by people slower than Deathstroke like Batman, it's clear he doesn't use his speed to the fullest when dealing with people of that caliber.

A combat speed feat that is impressive on paper would be Black Panther fighting someone like Iron Fist(Whom has microsecond reaction time, has caught bullets) fast enough that their punches were couldn't be seen by human eyes. This is all on top of water resistance dragging them down.

#16 Edited by Wolverine08 (45541 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Edited by Cable_Extreme (9770 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: but that wasn't my point, at all.

I am saying that those stats will be enhanced by his armor, he is already sporting great speed. But I never claimed a speed superiority, I was asking if his pre-52 speed (which is superior to his new 52) was also applicable here. If so, Slade easily has a speed advantage, but if not, Slade greatly loses in the speed department.

And I still don't see how tagging kid flash repeatedly while fighting the rest of the teen titans, and dodging multiple laser weapons isn't impressive.

#18 Posted by Wolverine08 (45541 posts) - - Show Bio

@cable_extreme: You mentioned those two feats in a tone that made it sound like they were impressive, and I simply presented my reasoning as to why they are not. I was commenting on the New/Pre 52 speed disparity.

#19 Posted by reaverlation (17061 posts) - - Show Bio

@cable_extreme said:

Laser weapons are dodged all the time comic books. I can bring instances of Daredevil, Batman, Captain America, and Wolverine all dodging them, and none of the aforementioned men have better speed feats than Black Panther. Comic book writers don't really take into consideration how fast those things should actually be(Unless you'd like to argue Deathstroke has light speed reflexes)

Deathstroke tagging Kid Flash is unimpressive in the same way almost all street level speedster tagging feats in comics are, it cannot be proven that Kid Flash was moving at his max speeds when it occurred, thus making it unquantifiable. The Flash family in particular slows down there awareness as to communicate with humans and not cause damage to the area they are. Also, considering that Bart has been intercepted by people slower than Deathstroke like Batman, it's clear he doesn't use his speed to the fullest when dealing with people of that caliber.

A combat speed feat that is impressive on paper would be Black Panther fighting someone like Iron Fist(Whom has microsecond reaction time, has caught bullets) fast enough that their punches were couldn't be seen by human eyes. This is all on top of water resistance dragging them down.

Downplaying Deathstroke much?

#20 Posted by BeaconofStrength (6707 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Alright, you're getting cocky, bub. You just raised it to +6 hater points.

#21 Posted by Wolverine08 (45541 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

@cable_extreme said:

Downplaying Deathstroke much?

Not really. Deathstroke is as fast as Black Panther, those two feats just aren't the ones to prove such is what I am explaining.

#22 Posted by Cable_Extreme (9770 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: they are impressive, whether better than Black Panthers or not...

#23 Edited by reaverlation (17061 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Maybe if I was already on your bad side as I tried to rustle your jimmies. Oh well...

#24 Posted by i_like_swords (17391 posts) - - Show Bio

Does Iron Fist actually have any microsecond reaction feats aside from the one hyperbolic statement about needing "that extra microsecond to react" or whatever it was? Least it came off as hyperbole to me.

#25 Edited by Omnicrono (2128 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a pretty darned even match up if ever I've seen one. I can see either guy taking his fair share of wins. However, since this is New 52 Deathstroke, and his pre-New 52 "skill" feats also apply, I'm going with Stroke for a slight majority - 6/10. New 52 Stroke is incredibly durable, with strength and speed to match thanks in part to his Nth metal armor which enhances those traits to an even greater degree. His just plain quicker thinking will serve him well here too. Panther is easily the better martial artist, but I don't think that will be enough in a random encounter against Stroke's all-around superior physicals (in my opinion) and wider assortment of weaponry, and Stroke is no slouch in the martial arts department either. Panther has stealth mode for sneak attacking, but I'm not sure how much good it will do against a guy who can detect minor variations in air pressure to "sense" encroaching opponents. From where I sit, both are pretty equally matched when it comes to battle tactics, and neither are afraid to kill, though I do think Stroke will be much more apt to go for the killing stroke (heehee) early on - that's just his mentality - which might be the deciding factor in this particular battle.

All in all - very slight edge to Deathstroke.

#26 Posted by jashro44 (25342 posts) - - Show Bio

When I get home I'll probably make a case for black panther.

#27 Edited by Omnicrono (2128 posts) - - Show Bio

@cable_extreme said:

I am saying that those stats will be enhanced by his armor, he is already sporting great speed. But I never claimed a speed superiority, I was asking if his pre-52 speed (which is superior to his new 52) was also applicable here. If so, Slade easily has a speed advantage, but if not, Slade greatly loses in the speed department.

Pre-New 52 "skill" feats apply. Doesn't say anything about speed feats, so I'm not sure. I've always been under the impression that his primary abilities automatically carried over to the New 52 anyway, unless otherwise clearly noted by DC's writers. @k4tzm4n

#28 Posted by Cable_Extreme (9770 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, here is how I view this fight going.

In the durability department, Black Panther wins this, his vibranium weave armor will be hard to get past (not impossible). Slade comes in second with his nth metal armor that is pretty durable, but won't be as helpful as the healing factor he has (which the armor also enhances). His healing factor has allowed him to tank swords through the chest, right by the heart without hardly slowing down, and this healing factor will also be increased due to the properties of his armor.

Slade has a strength edge due to the New 52 armor giving his already impressive pre-52 stats a significant boost. And speed wise, Slade should take this as well. His already superhuman speed will be enhanced even further by his suit which will grant him a pretty good speed advantage.

And for weaponry, BP has the better weaponry, Slade has more versatile weaponry. The only thing that is really going to get past BP's armor is Slade's sword, which I believe his superior speed (and reach with his sword) and similar skill should grant him many port unities to land hits on his armor, which it has been shown that his vibranium weave armor is susceptible to piercing damage.

The fight basically comes down to whether or not BP can take down New 52 Slade who outstats him, before Slade can bypass his armor. I'm willing to bet not, due to Slade's healing factor (which would take a lot of dagger slashes(or claws)to beat Slade).

#29 Posted by reaverlation (17061 posts) - - Show Bio

If it's just New 52 Slade with Pre 52 Slade's skill, then I'll change my vote to Panther

#30 Posted by Cable_Extreme (9770 posts) - - Show Bio

@omnicrono: well, those feats wouldn't carry over since he was basically remade with a new past.

#31 Posted by k4tzm4n (34907 posts) - - Show Bio

i didnt see this on the front page, what gives? also when is the voting for the next character of the month?

The poll needs to be created first so it can be linked in the article. Also, a new poll will likely go live on Friday. Still considering themes and options for the next CotM. Please go here if you have suggestions or tell me via twitter.

#32 Posted by Wolverine08 (45541 posts) - - Show Bio

@omnicrono: Deathstroke does not have his Pre 52 speed feats, so he's actually slower than Black Panther going by solely New 52 feats. The only physical edge he has here is in strength, and Black Panther has defeated skilled fighters stronger than him before. Black Panther is a better martial artist, his suit makes him just as if not more durable, and his weaponry gives him diverse ways to put down Deathstroke like deadening all the nerves in Slade's body with an energy dagger or destroying his sword with his anti metal claws.(Which breakdown molecular bonds in metal)

@wolverine08: they are impressive, whether better than Black Panthers or not...

Neither is impressive. One is ludircrous(Lasers are light speed, do you believe that Deathstroke is light speed now?) and the other is unquantifiable.

#33 Posted by k4tzm4n (34907 posts) - - Show Bio

Current results:

Black Panther 42%

Deathstroke 42%

Too close to call 16%

I have to admit, it makes me REALLY happy when the poll looks like this :)

#34 Edited by Wolverine08 (45541 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by Cable_Extreme (9770 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: not necessarily, energy based weapons have mass, or plasma which can't travel the speed of light theoretically. The actual light itself can, but wouldn't do much but blind your opponent. We know it travels fast, but not the speed of light.

And the kid flash feat is quantifyable. Just like basically any speedster tagging feat is impressive. When comparing feats to other people, feats don't necessarily become unimpressive as much as not very useful, it is still an impressive feat.

#36 Posted by senglord (1746 posts) - - Show Bio

Slade has comparable stats to Captain America. But sports armor, sword, and blast staff that put his defense in the area of Wolverine and Black Panther for durability. If BP is on the herb, he would have comparable stats to Cap/DS. This makes the pure physical fight a serious question of endurance and damage capability.

If Black Panther still has armor like Vibranium then the blast staff is useless due to the properties of the metal. Likewise bullets and explosives would have little effect beyond possibly moving BP to somewhere else on the battlefield. The sword would be able to tag/kill BP if Slade figures out to cut against the grain, and BP gives him a few openings to get the cuts on. Blunt strikes are quite useless against Black Panther's Vibranium.

Black Panther has energy daggers and anti metal claws as his main source of damage. There is no reason that claws that can theoretically eat through ADAMANTIUM(???????) would not eat through Slade's sword. And BP is a tactical genius on the level of Batman, Tony Stark, and Captain America. He will put his effort into negating the sword first, then the man that wields it. If BP can render the promethium sword unusable, Slade will lose his best source of damage. And BP has better martial arts skill feats than Batman, who has dealt damage through Deathstroke's PIS force field. A definite advantage.

So I go with Black Panther.

#37 Posted by Wolverine08 (45541 posts) - - Show Bio

@cable_extreme:

not necessarily, energy based weapons have mass, or plasma which can't travel the speed of light theoretically. The actual light itself can, but wouldn't do much but blind your opponent. We know it travels fast, but not the speed of light.

Demonstrate how fast the plasma weapon traveled.

And the kid flash feat is quantifyable.

Ok then, tell me how fast Bart was moving when Slade managed to tag him then.

#38 Posted by BeaconofStrength (6707 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Keep collecting those #SladeTears. For every 3 #SladeTears shed, you gain 1 hater point. 10 hater points gets you exclusive bragging rights to DS fans, and a specially colored #SladeTears avatar made by @dagmar_merrill(You're going to color it. You don't get a choice in this matter)!

Keep collecting those #SladeTears, bubs!

#39 Edited by Omnicrono (2128 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

Deathstroke does not have his Pre 52 speed feats, so he's actually slower than Black Panther going by solely New 52 feats.

Yes, but does that actually mean he's slower than he was pre-52? That was my question. Again, it has been my understanding that long-established abilities for pre-52 characters were translated over to the New 52 unless clearly stated or shown otherwise. He may or may not yet have New 52 speed showings comparable to his higher end pre-52 ones, but does that mean he isn't as fast, or does it simply mean that writers have yet to showcase his high-end speed feats in the New 52?

#40 Edited by Wolverine08 (45541 posts) - - Show Bio

@omnicrono said:

@wolverine08 said:

Deathstroke does not have his Pre 52 speed feats, so he's actually slower than Black Panther going by solely New 52 feats.

Does that actually mean he's slower than he was pre-52? That was my question. Again, it has been my understanding that long-established abilities for New 52 characters were translated over to the New 52 unless clearly stated or shown otherwise. He may or may not yet have New 52 speed showings comparable to his higher end pre-52 ones, but does that mean he isn't as fast, or does it simply mean that writers have yet to showcase his high-end speed feats in the New 52?

Naw, Deathstroke's New 52 origin has some fairly important differences from his Pre 52 counterpart. They are two different people entirely, so feats wouldn't carry over unless stated like K4tz decided to do with skill.

#41 Posted by Quickfingers26 (1091 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll take Black Panther for the majority.

While Deathstroke is stronger, possesses a healing factor and operates as if he is always morals off, in this particular battle he is out-skilled and more importantly, out-teched.

The three things that T'Challa brings to the table that will make the most difference are: the vibranium armor (pretty effective versus bullets, staffs and stabbing swords (if not slashing)), the anti-metal claws (which should destroy Slade's armor/sword) and his superior skill.

Slade will get a few wins because he is really that good. But Black Panther will tear through his weapons/armor faster than Slade can get through his.

T'Challa 7/10.

#42 Edited by Omnicrono (2128 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

Naw, Deathstroke's New 52 origin has some fairly important differences from his Pre 52 counterpart. They are two different people entirely.

Sure, I understand that. But again... did that new origin show that his speed was altered dramatically? To my knowledge, it didn't. Batman's super hero origins have been altered quite a bit as well (see Zero Year), but his physical abilities have (so far) been shown to be equal or superior to what they were before in most cases, not inferior. New origins don't necessarily equate to new abilities.

#43 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (1697 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Panther , he has superior combat skills and like @quickfingers26 said, the vibranium armor and the anti-metal claws gives him the victory.

#44 Posted by Wolverine08 (45541 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

Naw, Deathstroke's New 52 origin has some fairly important differences from his Pre 52 counterpart. They are two different people entirely.

Sure, I understand that. But again... did that new origin show that his speed was altered dramatically? To my knowledge, it didn't. Batman's super hero origins have been altered quite a bit as well (see Zero Year), but his physical abilities have (so far) been shown to be equal or superior to what they were before, not inferior.

Batman and Deathstroke are two different people, so I wouldn't say that because one has shown most of his abilities from his Pre 52 days, the other should as well. In terms of strength and durability New 52 Slade has shown himself better than his Pre 52 counterpart, but his speed has yet to match up. Maybe he will eventually show himself superior like has with strength and durability, but he simply hasn't. IMO, it's just better to work with what has been presented rather than trying to say what a character should be able to do.

#45 Posted by SHAZAM117 (3822 posts) - - Show Bio

Going with T'Challa

#46 Posted by viin (690 posts) - - Show Bio

hmmm will the marvel popilarity win again?

#47 Posted by Shawnbaby (10869 posts) - - Show Bio

I really dislike the combination of New 52 Gear with Pre 52 Skills. It just seems more like a "build a better Deathstroke" than dealing with him as is in either incarnation.

#48 Edited by Justthatkid (4704 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't see Panther as a street leveler.

#49 Edited by Lvenger (21154 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll wait to see more thoughts posted on here by those who know the characters well before I come to a decision myself.

#50 Posted by Edamame (28372 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, I'll give it to Black Panther here.