• 79 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

*Wanted to vote but you don't have an account? Well, what are you waiting for?! Signing up is beyond simple. CLICK HERE to register and then you'll be able to vote in all of our polls and join the countless discussions. Go on, make an account!*

No Caption Provided

The Dark Knight has been voted by the community as our latest Character of the Month. Sure, that means we'll highlight his best covers and do much more to praise the popular character, but it also means we're going to put his abilities to the test in the Battle of the Week. His first opponent was the latest version of Star-Lord and Batman was able to earn a hard-fought victory. But now he faces... the Shredder! Sorry, couldn't resist that one again. So, could Bruce Wayne earn a majority of wins over the deadly leader of the Foot Clan if these two went head-to-head in a dojo? According to the voters, the answer is yes.

No Caption Provided

The Caped Crusader earned 61% of the votes and Oroku Saki received 33%. 5% thought this encounter has the potential to go either way. So, why'd Batman win? You know, aside from "because he's Batman!"

First and foremost, it's worth noting that Shredder is undefeated in his universe and recently held his own against the heavily armed Krang (the ninja withstood a barrage of explosions!). However, he doesn't bring as much versatility as Batman does to this fight and a possible display of arrogance could give the DC hero the opening he needs to take the victory.

A hand-to-hand showing between these two would be a remarkable thing to witness, and while Shredder can do some cutting and stabbing damage with his blades, Batman simply has more options available. His grappling line could be used to trip Oroku, he could distract him with a batarang and then follow though with another device, so on and so on. Even if the equipment itself doesn't deliver the final strike, it could be used as a diversion and give Bruce an opening to land some effective strikes. It would be an epic fight and a magnificent display of skill as these two go at it, but as formidable and lethal as Shredder may be, Batman simply has the skill to compete in close quarters combat, a keen tactical mind, and a whole lot of variety available in his belt and even on his costume. If you've been reading the IDW series then you know this won't be a cakewalk for either character, but ultimately, the people have decided to side with Batman and it is an understandable win.

Now, before you potentially post a comment along the lines of "what a surprise," please keep in mind this segment isn't about the outcome, it's about the fun. You're supposed to have a good time speculating what it would be like if these two were forced to fight, chat with your peers about it, and realize that it would be quite awesome to watch, even if you're confident one of them is guaranteed to take the win. Sure, Batman took a strong majority of the votes, but we just hope you had a blast pondering about these two duking it out and it was great to see many recognize this would be a hugely entertaining battle. And if you're tired of Batman winning, we have an idea: suggest a fight you'd like to see! If it's balance and not made blatantly to stomp Batman (vs. Galactus), we'll take it into consideration. Last but not least, thanks to everyone who took the time to vote and share your thoughts! Now, let's see what the community and one staff writer had to say about this melee!

No Caption Provided

Anjales

"Very tough and close battle @k4tzm4n.

Shredder's advantages:

- Though Batman's bulletproof armor is formidable, it has shown a weakness to sharp weapons, and this what the Shredder is all about. Shredder's blades are capable of damaging the Bat's armor, and add in his immense skill in using them, Batman isn't leaving this battle with an un-scrapped armor.

- Though it's very rare not give Batman the advantage in martial arts, and while they are pretty close, I have to give a very slight edge to Shredder because in this depiction of the character in the stories, he has several lifetimes of experience and in all of those he has reached a high ranking level as a Ninja Assassin. Now, centuries of skill have shown not be enough to beat Batman, as he has consistantly defeated Ra's Al Ghul in intense yet decisive battles but the difference is that Ra's, despite his age, has never reached the level Shredder has achieved. Shredder is capable of fighting the Turtles all at the same time. The TMNT are all skilled martial artists and they are depicted as low level supers, and Shredder has managed not only to hold them off, but also decisively beat them, sometimes with ease. And he's also had back and forth battles with Master Splinter, whose skill is well documented. He even recently managed to give Krang a tough fight without his armor.

You would think that by listing these advantages, I'm giving Shredder the W, but actually, I'm giving it to the bat and there's 3 reasons for that:

- Gadgets. Though Shredder can damage Bat's armor, so can Batman, but it's actually easier for Bruce. Shredder's armor can take the blows of the Turtles, but it isn't as durable as Bats' and it will crumble at the various explosives the Bat carries. Bats can even force Shredder to remove his helmet by attaching a miniature explosive or even damage it, thereby exposing his face, and leaving him more vulnerable to deadly attacks.

- Durability. Batman's endurance is well documented. The guy's just too stubborn to go down. He'll never give up. He has taken punishment that will make others in the comics give up. But Batman's combination of armor, resourcefulness and strong will will prevent him from succumbing to the Shredder's wrath. Though Shredder is no slouch in that department, capable of taking blows from the turtles and Krang, but Batman simply outlasts him.

- Shredder's arrogance. After a back and forth battle, Shredder will probably see Batman as a worthy adversary, but he'll also want Batman to concede that Shredder is the superior fighter. He'll try to take his time, try to punish Batman and this will be his downfall. Batman is known to squeeze out a victory at the last second. He'll let Shredder get in close, and then use some gadgets to change the game. He can either throw acid in his face that can blind him, attach an overheat device that can melt through the armor, ambush him with a knock out gas, catch him off guard with a tranq dart from one of his gauntlets, use his suit's electricity to stun him, among others. All these elements will give Batman the chance he needs to land the finishing blow.

Batman wins 6/10."

No Caption Provided

tparks

"This is a great battle. I know Batman has the edge in gear, but assuming he doesn't grab his anti-Shredder repellent spray right from the get go, then this would make a great battle from two highly skilled martial artists.

I can understand why there are so many comments for Batman "stomping". It is common knowledge that Batman is among the elite when it comes to martial artist abilities, but I really believe Shredder can match these abilities, but do so with a slight edge because he would be willing to mortally wound and even kill Batman, where Batman will do almost anything he can to prevent a death by his own hands. Shredder's bladed gauntlets turn every one of his strikes into a deadly attack, which he is more then willing to use to end a battle quickly.

Shredder has also demonstrated that he constantly reads his opponents tactics while fighting. In Shredder's feature from the Villains Micro-series, we were fortunate enough to get to read Shredder's dialogue explaining what was going through his head during a battle with warriors who have passed on into the after-life. Shredder took on an entire army of experienced warriors on his own, for each warrior, he was able to instantly recognize their fighting tendencies, and exploit their weaknesses, and avoid their strengths. This is going to be very important in a fight against someone with the skill Batman has. It's always important to avoid an infamous Bat-Kick.

Shredder has also proven himself to be Splinter's equal, which helps support that Shredder can do more then just beat other ninjas. In Splinter's fight with the turtles, he wore a mask to disguise his identity to teach the Turtles a lesson, that they have become to accustomed to fighting only ninjas. Splinter used several different fighting styles that he switched between quickly, and completely embarrassed all of them without breaking a sweat. Splinter has also shown to have at least a slight degree of enhanced strength, as he has crushed steel mousers with his bare hands. Even with all of this skill and impressive physicals, Shredder has matched Splinter on each and every encounter. Splinter has a strict moral code like most heroes, but he does not hold back against Shredder. Splinter has made it his mission in life to remove the threat of Shredder once and for all. This makes Shredder's fights with Splinter that much more impressive, because it's some of the only times we've ever seen Splinter really let loose on an opponent.

On top of these great battles, Shredder has also killed several legions of a samurai army on his own during his first life time. They ambushed him all at once, and he killed every single one of them on his own. To my knowledge, not even Batman has a feat of taking on this many combatants all at the same time. It can be argued that these were just cannon fodder, but Shredder has also bested all four turtles at once, Karai and a squad of her foot soldiers in seconds, Alopex also in seconds, and Leonardo one on one. All of these characters mentioned have a large amount of feats showing them to be highly skilled warriors as well, yet Shredder is still out of their league.

I know I talked a lot about Shredder, but that's because pretty much everyone who reads comics, has a pretty good understanding of what Batman can do, where Shredder is a little less known. I actually believe this is a very even fight. I even voted "too close to call". Can Batman end this instantly with some of his gear? Yes. Is he likely to do this though? Debatable, but I think not in character. In a martial arts fight between the two, is Shredder the better fighter? Also debatable, but I think he has proven he at least has a great shot to win."

No Caption Provided

Frozen

"Batman, 7/10 majority. @k4tzm4n this will be my main argument/post in favour of Batman.

Based on what I've seen and read up on Shredder thus far, it's really not enough to match up against Bruce or pose too much of a serious threat. Not only are Shredder's feats less defined than Batman's but they are lower in quantity, for each quality feat Shredder posesses, Batman has several equally as impressive, if not better feats to compare. For example - skill has always been Batman's major strength in combat, and often it compliments his overall physical ability. In regards to skill feats, he completely trashed Bane in the Forever Evil Aftermarth: Batman vs Bane comic. In his rematch with Talon in Batman #6 , he completely defeated Talon despite being at the disadvantage of being psychologically torture and physical damage, to the point where after the match, the Court of Owls regarded him (Talon) as useless). A younger Batman was able to defeat Doctor Death in Batman #29 in H2H despite his opponent being a superhuman/extremely durable, again defeated Bane amped on Venom in Batwoman #24 (Bane is undeniably superhuman with Venom). And for a more technical showing, defeated a man who was immune to pain with a rapid-attack of pressure points in Detective Comics #17. And moreover onto the physical aspect, he has demonstrated striking power potent enough to easily kick apart large bionic robots (Batwing #23), knocked Talon through a reinforced steel door (which would atleast be into the 1 ton range) and punch Talon through a marble wall, and in regards to speed he's never really had a problem with tagging/out-fighting metahumans. On the durability side, the New-52 version of the suit has shown more armored/bullet proof properties, and has even withstood punishment from Clayface (IIRC #15 of Detective Comics). I haven't even gotten into gadgets yet, but what does Shredder have to match or overcome Batman's massive skill and physical advantage? Because I firmly believe he has nothing to overcome Batman. The physical + skill advantage alone is too much for Shredder. In addition to this, it does help I suppose that parts of his suit are protected against bladed weapons.

I'm also seeing a point being made in regards to Shredder taking down armies of ninja's, etc. While that's rather cool and neat, Batman has fodderized ninja's, aliens and robots on a purely consistent basis. I don't really put too much stock into defeating fodder; it depends on how the fodder is defeated (e.g. if the fodder's defeat showcased a special ability by the attacker, such as pressure points)."

No Caption Provided

GraniteSoldier

"The important thing to remember is averages. Shredder is not the star of the TMNT title. The turtles are. So certainly, in the mere 30 some issues that have been published, Shredder is not in all of them and of the ones he is he isn't always fighting. However Batman IS the lead of his own title, as well as several other Bat-books, and is featured on the JL (where frankly anyone who cites combative feats of Bat's against guys that are Superman-level threats are just high-balling) so of course he's going to have far more feats. However of those feats, nothing proves he is more than a match for Shredder. In every instance of Shredder fighting thus far, he's destroyed anyone, everyone, and everything in his path. Batman has demonstrated pressure point combat (since that's always people's default "skill" showings) and while Shredder isn't fond of pressure points (he prefers shredding it would seem) he's manhandled Splinter who has. Batman can beat Bane (although the recent Batman vs Bane where he beats Bane with his fists is silly considering the same Venom made Batman tough enough to make Superman bleed and not shatter his hand upon punching Clark) and Shredder can handle Slash. Comparisons can be made and are there to justify Shredder, at the very least, being a tough fight for Batman. The edge Batman has here is gear. Shredder doesn't carry much. However, most of Batman's gear is based on ninjitsu weapons. Smoke bombs? Batarangs (shuriken)? Even the grapple gun could be made to be compared to Kamas. Point being his gear gives him an edge, but it isn't like it's going to be totally unfamiliar to Shredder. Batman has the batsuit, which is incredibly durable, but Shredder has tanked missiles (plural) in standard ninja garb. He's done the common feats Batman has as well such as taking on massive groups of fodder enemies, bullet time, and have even showed the same meticulous thinking patterns (Shredder in conquering, controlling, and dominating the criminal underworld and Batman with his incredible attention to detail in his detective work).

This is a lot closer than people are giving Shredder credit for."

No Caption Provided

Corey "Undeadpool" Schroeder, Comic Vine Writer

The ninja had been no problem for him. Ninja never were. He hadn't even broken a sweat working his way to the top of the pagoda, but when we slid the paper door aside, he felt his skin prickle. He looked back and the door was closed. Any attempt to open it proved fruitless and where once there had been fragile wood and paper was now an invincible barrier. He turned the other way, toward the window, toward the man who'd brought him here by leaving a shuriken in one of his greatest enemy's chest.

"He won't stay dead, you know." He intoned to the armored man sitting, his back to him."I care not. I had no real desire to kill him, but to send a message to you. Had you not responded, I would have merely chosen another. Perhaps that absurd clown or the crocodile that walks like a man. That one, though, I'd be as likely to recruit." His voice was baritone and clear, dripping with sinister intent, "They tell stories of you. Even out here we know about...the Batman."

"Funny. I haven't heard anything about you."He'd meant it as a taunt, but his mysterious foe only replied, "I suppose that makes one of us the better ninja. You may call me 'The Shredder.'" He rose, turning slowly. He wore a metal helmet, spiked shoulder pads, bladed gauntlets, kneepads, shinguards and even a chest plate, "You pose little threat to me or my plans. But I must confess...you bother me. Any time your plans involve the globe, it helps to remove interlopers as early as possible.

Batman said nothing, studying his foe critically before charging forward. Their gauntlets locked and they fought one another, Batman headbutting the Shredder, his helmet clanging as the ninja staggered back. Batman went for an overhead kick, but Shredder stabbed dropped, tackling Batman to the ground before flipping off him as the Bat threw out a flashbang grenade.

"Trickery and theatrics. Indeed the hallmark of a ninja. But what are they when you haven't the skill to take advantage?" Shredder advanced again, as Batman grabbed at a teargas capsule, hurling it at the ground and flipping back. But as he looked into the cloud, he found it empty. An incredible stabbing pain tore through his back as Saki wrapped a gauntlet around Bats' neck.

"Parlor tricks and novelties will always be trumped by skill." he twisted his claw and Batman let out a cry."True...but versatility will get you far." Batman pulled out his grapple gun and shot it into the ceiling, pulling both men up and tucking his head as Shredder's smashed into the ceiling. Sure enough, whatever stopped him from leaving wasn't just on the doors. They fell, Shredder on his back and Batman staggering, blood dripping from the wound in his back. He turned and leaped, Shredder clawing reflexedly, but missing as Batman landed at his head and drove his fist into Saki's face.

Panting, he called up his computer and found the source of the barrier: a hidden switch under the mat where Shredder had knelt before their fight. He looked back. This wasn't his territory and he had a notion that this situation would be handled, but still felt the need to remind, "If you ever decide to go global, I'll be waiting."

No Caption Provided

Do you think the right combatant won the battle? Feel free to continue the conversation below!

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Surprised?

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wowzers

mprawrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nice! :D

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

chaos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well alright then great arguments all around

chaos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: you want to give any hints for who he is facing next?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@chaos911 said:

No one has been selected yet!

RedAlert539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By RedAlert539

So Batman voted for favourite of the month? And voted for winning in his latest match-up? Really? What a surprise!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*sighs*

chaos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@chaos911 said:

Awww. I would say make sure it's good but with you they always are

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 k4tzm4n  Moderator

So Batman voted for favourite of the month? And voted for winning in his latest match-up? Really? What a surprise!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*sighs*

Surprised?

Thanks for reading the article ;)

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the addition of the story segment, very nice.

mprawrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mprawrr

@k4tzm4n: Batman vs. Iron Man, Moon Knight, Deathlok and Cap'n America? Was there a bout between them all ready? :)

TheTrollDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was basically a popularity contest, I honestly cannot see how Bats can pull this off unless he has prep and plot on his side.

RedAlert539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@k4tzm4n said:

@redalert539 said:

*sighs*

@dimitridkatsis said:

Surprised?

Thanks for reading the article ;)

Yes i did read the article. And it was a very well written article. The point of my sarcastic respond being something else alltogether.

klaud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batman win this

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

How did I miss this one?

Avatar image for the_man_with_questions
The_Man_With_Questions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shocking! Even though from the arguments made I believe Bruce would win.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How much longer must I wait for batman vs iron fist?? I do think Iron Fist would take a small majority but it would still be an awesome match and I want to see what others have to say about it.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gracetrack

@k4tzm4n

T'was another great match up this week. Thanks, Gregg!

For the next fight...

Batman vs Luke Skywalker (canon only), please!

or

Batman vs Obi Wan Kenobi (canon only), please!

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I didn't even think that was one of my better arguments haha but thank you none the less for the feature. I've amassed quite a track record in these haha.

@wolverine08: thank you for the thanks good sir.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

There must be a comic of this battle. Batman faces Shredder to save the TMNT!!! Make it happen people! *Sniff*someday

Supreme_Maj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could not vote I don't know much about this version of Shredder so I think base on what people gave as argument the best of the two won this was a good match up k4tzm4n as always now let the bat try to fight against Iron fist I think this will be a very Good challenge for him

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Lvenger
tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Radx_Konkin75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Radx_Konkin75

Batman vs. Optimus Prime.

Dark_Stranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a surprising outcome really.

@k4tzm4n said:

@chaos911 said:

How about this then?

For the next battle, how about an all out rumble between Batman and a certain number of alternate versions of Batman that'd make good/great combatants feat wise?

cdw101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nolan Batman vs Movie Hit-Girl

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks said:

Nooooooo!!

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@reaverlation said:

@tparks said:

Nooooooo!!

Yeah, no movie versions for battle shouled be used IMO. Batman's 75th deverves better (in terms of a battle).

Comic versions should be used.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By frozen  Moderator
@k4tzm4n said:

@chaos911 said:

Batman vs Sabretooth

Batman vs Iron Fist

It'll be interesting to see who's next...

@lvenger said:

@wolverine08 said:

Nice job @frozen@granitesoldier@anjales, and you @tparks. You guys made it a great battle of the week.

Seconded, some top notch Viner arguments of the week in this battle. Definitely a lot to take notes from.

Thank you.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Stormdriven

@frozen said:

@reaverlation said:

@tparks said:

Nooooooo!!

Yeah, no movie versions for battle. Batan's 75th deverves better (in terms of a battle).

I agree, we wouldn't want to see the Bat lose to a teenage girl on his 75th :P

Radx_Konkin75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By frozen  Moderator
@stormdriven said:

@frozen said:

@reaverlation said:

@tparks said:

Nooooooo!!

Yeah, no movie versions for battle. Batan's 75th deverves better (in terms of a battle).

No Caption Provided

CaptainBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RybackStun93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman vs Deadpool would be an interesting fight. Due to both character's popularity, it may actually come down to whether or not Batman could beat the Merc with a Mouth instead of just "Batman! *Click*"

Anyway, I think this battle is actually closer than many people would think. While Shredder is arrogant, that doesn't mean that he'll lose because Batman would be able to surprise him. Unless it's a killshot (which we know Batman doesn't do) Shredder could pretty much bounce back from just about anything short of killing him.

Can't wait til we get another character of the Month. :)

BritishMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By BritishMonkey

But Shredder would whoop Batman.

ChillinNKillin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@chaos911 said:

Batman vs Black Panther (current).

YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT @k4tzm4n!!!

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 frozen  Moderator
Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 560

I think Batman would win. Shame there isn't a crossover where this could happen.

THETRAUMINATOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By THETRAUMINATOR

@k4tzm4n: do something with ..... Someone awesome

:)

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@k4tzm4n: How about Batman vs Best Tiger.

@tparks said:

We all know how that would go though.... Exactly like every other Nolan vs Kick-Ass thread.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@reaverlation said:

@tparks said:

Nooooooo!!

She'd win so easily though.

one shot
one shot
one shot yet again.
one shot yet again.

:)

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 frozen  Moderator

@jayc1324 said:

How much longer must I wait for batman vs iron fist?? I do think Iron Fist would take a small majority but it would still be an awesome match and I want to see what others have to say about it.

I'd like to see it possible if Batman is allowed Post-Crisis feats in addition to New-52 feats, that would be interesting and fun.

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By frozen  Moderator
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@reaverlation said:

@allstarsuperman: She's in Bruce's league because of guns :P

And lethal gear. If she has her rope knife (I need to find out hat its actually called) she would put him through a loop, (hehe).

@jashro44 said:

@allstarsuperman said:

@k4tzm4n: How about Batman vs Best Tiger.

Doesn't he kill invincible level characters?

He showed that he could kill Bulletproof with prep and to set up IIRC. BP isn't Viltrumite level. Best Tiger is like deadshot, but even better are ricochets.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 frozen  Moderator

I think Shredder should have more votes than Star Lord did.