This thread is the Battle of the Week for 5/19/2014 - 5/26/2014.
- You will select a body, powers, abilities, and a trainer. There will be no item selection for this round.
- You may only have one character in the round.
- Only one person may use a specific character for a specific category. For example, if someone chooses Spider-Man for their powers, no one else may choose Spider-Man for their powers. The remaining options for Spider-Man would be body, abilities, and as a trainer. It will be a first come, first serve basis. Early birds get the worm and all that. This restriction does not apply to trainers.
- You may choose anyone from fiction but assume I know nothing of anyone outside of American comics. You will have to educate me on the limitations of the character you want to borrow powers or abilities from. If you are vague or I feel it will break the game AT ANY POINT IN THE GAME, I will enforce Rule 0 (which means I say no and the conversation is OVER) and deny it's use so be very clear when explaining your character. Any character that would get an easy win over a Spider-Man level character is unlikely to be given approval.
A body is your physical character. It’s you. It must be humanoid (can include extra limbs). It will have the strength, speed, durability, agility, senses, and physical mutations of the character chosen.
You may not have a body with:
- Physical attributes above 616 Spider-Man (10 ton strength, etc) (Pre-Other)
- Super-speed beyond bursts (Can’t outrun any bullet)
- Durability above Hugo Danner (bullet-proof but heavy artillery like a tank shell will cause injury)
- Cybernetic bodies will not have access to devices such as integrated guns, any offensive tech, or self-repair. These things and others like it that were not listed are considered powers.
- Wolverine’s bone claws, physical stats, and senses would be included (does not include healing factor)
- Daredevil’s physical stats and enhanced senses (does not include radar sense)
- Spider-Man’s physical stats (no wall-crawling or spider sense)
A power set is a superhuman ability or set of abilities associated with a single individual character. Gambit's kinetic energy charging is an example of a power set. Your power must be compatible with your power. Having a Terminator body will not allow you to have Gambit’s kinetic charging (well in one case it could but if you don’t know, I ain’t tellin).
You may not use powers that include:
- Reality warping
- Time travel
- Probability altering (good or bad luck)
- Mind control or possession of any kind
- Force fields
You may not use restricted powers above limits:
- Energy projection above Classic Cyclops (can pulverize a tank)
- Powers that affect your opponent internally (blood bending, etc.)
- Shapeshifting above Classic Mystique (no mass change)
- Healing Factor above bone claw Wolverine (most fatal injuries put you in critical condition)
- Telekinesis above 5 ton strength. Can only lift/move objects and form melee weaponry and armor.
- Precognition above 616 Spider-Man (Pre-Other)
- Intangibility (may only use for up to 5 seconds and must have 55 second cooldown)
An ability set is naturally learned or trained skill or knowledge or set of skills or knowledge disciplines associated with a single individual character. Black Panther's martial arts and scientific knowledge are an example of an ability set.
You may not use abilities that allow you to:
- Somehow exceed the limitations of your physical attributes. For example, a regular human cannot perform Spider-Man's acrobatic feats as he isn't physically agile enough.
- Training with someone of superhuman stats will not allow you to break these limitations. You cannot train at a mystical ninja school for a month and go from human level stats to superhuman.
- Mystical abilities, chi usage, or tapping into the ‘limitless potential’ of your character is considered a power, not an ability.
A trainer is anyone from fiction that will educate you in a field you may desire. You will only learn ONE thing from them and it must be within both the trainer’s ability to teach and your ability to learn. You may only learn at the rate your body and/or powers will allow you. Your character is YOU with powers. So if you chose an ability set that does not have remarkable intellect, your character may only learn as fast as a regular human (you).
- Your trainer may not telepathically fast-track your learning.
- Your training is to learn only and no other purpose.
@lunacyde AKA Nomad
@lvenger AKA Night Soldier
@fetts AKA John Locke
@tex_the_slayer AKA Blood Red
@cjdavis103 AKA The Philosophical Conduit Master
@higorm AKA Primal
@beatboks1 AKA Crusader
@one_upper AKA Iron Lotus
@fatherchaos AKA Mortal Sword
You have met with the other players and made your alliances. After you have finished and others have had their friendly or not so friendly talks, the massive training room grows dark and the sound of a generator dies. After a brief moment of silence in the dimly lit room, the sound of a wind up Jack-in-the-box starts to play. From the far end of the room, you see the eyes and mouth of an animatronic doll’s face light up. You are certain that there was a solid wall there just a moment ago. The cracking lights buzz and sputter as it looks right at you. You know it’s not looking in your direction, but at you specifically. It’s jaw swings open with a rusty whine and it’s head kicks to the side while it’s body spasms and shudders as it raises it’s hand to wave at you, slowly. That is the last thing you remember.
You wake up with the sound of rain filling your ears and leaves rustling in the wind. When you open your eyes, a soft, soothing light creeps into them. You sit up, rub your eyes and wonder what happened to you the night before. When you look around, you see that you are on an isolated corner of an island with nothing shielding you from the rain but a small, 10x20 foot fabric canopy, held up by six aluminum support bars. To your back is the ocean and to your front, is an abandoned city.
This is Hashima Island, Japan. Otherwise known as Battleship Island, which sits 9 miles off of the coast of Nagasaki. The hour is 16:00. The temperature is warm, there are light winds, and it is raining at a steady rate.
You look down to check yourself. You are wearing nothing but BDU pants, a leather belt, a plain white t-shirt, standard combat boots, and a laminated note inside a Velcro band around your arm. It reads:
“There are 21 other people on the island. You must kill them all to leave with your life. Escape is impossible.
This island is haunted. The ghosts will immediately kill you if you find them. They only are inside the buildings and only are in 10% of the room within every building. One might consider avoiding the buildings entirely. However, there are also very special items in the buildings. These items occupy 20% of the rooms in each building.
You will notice that you have no items. There are many items well suited to complete your objective in the center of the island and in the buildings.
Care packages may be given to you, but require sponsors to donate them. These care packages might save your life, so perform well and impress sponsors.
It is currently the month of June in Japan. This means you can expect it to be warm and raining during your stay here.
If you successfully kill everyone else, a boat will arrive to take you back to your home.”
This round we are going to try something new. Players that use stealth when attacking or those hunting players that are using stealth will roll when their paths crossed. The initiator for the fight will roll on whether or not they are successful in their attack. I will roll a pair of d6 dice. If a 6 or lower is rolled, the attacker will fail, receive an injury, and then it will go to a debate. If a 7-9 is rolled, the attack will succeed but there will be a cost of some kind and the debate will ensue. If a 10 or higher is rolled, the attack will be successful and the attacker will still maintain the advantage and the debate will continue from that point.
When you are in a fight with another player, you will ONLY have 3 battle posts and 1 conclusion post. Anymore than that and you risk penalization. You must tag all three judges (myself included) when you make a fighting/conclusion post, so judges know which posts are the most important. This is to reduce the 3 -5 pages of back and forth between two players that, while fun to read, was a lot of work for me. So make your limited posts count.
To save me the time of personally deciding which rooms are haunted, have items, or are empty, every time one of you enter a building, you will tell me how many rooms you check before leaving. For each room you check, you will choose a number between 1-10 for a ghost, and two numbers 1-10 for items. I will roll a die for however many rooms you check and post your results.
The game will follow a similar pace as always. However, starvation and dehydration will occur in real time. This will help cull inactive players from my game. You will lose 5% of your stats per day without food OR water until your death at 7 days. If you can prove that you do not need as much food or water as a normal human, you will have your stats reduced by 1% per day and you will die after 14 days. Food and water stat reductions stack. So after one day with no food and water, you would lose 10% of your stats in a human body. If you can support that your character has no need for food or water at all, you will not suffer this stat reduction due to inactivity.
Drinking unfiltered water carries risk. This island is abandoned and the plumbing in disrepair. Not to mention it is magically haunted. There is a 30% chance that any attempt to drink unfiltered water will result in poisoning that reduces stats by 25%. This also applies to eating uncooked animals and unwashed plants on the island. So if you choose to drink unfiltered water or eat uncooked meat, you must select 3 numbers between 1 - 10 and I will tell you if you are poisoned or not.
There are judges for this round. This is being done to lighten my workload and to simply get rid of any accusations of favoritism. The judges are:
They may also be players in this round. In the case that a player encounters a judge, the judge may not make a ruling on their own fight. The other judges will. I of course, maintain the authority to override any ruling I disagree with.
Sponsors are spectators of this thread. Those that view the thread and favor a player may answer some trivia questions that will result in a care package being sent to the player of their choosing. Sponsors may only participate once per round and they can only choose one of the listed options. Supplies for the entire round are limited. Once items have been used up, they are gone for the round. For example, there are 5 care packages of water. If a sponsor selects one for his tribute, there will only be 4 left for future sponsors.
Looting is turned on for this round. This means you can steal gear before and after a death. You may also share your equipment but you may not give equipment away. If you discard an item, it will dissolve into nothingness.
Single items to be selected as an individual care package can be drawn from this pool:
- x1 Box of Matches
- x5 32 oz Bottle of Water
- x1 Thermal blanket
- x5 Day of First Strike Rations
- x2 Needle and Thread
- x3 Water purifier
- x1 Compass
- x2 Magical salve that can restore light injuries immediately, moderate injuries within a few hours, and can reduce lethal injuries to simply cutting stats in half.
As stated before, there are special items in the game. But you must take a risk in order to get them. Since you do not know where the items are in the buildings, winning an item will be randomized.
Special items in the buildings include:
- Web shooters
- Batman’s Utility Belt
- Trick Arrows
- Captain America’s Shields
- Vibranium Suit
- Adamantium Spear
- Muramasa Blade
- Glock 9mm with Carbonadium Rounds
- Scarecrow Gas Grenades
- UDON Taskmaster Gauntlet
- Stealth Cloak (immune to any visual sensors)
- Ring of Silence (no sound can be heard from the wearer unless it’s wanted)
- Thermal Belt (immune to damage from temperature extremes and invisible to thermal imaging)
- Bucky’s mechanical arm (will be worn as a sleeve. Does not replace your arm)
Items in the center of the arena (assume a standard sizing/materials and new items spawn when old ones are picked up, so there is enough of each for everyone):
- Straight Sword
- Bow and Arrows
- Bo (metal or wood)
- Throwing Knives
- Throwing Axes
- Stab Vest
- Shredder Gauntlets