• 50 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

*Want to vote but you don't have an account? Well, what are you waiting for?! Signing up is beyond simple. CLICK HERE to register and then you'll be able to vote in all of our polls and join the countless discussions. Go on, make an account!*

No Caption Provided

Optic blasts or adamantium claws? Our latest Character of the Month, Scott Summers, a.k.a. Cyclops, is facing James Howlett, a.k.a. Wolverine, and you can help determine who will be the victor. Do you think Cyclops' sharp mind and accurate blasts will eventually keep Logan down for the count? Or do you believe Wolverine's durability and skill will allow him to get close and dish out some major damage with his pointy claws? Will the environment benefit one more than the other? There's a lot to take into account with this fight, so go read the rules, give it some proper thought and then cast your vote! After you've picked a winner -- or too close to call -- visit the comments and let the world know how you think this brawl would go down.

CLICK HERE TO VOTE

No Caption Provided

Match Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter (aka no prep for either side).
  • Wolverine has his adamantium lacing and healing factor, and Cyclops is pre-AvX.
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. Assume they start roughly 30 feet apart and visible. However, there is a good amount of cover in the location (parked vehicles, bus stops and such) and the entire area is on limits (alleys, rooftops, building interiors, the sewer, etc).
  • Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too.
  • Hey, you know what would be really cool? Treating everyone else in the debate with respect. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. Seriously, this is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging.
  • If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining. Just saying.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs.
No Caption Provided

Check the homepage this Friday for an updated article with the following:

• Thoughts from the staff.
  • Viner Arguments for both characters (can't include scans and must be in the poll thread).
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Want to suggest a match for an upcoming Battle of the Week for Cyclops? Tell us below or share it via twitter.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jashro44

This should be good....

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

Ohhhhh man.

If this is the month opener, then Batman must be the title fight.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 k4tzm4n  Moderator
Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Looking forward to the debates either way!

Jmarshmallow

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n OFF THE BAT SIR!? SHOULDN'T THIS BE THE FINALE FOR SCOTT'S MONTH!?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n OFF THE BAT SIR!? SHOULDN'T THIS BE THE FINALE FOR SCOTT'S MONTH!?

Wolverine's not taking the CotM loss very well and demanded to fight Scott asap. Don't worry, there's more good battles on the way!

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Cyke reducing Wolvie to a skeleton with a 180* AOE optic blast leaving Wolvie to regen for a spell.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

WOW!!!!!!!!!! No holding back huh? right from the jump Logan vs Scott

AndySynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AndySynn

You know what... I'm going straight in with "Too close to call". They've had multiple set-to's in the past, several of which ended without a decisive victor... I think they'd both just wear each other down in the end...

And then have a beer.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

That fight in Schism was enough for me. Still can't wait for the results on this battle

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Wolverine should win this time.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

grinderkiller1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow...I thought this would be the final battle for cyclops month but seeing as this the opener for battle of the week i voted for cyclops because he did fight the x-men exploiting their tactics (such as nightcrawler teleporting out of the optic beam's way only to hit wolverine) and he also did fight James on Schism and held pretty up and survived an adamantium-laced headbutt so combining Scott's tactical experience and possibly a good focused optic blast might give cyke the victory

'(i'm a new register here so hello everybody it's good to see this site expanding more and i want to be a part of this site and it's related content such as this one)

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#16  Edited By BatWatch

I'm confused on this one. We all know Wolvie is a beast, but with the combatants being on a city street and visible to one another, doesn't that give Cyclops every advantage? Couldn't he just blast the crap out of Wolverine the second he sees him? Saying he can't make the initial hit quick enough, (and thirty feet doesn't seem like near enough space for Wolverine to dodge to me) couldn't Scott just do a giant blast and sweep the whole street of all cover taking Wolverine down at the same time? Even if this failed (which I see as highly unlikely) couldn't Scott just clear the street and then wait for Wolverine to approach him in a wide cleared off area. Any attack Wolverine would use would likely be seen well before he can close the gap to Cyclops, and Wolverine does not have the endurance to stand up against Scott's stronger blasts. He could heal from them, but he's not tanking them if Scott wants to put him down.

I see Cyclops taking 9/10 in this scenario. If Wolverine started in an unknown location, then I can see Wolverine putting up a decent fight, but the chances of Scott getting a KO in the first few seconds with overwhelming force is really high if they start off with line of sight.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

It has begun...

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BappyRonChantin

This is a hard call. Cyke will keep busting wolverine and Wolverine will keep coming back. Counting tactics as one of Cyke's skillset, he probably has better chances as long as Logan doesn't come close and stab his claws through Cyke's neck.

Let them fight. Meanwhile I grab a popcorn with Jean.

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got to go with Wolverine on this one, but it could go either way. Both are pretty dominant, and even without prep time they both know each other pretty well. It would ultimately come down to how pissed Wolverine is. If he starts raging things are going to get pretty hairy for Cyclops (get it?, cus Wolverine is hairy!) Cyclops only real shot would be putting James down quick.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I don't think Scott can win if Logan has his healing. He would just outlast him.

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Didn't the nowhere-near-as-experienced Ultimate Cyke kick the twice-as-powerful-healing-factor Ultimate Wolverine's ass?

clayscarface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I think it comes down to mood more than anything else. How pissed off at each other are they that day? If it's bad enough, we all know Cyke could open up the floodgates and take this, no problem. Same could be said for Logan if he's driven enough to get to Cyke and go to town, but if for some reason they go a route that draws the encounter out a bit, it's going to get a bit more interesting. In hand-to-hand, I'd have to give it to Wolverine. Just with his durability and his close-quarters weapons, he's got a significant upper hand. What really balances it, though, is how well they know each other. It's not like some other random encounters for Wolverine where people may not know about his healing factor so they would hold back. Cyclops knows what Logan is capable of coming back from, so he doesn't have to stop himself. Like others have said, it's not like this fight hasn't happened before in print, and it's gone both ways. While (as a fanboy) I really want to say that Cyke would take this, I have to go with too close to call. It depends too much on their mood on any given day to really predict how it would all pan out. Cyke could obliterate Logan before he closes in, or it could wind up in hand-to-hand and Logan just needs really one good hit with the claws to shut Scott down.

Avatar image for surfingthehighway
SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grinderkiller1: Hello and welcome, bub. I'm new here too. Let's root for Cyclops together, lol.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting indeed.

I would have to go with Cyclops. He has the range advantage and pound for pound damage inducer. The cover provided by random items and debris on the street could help Wolverine close the distance, but Cyclops is well aware of Wolvie's capabilities and he's the superior tactician.

Enderof295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine and Cyclops have fought each other so many times over the years that they each know the other's typical tactics far too well. If they are both in character, then Scott would be less willing to kill than Wolverine. Scott may kill if it is necessary, but he would most likely incapacitate.

Looking at the physicals, Wolverine with his healing factor can take a lot of damage. Physically, Wolverine is stronger, faster, and more durable than Cyclops. Assuming Wolverine can close the distance without getting knocked by an optic blast, then there is a very good chance that Wolverine will turn Cyclops into a pin cushion. However, even if Cyclops misses with an optic blast, there is still a chance that he would plan for the blast to ricochet off of something to strike Wolverine. I think this fight is going to be too close to call. I think each one could take 5/10. In the end, they decide to go to Harry's and get a drink.

Blackice709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine guts laser boy

Avatar image for deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba
deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I have made this argument before...

Wolverine is one of the best fighters in Marvel comics, whether from skill or from his brutal viscousness. He has trained for years to kill, or to do whatever he needs to do to be able to win. His levels of offense and regeneration allow him to tangle with people far outside his weight class...

However, Cyclops has been trained from being a teen to do 2 things.

1. Be a strategic mastermind: Scott is one of the best field strategists in comics, Nick Fury and Captain America have both said this. While otter people in the X-Men are out living their life, Scott is studying strategy. While they are on their own adventures, he is training in the danger room. While they are taking classes, he is teaching classes. He has plans in place fore just about every contingency that he could encounter with his team.

3. The biggest problem however is going to come in Scott's second biggest strength, Scott knows his team better than most of them do. He knows their strengths, their skills, the tendencies, and more importantly their weaknesses. Scott knows that Logan can take a massive beating, he knows that he will be in major trouble if he fights him in hand to hand. He knows exactly how to make the fight his kind of fight. He knows Logan's psychology, and how he will react.

The setting is fairly even, it is far enough away to give Scott a first shot, but also in a setting will give Logan places to duck and dive behind.

In an empty setting with no civilians, there is no reason Scott will not open up with blasts that will take down a building.

Scott is not going to try to fire directly at Logan straight from the start, that is just not a good tactic. He will sweep the area with wide blasts, blast down a wall or an entire building to corral Wolverine to set up the one big shot he will need to take him down. He might even get lucky to pin logan in sets of building sized rubble.

In the end, Scott will win this fight, it will not be because of his optic blast, Logan loses to Scott's mind.

Scott: 6 maybe 7/10

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#29  Edited By BatWatch

Okay, I'm voting for Cyclops unless somebody can give me a single reason Wolverine should win in this fight. A single powerful blast would be enough to KO him, and that's all it takes to win. Cyclops has enough energy to wipe out the entire street. The city is abandoned, so he doesn't have to hold back for civilian casualties. Wolverine is exposed at the beginning of the match with only slight cover available to him, so Cyclops can just unleash for a quick win. If he weren't able to score a quick victory, he could just clear out some space and wait for Wolverine to attack.

To address some pro-Wolverine points:

It doesn't matter how many times Wolverine can heal from Cyclops' blasts. Cyclops just has to score a KO to win the match by the terms set in OP.

It doesn't matter how ticked Wolverine is. I understand he has a feral rage thing that can boost him a bit, but it wont do squat when Scott melts all his muscles.

Wolverine can take a lot of punishment, but from what I've seen, Wolverin is not super durable but rather he has super healing; a blow that would instantly kill a human is going to KO Wolverine. Scott's blasts are definitely capable of instant lethality.

Wolverine's superior hand to hand combat would definitely score him a win if he could closet the gap, but I don't see a likelihood of that happening considering that Scott starts with line of sight to Logan and can easily destroy any cover Logan might take.

I still see Cyclops taking 9/10, and I am not fanboying. I don't like Cyclops other than as a foil for other more likable characters.

kcjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batwatch: I completely agree. Starting apart Wolverine shouldn't stand a chance. If the fight starts face to face, then Wolverine would probably win.

Roy_el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine is my favorite x-man but i think scott gets right to it and knocks wolverine out with a massive blast.

He knows not to screw around scrapping with logan.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

saying it here first: SINISTER VS CYCLOPS

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolvie in the long run.

nateb1211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with most people on that it would be pretty close to call. The thing that could be the deciding factor to me is this rule: Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination. To me this rule is a little vague in terms of this fight. Now we all know Wolverine can heal himself back up to fighting status, but the more serious his injuries are the longer it takes for him to heal fully. So if Cyclops gets off a crazy powerful optic blast that leaves Wolverine practically burned to a crisp, does that count as an incapacitation, even though he can still recover from it?

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By medulaoblaganda

@blacklegraph: wolverine can dodge every cyclops blast if he wants to. i root for wolverine

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That fight in Schism was enough for me. Still can't wait for the results on this battle

me too man, me too. that fight plus sentinels bent on destroying them was awesome. :D

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The power of his optics blacts, his uncanny accuracy, his brilliant mind as a leader and strategist.
I have to give the victory to Cyclops on this one.
I am sure he can remove the flesh from the bones of Logan's legs and it's an automatic win.

No movement.
No fight.

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott takes it 8/10 with the specified rules...the starting distance, the lack of risk for civilian casualties, and fighting to incapacitate / KO, not kill all give scott a solid edge. As others have said, there is zero reason for him not have a "get off my lawn" moment and unleash. Wolverine can heal from almost anything, but he can still be knocked out and healing can take some time the more severe the damage is.

Honestly, while Logan does indeed hold a solid advantage in close quarters, that's not even a guarantee for his win. Scott has already demonstrated that he is capable of at least hanging with Wolverine to a degree in melee encounters. Wolverine is a highly trained fighter, but often when he goes rage-mode...his training seems to go out the window and he reverts to his brawler/berserker tendencies. Becoming less the trained fighter and more the animal...Scott stays the trained fighter the entire time. Even if Logan can close the gap, he is only one well placed blast away from being sent flying away. Giving Scott the range advantage once again.

Hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A gun with unlimited ammo, no reloads and massive firepower vs a self-healing melee fighter.

As history has shown us, go with the gun.

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

@k4tzm4n: (*enters 100% sarcastic tone*) "Its bias i tell you, this is only a popularity contest." *sees my character winning* "guys the right character is winning, dont say its a popularity contest, better arguments won this one"

grinderkiller1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By nefarious

I think Wolverine wins.

Avatar image for surfingthehighway
SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Koays

Just going to let this sit here as a reminder of Cyke at close range

No Caption Provided
HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n YOU SEE WHAT YOUS STARTED!? THERE IS NOW A SCHISM IN THE COMICVINE COMMUNITY!

now @wolverine08 is gonna start a freaking academy and name it after a woman who wasn't really into him and @god_spawn is going going to run a facility off into the distant wilderness shunned by his peers even though said peers are a BUNCH OF IDEALISTIC HYPOCRITES!!!

im sorry, i had a lot of sugar. *hits the floor to do push ups*

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Wolverine008
god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#47 god_spawn  Moderator

Wow. What I said would happen in the other thread as far as this debate would go has happened more than I expected.

Avatar image for tylerdurden7272
TylerDurden7272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batwatch said:

Okay, I'm voting for Cyclops unless somebody can give me a single reason Wolverine should win in this fight. A single powerful blast would be enough to KO him, and that's all it takes to win. Cyclops has enough energy to wipe out the entire street. The city is abandoned, so he doesn't have to hold back for civilian casualties. Wolverine is exposed at the beginning of the match with only slight cover available to him, so Cyclops can just unleash for a quick win. If he weren't able to score a quick victory, he could just clear out some space and wait for Wolverine to attack.

To address some pro-Wolverine points:

It doesn't matter how many times Wolverine can heal from Cyclops' blasts. Cyclops just has to score a KO to win the match by the terms set in OP.

It doesn't matter how ticked Wolverine is. I understand he has a feral rage thing that can boost him a bit, but it wont do squat when Scott melts all his muscles.

Wolverine can take a lot of punishment, but from what I've seen, Wolverin is not super durable but rather he has super healing; a blow that would instantly kill a human is going to KO Wolverine. Scott's blasts are definitely capable of instant lethality.

Wolverine's superior hand to hand combat would definitely score him a win if he could closet the gap, but I don't see a likelihood of that happening considering that Scott starts with line of sight to Logan and can easily destroy any cover Logan might take.

I still see Cyclops taking 9/10, and I am not fanboying. I don't like Cyclops other than as a foil for other more likable characters.

I want to address your point about Logan's Feral Rage. If he was in his Berserker Rage it would be a stomp, plain and simple. A lot of people who are new to Wolverine or only read modern Wolverine don't know what his Berserker Rage is. It's not just him getting pissed off, it's him giving in to the animal. His speed doubles, his strength doubles and his damage soak and healing factor triples. Wolverine was able to take on entire Alien and Demonic armies before while in his rage, he was able to beat the Hulk so bad that he almost killed him and he was able to incapacitate his own master before. Luckily for Cyclops though Wolverine hasn't been in a true Berserker Rage for like 20 years.. Anyway considering that, I'm gona give this to Scott. Not because of his power but because of that brain of his.

Avatar image for ocareyinfluence
ocareyinfluence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine takes this. He has taken blasts from Cyclops before and kept coming. He has the durability and the skill to outmanuver him. Wolverine regularly fights the Hulk. Cyclops eye blasts are concussive and as powerful as they are, the Hulk's punches are AT LEAST as strong.

When the XMen fought Hulk in during WWH, Hulk absolutley owned Wolverine by holding him down and repeatedly pounding on his skull saying he may not kill him but he can maybe give him brain damage. And that was the Hulk being able to keep Wolverine stationary long enough to even do that.
Cyclops doesn't have the capabilities Hulk had necassary to hold Wolverine in place long enough to unleash the power required to keep him down for the count. Once Wolverine is up close Cyclops is done for.

Avatar image for ocareyinfluence
ocareyinfluence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays:

Go ahead. It actually works against your argument. Not only is that not Wolverine being blasted, the person who it is absolutley survived. It was Mr Sinister faking his own death to make Cyclops think he killed him.