Battle of the Week: Bane vs. Daredevil

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

It's time for another Batman villain to enter the Battle of the Week! Our latest fight is sure to have a lot of painful punches and we imagine it'll take quite some time before either of these combatants goes down for the count. In one corner, we have Bane, the brilliant and brutal villain who broke the bat. Will his combination of skill, savagery, and pain tolerance lead him to victory? In the other corner, we have Matt Murdock, a.k.a. Daredevil, the swift man without fear. Will his technique, agility, and reflexes give him the edge? Both are superb fighters with different mentalities and they bring different advantages to the table, but which one will you side with? Or do you think this one is too close to call?

Please remember there's no need to vote right away, so make sure you really think this one through before casting your vote. Which advantages hold more weight in the brawl? Do either of them have any disadvantages that could play a major role? How will their tactics benefit them? We strongly encourage you to take some time to imagine how it would go down before voting!

No Caption Provided

Match Rules

• Combatants are in character. This means their usual set of morals apply.
  • This is a random encounter (no prep for either side). Both sides have no immediate knowledge of their opponents, either.
  • This is Pre-52 Bane and he's wearing the same venom set-up he had during Knightfall. Aside from that, he's unarmed. Daredevil is equipped with two of his usual billy clubs.
  • The fight takes place in Times Square, during the day. The city is unpopulated and everything is on limits.
  • They begin 40 feet apart.
  • Incapacitation, knockout, death or submission/surrender all count as elimination.
  • Hey, you know what would be really cool? Treating everyone else in the debate with respect. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. Seriously, this is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging.
  • If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than just complaining.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs.
No Caption Provided

Check the homepage this Friday for an updated article with the following:

• The results of the poll.
  • Thoughts from the staff.
  • Viner arguments for both characters.
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Want to make a match suggestion for one of Batman's villains? (We can use three more before the theme changes!) Tell us below or share it via twitter.

lmothander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

First - Bane

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Too close to call for me.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 juiceboks  Moderator

Backing Matt.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

DD208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Once Daredevil realizes/senses Bane has the Venom hookup he'd instantly go for the tubes. Sure he may take a bit of a beating before he gets there but eventually he'd unplug them and win.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm not good at determining these fights, but I think DD vs. Nuke in Born Again would be a good resource for figuring out how he'd fare against Bane.

fredtheredfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BANE ALL THE WAY!

Nightwing1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This would be a great fight. While Daredevil would put up a good fight with speed and agility with alot of hits, Once Bane gets hold of Daredevil it's over... but it might not be as quick as one thinks.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By donmeca2020

Daredevil is a formidable opponent, similar to batman in some ways. But pre 52 Bane is pretty much a high level street villian on means of strength and intellect.

I believe they would duke it out for awhile, but while bane starts pumping more venom into His system he's really going in for the kill or to take DD out.

Unless DD thinks quick,and im sure he'll give the big mofo a good fight. i feel bane will take him out.

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Definitely Bane.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's already late night here.. I will play at photoshop tomorrow haha

Avatar image for thenaughtytitan
TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nerve strikes, Daredevil FTW......

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How fast did the venom set up in Knightfall use the venom? Could DD keep the fight going long enough for Bane to run out?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I think Matt's skill, pressure point knowledge and agility should provide the necessary counterbalance to Bane's raw strength, pain tolerance and savagery in battle here. Might see what the other arguments say though from those in a better position to know about either of these characters.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Daredevil could beat Bane whether he's on Venom or not.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_leno said:

How fast did the venom set up in Knightfall use the venom? Could DD keep the fight going long enough for Bane to run out?

Easily. If Matt can beat the likes of Mr Hyde then he can beat Bane.

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going with Daredevil here. He has already fought opponents as deadly or deadlier than Bane and won (i.e. Mr. Hyde and Absorbing Man) and is fast enough to dodge bullets and even swat one with a billy club. Bane won't be able to sneak up on him because Daredevil will immediately sense him as he can hear a pin drop from a good distance away. If the Hand can't sneak up on him in his sleep, Bane won't either.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once Daredevil realizes/senses Bane has the Venom hookup he'd instantly go for the tubes. Sure he may take a bit of a beating before he gets there but eventually he'd unplug them and win.

Which would be almost instantly since he'd hear those tubes a mile away.

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am really leaning towards Daredevil here.

ElderSkaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pre 52 Bane? Okay this is much closer but I'd still give it to Bane in a close fight.. He is stronger, more durable and can take a hell lot of pain before going down, in fact even bullets are no match for him.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bane has the smarts and skills to tackle Daredevil. I think it'd be close, maybe 6/10 for Bane, but I think he has an edge in both intelligence and physicals.

ElderSkaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bane has the smarts and skills to tackle Daredevil. I think it'd be close, maybe 6/10 for Bane, but I think he has an edge in both intelligence and physicals.

why is it close if he has all the edges? :O

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@jonny_anonymous said:

@g_leno said:

I don't think that's a fair comparison since Bane isn't a sloppy fighter with zero technique. I think it's a fair way to discussing Matt's knowledge of pressure points, but I don't think "if he can beat Hyde, he can beat Bane" is a fair comparison because the only parallel is they're both stronger than Matt. I'd say that's where the similarities end, though.

As for g_leno's question, it's an almost immediate boost. It never seemed like there was an almost immediate boost. He's still formidable without it, though.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

close match but ill give it to DD . i feel DD can figure out the venom apparatus and weaken him with that. if bane is still concious it becomes a very hardcore melee brawl.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daredevil in a tough fight.

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Way lesser than dd have beaten bane,, so how is bane without prep even going to have a chance against Matt?? Now if bane got to plan ahead and set traps for dd or even knew he was blind,, then he would have at least a chance,, but not in this or most scenarios..

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

pressure points...

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@g_leno said:

I don't think that's a fair comparison since Bane isn't a sloppy fighter with zero technique. I think it's a fair way to discussing Matt's knowledge of pressure points, but I don't think "if he can beat Hyde, he can beat Bane" is a fair comparison because the only parallel is they're both stronger than Matt. I'd say that's where the similarities end, though.

I'm saying if he can last hanging with Hyde who is far stronger than Bane then he could last hanging with Bane. (Even though it wouldn't come to that)

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also I think something is wrong with the polls...I just voted 4 times...not sure which votes went through or if they all did....

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Matt using pressure points to beat a class 70 to class 100 level opponent so I don think bane will be much of a problem...

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DD has a solid shot at winning

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: it's still not a good comparison. Hyde is a jobber where as bane is very skilled and competent. I agree Matt is more skilled and should win but you are underestimating bane.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: He's isn't anymore a jobber than what Bane is. Also DD has been able to take down the likes of Nuke, Absorbing Man and the Wrecking Crew.

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44:

but it does show he can use pressure points on higher level durability opponents and can take punches from much much stronger than bane....

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@newecho said:

Way lesser than dd have beaten bane,, so how is bane without prep even going to have a chance against Matt?? Now if bane got to plan ahead and set traps for dd or even knew he was blind,, then he would have at least a chance,, but not in this or most scenarios..

Since when did Bane need prep to be a formidable combatant? Ask Dick Grayson, Jean-Paul Valley, Tim Drake, Catman, and Batman about that -- each will admit Bane isn't someone to take lightly if you bump into him, with or without venom.

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

The Problem for Bane is there's no prep. He's smart but I feel DD has the advantage in adapting to a foe since he braves the streets voluntarily. If Bane amps the venom he gives up some of that intelligence. DD wins but only by keeping his wits and dodging the heavy blows of Bane.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given the tangles he's gotten into with Kingpin (himself tactical and shockingly fast as well as strong), Matt won't exactly be a fish out of water when fighting Bane. And a Pre-52 Bane on venom is merely a 2-tonner. Not something really above and beyond the normal gamut of opponents/rogues Daredevil has routinely faced.

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n:

I never said he wouldn't be formidable just wouldn't win... He loses most every fight he is in that doesn't involve him having a plan....besides the only one who beats matt of the ones you mentioned is bruce,, while nightwing would be a good debate, but the others wouldn't

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Gracetrack

The man who "broke the Bat" breaks Murdock. And unlike with Batman, he doesn't need advanced prep time to do it. This is more akin to fighting Nightwing than it is Batman. Not forgetting that Bane also has his venom, if needed... but I really don't think he needs it here. Bane won't hesitate to cripple or kill.

Bane wins 6-7/10 in good fights.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@newecho said:

@k4tzm4n:

I never said he wouldn't be formidable just wouldn't win... He loses most every fight he is in that doesn't involve him having a plan....besides the only one who beats matt of the ones you mentioned is bruce,, while nightwing would be a good debate, but the others wouldn't

The implication was he needs prep "to have a chance" and I firmly believe that couldn't be further from the truth. And those comparisons weren't saying "these people are better than Matt." There's no ABC logic comparison there; just citing the people who he's given a tough time or defeated in random encounters to illustrate the point that he doesn't need time to research or set traps. I'm not saying Bane wins, I'm saying Bane needing prep to potentially win is a misconception. So is strength being his biggest advantage.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Edge to Daredevil.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: He's isn't anymore a jobber than what Bane is.

Hyde is a huge jobber. He is suppose to be a thor villain but he's lost to street levellers more than once. Bane isn't even a jobber at all. I'm not sure where you got that impression....I am guessing the new 52. Pre new 52 Bane was fairly respectable though.

Also DD has been able to take down the likes of Nuke, Absorbing Man and the Wrecking Crew.

Neither of them are similar to Bane at all. Bane has defeated JPV (someone with decent skills, 7 ton strength, and super speed), Nightwing and has given batman some solid fights and even nearly drowned him. Unlike these people Bane actually knows how to fight. You seem to be under the impression Bane is just some dumb brute. Its the only reason I could imagine you would be making comparisons to these types of enemies. Bane is highly intelligent and skilled and is nothing like the characters you listed.

@newecho said:

@jashro44:

but it does show he can use pressure points on higher level durability opponents and can take punches from much much stronger than bane....

Yes if Matt seizes Banes breathing than Bane will lose. With that said the act of actually hitting Bane with a pressure point will be a lot harder since Bane knows how to fight. Matt can take punches from Bane--I don't think anyone with knowledge of Matt would say otherwise--but unlike Hyde Bane will do things like snap bones or use submissions holds and other techniques. Bane uses precision unlike Hyde.

Again I think Matt wins. So I am going to ask you to stop debating me on this subject because I want to argue for Matt since he is losing the poll and I think he is a very underrated character. I'm just saying its not fair to compare Bane and Hyde. Bane is a vastly better fighter. You guys want to argue Matt can put Bane down with pressure points; thats fine, but lets at least acknowledge that Bane being a skilled fighter will make it hard for Matt to land that blow.

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DD enhanced senses will make it easy for him to evade Banes attacks for only so long. DD would be able to sense the Venom pump being used to fuel Bane and cut it or pull it out. At this point, Matt's fighting skills should be enough to finish him off.

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: while Bane is skilled he is certainly not on the same lvl as Captain America or Batman. (which is generally in the same area as Daredevil though Cap and Bats are a little more skilled)

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Bane isn't fooling around and hits him as hard as he hit JPV in their second encounter (when Bane was off venom), Daredevil is going to be in a world of hurt.

I'll give it to Bane with a slight majority.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daredevil would win 8/10

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: I know exactly what Bane is and isn't capable of

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@serrure said:

@jashro44: while Bane is skilled he is certainly not on the same lvl as Captain America or Batman. (which is generally in the same area as Daredevil though Cap and Bats are a little more skilled)

He is. Batman has only beaten pre new 52 Bane once and even than Bane nearly drowned him so even that is debatable. I would say Bruce had the upper hand in other fights but he never did win those either. Nightwing wouldn't get stomped by someone who isn't on batmans level. JPV has stalemated deathstroke and even beaten batman, yet Bane did win round one with him.

Bane is noticeably less skilled than cap, batman, and daredevil but I think he is on the same tier. He's just on the lower end of that tier. But his physicals make up for that. Again I think Matt wins but people need to give Bane his credit.

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

@serrure said:

He is. Batman has only beaten pre new 52 Bane once and even than Bane nearly drowned him so even that is debatable. I would say Bruce had the upper hand in other fights but he never did win those either. Nightwing wouldn't get stomped by someone who isn't on batmans level. JPV has stalemated deathstroke and even beaten batman, yet Bane did win round one with him.

Bane is noticeably less skilled than cap, batman, and daredevil but I think he is on the same tier. He's just on the lower end of that tier. But his physicals make up for that. Again I think Matt wins but people need to give Bane his credit.

you're right... thats a good point.