k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
No Caption Provided

Many of us comic book fans love discussing what would happen if our favorite heroes and villains got into a fight. Sure, we all appreciate great story arcs, but considering these characters' incredible abilities and skills, it makes sense we'zd wonder how they'd fare if they had to fight one another. There's a few really big matches that have kept people debating for years. Wolverine vs. Spider-Man, Captain America vs. Batman, and Thor vs. Hulk are a few that immediately come to mind. Someone reading this right now is probably ranting about why one of those matches shouldn't be debatable because the outcome should be obvious. That just goes to show how passionate many of us are about this subject. It seems silly, but it's what we're really into and you should embrace what you love. Now, one battle is the most popular and it's also one of the more interesting ones. Obviously, we're talking about Batman vs. Superman!

Sure, this brawl gets a lot of discussion because they're two of the most iconic heroes, but what makes this really interesting is the fact they bring completely different advantages to the table. Both heroes have gifted minds, but one relies on skill, a sharp tactical brain, and vast resources. The other is immensely powerful and has a variety of abilities.

They're sad and disappointed because you're thinking about them as enemies and not as friends.
They're sad and disappointed because you're thinking about them as enemies and not as friends.

When someone is asked who would win in a fight between these two, there tends to be two pretty common answers. The first says Batman wins because he's brilliant and knows how to take advantage of Kal-El's weaknesses. Batman may not be as strong or as fast as his opponent, but his resources and tactics should lead him to victory. The second says Superman wins because his physical advantage is ginormous. Even with Batman utilizing his weaknesses, his sheer speed, durability, strength, and powers gives him plenty of ways to bring the fight to a swift conclusion.

So, which is more valuable? Huge power or a focus on tactics? Well, it's not that simple because there's several things to take into account. When the question is posed, some people think it means these two just bump into each other while on patrol and then decide to go all out; they'll do anything to win. If that happened (morals off, random encounter), Superman obviously wins that because he could technically destroy Bruce with a single hit and his speed grants him a huge advantage. Kal-El not holding back means he has a big edge in that scenario, but a situation like that would of course never happen and it disregards how these characters act in combat. Neither one would want to kill or seriously harm the other. Even when Superman loses control (brainwashing tends to happen a lot in their universe), he's still usually not fully unleashing. So, if someone asks "Who wins if these two randomly bump into one another and neither is holding back?" Well, the answer should be obvious enough; that's just an unfair situation for Bruce. Luckily for Gotham's protector, that's probably not going to happen in a canon comic.

Superman and Batman have fought several times in comics and plot is always critical. Without it, there's no good reason why these two would ever be at odds. Unless it's an Elseworlds comic or a sparring session, these two aren't just going to go, "Hey there, want to fight?" When they do fight, there's often circumstances that alters one of them. We've seen Batman possessed or on a new version of venom, Superman mind-controlled, so on and so on. Give these two standard gear and make them fight in a random encounter, Superman's clearly going to take it. But there's always a plot and it always keeps things interesting... even if the character you're rooting for doesn't win. Let's go ahead and discuss some of the most memorable fights they've had in comics.

BATMAN #36. Joker-ized Superman vs. a heavily armed and prepared Batman.
BATMAN #36. Joker-ized Superman vs. a heavily armed and prepared Batman.

Last week, Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo's second chapter of Engame came out. The Justice League has been "Joker-ized" and they're trying to take Batman down. Unfortunately for them, Snyder reveals that Batman has an amazing armor which takes advantage of his allies' weaknesses. You know, just in case he ever needs to slug it out with them and fighting between heroes is pretty common in their universe. The armor and weaponry really gives a lot of love to Batman's intelligence and creativity. Thanks to some assistance from Ray Palmer, his knuckles have miniature red sons and he has features which defend him against Superman's heat vision and freeze breath. Not shabby, right?

Even after giving Superman a few good punches to the face, this out-of-character Superman still finds a way to regain the edge. He's able to tear apart the armor, grabs Batman and begins to fly straight up. If he wanted to, Superman could have ended it there. Bruce was vulnerable for a few moments, but instead of killing him, Superman's taunting him and this gives Bruce the opening he needs. Knowing he'd encounter the titan, Bruce had a last resort put in place: Kryptonite gum. That's right, he spits it in Kal-El's eye and that allows him to technically win the fight. It's worth noting that Snyder also said the Joker-ized heroes aren't "completely at full strength." As far as I know, this is the only definitive win Batman has over Superman in a canon comic.

JUSTICE LEAGUE #2. No prep encounter between Superman and Batman.
JUSTICE LEAGUE #2. No prep encounter between Superman and Batman.

In Geoff Johns and Jim Lee'sJUSTICE LEAGUE #2, Batman throws everything he has at Superman. Nothing works and nothing even fazes the alien. Just so you know, Bruce was still learning about Superman at this point, and what he discovered is that nothing in his belt is going to help him stop the Man of Steel. This just goes to show that unless Batman has special gear on him or factors in the plot that are working heavily in his favor, it's a pretty one-sided fight, even when neither wants to seriously injure the other one.

BATMAN #612. Batman with Kryptonite Ring vs. a Poison Ivy controlled Superman.
BATMAN #612. Batman with Kryptonite Ring vs. a Poison Ivy controlled Superman.

Then there's the memorable battle by Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee in BATMAN #612. There's two factors here which make things especially interesting. The first is Batman's wearing a Kryptonite Ring and the second is Superman's being influenced by Poison Ivy. On top of that, Batman lures Superman into a setting that limits the amount of damage Superman can dish out. Now, this is a fight that has the epic double page spread of Batman punching Superman in the face. People tend to post that and think it means Bruce Wayne dominated the fight, but it's leaving out a lot of the context. Even with several things working in his favor, Bruce has some critical inner dialogue. While Lee's exciting panels seem to show Batman in the lead, the script reveals just how much Batman is in trouble. At one point, he mentions that one more punch will break every bone in his hand and he notices that Superman is holding back a lot and could "squish" him if the Man of Steel really wanted to. Even when Batman has the green ring on, he still recognizes it's going to be one hell of a struggle for him and ultimately, he requires Catwoman and Lois Lane to make it out of this one in one piece. Come to think of it, I'm not really sure how the ring alone can help save Bruce from a bloodlusted Clark Kent. I mean, if Superman has totally lost it, how is that going to save Batman from a bombardment of heat vision or freeze breath? But hey, I guess it's better than nothing.

Finally, there's a limited series you might have heard of called THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS. Frank Miller's story takes place in the future. Superman has become the government's puppet and they want him to stop Batman. In this fight, Batman goes all out and, thanks to a kryptonite arrow fired by Green Arrow, he's able to put a hurting on Superman before his heart stops and he fakes his own death. Yes, this fight is all about the story's theme, but even in this one, it shows that Batman's unlikely to take the edge on his own. Before the arrow is fired, Superman is holding back and Batman's dialogue shows just how well the fight is going for him. "Wrist... crushed. Ribs moving... with a life of their own... and Clark... just broke... a sweat. Now... if Oliver doesn't show up..." This is before Batman manages to make the alien mad, too. Up until that point, Superman's thoughts make it clear he's holding back and doesn't want to harm the human. However, once the Emerald Archer fires the special arrow, it gives Bruce the edge he needs to land some brutal hits and even make the hero bleed.

THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS #4. Prepped Batman with Green Arrow vs. Superman.
THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS #4. Prepped Batman with Green Arrow vs. Superman.

Can the Caped Crusader defeat the Man of Steel? Of course he can, but it'll take extra gear, a focus on how much he's prepared for the fight, and it should be executed by a great writer -- someone who will give both the characters respect. Even if Bruce does manage to take it, it's still an enormous uphill struggle for him and shouldn't be easy by any measure whatsoever. And Big Blue shouldn't be downplayed, either. The guy is a genius as well -- something people tend to forget. Still, the odds are stacked against Batman, so most encounters will end with Kal-El having the edge unless there's other pivotal factors to take into account (does he have extra equipment? Are there other characters on Bruce's side? What's going on in the story?). Many of us will agree Superman has the edge, but the fact we're even having this discussion just goes to show that Batman is quite a badass. I mean, we're talking about what is essentially a very well trained and wealthy human taking on one of the planet's most powerful heroes, and people are still debating about it. Pretty impressive, yeah? No matter who you're rooting for, let's just be happy we live in a universe where both of these awesome heroes exist.

No Caption Provided

If someone asked you who wins in a fight between these two DC heroes, how would you respond?

Diegotobaski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, too close to call, tooooooooo close to call

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#2  Edited By GustavoBurciaga1

The answer is no one, no one wins.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Oh lord....

Avatar image for kaang_the_watcher
Kaang_the_Watcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the fight of prep vs power, prep is heavily limited by what resources the prepper has available to him.
Which really just means that there will probably never be a definitive win between these two, since Batman will always have exactly the tools that the writer at the time wants him to have, no more and no less.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
Z___

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Z___

The answer is if Batman is ever gaining the upper-hand in an actual fight against Superman. It's a bunch of PIS bull.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If someone asked me, I'd say "Read the comics, and then judge for yourself" because there really is no right answer to this question. Ultimately I just think it's kind of stupid to ask, since Batman is a street level hero, and Supes is a god level hero, so why even care that much to begin with? If they did fight it would always be 100% circumstance and that's just not a very interesting fight.

Interesting article though.

doctorrooroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By doctorrooroo

Superman would beat Batman,like ever other moke who uses a supertech suit, and kryptonite laced fiber. He could throw a damn steel beam from miles away,at supersonic fast as light speed.Batman wouldnt even see it coming.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9 dernman  Online

For Batman to have a chance at winning they have to dumb Superman down to that of a box of rocks.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By BeaconofStrength

This title should be changed to "Goku vs Superman".

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Superman, the answer to this question is always Superman.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@beaconofstrength said:

My knowledge of anime is UNDER 0!!!!!!!!!!!!

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@beaconofstrength said:

Better yet, you should never make that article, because the moment you do Comic Vine will erupt into a flame war the likes of which have never been seen before.

capelibra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By capelibra

As fun as this was to read, I ignore most talk about Character-X vs. Character-Y because of all the "...what ifs" and "...what abouts" and "...don't forgets" mentioned above. I like the YouTube channel Screw Attacks because they make it easy. Here's Character-X's powers and weaknesses, here's Character-Y's. Screw personalities, screw innocent bystanders. Here's what would happen if they fought to the death (the episode where Superman destroys Earth in order to kill Goku was pretty awesome). If those were the parameters (and you can argue that every fight should be "to the end", otherwise just sit down, talk and work it out) then Superman would kill Bats a thousand over.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bladewolf

One of my friends said it best: "Of course Superman wins. But what's interesting is how Batman fights back and how long he can last." Great article @k4tzm4n!

dorukesin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

of course Batgod

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman without prep. Batman with prep.

Diegotobaski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry, but what prep does supes have to do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Still don't think these two should ever fight. They are brothers even though they are almost polar opposites. I much prefer seeing them as friends than fighting.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be difficult to write an actual fight between Batman and Superman where Superman is actually trying. Once Superman gets the upper hand Batman is dead.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would tell them what Bruce said, "Who wins in a fight? The answer is always the same. Neither of us." Although I personally always enjoyed seeing Batman win because in the real world no one is so genetically gifted that they don't need to work at all in order to achieve success. Batman's victory conveys a message of determination beating genetic potential.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@beaconofstrength said:

Better yet, you should never make that article, because the moment you do Comic Vine will erupt into a flame war the likes of which have never been seen before.

I was shocked when I found that Goku vs Superman debates get even more heated than Batman vs Superman. I never knew that peoples passions for Dragonball Z ran that high.

Avatar image for kaang_the_watcher
Kaang_the_Watcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BATMAN VS SUPERMAN!

Who wins?

We do.

Frisky4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Frisky4

Chewforce stomps

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lurkero said:

It would be difficult to write an actual fight between Batman and Superman where Superman is actually trying. Once Superman gets the upper hand Batman is dead.

Clark was trying to kill Bruce in Batman 36.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theocitylegend said:

@captainmarvel4ever said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@beaconofstrength said:

I was shocked when I found that Goku vs Superman debates get even more heated than Batman vs Superman. I never knew that peoples passions for Dragonball Z ran that high.

Dude most DBZ fans are crazy. Don't get me wrong, I love it too (even though I admit it's actually a pretty bad series) but most of the fanbase is kinda nuts. Heck Comic Vine has forbidden any fights that involve DBZ characters in the Battle Forum, because the flame wars got too intense.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

As always, quite the article @k4tzm4n

Honestly, outside of the battle of the week you host on the main page, I stay away from battle forums because it almost tainted my perception of comic book fights and sucked the fun right out of them. All I care about is the plot and whether or not both characters were given respect, and I don't care whether it's PIS or not (a term that I absolutely hate btw).

As for Batman vs Superman, well I personally root for the character I like more, which is Batman but also because the idea of a man without powers beating, or at least holding his own against a man with so many abilities is compelling, and it's also a rare case in which you can call Batman the "underdog".

The fights in Hush and Endgame absolutely blew my mind away, and I find myself reading them over and over again simply because a) both had extremely strong art b) both characters were given respect by the writer c) the scenarios actually do work and the writer doesn't sugarcoat the encounter.

So when I am asked "Who wins in a fight between Batman and Superman?", if the writer shows both respect my answer is "the fans".

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Make love, not war.

No Caption Provided

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lurkero said:

Yes, but imagine if instead of wasting time flying into the air, Superman snapped Batman's neck as soon as the armor broke apart. Writers use those kind of plot conveniences to build suspense.

deadcool_XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

If someone asked me, I'd say "Read the comics, and then judge for yourself" because there really is no right answer to this question. Ultimately I just think it's kind of stupid to ask, since Batman is a street level hero, and Supes is a god level hero, so why even care that much to begin with? If they did fight it would always be 100% circumstance and that's just not a very interesting fight.

Interesting article though.

Yeah, it totally depends on the story. Without batman's special gear he's dead, with it he can win.

deadcool_XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I also think it's not unfair for batman to get extra gear, because technically so does superman. If he was on krypton with the red sun, batman would wreck him, but hes not, and batman uses extra gear. The real winners of the fight are the companies, we always spend our money getting these sweet battle comics LOL.

ShiZZmAhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see the fight going like this:

Batman: I win because I--

Superman: *B*tch slaps Batman* I'm only 10+ times faster than light.

lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's that last panel from?

Also, miniature red sons and Kryptonite gum are some of the silliest things I've ever seen in a published comic.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine vs Spider-Man :)

Numbuh1Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like you said, if it's just a vacuum fight (no prep, no morals) then Superman would win hands down. In a likely fight, in which both Batman and Superman know it's going to go down, know each other, and have their moral codes and personalities to go by, Batman would win. "If Clark wanted to, he could use his superspeed and squish me into the cement. But I know how he thinks. Even more than the Kryptonite, he's got one big weakness. Deep down, Clark's essentially a good person... and deep down, I'm not."

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman 9/10

Batman 1/10

Avatar image for omniawesomeness
OmniAwesomeness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tag me for spoiler

GeekOfKrypton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GeekOfKrypton

I don't care what anybody says about this matchup, Batman would not win without cheating. I personally find this debate kinda ridiculous. Look at what Bruce did in Batman #612, he had to break a gas pipe so Superman couldn't use heat vision and Superman is usually mind controlled or something.

Up to now, there has not been one of those fights properly written. Its either kryptonite, red sun energy or he is not himself. We all know Superman being himself would not seriously hurt Bruce in a fight, he is so powerful that he has to consciously be mindful of moving amongst ordinary people. Again, Batman would have to cheat to win it would be like an insect fighting a God.

Don't mean to insult anyone here.

Reading the many debates about this famous fight online is fun tho so still a good article.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care what anybody says about this matchup, Batman would not win without cheating. I personally find this debate kinda ridiculous. Look at what Bruce did in Batman #612, he had to break a gas pipe so Superman couldn't use heat vision and Superman is usually mind controlled or something.

Up to now, there has not been one of those fights properly written. Its either kryptonite, red sun energy or he is not himself. We all know Superman being himself would not seriously hurt Bruce in a fight, he is so powerful that he has to consciously be mindful of moving amongst ordinary people. Again, Batman would have to cheat to win it would be like an insect fighting a God.

More like a bat fighting a god :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also Bat vs Supes debates are always dumb. And the most boring, one-sided fight there is in comicland. People who get salty about this are so hilarious.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Experio

Batman 11/10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lurkero said:

@theocitylegend said:
@lurkero said:

Yes, but imagine if instead of wasting time flying into the air, Superman snapped Batman's neck as soon as the armor broke apart. Writers use those kind of plot conveniences to build suspense.

Imagine if instead of fighting Superman, Bruce just shot him with with a kryptonite bullet. You argument goes both ways.

fps_dean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By fps_dean

Who wins? It depends if Batman has kryptonite or not really...

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By superhoodie

The fight between the two until a certain moment was not making me angry, which annoyed me a lot was the part where Batman spits out the Kryptonite Gum on Kal-El's face, the writer did not have to write a cliche phrase to appease, because once again the character been humiliated, even on the excuse he was out of control.

The scene reminded me, one fight between Pokemons

Batman used Kryptonite Gum!

It's super effective!

The opposing Superman fainted!

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lurkero said:

@theocitylegend said:
@lurkero said:

Imagine if instead of fighting Superman, Bruce just shot him with with a kryptonite bullet. You argument goes both ways.

Except Superman can dodge bullets....and has survived kryptonite in his system multiple times before.

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman: Hush has in my opinion the best fight between the two because of it's context, planning and resolution. Both characters come out looking good in the end and not just because it's Jim Lee drawing them.

@dernman said:

For Batman to have a chance at winning they have to dumb Superman down to that of a box of rocks.

It certainly feels like that some times.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theocitylegend said:

@lurkero said:

@theocitylegend said:
@lurkero said:

Except Superman can dodge bullets....and has survived kryptonite in his system multiple times before.

Also, let's not forget that, if Superman was serious, he could rip Batman's arm off before Batman raises it high enough to shoot. Superman rarely uses his super speed or laser eyes though.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like this blog.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Stan Lee said it best, "The winner is the person who is writing the story"

But since we have to be logical, Supeman(though my fanboyism says Batgod)

:Peace