Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator
caption
caption
Reed Richards vs. Batman in a chess match for the fate of their respective universes. If Richards wins Marvel survives and DC gets destroyed. If Batman wins DC survives and Marvel is destroyed.

caption
caption
Avatar image for the_man_of_yesteryear
The Man of Yesteryear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Reed

oldmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By oldmagic

Batman. Although Reed is smarter, he is only a scientist. Batman is a strategist. And chess is a field of battle for him. Batman takes this. 

The 502 Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By The 502 Kid

i say Batman, the Dark Knight using the Knights well FTW!!

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By The_Ghostshell
oldmagic said:
"Batman. Although Reed is smarter, he is only a scientist. Batman is a strategist. And chess is a field of battle for him. Batman takes this. "
nice post
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator
Gambler said:
"oldmagic said:
"Batman. Although Reed is smarter, he is only a scientist. Batman is a strategist. And chess is a field of battle for him. Batman takes this. "
nice post"
Very nice....I am still not sure though...Reed is a absolute mega genius in basically every discipline of science and math.....Chess can be broken down mathematically and logically
Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By Nighthunter
oldmagic said:
agreed
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By King_Saturn
oldmagic said:
Very Good... I agree Batman would win here
oldmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldmagic
Lunacyde said:
"Gambler said:
"oldmagic said:
nice post"
Very nice....I am still not sure though...Reed is a absolute mega genius in basically every discipline of science and math.....Chess can be broken down mathematically and logically"
anything can be broken down. But can he figure out batman? This is a battle between the minds of genius. Batman takes this because of his charisma and the discipline to hold his own against the greatest of minds. So he is certainly disciplined enough to hold his own against someone like Reed to not give away anything. Emotionally or Physically. Every move Reed makes, weather just tapping his finger against the board, or smiling or talking or whatever is just open enough for Wayne to read into Reed's moves. 
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

Ahh lol I guess I lose lol....everyone disagrees with me

But I'll argue anyway.....reading someone isnt the most important part of chess....supercomputers have no way of reading humans and yet they can beat them all the time.....Reed's brain is like a supercomputer except that coupled with that he also has the ability to think outside the box

Avatar image for alexander_anderson
Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It's a toss up.  Batman is tactically smarter, so he'll rule that aspect of the game, but Reed's brain can probably calculate damn near every scenario for every move, so the mathematical/logical aspect belongs to him.  Honestly, with both players at such a high level, it will probably end up a 50/50 win-loss split, or very nearly.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator
Alexander Anderson said:
"It's a toss up.  Batman is tactically smarter, so he'll rule that aspect of the game, but Reed's brain can probably calculate damn near every scenario for every move, so the mathematical/logical aspect belongs to him.  Honestly, with both players at such a high level, it will probably end up a 50/50 win-loss split, or very nearly."
I think I agree with you Alex
Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#13  Edited By Meteorite
Lunacyde said:
"Ahh lol I guess I lose lol....everyone disagrees with me
I don't. I think Reed is smarter. I mean like, could Batman beat Doctor Doom? Unlikely.
oldmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oldmagic
Meteorite said:
"Lunacyde said:
"Ahh lol I guess I lose lol....everyone disagrees with me
I don't. I think Reed is smarter. I mean like, could Batman beat Doctor Doom? Unlikely."
..........-_- are you serious?! thats your debate.
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

Haha well Meteorite you are right that Reed is smarter but like thye said earlier there are different types of smart....Batman is more of a tactician

Tevnoba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tevnoba
oldmagic said:
"Lunacyde said:
"Gambler said:
"oldmagic said:
nice post"
Very nice....I am still not sure though...Reed is a absolute mega genius in basically every discipline of science and math.....Chess can be broken down mathematically and logically"
anything can be broken down. But can he figure out batman? This is a battle between the minds of genius. Batman takes this because of his charisma and the discipline to hold his own against the greatest of minds. So he is certainly disciplined enough to hold his own against someone like Reed to not give away anything. Emotionally or Physically. Every move Reed makes, weather just tapping his finger against the board, or smiling or talking or whatever is just open enough for Wayne to read into Reed's moves. "
This is not poker!  There is very little that you can give up (and if your opponent can calculate to possibilities of the entire game then there is nothing you can give up).  Reed stomps Bats, bye bye DCU.
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

well said Tevnoba.....thats what I was basically thinking

Matches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Matches

Batman with prep time could freeze his a$$
Batman without prep time could kick his a$$

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#19  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator
Tevnoba said:

This is not poker!  There is very little that you can give up (and if your opponent can calculate to possibilities of the entire game then there is nothing you can give up).  Reed stomps Bats, bye bye DCU."
Computers can "calculate to possibilities of the entire game" and still be beaten. Stark, someone I don't think is as smart (in the sense that Reed is) as Reed recently beat him in a game of chess so he's not unbeatable and calculating all the possibilities didn't help him then. 
Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Forever
Buckshot said:
"Computers can "calculate to possibilities of the entire game" and still be beaten. Stark, someone I don't think is as smart (in the sense that Reed is) as Reed recently beat him in a game of chess so he's not unbeatable and calculating all the possibilities didn't help him then. "

I agree.  I think along with calculating every possibility on every move, one would need the ability to tie the threads together.  Each move is leading to the next move and so you would have to be able to see what path your opponent is leading you down before it is too late.  With the first move there are a huge number of roads that the person could be leading you down, however as the game progresses those roads become less and less due to the loss of pieces and the positioning of the remaining pieces.  At several points one would need to guess the intent of the other person.  I believe this is why the computers still lose.  They take educated guesses and then realize that they guessed incorrectly and were outmanuevered.  This could certainly happen to Reed.

Batman is at least as likely as Reed to give false paths for Reed to assume that Batman is leading him down.  He would probably show one strategy while behind that building in two or three more strategies that are his real attacks.  Reed may do this as well, but he isn't shown as often as Batman is to use subterfuge of this nature and certainly not at the levels that Batman does it on.  I think that it is more likely that Batman would feed Reed a believable strategy and that Reed, even though he may be smarter, would fall into Batman's trap.
Matches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Matches

Why does Batman always have to set a trap will prep time n all this junk, this is a battle forum dammit! SO LETS START BATTLING!!!!!!

Batman would be going around Gotham doing his usual errands a bit of ass kicking here and bit of woop-ass cans opening here, you know how the bat rolls. Suddenly Ricky Reed stretches his way into the picture.

"Oiy Bat, dis ma hood!" proclaims Reed
"I don't think so Mr.... FAGtastic" replies the Bat
"Oh nah! you've gone and done it now" screams Reed as he approaches Batman with his upper-body leaving his lower-body behind.
"DOWN BOY!" Batman yells as he launches a baterang straight between Reed's eyes knocking him unconscience.

Batman wins.

Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Forever
Matches said:
"Why does Batman always have to set a trap will prep time n all this junk, this is a battle forum dammit! SO LETS START BATTLING!!!!!!

Batman would be going around Gotham doing his usual errands a bit of ass kicking here and bit of woop-ass cans opening here, you know how the bat rolls. Suddenly Ricky Reed stretches his way into the picture.

"Oh nah! you've gone and done it now" screams Reed as he approaches Batman with his upper-body leaving his lower-body behind.
"DOWN BOY!" Batman yells as he launches a baterang straight between Reed's eyes knocking him unconscience.

Batman wins."
Did you not notice that this is a game of chess?  Or is this your attempt at humor?
The Batman!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The Batman!

I win....

Matches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Matches
Forever said:
"Matches said:
"Why does Batman always have to set a trap will prep time n all this junk, this is a battle forum dammit! SO LETS START BATTLING!!!!!!

Batman wins."
Did you not notice that this is a game of chess?  Or is this your attempt at humor?"
LoL! sorry mate didn't realise this was a chess game, just sort of jumped in there, got a bit excited you know!
and no it was not really an attempt at humour, i was just being funny
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#25  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Even with prep Batman loses.

Matches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Matches
Vance Astro said:
"Even with prep Batman loses."

how do you prep for a chess match?
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
Matches said:
"Vance Astro said:

how do you prep for a chess match?"
Practice moves.There are moves in chess you know?
oldmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By oldmagic

Batman wins. 

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
oldmagic said:
"Batman wins. "
No.
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator
Matches said:
no it was not really an attempt at humour, i was just being funny"
?

Vance Astro said:
And what are you talking about?
oldmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By oldmagic
Vance Astro said:
"oldmagic said:
"Batman wins. "
No."
yes
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
Buckshot said:
"Matches said:
no it was not really an attempt at humour, i was just being funny"
?

Vance Astro said:
And what are you talking about?"
I explained already.
Matches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Matches
Vance Astro said:
"Matches said:
"Vance Astro said:

Practice moves.There are moves in chess you know?"
ohh ok, i just dont think either of them would have the time to practice. but i suppose if its for the fate of their universes... who knows

i still think batman could beat reed in a game of chess, anyone can win chess... anyone
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator
Vance Astro said:
"oldmagic said:
"Batman wins. "
No."
More and more I see you just saying things as if your word is law.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
Matches said:
"Vance Astro said:
"Matches said:
"Vance Astro said:

Practice moves.There are moves in chess you know?"
ohh ok, i just dont think either of them would have the time to practice. but i suppose if its for the fate of their universes... who knows

i still think batman could beat reed in a game of chess, anyone can win chess... anyone"
I don't know if Batman or read even play chess.I'm assuming that because Reed is smarter than him he would win.Even being smarter than someone though might not give you a win in chess..one could still make a stupid move that they can't take back.Batman is more tactical but it's hard to say who would actually win.

Buckshot said:
"Vance Astro said:
"oldmagic said:
"Batman wins. "
No."
More and more I see you just saying things as if your word is law."
Nobody is forced to accept anything I say.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
oldmagic said:
"Vance Astro said:
"oldmagic said:
"Batman wins. "
No."
yes"
Why do you say that? Why do you think Batman has a better chance of winning?
oldmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By oldmagic
oldmagic said:
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
oldmagic said:
"oldmagic said:
"
Ok this is true but this isn't a fight..it's a game and in a game there are always other factors that go along or against someone's thought process.
oldmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By oldmagic
Vance Astro said:
"oldmagic said:
"oldmagic said:
"
Ok this is true but this isn't a fight..it's a game and in a game there are always other factors that go along or against someone's thought process."
Chess is based off allot of things. And yes, your right, this isn't a fight. But did you know that Chess was originally used as a way to help wars? pawns, kings, knights, they are all pawns to be used strategically to help win the game for the king. The fact of the matter is, Batman wins this solely because of his experience in dealing with this kind of situations in a regular basis. Reed on the other hand is a scientist who is overly analytical that leads to making huge mistakes on a global level. Batman is an observer who studies his opponents while Reed studies the technology and out-worldly phenomenon. 
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
oldmagic said:
"Vance Astro said:
"oldmagic said:
"oldmagic said:
"
Ok this is true but this isn't a fight..it's a game and in a game there are always other factors that go along or against someone's thought process."
Chess is based off allot of things. And yes, your right, this isn't a fight. But did you know that Chess was originally used as a way to help wars? pawns, kings, knights, they are all pawns to be used strategically to help win the game for the king. The fact of the matter is, Batman wins this solely because of his experience in dealing with this kind of situations in a regular basis. Reed on the other hand is a scientist who is overly analytical that leads to making huge mistakes on a global level. Batman is an observer who studies his opponents while Reed studies the technology and out-worldly phenomenon. "
Yea but see unlike Batman..Reed has been a leader of a team for years.Batman has led before but not as much as Reed.So wouldn't you think that as some point Reed would have become a strategist (maybe not on par with Bats),but a Strategist of high caliber by now.Reed too actually does study opponents if he needs to..I'm sure by now he is an expert on Doc Doom and his tech.I think Reed's genius is being downplayed here.
Fantasma Ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Fantasma Ghost
oldmagic said:
"oldmagic said:
"
oldmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By oldmagic
Vance Astro said:
"oldmagic said:
"Vance Astro said:
"oldmagic said:
"oldmagic said:
"
Chess is based off allot of things. And yes, your right, this isn't a fight. But did you know that Chess was originally used as a way to help wars? pawns, kings, knights, they are all pawns to be used strategically to help win the game for the king. The fact of the matter is, Batman wins this solely because of his experience in dealing with this kind of situations in a regular basis. Reed on the other hand is a scientist who is overly analytical that leads to making huge mistakes on a global level. Batman is an observer who studies his opponents while Reed studies the technology and out-worldly phenomenon. "
Yea but see unlike Batman..Reed has been a leader of a team for years.Batman has led before but not as much as Reed.So wouldn't you think that as some point Reed would have become a strategist (maybe not on par with Bats),but a Strategist of high caliber by now.Reed too actually does study opponents if he needs to..I'm sure by now he is an expert on Doc Doom and his tech.I think Reed's genius is being downplayed here."
Not at all. Reed's intelligent isn't being downplayed at all. In fact, i would have to say, he is being way over estimated. it's batman who is being downplayed here. Reeds team is great, they work well together enough that they do a good job at doing whatever it is needed to get things done at the nick of time. But they dont' work well together enough without something else distracting them while they are on a mission. 
This is a perfect example to show you scans of Batman leading a rag tag group on a mission to show you. I can't exactly remember but i'll try my best to tell you what happened. The team mostly consisted of Catwoman, Katana, Martian ManHunter and three other characters. The mission was to locate something that the company has been doing something with an alien subject. Anyway, the point is, the team doesn't work togather because of the personality difference. However, thanks to batman, he planed everything from the very beginning. From the phycological aspects to of the individuals within the team to the very planning of the entire operation. Top to bottom he planned it all, all the while he was sitting behind his computer in the Batcave with the full knowledge that what he was doing would return them alive without any casualties. This leads me to believe that he knew the team would succeed and with little to less injuries and the plan going as smoothly without him being there. 

Batman wins this. When it comes to strategic developments, Batman wins this hands down. Reed isn't even on his level when it comes to this because he things with a disciplined mind. however when it comes to technology and the sheer genius, then Reed beats Bats hands down.
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

Reed has been a leader of a team a lot more than Batman. Being a leader of a team he is constantly practicing strategy and tactical skills. I certainly give you the fact that Batman is the better tactician but remember that Reed is also a brillaint Mathematician and the most intelligent man in his universe. Everything breaks down into math. If you have ever watched the show Numbers they show time and time again how you can use math to predict the future and stuff like that.

Also I believe Reed has faced a man of intellect nearly that of his own in Doom in Chess b4. I think Reed won right? Well Doom's prep is just as impressive as Batman's if not outright better. Doom is the leader of his own freakin country he is a tactical genius. He has conquered the world twice. He was dropped naked in a strange world and took it over in no time. I think it would be a shame to assume Batman wins here.

Tevnoba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Tevnoba
oldmagic said:
"Vance Astro said:
"oldmagic said:
"Vance Astro said:
"oldmagic said:
"oldmagic said:
"
Yea but see unlike Batman..Reed has been a leader of a team for years.Batman has led before but not as much as Reed.So wouldn't you think that as some point Reed would have become a strategist (maybe not on par with Bats),but a Strategist of high caliber by now.Reed too actually does study opponents if he needs to..I'm sure by now he is an expert on Doc Doom and his tech.I think Reed's genius is being downplayed here."
Not at all. Reed's intelligent isn't being downplayed at all. In fact, i would have to say, he is being way over estimated. it's batman who is being downplayed here. Reeds team is great, they work well together enough that they do a good job at doing whatever it is needed to get things done at the nick of time. But they dont' work well together enough without something else distracting them while they are on a mission. 
This is a perfect example to show you scans of Batman leading a rag tag group on a mission to show you. I can't exactly remember but i'll try my best to tell you what happened. The team mostly consisted of Catwoman, Katana, Martian ManHunter and three other characters. The mission was to locate something that the company has been doing something with an alien subject. Anyway, the point is, the team doesn't work togather because of the personality difference. However, thanks to batman, he planed everything from the very beginning. From the phycological aspects to of the individuals within the team to the very planning of the entire operation. Top to bottom he planned it all, all the while he was sitting behind his computer in the Batcave with the full knowledge that what he was doing would return them alive without any casualties. This leads me to believe that he knew the team would succeed and with little to less injuries and the plan going as smoothly without him being there. 

Batman wins this. When it comes to strategic developments, Batman wins this hands down. Reed isn't even on his level when it comes to this because he things with a disciplined mind. however when it comes to technology and the sheer genius, then Reed beats Bats hands down.
"
The problem is your comparing Batmans Strategic Capabilities in a situation where chaos and random factors are involved and in that I agree Batman is far better.  However, there are no random factors in chess, there is no chaos in chess and psyching someone out in chess.  I've been playing chess most of my life and been a member and leader of a number of chess organizations - Chess is about the Numbers - there are a limited number of possible moves and set-up that can result from those moves and calculatable win/loss scenarios from those possiblities.  Reed is smart enough to calculate them all - every single one and mentally readjust for each new move.  Batman is outclassed in a chess match.  Combat Strategy is completly different than Chess Strategy.
oldmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By oldmagic
Tevnoba said:
"oldmagic said:
"Vance Astro said:
"oldmagic said:
"Vance Astro said:
"oldmagic said:
"oldmagic said:
"

"
The problem is your comparing Batmans Strategic Capabilities in a situation where chaos and random factors are involved and in that I agree Batman is far better.  However, there are no random factors in chess, there is no chaos in chess and psyching someone out in chess.  I've been playing chess most of my life and been a member and leader of a number of chess organizations - Chess is about the Numbers - there are a limited number of possible moves and set-up that can result from those moves and calculatable win/loss scenarios from those possiblities.  Reed is smart enough to calculate them all - every single one and mentally readjust for each new move.  Batman is outclassed in a chess match.  Combat Strategy is completly different than Chess Strategy."
yet you are making Batman out to be inferior when it comes to chess. Batman is a genius as well remember.
Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Forever
Matches said:
"LoL! sorry mate didn't realise this was a chess game, just sort of jumped in there, got a bit excited you know!
and no it was not really an attempt at humour, i was just being funny"

No worries.
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

Ahhh Tevnoba very well said....I am not as knowledgeable about chess but that is very nmuch what I have been trying to get at.

Tevnoba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Tevnoba
oldmagic said:
"Tevnoba said:
"oldmagic said:
"Vance Astro said:
"oldmagic said:
"Vance Astro said:
"oldmagic said:
"oldmagic said:
"

"
The problem is your comparing Batmans Strategic Capabilities in a situation where chaos and random factors are involved and in that I agree Batman is far better.  However, there are no random factors in chess, there is no chaos in chess and psyching someone out in chess.  I've been playing chess most of my life and been a member and leader of a number of chess organizations - Chess is about the Numbers - there are a limited number of possible moves and set-up that can result from those moves and calculatable win/loss scenarios from those possiblities.  Reed is smart enough to calculate them all - every single one and mentally readjust for each new move.  Batman is outclassed in a chess match.  Combat Strategy is completly different than Chess Strategy."
yet you are making Batman out to be inferior when it comes to chess. Batman is a genius as well remember."
Yes, Batman is a genius, but to the level of Reed - be reasonable here.
oldmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By oldmagic

Again, i never said batman was at a level comparable to Reed. I agreed with this wholeheartedly in the first post i made on this thread. BUT, you should also be reasonable because Batman is also a genius, not to a level of Reed but Genius nonetheless. Either way, it could go anywhere when they play the game of chess. I see a stalemate on this as well because you forced me to think a little on this one....

Matches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Matches

Statistically Speaking....

Reed is smarter than Batman on all fronts
Smarter have a higher percentage of winning a chess game
Reed's strategy is based off team-work
Batman has been a 1-man-show for most of his "career" therefore would find it easier to work alone
Batman is much more intimidating than Reed
Reed has a much hotter gf than Batman

From all these statistics I estimate a 100 percent chance of them both being left with their kings