This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) 10 months, 18 days ago

Poll: Batman Battle of the Month VOTING: Batman vs. X-23 (400 votes)

Batman 41%
X-23 53%
Too close to call 7%

Does Bruce Wayne have what it takes to best Laura Kinney? Will his skill, gadgets and tactical mind be enough to compensate for her lethal mindset, healing factor and adamantium claws? Well, that's for you to decide. Yes, you. As these two duke it out, you'll have until Friday morning to think about how it would all go down. Can Batman earn a majority of wins or will X-23 outlast him in combat? Before voting, please be sure to read all of the following rules.

Match Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter.
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. Assume they start roughly 30 feet apart and visible. There's a fair amount of cover between them (parked vehicles, bus stops and such). The entire area is on limits. This means alleys, rooftops, building interiors, etc.
  • Standard gear.
  • Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination.
  • Hey, you know what would be really cool? Treating everyone else in the debate with respect. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. Seriously, this is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging.

Viners, you have the week to research, debate and vote! This means there's no reason to vote right away if you don't have all of the info you need to make an educated decision. Check the homepage Friday for an updated article with the following:

• Thoughts from the staff.
  • A Viner Argument for both characters (can't include scans and must be in the poll thread).
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Feel free to make future "Batman: Battle of the Month" suggestions in the comments below or via Gregg's Twitter page.

#1 Posted by reaverlation (17115 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman's back?!Let the Games begin!

#2 Posted by Erik (33327 posts) - - Show Bio

X-23 solos.

#3 Edited by Strider92 (16838 posts) - - Show Bio

@erik: hey you're back! Long time no see

#4 Edited by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio

@erik said:

X-23 solos.

Solo solos X-23.

#5 Posted by Cjdavis103 (9820 posts) - - Show Bio

No dis respect to the Bat but he just dose not have the weapons or the stregth to put down someone with wolverine level regen and super bones and claws

look at how his fights with talon goes ( excluding the labrance fight) regen plays a huge factor in those fights and X-23 has a better regen and more offensive options

unless someone shows me something that can put her down from Batman she takes this

#6 Posted by Erik (33327 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@erik said:

X-23 solos.

Solo solos X-23.

Solo is incapable of soloing the supreme solo-er! SOLO!

#7 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13122 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@erik said:

X-23 solos.

Solo solos X-23.

Solo solos Solo

But in all seriousness, glad to see this is back.

#8 Posted by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio

@texasdeathmatch: Ha, thanks.

@erik said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@erik said:

X-23 solos.

Solo solos X-23.

Solo is incapable of soloing the supreme solo-er! SOLO!

Standard Solo solos Bullseye Solo.

Anyway, I'll stop being a bad person and going somewhat off-topic. LET THE DEBATE BEGIN.

#9 Posted by Wolverine08 (45714 posts) - - Show Bio

Ya girl is getting some love @lykopis.

#10 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18842 posts) - - Show Bio

In most cases I understand why someone would pick batman but here I don't see him winning due to the clear advantages posed by x-23. Let me elaborate.

X-23 is superhuman, and while normal humans differ from comic book humans, this is still an important factor to consider. For starters, batman doesn't really know Lauras limits, say he breaks her arm, he'll later obviously see that she can heal just fine, but will this encourage batman to use more lethal forces? Maybe, but it won't be enough because batman doesn't know her true limits therefore he can't use methods that in his mind could possibly kill her. This actually limits batman in a lot of ways considering lauras abilities. X-23 has resisted bombs that had peeled her skin completely off( she was still standing and didn't fall down), torture, shark bites with relative ease, hazmats blasts, and she also had her arm sawn clean off, yet she still had enough power to slaughter facility agents. The only time I've seen her KO'd was by World War Hulk, a Giant robot on Murder Island( which By the way had terrible writing and characterization), and by having her neck snapped. So again, you see that it takes a lot to stop her, and unfortunately batman can't reach such things without prep and with minimal knowledge about his opponent. Can he hurt her? yes. Can he incapacitate her? No. Laura's healing factor also gives her an edge because it gives her a lot of stamina and durability in addition to her pain tolerance. Moreover, while She is also very, VERY smart, she is by no means as clever as batman, which will complicate things a lot. She has to play her cards right in order to win, luckily she can improvise well considering that she took a very interesting approach with wolverine: She filled his wounds with dirt so they wouldn't close for a while, basically she was bleeding him out.( Wolverine was obviously holding back but it does still give us a good idea on how she operates). Speaking of which, we've seen her mention that she can come up with numerous ways to kill someone in a couple of seconds, and while obviously she can't do that with someone who is superiorly skilled, she still has a broad imagination on the subject and she can play it into motion at any second. This brings me to my next point, Laura can to go lengths batman won't, she doesn't like killing since her character has developed, but IF it's necessary, she will most likely go for it. That She shares with wolverine.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't going to be easy, but she clearly has a lot of edges over Bruce. Now if batman had prep time...that would be a short storer story.

#11 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18842 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by Dstick88 (122 posts) - - Show Bio

As a HUGE batman fan, X-23 i think takes this because of healing, but batman doesn't go down without good fight everytime

#13 Posted by Wolverine08 (45714 posts) - - Show Bio

In most cases I understand why someone would pick batman but here I don't see him winning due to the clear advantages posed by x-23. Let me elaborate.

X-23 is superhuman, and while normal humans differ from comic book humans, this is still an important factor to consider. For starters, batman doesn't really know Lauras limits, say he breaks her arm, he'll later obviously see that she can heal just fine, but will this encourage batman to use more lethal forces? Maybe, but it won't be enough because batman doesn't know her true limits therefore he can't use methods that in his mind could possibly kill her. This actually limits batman in a lot of ways considering lauras abilities. X-23 has resisted bombs that had peeled her skin completely off( she was still standing and didn't fall down), torture, shark bites with relative ease, hazmats blasts, and she also had her arm sawn clean off, yet she still had enough power to slaughter facility agents. The only time I've seen her KO'd was by World War Hulk, a Giant robot on Murder Island( which By the way had terrible writing and characterization), and by having her neck snapped. So again, you see that it takes a lot to stop her, and unfortunately batman can't reach such things without prep and with minimal knowledge about his opponent. Can he hurt her? yes. Can he incapacitate her? No. Laura's healing factor also gives her an edge because it gives her a lot of stamina and durability in addition to her pain tolerance. Moreover, while She is also very, VERY smart, she is by no means as clever as batman, which will complicate things a lot. She has to play her cards right in order to win, luckily she can improvise well considering that she took a very interesting approach with wolverine: She filled his wounds with dirt so they wouldn't close for a while, basically she was bleeding him out.( Wolverine was obviously holding back but it does still give us a good idea on how she operates). Speaking of which, we've seen her mention that she can come up with numerous ways to kill someone in a couple of seconds, and while obviously she can't do that with someone who is superiorly skilled, she still has a broad imagination on the subject and she can play it into motion at any second. This brings me to my next point, Laura can to go lengths batman won't, she doesn't like killing since her character has developed, but IF it's necessary, she will most likely go for it. That She shares with wolverine.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't going to be easy, but she clearly has a lot of edges over Bruce. Now if batman had prep time...that would be a short storer story.

Very good Skull. I was watching intently to see if I'd get any "X-23 is better than Wolverine" blurbs from you. Nice argument.

#14 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18842 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Thanks, and I don't think X-23 has many edges over wolverine, I could Think of some but there hasn't really been a proper battle between the two to judge, and if we stay with in-character stories there never should be

#15 Edited by reaverlation (17115 posts) - - Show Bio

If Batman decided not to hold back during this fight,this fight would be much more interesting

#16 Posted by laflux (17548 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Thanks, and I don't think X-23 has many edges over wolverine, I could Think of some but there hasn't really been a proper battle between the two to judge, and if we stay with in-character stories there never should be

She likely heals faster, and has claws on her hands and feet, but that's all I can think of IMO.

#17 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18842 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@theacidskull said:

She likely heals faster, and has claws on her hands and feet, but that's all I can think of IMO.

She's more agile too, considering her athletic abilities. Wolverines more of a skilled brawler.

#18 Posted by CyberWarrior (1604 posts) - - Show Bio

"Does Bruce Wayne have what it takes to best Laura Kinney?"

-Even a half of his awesomness does.

#19 Edited by reaverlation (17115 posts) - - Show Bio

X-23 as she's better than Wolverine in every way(runs away from @wolverine08)

#20 Posted by laflux (17548 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@theacidskull said:

She's more agile too, considering her athletic abilities. Wolverines more of a skilled brawler.

Yeah I was thinking of putting that in too, because she doesn't have adamantuim in her skeleton, but the thing is Wolverine has Superhuman Strength at around the 2 ton level. Having 100bls extra weight wouldn't really slow him down, and judging by feats I looked at, I've not really seen anything to say Kinney is more agile. If you could show otherwise, by no means please go ahead though......

#21 Posted by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio

"Does Bruce Wayne have what it takes to best Laura Kinney?"

-Even a half of his awesomness does.

Well, I welcome you to prove this. Elaborate posts have already been made for X-23.

#22 Posted by TommytheHitman (3487 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna have to go with X-23. She's just too fast and lethal for Bats without prep time. Even if she holds back Bats will come out of this with a ton of scratches and cuts.

#23 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@theacidskull said:

She also was able to complete tasks earlier than Wolverine through different tactics which worked in her favour due to size/agility.

Oh boy. My X-23 is in this week's battle so I am going to have to participate, although @theacidskull has already done us proud.

#24 Posted by vandinejd_1991 (347 posts) - - Show Bio

This should be obvious. If Batman lost against Wolverine back when this was "Does Batman Always Win?" then he isn't going to stand a chance against X-23 aka Wolverine 2.0.

#25 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18842 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Edited by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio

@vandinejd_1991 said:

This should be obvious. If Batman lost against Wolverine back when this was "Does Batman Always Win?" then he isn't going to stand a chance against X-23 aka Wolverine 2.0.

I don't agree with this. For one, Wolverine's more experienced and as adamantium lacing all over his body -- X-23 only has it on her claws. That's not saying she isn't durable -- God knows she has good feats in that regard -- but I hardly consider X-23 "Wolverine 2.0."

#27 Edited by Wolverine08 (45714 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking at things, I think I would have to back Laura for the majority here. Bruce does indisputably have the skill advantage in terms of raw technical skill, but I do think Laura has the means to compete. She's been able to defeat and stalemate fighters like Wolverine and Daken(Under circumstantial means no doubt, but still impressive), and is a rigorously trained combat herself. Laura even got a very decisive victory over Lady Deathstrike. She also has another edge here in terms of skill that I think will help her. In contrast to her father Wolverine whom is a more instinctual combatant, Laura is a more tactical adversary. She's taken advantage of Wolverine holding back on her to bleed his wounds out, has been noted on panel to know how to come up with a copious amount of ways to kill someone on the fly. She obviously isn't Batman's superior in this regard, but Laura using her tactical skill along with her other advantages like the healing factor and damage ouput via the claws is an advantage that shouldn't be forgotten. The healing factor is another X factor here. Granted, since Laura does not have an adamantium skeleton, she can be injured in more ways to be injured, but her feats like surviving getting napalmed, reattaching limbs, tanking shark bites, etc. do lead me to believe that she can soak the equipment Bruce usually pops out to deal with street levelers at first glance. I do think that Laura's healing factor gives Bruce the advantage that he can let loose more, but I see him using lighter gear like tasers, low grade bombs, etc. at first since X-23 looks like a young girl, and Laura can soak gadgets like that in copious amounts due to her healing factor which is vaunted as being superior to that of even Wolverine's due to the lack of adamantium poisoning at first when he doesn't know the ludicrous extent of Laura's healing factor before he jumps to the heavy stuff in that belt. I think Laura brings superior weaponry as well. The adamantium claws mean she can put more crippling damage at a higher rate on Bruce than I can see him replicating on here. She's got the speed that I would say is fairly comparable to Bruce's along with her ferocity to put damage on him in spades. Overall, this is a good matchup, but I think X-23's skill, durability/healing factor, and weaponry should net her a majority.

#28 Posted by Wolverine08 (45714 posts) - - Show Bio

X-23 as she's better than Wolverine in every way(runs away from @wolverine08)

Get lost!

#29 Posted by Juiceboks (10873 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@theacidskull said:

According to Dr. Sarah she does heal faster.

#30 Posted by Wolverine08 (45714 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@theacidskull said:

No.

#31 Edited by thehonorablerj (10 posts) - - Show Bio

You've heard the phrase, "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"? Morals on? Forget it, Laura would eviscerate him. This is a fight between a fighter and a killer. Killer . would have a tactical advantage to be sure. The only way I could see Bruce getting the victory here is if there were a time limit. She does not have super strength, so IF Bruce were able to knock her out, however briefly, and IF she were bound with strong enough cable, rope, chain, whatever Bruce has at his disposal (please, fellow Viners, rise above all the obvious pervy jokes), she would be out of commission for a while, but her tenacity would eventually allow her to get free and hunt him down, with extreme prejudice. Laura has the training of an assassin, with mastery of several forms of martial arts and the endurance to outlast Batman. There is nothing that Batman could do besides some sort of battle field removal that would stop X-23. .

#32 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18842 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

@laflux said:

@theacidskull said:

No.

No? Enlighten me :)

#34 Posted by Wolverine08 (45714 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: How is Wolverine a brawler? Brawlers don't do this to Iron Fist.

#35 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18842 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by CyberWarrior (1604 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by Wolverine08 (45714 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Yeah, it was written by Bendis(Someone disliked a good deal of comic fans), but it is consistent with Wolverine's other dozen martial feats that I can pull up. I don't see many brawlers own Captain America in one move.

Wolverine is a top tier martial artist with showings of technical skill and performances against skilled fighters to back up the hype.

#38 Posted by DigitalShooter9 (2046 posts) - - Show Bio

No dis respect to the Bat but he just dose not have the weapons or the stregth to put down someone with wolverine level regen and super bones and claws

look at how his fights with talon goes ( excluding the labrance fight) regen plays a huge factor in those fights and X-23 has a better regen and more offensive options

unless someone shows me something that can put her down from Batman she takes this

Not a game changer or anything, but batman's defeated like a dozen talons all at the same time with his standard gear in the court of the owls storyline.

#39 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18842 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: okay but considering X-23 physique, I'd say she is still more agile.

#40 Posted by Wolverine08 (45714 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: That's cool, just as long as I know you aren't going by the myth that Wolverine isn't skilled :)

#41 Posted by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by vandinejd_1991 (347 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Why not Wolverine 2.0? She was created for the specific purpose of being Wolverine's clone. The only way she differs from him is her gender, two claws, and adamantium on her claws only. Other than that she has the same healing factor, superhuman strength, reflexes, and rage mode. At the very least she's Wolverine 1.5. In fact she's even defeated Wolverine as well as taken on Lady Deathstrike and the Hulk.

#43 Posted by Cjdavis103 (9820 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by Wolverine08 (45714 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Why not Wolverine 2.0? She was created for the specific purpose of being Wolverine's clone. The only way she differs from him is her gender, two claws, and adamantium on her claws only. Other than that she has the same healing factor, superhuman strength, reflexes, and rage mode. At the very least she's Wolverine 1.5. In fact she's even defeated Wolverine as well as taken on Lady Deathstrike and the Hulk.

She isn't as martially skilled, physically potent, or durable as Wolverine.

#45 Edited by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio

@vandinejd_1991 said:

Because the title 2.0 implies a better version -- an upgrade. I don't believe X-23 is a better combatant than Wolverine. Sure, she beat his time while fighting fodder and such, but her victory over Logan is absolutely laced with critical factors. If there was now an issue where Wolverine was forced to fight her without holding back (and assuming he's not jobbing by showing zero signs of skill, that is), I would most certainly have my money on him.

#46 Posted by laflux (17548 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

@laflux said:

@theacidskull said:

No.

LOL

#47 Posted by LordoftheNorth (1365 posts) - - Show Bio

ok before every starts Wolvernine won so X-23 should win sillyness you need to remember a couple things first she is nowhere as skilled or experianced as Wolvernine as well she dosnt have a full adamantium skeleton like him only her claws are choasted in the stuff since she bamfed out before they could do the whole thing and even her healing factor can still be over tasked

as well stop with the Batman has no prep BS Batman has shown time and again that he dosnt need prep time to win a fight he just prefurs that becuase it gives him the greatest advantage and allows for the quickest course for victory with that stuff out of the way i will be back later with my reasons why Batman wins

#48 Posted by DigitalShooter9 (2046 posts) - - Show Bio

@digitalshooter9:

did any of them have X-23 level skills or adimatium claws?

Nope, but it's a matter of quantity and quality here....

Talons were in quantity and x23 is in quality....(obv.)

#49 Posted by Wolverine08 (45714 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Edited by reaverlation (17115 posts) - - Show Bio

(Inhales...Exhales)I'm gonna get attacked for this but I'll side with Batman. Why though?Because he's Batman!...But seriously though.I back Batman because X-23,physically,doesn't bring much new to what Bruce has dealt with as Bruce has taken on those above his physique like Man-Bats and Bane but Bruce brings a much better skill set,tactical mind,and his belt of plo- I mean gadgets.Bruce can use anything from Cryo pellets,Batarangs of different types (electric,explosive,etc.)to easily slow her down and if any chance that she pulls her claws out,Batman has magnets to subdue her momentarily to take a thinker as Bruce is legend in the name of stealth(which can be used to his advantage as Bruce has used stealth against others with better senses than X-23).But there's a problem that Bruce will run by that everyone will notice as well:23's healing factor.Bruce normally holds back during fights and if Bruce doesn't expose her healing factor,then if can be his downfall but Bruce will expose it throughout the fight as he will damage 23 and that'll be Batman's opportunity to forget his Morals.Bruce having dealt with people with Healing Factors(talons for example),he can use much more punishing attacks like the Leopard Blow,Vibrating Palm,etc. which can one hit KO/Kill(most likely temporarily I believe)her or use his gadgets in much more lethal ways(explosives for example).Overall I can see Bruce winning the fight but it will be a very hard match due to Bruce holding back.(Gulps and takes cover)