• 132 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by k4tzm4n (48875 posts) 1 year, 22 days ago

Poll: Batman Battle of the Month VOTING: Batman vs. Winter Soldier (422 votes)

Batman 63%
Winter Soldier 32%
Too close to call 5%

Match Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter.
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. Assume they start roughly 30 feet apart and visible. There's a fair amount of cover between them (parked vehicles, bus stops and such). The entire area is on limits. This means alleys, rooftops, building interiors, etc.
  • All characters have standard gear.
  • Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination.

Viners, you have the week to research, debate and vote! This means there's no reason to vote right away if you don't have all of the info you need to make an educated decision. Check the homepage Friday for an updated article with the following:

• My extended thoughts on the match.
  • A Viner Argument in favor of the poll's winner (can't include scans and must be in the poll thread).
  • Extra thoughts from other Comic Vine writers.
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

If you have a moment, please vote in this poll and speak your mind. I'm always looking to keep this segment fun and I have plenty of ideas rumbling around. Your input is greaaaaaaatly appreciated.

Feel free to make future match suggestions in the comments below or via Gregg's Twitter page.

#1 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman imo

#2 Posted by darkbeam (2401 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Batman smart enough to get in close.And if he gets in close I think he'll take the majority in h2h.But Bucky is a good shot so I'm not completely sure.

#3 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (2175 posts) - - Show Bio

This would be a pretty hard match since both of them are pretty even in skills, especially in stealth not to mention Bucky's Arm, usage of guns and his Assassination skills but I do believe Batman has a way to counter those

#4 Posted by CheeseSticks (2533 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman probably.

#5 Posted by i_like_swords (15774 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman doesn't have a lot of advantages in this fight. Bucky can use stealth aswell, and if he so desired he could take cover and let the bullets fly. I think this fight will boil down to who is better than the other guy, raw and simple. I'm not entirely sure yet so I'll withhold my vote, but I'm positive Bucky isn't an underdog.

#6 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22202 posts) - - Show Bio

I vote winter soldier, he's shot hawkeyes arrows out of the air. he is incredibly strong, knocked out a bear (with his normal hand IIRC), and has some great dodging feats. I saw all this in a CAV winter soldier vs Ninjak.

#7 Edited by i_like_swords (15774 posts) - - Show Bio

I vote winter soldier, he's shot hawkeyes arrows out of the air. he is incredibly strong, knocked out a bear (with his normal hand IIRC), and has some great dodging feats. I saw all this in a CAV winter soldier vs Ninjak.

My unfinished CAV, due to the fact Ninjak's classic run was cancelled and he severely lacks feats.

Also.. the knocking out the bear thing is still sketchy to me. In the same debate my opponent was showing off Bucky knocking down "50s Cap" (some stronger version of Cap), but in the same debate Bucky knocking out cold this bear that "took a beating from Hulk"

So how was he only able to knock down 50s Cap WITH his bionic arm, but was able to knock out cold a bear that "took a beating from Hulk", WITHOUT his bionic arm. It's one or the other for me.

#8 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22202 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman said:

My unfinished CAV, due to the fact Ninjak's classic run was cancelled and he severely lacks feats.

Also.. the knocking out the bear thing is still sketchy to me. In the same debate my opponent was showing off Bucky knocking down "50s Cap" (some stronger version of Cap), but in the same debate Bucky knocking out cold this bear that "took a beating from Hulk"

So how was he only able to knock down 50s Cap WITH his bionic arm, but was able to knock out cold a bear that "took a beating from Hulk", WITHOUT his bionic arm. It's one or the other for me.

comics.... that's the real answer.

#9 Posted by Chaos Prime (10857 posts) - - Show Bio

Taking nothing away from the Batman but this scenario is very well suited for WS & having the Weapons he has Batman will have to be at the top of his game to take this encounter imo.

Too close to call :)

#10 Posted by Iragexcudder (5120 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait to see the "Batman wins because he's Batman"

#11 Posted by HahahaTimes (17 posts) - - Show Bio

i would like to put 'too close to call' but i think i'll wait... will winter's emp disable most of batman's gadgets?

#12 Posted by SurelockeHomes (2195 posts) - - Show Bio

In the past, I would have placed Batman easily over Bucky, although I missed his run as Captain America. I may be missing something. That this is in place makes me wonder if I was mistaken. Let's wait and see.

#13 Posted by Saren (25899 posts) - - Show Bio

Pfft! Bucky was owned by a rocket. Batman kicks down rocket-proof doors. Do the math.

#14 Edited by worldFlash (48 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe through mapping of the city and his over preparedness Batman would tire out the winter soldier and only then engage him in a close h2h fight which even though the winter soldier would use more deadlier methods and have superior strength Batman would be the better h2h combatant and beat him.

#15 Posted by bump1010 (299 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by k4tzm4n (48875 posts) - - Show Bio

Pfft! Bucky was owned by a rocket. Batman kicks down rocket-proof doors. Do the math.

If Batman wins the poll, it will be beyond tempting to use this as the Viner Argument of the Week.

#17 Edited by cameron83 (7506 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe that this may be a little close.

I mean, I think Batman will take the majority, but ir won't be a cake walk.

But I have to wait and see....

Although cue in the people that dismiss Bucky and his skills/feats/abilities and only focus on those of Batmans.

#18 Posted by grudgekrig (2 posts) - - Show Bio

batman for the win bucky only has so many bullets and if you read any batman comics he's really good at dodging them.

#19 Edited by jashro44 (22836 posts) - - Show Bio

batman for the win bucky only has so many bullets and if you read any batman comics he's really good at dodging them.

Qaulity of marksmen makes a different.

#20 Edited by SHAZAM117 (3291 posts) - - Show Bio

If batman loses this in the votes, hell is gonna freeze over

ol'Batty ftw. I would go with too close to call, but somebody's gotta win. Can see Batman taking the majority 6/10

#21 Edited by Ancient_0f_Days (12346 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman, if at any point he decides to use one of his more complex utility belt gadgets Bucky will have no idea what to do. Sonic grenades, concussive grenades, thermals, cryo-capsules, magnetic Batarangs and such. What is Barnes gonna do after he's gotten hit with knockout gas, tear gas and then tazed without even knowing where that just came from. And what's worse is the fight takes place in a city/town like setting at the worst possible hour of the day, and that's...

Bruce can choose to just lurk in the shadows while tossing all manner of gadgets at Bucky, or Batman goes in hand to hand...it's over before Bucky even realizes it after a few pressure points and a Bat-kick. Bucky may have the physical edge especially with that arm of his, but Bruce's suit is not only bullet proof but insulated so EMPs and the electric palm are out of the question for Barnes...but not Batman who can do both himself. Honestly, Bruce has him either matched or outmatched in every area but maybe speed and strength. Bucky doesn't even have the shield anymore, I really cannot see why Bruce doesn't win at least 7/10 times.

#22 Posted by LCazT1996 (532 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait to see the "Batman wins because he's Batman"

Batman wins because he's the Goddamn Batman. xD *legitimately being a smartass*

#23 Posted by LCazT1996 (532 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@citizenbane said:

If Batman wins the poll, it will be beyond tempting to use this as the Viner Argument of the Week.

Please do. xD

#24 Posted by ravisher (694 posts) - - Show Bio

come on comicvine

not even close

#25 Posted by k4tzm4n (48875 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by Owie (3800 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems to me that in a fairly standard streetlevel H2H/traditional weapons scenario, the other guy has to have some real serious advantages in order to beat Batman. I'm not sure I see those advantages in Bucky. A cyborg arm doesn't seem like enough. I'll wait and see if anyone can offer any serious areas where Bucky has advantages.

#27 Edited by darkseid1006 (2516 posts) - - Show Bio

@hahahatimes: but then it should disable any he has if he has any im not to sure

#28 Edited by Lvenger (20721 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman has Bucky outclassed in skill, that's for certain and in variety of equipment. Smoke, flash bang, concussion grenades and batarangs and all sorts of toys give Bruce versatility. Not to mention that in terms of strategy, Batman is practically the king in this area. But Bucky has incredibly marksmanship and is excellent with the guns he has on him. Not to mention he outclasses Bruce physically with that bionic arm giving him low level superhuman stats. Still leaning towards Bruce but I'll wait for other arguments from Bucky supporters to see if they convince me that Bucky can take a majority.

#29 Posted by Saren (25899 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: So it's true, what they say.

Gregg Katzman is bias.

#30 Edited by Wolverine08 (43644 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm right now leaning towards Batman due to him holding advantages in fighting skill, equipment, strategy, and overall versatility.

#31 Posted by dondave (38488 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

Batman has Bucky outclassed in skill, that's for certain and in variety of equipment. Smoke, flash bang, concussion grenades and batarangs and all sorts of toys give Bruce versatility. But Bucky has incredibly marksmanship and is excellent with the guns he has on him. Not to mention he outclasses Bruce physically with that bionic arm giving him low level superhuman stats. Still leaning towards Bruce but I'll wait for other arguments from Bucky supporters to see if they convince me that Bucky can take a majority.

#32 Posted by k4tzm4n (48875 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by funckygarcon (266 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not gonna try to explain anything, enough said that If Steve Rogers (Captain America) the mentor of Winter Soldier were to fight Batman in a real fight based on feats and attributes, they'd both get tired of fighting each others and would shake hands in respect, maybe after 4 hours of continuous fighting. Winter Soldier is younger and very skilled, but honestly, this fight is unfair to him. Batman wins, hands down !!

#34 Posted by Omnicrono (1906 posts) - - Show Bio

i would like to put 'too close to call' but i think i'll wait... will winter's emp disable most of batman's gadgets?

Most of them? Probably not. Many of them? Probably.

#35 Edited by nigravirum1 (146 posts) - - Show Bio

How is this a fight? Winter Soldier is the equivalent of David Cain. And Batman has beaten Dave many times.

#36 Posted by Ancient_0f_Days (12346 posts) - - Show Bio

How is this a fight? Winter Soldier is the equivalent of David Cain. And Batman has beaten Dave many times.

Not only is that some kind of twisted form of ABC logic, but that is straight up wrong.....David was a drunk, out of shape shadow of his former self who still had just enough in him to put up a fight. Bucky is a young man with superhuman strength and reaction speed, a mechanical arm that discharges electric currents and EMPs and is a better marksman than David Cain. If Dave was in his prime Bruce would have left each fight looking like he fought Deathstroke, Bronze Tiger or Lady Shiva.

#37 Edited by Iragexcudder (5120 posts) - - Show Bio

@lcazt1996: lol good troll tho :D haha

But in honesty, they both have their attributes, strengths and weaknesses. Batman has experience and fighting whereas Bucky has more of a tactile edge and a higher possible strength output from his arm. (I dont know his press strength) but his combat strength from his arm alone packs a hell of a punch..

But all in all, Batman should come up on top. He knows too much IMHO.

#38 Edited by SlimJ87D (10308 posts) - - Show Bio

This battle makes me sad... I was waiting for Bucky to go up against a good opponent, but sadly Batman is just more skilled than Bucky is. Although Bucky has the metal arm and matches Batman in tech, Batman overwhelms him in feats.

Even though Bucky outclasses all of the Robins, he's not better than Batman mostly due to Bucky being younger than Batman and not having as many years of experience as him. I would say just because of Bucky's gear, he can hang with Batman for quite awhile but will lose it, 6/10 to Batman.

Equipment that Bucky you might not know about:

1. Metal Arm

-Strong enough to tear a car in half if Bucky really wanted to.

-Capable of being remotely controlled

-Electrical Shocks

-EMPs

2. Winter Soldier Suit

-Bullet proof

-Impact resistant, dulling physical forces and impacts.

-Built in jammers and extra stealth abilities allowing him to sneak through Doctor Doom's Castle with ease.

3. Domino Mask

-Allows 3D mapping of area so people can't sneak up on him.

4. SHIELD Pistol

-Capable of winding Ares

-Can load explosive rounds and blow things up

5. Utility belt

-Grenades, Sleeping Gas and other explosives.

So I think Bucky's equipment matches Bruces pretty evenly. It's only Bruce's slightly superior H2H abilities that give him the win IMO.

#39 Posted by kaiklown (65 posts) - - Show Bio

Whats with all these Batman battles? There needs to be more variety these are boring and Batman will win give some other people a chance Batman has battled like 3 times in the past few months.

#40 Posted by OreoAssassin (5493 posts) - - Show Bio

We need a savior for Winter Soldier! Someone step in and slap batman away! Lol

#41 Posted by k4tzm4n (48875 posts) - - Show Bio

@kaiklown said:

Whats with all these Batman battles? There needs to be more variety these are boring and Batman will win give some other people a chance Batman has battled like 3 times in the past few months.

Uh... it's once a month and I'd recommend checking out the signature in the article.

#42 Posted by funckygarcon (266 posts) - - Show Bio

@kaiklown said:

If he was alive, Batman himself would face palm at the amount of fictional fights he has to go through, he'd be like:" you either give me an excellent opponent to deal with or you don't mention my name ever again, should I ever see this, you'll be crippled for life, your choice!!"

#43 Posted by Crazy_Wilhelm (64 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman usually beats opponents that don't have either superspeed chops, super durability or resistance chops, or some other means of negating attacks, correct? Pitting a character designed to win 95+% of fights at the human pace of operations against other characters with similar, human limitations kinda yields foregone batconclusions, doesn't it?

#44 Posted by Chaos Burn (1787 posts) - - Show Bio

@kaiklown said:

once a month Batman battles someone, usually from Marvel... it used to be the "Does Batman always win?" segment. Otherwise the battle contest is between other people....

#45 Posted by funckygarcon (266 posts) - - Show Bio

We need a savior for Winter Soldier! Someone step in and slap batman away! Lol

HULK!! SLAP!!

#46 Posted by i_like_swords (15774 posts) - - Show Bio

@slimj87d said:

This battle makes me sad... I was waiting for Bucky to go up against a good opponent, but sadly Batman is just more skilled than Bucky is. Although Bucky has the metal arm and matches Batman in tech, Batman overwhelms him in feats.

Even though Bucky outclasses all of the Robins, he's not better than Batman mostly due to Bucky being younger than Batman and not having as many years of experience as him. I would say just because of Bucky's gear, he can hang with Batman for quite awhile but will lose it, 6/10 to Batman.

That sounds like a pretty reasonable sum up of the fight

#47 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman for sure in the end.

#48 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (883 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmmm, I'm going to have to think about this for a couple days. I honestly am not sure. They're pretty closely matched, in my opinion.

#49 Edited by Doomnaut (1993 posts) - - Show Bio

Winter Soldier, because I don't like Batman.

#50 Posted by krspaceT (1493 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's see....

Batman. The fact is he's had to deal with more people like Winter Soldier (Deathstroke, Two Face, ect), than Winter Soldier has had to deal with people like Batman (Has he ever met Moon Knight?)