Batman Battle of the Month VOTING: Batman vs. Snake Eyes

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Batman Battle of the Month VOTING: Batman vs. Snake Eyes (333 votes)

Batman 58%
Snake Eyes 33%
Too close to call 8%

A new month has begun and that can only mean one thing: it's time to put Batman's skills to the test. We usually come up with Bruce Wayne's next battle on our own, but this month's match has been determined by the community. Snake-Eyes took a huge lead over quite a few other characters in the poll, so why not simply give the people what they want, right?

Does DC's legendary hero have what it takes to earn a majority of victories over the deadly dude from G.I. Joe? Well, that'll be determined by you. Yes, you. Voting and debate for this fight will remain open until Friday morning (ET), so that gives you roughly four full days to think about how this fight would go down. And, if you don't have all the facts about one (or both) of these combatants, then that gives you more than enough time to research them or at least read the ongoing debate. When you're ready, go ahead and give the Comic Vine crowd a good dose of your mind.

Match Rules

• Combatants are in character (aka morals apply for both).
  • This is a random encounter (aka no prep/prior knowledge for either).
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. Assume they start roughly 40 feet apart and visible. There's a fair amount of cover between them (parked vehicles, bus stops and such). The entire area is on limits. This means alleys, rooftops, building interiors, etc.
  • Both characters have their standard gear.
  • Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too.
  • Just to clarify: Batman has his New 52 gear, however, his skill feats from the pre-52 era can be taken into account since he's supposed to be as skilled as he once was. Plus, that just makes things more fun to speculate, right?
  • Hey, you know what would be really cool? Treating everyone else in the debate with respect. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. Seriously, this is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging.
  • If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining and name calling. Just saying.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to be selected as the Viner Argument of the Week. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs.

Viners, you have the week to research, debate and vote! This means there's no reason to vote right away if you don't have all of the info you need to make an educated decision. Check the homepage Friday for an updated article with the following:

• Thoughts from the staff.
  • A Viner Argument for both characters (can't include scans and must be in this thread).
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Feel free to make future "Batman: Battle of the Month" suggestions in the comments below or via Twitter!

• 
Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@saren said:

If anyone actually provided a comprehensive argument beyond "Snake-Eyes is more skilled. No, really!", I might be able to do something with that. Does anyone actually feel like doing that here? Spelling out Snake-Eyes' position, illustrating why his advantages are actually advantages and providing substantiation?

Yo, @laflux. Saren's issuing a challenge to the puny debaters here. You want to go a few rounds? :D

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@saren said:

If anyone actually provided a comprehensive argument beyond "Snake-Eyes is more skilled. No, really!", I might be able to do something with that. Does anyone actually feel like doing that here? Spelling out Snake-Eyes' position, illustrating why his advantages are actually advantages and providing substantiation?

Both @granitesoldier and @lunacyde have said they'll jump into the debate later today or tomorrow.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@wolverine08: I know nothing of Snake Eyes, and I know Saren is Batman's favorite character. So No. TBH I just came here to learn stuff :P

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Wolverine008
laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By laflux
Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#107 owie  Moderator

This is one of those fights I keep changing my mind on. It's very hard to "prove" one is more skilled than the other.

Batman is stronger and smarter. He has a much wider range of non-lethal weapons. His basic armor is better.

Snake Eyes is possibly faster, more agile, and stealthier. He has a wider range of lethal weapons.

But who is more skilled? Hard to say. I would argue Snake Eyes, but not by a lot. I don't have anything that shows him being better in any concrete way, it's just my take on who he is. But I would also argue that there is little that proves Batman is definitely more skilled either. In other words, I don't think there are any scans of either of them dong anything in terms of skill that the other wouldn't be able to match.

How does this all go down? Assuming they see each other as real enemies, Snakes will probably start shooting. Batman will dodge. Batman will probably throw some batarangs, and Snake Eyes will throw throwing stars, and they'll both dodge. Snake Eyes does have some advantage from a distance, having automatic weapons, but probably not enough to win. They both have grenades of some sort and would toss them around. Having taken each other's measure, they would either go into the shadows and try to attack by stealth, or just go in and fight. Snake Eyes is probably stealthier, as I said, but I am guessing Batman has enough tech to find him. I'm going to say that kind of evens out and they end up just fighting head to head anyway. Close up, Snake Eyes does have a sword, and Batman doesn't, so again Snake Eyes has at least a basic weapons advantage. Is it enough? I dunno. Possibly. But Batman has his armor, can use his cape defensively, etc. I feel like this is essentially too close to call.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#108  Edited By GraniteSoldier

@lvenger: I understand your point and even agree to an extent but to make a statement saying "I haven't seen X yet" when comics and feats are largely subject to interpretation sets a tone of Snake Eyes being the weaker of the two without even having to make a knowledgeable debate. It isnt a bad debating strategy but I was pointing it out for what it was. It spurs statements like "Snake is a ninja and Batman faced ninjas before" which are completely inadequate here. I see them plenty. Basically the statement is unneeded except as a subtle undermining of any future debate as those who will read it and unfamiliar with Snake are likely to agree with it out of ignorance. Hope this is readable my phone isn't being cooperative.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By micah007123

@saren: Lunacyde listed this: I particularly enjoy it when people say Snake-Eyes hasn't faced any legitimate threats. His main opponent (Storm Shadow) is comparable to most high end street levellers (bullet timer, moves faster than the eye can follow, 8th degree black belt in five martial arts, can fight blindfolded, disappear in plain sight, scale sheer walls bare handed, so on and so forth.) he's beaten androids with superhuman physicals, master ninja with arcane abilities, T-800 esque cyborgs, Soldiers with enhanced speed and strength, two master ninja who are telepathically linked to work as one, a ninja master who has mastered even more forms than Batman, a chick who has a nerfed version of Midnighter's battle computer that allows her to see all of her opponents possible moves before they make them, he even momentarily took down Starscream (the Decepticon).

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By YoungJustice

@youngjustice said:

I have been waiting for this matchup since the start of this segment, I voted Snake Eyes because I personally think that he is more toned in his art. Like how Batman does have much more versatility in his knowledge, but Snake Eyes sticks to a few types of combat and perfected them.

What makes you say that Batman hasn't extensively honed what he knows?

Sorry, didn't see this post earlier.

I just feel that Batman's skill is more "I know a lot" more than "I have perfected each art".

Snake Eyes and Batman are likely around the same age and both started training around the same age, but the time was spent differently. Bruce studied a lot of different types of combat (among other things) and learned them well, but Snake however used his time working on one or two basic types of combat and became the master of them. Although I should say that I think this match is 50/50 with the conditions set, since Batman could use the dark to his advantage and take Snake Eyes down without moderate difficulty, but I feel that Snake Eyes is a little too good to actually fall for it, but it is very possible.

In the end, I think it really just depends on how exactly Batman starts the fight, if a stealthy scenario, Batman 100% imo, but in a straight up fight, Snake Eyes 75%.

Wardemon32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Wardemon32

Next time everyone should just say the name of the character that wins instead of an actual debate and see who wins the best arguement for both sides hahah

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@granitesoldier: The main problem I have with your post is that no one's made any cases for Snake Eye's victory yet. There haven't been feats cited or respect threads referenced. So it's hard not to see why Snake Eyes isn't anything Batman can't handle.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youngjustice:

I just feel that Batman's skill is more "I know a lot" more than "I have perfected each art".

"I've been trained to perfection in every violent art there is."

No Caption Provided

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Are you reading all the post their were arguments showing his feats on page 2 from other people. I posted the following list before and posted a scan of him fighting a Decepticon?!?

Snake Eyes is a Ninja of the Arashikage clan and is the most effective warrior they have ever produced aside from possibly Storm Shadow. Snake Eyes is a master martial artist, elite assassin and an expert Commando warrior. He is known for conducting raids all his own against Cobra, single handedly taking down their strongholds.

He is capable of flawlessly fighting blind, superb Close Quarters Combat (CQC), Lock Picking, unbelievable athletics, and possesses an uncanny awareness, and remarkable balance. He tirelessly accepts mission after mission, Snake Eyes is a warrior in every sense of the word. Fellow G.I. Joe, Scarlett has referred to Snake Eyes as a 3-Bravo-0, Baddest Butt-Kicker Bar None.

Strength

Snake Eyes has been known to shatter rock with his bare hands, and head-butt a Cobra soldier with enough force to shatter his fully reinforced helmet, and lunging long distances with no artificial aid.

Speed

Snake Eyes consistently speed blitz's his oppositions (striking just before they can pull the trigger, even with leg injuries sustained), dodge bullet fire (even from aircrafts), and has been seen running faster than a motorcycle to catch the driver. He has disappeared in plain sight.

Qi/Ki Sense

Snake Eyes is capable of sensing any individuals Qi/Ki energy and see if they are hostile.

Blood Control

He can control his own blood flow, and has been known to use this technique to fake his own death.

Psychological Control

Snake Eyes is impervious to mind control. The Arashikage has trained Snake Eyes to control his mind as well as his body. Taught mental combat and the ability to recognize those forces that, for good or ill, must be stopped at all costs.

Precision

Possesses the ability to throw any object with deadly surgical accuracy. He is known to throw knives, swords, and Shuriken, but has been know to improvise, even using his own firearms once they have run out of bullets. His marksmanship is remarkable, as he rarely misses gunfire.

Indomitable Will

Snake Eyes is known for accomplishing tasks regardless of his physical condition. Even finishing a mission with evidence broken bones, contusions, burns, fractures, bullet wounds, blood loss, exhaustion, and being ill all at once. He has resisted torture and has proven to be impervious to mind control. Snake Eyes simply never gives up and never gives in.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Wolverine008

@micah said:

@lvenger: Are you reading all the post their were arguments showing his feats on page 2 from other people. I posted the following list before and posted a scan of him fighting a Decepticon?!?

Snake Eyes is a Ninja of the Arashikage clan and is the most effective warrior they have ever produced aside from possibly Storm Shadow. Snake Eyes is a master martial artist, elite assassin and an expert Commando warrior. He is known for conducting raids all his own against Cobra, single handedly taking down their strongholds.

He is capable of flawlessly fighting blind, superb Close Quarters Combat (CQC), Lock Picking, unbelievable athletics, and possesses an uncanny awareness, and remarkable balance. He tirelessly accepts mission after mission, Snake Eyes is a warrior in every sense of the word. Fellow G.I. Joe, Scarlett has referred to Snake Eyes as a 3-Bravo-0, Baddest Butt-Kicker Bar None.

Strength

Snake Eyes has been known to shatter rock with his bare hands, and head-butt a Cobra soldier with enough force to shatter his fully reinforced helmet, and lunging long distances with no artificial aid.

Speed

Snake Eyes consistently speed blitz's his oppositions (striking just before they can pull the trigger, even with leg injuries sustained), dodge bullet fire (even from aircrafts), and has been seen running faster than a motorcycle to catch the driver. He has disappeared in plain sight.

Qi/Ki Sense

Snake Eyes is capable of sensing any individuals Qi/Ki energy and see if they are hostile.

Blood Control

He can control his own blood flow, and has been known to use this technique to fake his own death.

Psychological Control

Snake Eyes is impervious to mind control. The Arashikage has trained Snake Eyes to control his mind as well as his body. Taught mental combat and the ability to recognize those forces that, for good or ill, must be stopped at all costs.

Precision

Possesses the ability to throw any object with deadly surgical accuracy. He is known to throw knives, swords, and Shuriken, but has been know to improvise, even using his own firearms once they have run out of bullets. His marksmanship is remarkable, as he rarely misses gunfire.

Indomitable Will

Snake Eyes is known for accomplishing tasks regardless of his physical condition. Even finishing a mission with evidence broken bones, contusions, burns, fractures, bullet wounds, blood loss, exhaustion, and being ill all at once. He has resisted torture and has proven to be impervious to mind control. Snake Eyes simply never gives up and never gives in.

Posting wiki's isn't the most convincing debate style.

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: To me, things like that are purely for intimidation purposes. Although the word perfect can change in everyone eyes, some might define perfect as being okay, while some might say that it is complete mastery.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree with the notion that Snake Eyes is better than Bruce at Stealth. I mean the guy has been able to remain undetectable to people with enhanced vision like Martian Manhunter and Superman

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: Why not, its actual information that happened in the comics. aka feats. Did you want someone to give a long drawn out college essay, when you could just simply state the reasons?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youngjustice: Batman wasn't even talking to the man he had up against a wall. The speech bubble was directed towards his own thoughts and the readers. Even then, your argument kind of doesn't work as I could apply the same line of logic to Snake Eyes. What was defined as his "mastery" could just be a highly advanced expertise, not absolute, undeniable crack jack mastery to the point where he cannot improve. Take statements as they are unless there isn't anything to support them. There are numerous other statements noting that Batman has mastered or perfected every martial art that exists.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@micah said:

Strength

Speed

Qi/Ki Sense

Blood Control

Psychological Control

Precision

Indomitable Will

Posting wiki's isn't the most convincing debate style.

Seconded. Wikis aren't the most reliable sources of evidence at all. Batman's wiki would be more credible than Snake Eyes' anyway.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: All of the things i listed have been suggested or seen in the comics on several occasions. And how would Batmans wiki be more credible than Snake Eyes? do you think its full of lies and false information?

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#122  Edited By johnny_blaze

I say that this is a tie. That bat wanking on this thread is unbelievable.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#123 frozen  Moderator

Bruce has on many occasions been able to sneak up on Superman and disappear, whether anyone tries to make excuses, that is legitimate:

Action Comics Volume 2 #12:

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

Bruce has on many occasions been able to sneak up on Superman and disappear, whether anyone tries to make excuses, that is legitimate:

Action Comics Volume 2 #12:

Batgod brah!

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: Okay. I respect your reasoning and I still stand by mine, I honestly wasn't trying to spark up a debate, because I am going to be truthful and admit that I don't have extraordinary knowledge on either Snake or Batman, I have read a hefty amount of each of them and from what I have seen Snake will likely win in the scenario, but I think that this debate is best given to someone else due to my lack of complete knowledge of either of them.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For what it's worth Chuck Dixon has stated in the past that he views them as equals. He did write both of these characters so it would seem he knows them better than most. With that said I still can't decide who would win. People are selling SE short by a lot.

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: (Spongebob's Voice):Patrol.I'm on patrol.I'm on patrol!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@lvenger: Which weakens Snakes side when people make simple statements like Snake wins without supporting it. I agree with you. I'm just looking to minimize damage until I can get something up later today or tomorrow. I think baseless statements hurt any side in a debate unless you support it.

Patera_All

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: and you posted the same stuff in every other SE thread. Explain how half of that is relevent, or how any of that outclasses Bruce. And please stop citing crossovers for feats. If we all did "what-ifs" we'd be talking Ali vs Darkseid since he beat up Superman that one time.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By micah007123

@patera_all: I've stated how half of his "feats"/gear are relevant, but obviously SE is being underplayed and no ones listening. And their is a line between citing crossover feats, if its believable and not crazy like Ali vs Darkseid, then i see no reason why it can't be used

Avatar image for the_average_bear
The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: Copying and pasting Snake Eyes page isn't an argument.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_average_bear: An "argument" is information you present to the opposite side in order to get them to see your point. I"ve taken information from the Snake Eyes page and I am presenting that info. That's all i'm doing, i'm not trying to start a back and forth war with anyone

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 frozen  Moderator

@micah: That's information, not an argument.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 frozen  Moderator

@wolverine08: LOL, Batman always pulls a BatGod on powerhouses.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 k4tzm4n  Moderator

I say that this is a tie. That bat wanking on this thread is unbelievable.

• If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining and name calling. Just saying.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Which i presented in the form of an argument, by listing SE feats and his abilities

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: No its just information its not an argument until you compare it to something else like snake eyes is faster than batman becuase blah blah blah becuase the way your prosenting it your making everyone else make an argument rather than making on yourself

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman wins. He's physically superior, he's faster, he's more skilled and has a higher pain tolerance.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Wolverine008

Batman wins. He's physically superior, he's faster, he's more skilled and has a higher pain tolerance.

Where's that Snake Eyes love though?

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By MonsterStomp

@wolverine08: There comes a point in your life where you just have to accept it. Snake Eyes is a beast, but he is literally inferior to Batman in every way.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bad_People

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to say this, Batman is a driven, talented guy. However he has time-restraints in his training and combat experience. he has a day job, that's gonna cut down on his training and will leave him more fatigued in normal circumstances. This kind of thing is Snake-eyes' day job, he has nothing else to think about.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to say this, Batman is a driven, talented guy. However he has time-restraints in his training and combat experience. he has a day job, that's gonna cut down on his training and will leave him more fatigued in normal circumstances. This kind of thing is Snake-eyes' day job, he has nothing else to think about.

Didn't stop him from fighting for 28 hours straight while not killing any of the combatants that he was facing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@bad_people said:

Didn't stop him from fighting for 28 hours straight while not killing any of the combatants that he was facing.

Lol, Batmans day job doesn't stop him from doing a lot of things. Didn't stop him from kicking Spectre in the face.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bad_people: thats just silly while he might have a day job he dosnt work 9-5 or anything like that he is a genius that is able to run his company and make it profitable with smallest effort becuase remember he has the prosona of a lazy playboy so he shows up late and leaves early plus he dosnt sleep regular hours through medation and drugs he only has to rest for a couple hours each day

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By MonsterStomp

@i_like_swords said:

@wolverine08 said:
@bad_people said:

Lol, Batmans day job doesn't stop him from doing a lot of things. Didn't stop him from kicking Spectre in the face.

Heck, Batman's day job makes him better!

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Wolverine008

@i_like_swords said:

@wolverine08 said:
@bad_people said:

Heck, Batman's day job makes him better!

Only the weak can't handle day to day duties!