• 116 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

First and foremost, you did a fantastic job with this one, Comic Viners. Over 700 votes and 11 pages of very detailed debate. Sure, it got a little heated at times, but it was great to see everyone was able to tone it down and keep it focused on the facts instead of derailing it into something personal. So, if you took part in this -- be it voting, engaging in the debate, or even reading the debate -- give yourself a pat on the back.

Now that all of the batarangs have been thrown and optic blasts have been fired, who's left standing? According to the CV community, Batman is the one walking away from this fight. Calm down, team Cyclops! DC's hero by no means won in a landslide. Wayne took 50% of the votes and Scott Summers earned a respectable 44%. Meanwhile, 6% thought it was too close to call.

ONE PUNCH! ONE PUNCH!
ONE PUNCH! ONE PUNCH!

"Too close to call" sounds about right. There's simply no denying Scott would take this in an open environment and there's absolutely no disputing Batman would take this in a stealth heavy location where they don't begin visible. This scenario, however, is our attempt at a happy medium and that's exactly why it's always used (city at night, lights on, fair starting distance with some cover).

Moves like Mick Summers.
Moves like Mick Summers.

We all know Scott has the potential to turn this match heavily in his favor with just one optic blast to his opponent's chest. His concussive blasts -- even when toned down against humans -- are quite powerful. He's knocked out humans with ease, KO'd Wolverine with a hit to the back of his adamantium head, and has unleashed absurd amounts of power. While he has zero motivation here to remove his visor, there's no reason to believe he may not eventually fire a wider blast, either (kind of like he did against Bishop in Messiah CompleX, for example).

Furthermore, he's very, very accurate. Yes, there have been examples of him missing characters like Bullseye and Wolverine has indeed dodged him, but he's also shot Storm right out of the sky and, thanks to his brilliant tactical mind, has unleashed jaw-droppingly effective ricochet blasts on numerous occasions. He's also a very talented hand-to-hand combatant (most notably in Aikido and Judo), but let's be honest, he's no Batman in that element. However, his ability to use his power in close combat is a wildcard that cannot be overlooked. A well place (be it via ricochet or even lucky) blast in close proximity could once again put the odds in his favor.

Cyclops' combination of raw power, accuracy and tactics won't be easy to overcome -- not by a long shot. But, given his history, it's fair to assume that Batman does indeed have the physicals, intellect, resources and skill to potentially come out on top. It won't be easy by any measure and one small slip-up could end it, but taking everything into account, it's doable.

DO A BATMAN ROLL!
DO A BATMAN ROLL!

This is without question an uphill struggle for Batman, but given all we've seen over the years, I fail to see why it's impossible. Upon dodging the first blast (at a fair distance, mind you), he'll immediately know he's dealing with a foe who can unleash a volley of powerful and rather accurate blasts. Given the Dark Knight's more than capable mind, focus on stealth and variety of equipment, it's probable he could take a stealth approach at this point. A smoke pellet, perhaps, and a grappling line to a rooftop or alleyway wouldn't be far fetched. Now, Scott isn't a man who will just stand out in the open, shooting wildly and screaming. He's also a tactical character, so if Batman attacks to soon or if his rush doesn't go exactly as planned, there's a good chance he could get tagged. But, if it utilizes his resources properly and is able to get close to Scott, it's entirely reasonable to assume he could take the victory with his large edge in skill. The fact he can vanish right in front of talented oppo Again, a ricochet or lucky shot from his opponent could bring the fight to a close, but upon seeing Scott's power, I sincerely doubt he'd take his chances and would aim for a swift takedown.

Flip a coin because this truly has the potential to go either way. Scott's mutant power, formidable accuracy and tactics have the potential to shut this down with just one solid hit, but Batman has the means required to potentially get close in due time and seize the victory. Honestly, a totally rational argument can be made for either combatant.

Both are awesome characters. Their posture? Not so much.
Both are awesome characters. Their posture? Not so much.

Viner Argument for Batman is by Super_SoldierXII

"Can't help but feel Scott loses this one. Batman, being all "clever" and all, will see the big red ruby quartz visor strapped to Scott's eyes (I mean, c'mon), and figure right away that looks, in this particular battle, could very well kill. He'll hit a smoke pellet, go all stealth, take Cyclops out. End of story IMHO.

But, but, but, Cyclops has clobbered Wolverine, so Batman should be easy peasy in a random. Wrong. While both are undoubtedly top tier martial artists, their respective styles couldn't be more different. Wolverine relies on his durability in a fight more so than avoidance, it's part and parcel to his fighting style. Not so with Bruce. Cyclops knows he can unleash on Logan without killing him right off the,um, bat (couldn't help it). Again, not so with Bruce. And let's face it, Logan isn't nearly as clever as Bruce in his approach to a fight; all too often opting to go all "raar", "roar" and "snikt" on his antagonists. Not thinking things through is not Batman's M.O. Nor is Logan as geared or 'ninja-like' as Batman. Which is to say Logan doesn't have anywhere near the amount of tools to take Scott out as Bruce does, and has no choice but to close the distance and get in Scott's face.

Bruce will fall back on said gear and far superior hand to hand skill to avoid Scott's, admittedly, far superior offensive abilities.

Despite Cyclops' increasingly more questionable morals, he won't unleash with area of effect blasts. Not before knowing what he's up against, and by then it'll be too late IMHO. He'll try to tag Bruce with enough concussive force to put down a normal man first. So even if he does tag Bruce before Batman can evade, I'm not sure the one blast will be enough as a result.

Again, and to conclude, Batman sees the obvious weapon strapped to Scott's face, goes stealth to avoid, gets close, takes Scott out. The end."

Don't be sad, Cyclops fans. If you want to, you can tell yourself this was the outcome.

Does anyone else really miss that '90s costume?
Does anyone else really miss that '90s costume?

Or, perhaps you can tell yourself this is how it went down.

This masterpiece was created by the Comic Vine mod, god_spawn.
This masterpiece was created by the Comic Vine mod, god_spawn.

Want more Batman battles?

Next week will be a usual and Batman-free "Comic Vine Battle of the Week." Batman battles will only take place during the first week of each month. Check the homepage Monday to see who's brawling next, mon ami. Oh, and do try to have a good weekend!

Feel free to suggest characters in the Official Discussion thread or via Twitter.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

No Caption Provided

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 2

Alright sweet debate overall and nice run down. This was a great battle hope we get more close ones like this.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By TDK_1997

A great battle idea and there was a good debate between some users and I can say that that is the right outcome from this battle.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yes, I agree this was a great battle and a great debate. Awesome points made for both characters from Viners. I don't think a flame war even fired up throughtout it, if I'm not mistaken. While I disagree with the outcome, this was an awesome debate none the less!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

KCHEWW!

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

A great battle idea and there was a good debate between some users and I can say that that is the right outcome from this battle.

mcbean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ravisher

Too close to call for me

CaptainCyke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clearly Batman would have a Ruby Quartz suit if he knew this fight was coming.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

_Cerberus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't agree with Batman winning, it was inevitable though. Either way can't wait to see more.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: is that real?

Yes, Dern won a contest and now he'll be the main villain of the Forever Evil event.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

"JEAN!"

Lost it. Haha. Kinda disappointed Scott didn't win.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lifeofvibe said:

Yes, Dern won a contest and now he'll be the main villain of the Forever Evil event.

Spoiler!!!!

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clearly Batman would have a Ruby Quartz suit if he knew this fight was coming.

Seriously why hasn't anyone tried that against Cyclops yet? Is Ruby Quartz rarer than Adamantium?

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

@decoyelite said:

@lifeofvibe said:

Spoiler!!!!

Nah, they killed her off, remember?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

@decoyelite said:

@lifeofvibe said:

Spoiler!!!!

Nah, they killed her off, remember?

Only so she could be the Earth 2 Batman.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Of course, but now who's spoiling things. :P

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lior947

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what about the bext battle spoiler?

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Thought so :) Good one Katz!

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

god_spawn's masterpiece is brilliant. that just made my day!

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nerf BatGod.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

This was definitely one of the best debated battle of the week articles to date. Fans of both characters debated properly with reasonable arguments and relevant feats to back up their cases. That's the best thing about this week's battle, that it was conducted well between opponents on different sides of the debate.

SummersBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SummersBlood

Question: How can a character simultaneously be considered "the most realistic" alongside mastering every martial art in a couple of years? It's ridiculous: either Bats is only really good at one or two styles, or he's mastered every single one and is just as wacky and crazy as the rest of comics...it can't be both.

_Cerberus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By _Cerberus_

Question: How can a character simultaneously be considered "the most realistic" alongside mastering every martial art in a couple of years? It's ridiculous: either Bats is only really good at one or two styles, or he's mastered every single one and is just as wacky and crazy as the rest of comics...it can't be both.

Comic Book Logic

.Spider-man.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a good debate. We need more of these.

SummersBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_cerberus_:

Yeah, I realize that Comic Book Logic requires a hefty suspension of disbelief, but I just wish Bat-nerds would stop saying he's the most realistic because you could be Batman with enough practice....no, you could not. He's actually more unrealistic than most other characters, precisely because there's no 'fantastic' conceit. Superman is a space-alien, so he can fly and all the rest....whether or not there's any actual logic to back it up, you've got your basic space alien conceit that allows for the wackiness. Same with Cap's supersoldier serum, the X-gene, and countless other examples...there's a narrative device to justify the wackiness, no matter how absurd. With Batman, we're just supposed to accept that he's a really smart guy who has in the span of just a couple of years: mastered every form of martial art, studied criminal investigation to become the world's greatest detective, mastered battlefield tactics and strategy (despite, ya know, having never actually been in the military or anywhere he could reasonably have learned any of that) and on and on and on. This is why the Taskmaster fight stuck in my craw a bit; there you've got a character who actually could know every martial art on the planet, but so does Batman, just because....it's lazy and inconsistent. You want him to be BatGod? Fine....but stop telling me he's the most realistic. Mr. Mxyzptlk is more realistic than Mr. Wayne.

_Cerberus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@summersblood: well there was a feat where he got stuck in a universe and fought for a thousand years case time was frozen.

I guess that can make up for his experience :P

tchalla3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A debate against two closely matched characters was well done. Close match indeed, but nah, I still say Cyclops. Good job either way.

SummersBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_cerberus_:

Ah, so he's Bill Murray in Groundhog Day!?! That's actually kind of awesome!

BatGod justified!

_Cerberus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I'm glad I'm not the only one who said too close to call. Like I said in my argument there are just way too many variables and potentials that could swing the fight for either warrior.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

@cdw101: Foul language is not permitted on the forums. Please censor your posts in the future.

opticblast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By opticblast

This was a great debate with a fair result, i still go with Cyclops and it's a shame that people don't give him much credit, but yeah whatever its ok because these are actually my 2 favorite top characters from each company (Marvel and DC) and it was great to follow the opinions from everyone about this match!

No Caption Provided

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By evilvegeta74

Smh!

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It feels like the better fighter won on this fight though it felt sort of close for a while. In an alternate reality of this website I'd like to see Year One Batman vs Joseph Joestar. Lol like that would ever happen. There's still the ever looming Moon Knight battle that will surely be a blood bath. Other than that Batman fighting a formidable lady could be a fun change of pace.

progenitorigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn "kchew"? "KCHEW"? What happened to "Zark"?!

No Caption Provided

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for brightestday107
BrightestDay107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

suggestion for next battle deathstroke vs. deadpool

Mr. Messy Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way I see it is this. Cyclops has only one basic attack. Batman's cape and/or armor can withstand 1, maybe 2, blasts from Cyclops' beams. Then Batman figures out what he is able to do and does all he can to dodge every other attack from there until he is able to do something that prevents him from blasting or just takes him out in general. It wouldn't be hard for Batman to defeat Cyclops. Cyclops would have to have really good luck to beat him even though his beams are really powerful.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@summersblood said:

Comic Book Logic

Who ever said he was realistic?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#49 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@lior947 said:

what about the bext battle spoiler?

Who says there isn't one?

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By patrat18

Great battle, great counter arguments all around, fair ending.