This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by k4tzm4n (36379 posts) 10 months, 19 days ago

Poll: Batman Battle of the Month: Batman vs. Cyclops (720 votes)

Cyclops 44%
Batman 51%
Too close to call 6%

Match Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter.
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. Assume they start roughly 30 feet apart and visible. There's a fair amount of cover between them (parked vehicles, bus stops and such). The entire area is on limits. This means alleys, rooftops, building interiors, etc..
  • All characters have standard gear.
  • This is PRE-PHOENIX FORCE Cyclops. This way he actually has control of his power.
  • Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination.

Viners, you have the week to research, debate and vote! This means there's no reason to vote right away if you don't have all of the info you need to make an educated decision. Check the homepage Friday for an updated article with the following:

• My extended thoughts on the match.
  • A Viner Argument in favor of the poll's winner (can't include scans and must be in this poll thread).
  • Extra thoughts from other Comic Vine staffers.
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Feel free to make future match suggestions in the comments below or via Gregg's Twitter page.

#151 Edited by jashro44 (19499 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@jashro44: I was using it as an example of Cyclops being taken down by someone who's not as skilled as Batman. There's a case of Deadpool being a member of the X-Men or trying to join the X-Men and Cyclops got a tad pi$$ed with Deadpool but was taken down by another martial artist who was with Deadpool. Can someone confirm this because I can't find the scan of Cyclops getting taken out with a pressure point attack for the life of me.

Oh and Batman has dodged light projection attacks before. See earlier pages for the proof of that. They're New 52 feats btw.

Well yes but I could bring up that deadshot who is uses slower and less versatile projectiles has been able to shoot batman. Both of these guys have showings that are good and showings which are not so good.

As for the deadpool moment you are talking about cable and deadpool where deadpool and the cat took out cyclops? They did began really close and cyclops had to deal with 2 opponents at once.

And all though yes he has dodged light speed attacks before has he done it from a marksmen like cyclops? And one with his area of effect (in terms of both ricochet shots and radius).

Also thank you for telling me the score.

#152 Posted by jashro44 (19499 posts) - - Show Bio

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek: Sure its possible Deadshot is aiming for non lethal spots but thing is that does limit the areas where he can hit. Cyclops isn't going to have that problem. Not to mention cyclops can make his blasts a lot wider and therefore harder for batman to dodge.

I don't see him using a blast this wide in every scenario but I can see him using one to take a few wins.

#153 Edited by AllStarSuperman (19854 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing can take Cyclops. Batman can take Nightwing.

#154 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

This is crazy, Cyclops should take this. He only has to take out his visor and blow everything away. He has done it with morals on. Like @squalleon said, this is an unpopulated city, so Cyke has no restriction.

I'm also a Batman fanboy, but common, Cyclops take this.

He's done that against normal human opponents he's never fought before?

#155 Posted by jashro44 (19499 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing can take Cyclops. Batman can take Nightwing.

ABC logic doesn't really work....Nightwing has been stated to be faster and more agile then Bruce. Yes Bruce will beat nightwing without much trouble, but Nightwing is arguabley better at dodging range attacks because of his speed and agility.

#156 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1297 posts) - - Show Bio

If and it is a big if scott see,s the bat he wins if not the batman wins this one.

#157 Posted by Squalleon (4143 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Look Batman is better at hand to hand and his stealth is top notch.
The moment Cyclops understands that he is at a disadvantage he can throw a wide beam(not necessarily lethal) and end this. Even inside a building Cyclops can get hit batman with wide but less stronger beams just to incapasitate him. Cyclops for years couldn't open his eyes he has shown to have extremely good hearing so sneaking up on him isn't a piece of cake.
And last this is a battle where the two opponents have to beat each other, why would he waste time, he isn't a show off, he is a soldier, he wants to defeat the enemy fast and efficiently.

#158 Posted by The_Absolute (892 posts) - - Show Bio

@cheesesticks: This isn't a power-vs-power battle, which of course Batman would lose. They are in character, thus giving the character's history and psychology would Scott just do that?

#159 Posted by MisterWhisper (1809 posts) - - Show Bio

Something that people need to realize...

Cyclops does not have to put enough force into a blast to kill, he can still easily use a wide spread beam that is easily strong enough to take out a brick wall or an armored human without making it a kill shot.

#160 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1158 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkbeam said:

@theocitylegend: yeah because Bat fans always do that fanboying mess

What a terrifically ignorant and stupid post.

#161 Posted by Lvenger (18196 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: Batman's dodged marksmen and energy projectors before, both Pre and Post New 52. I see no reason why dodging Cyclops' optic blasts along with there being plenty of cover won't allow Bruce to take more of an edge. For Scott to win, he needs to nail Bruce fast and hard straight away and Scott doesn't do that in character. And no problem.

#162 Posted by Squalleon (4143 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoyelite: He killed more than once.
Some times for pity like Ugly John or sometimes because he wanted to like Donald Pierce.

#163 Edited by Shawnbaby (10403 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44 said:

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek: I think what you need to take into account is cyclops is actually a decent marksmen. Dodging his shots won't be that easy.

That is true, but Batman has dodged Deadshot's bullets before. Granted in the past Deadshot has curved his shots, he is still probably more accurate than Cyclops and still should have hit Bruce, just non-fatally.

Dodging the shots of someone that isn't actually trying to shoot you is not that impressive at all. Batman has admitted that Deadshot could have, and should have, killed him if he wanted to

Cyclops won't be pulling his shots the way Deadshot does.

#164 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19908 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44 said:

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek: Sure its possible Deadshot is aiming for non lethal spots but thing is that does limit the areas where he can hit. Cyclops isn't going to have that problem. Not to mention cyclops can make his blasts a lot wider and therefore harder for batman to dodge.

I don't see him using a blast this wide in every scenario but I can see him using one to take a few wins.

Interesting, but I still firmly believe Batman can dodge energy blasts of the sorts.

#165 Posted by CheeseSticks (2375 posts) - - Show Bio

@cheesesticks said:

This is crazy, Cyclops should take this. He only has to take out his visor and blow everything away. He has done it with morals on. Like @squalleon said, this is an unpopulated city, so Cyke has no restriction.

He's defending himself. He's willing to kill with his blast, so why couldn't he do it?

#166 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoyelite:

He killed more than once.

Some times for pity like Ugly John or sometimes because he wanted to like Donald Pierce.

And never because "hey this city is empty and this dude he is dressed like a bat"

#167 Edited by Lvenger (18196 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger:

Look Batman is better at hand to hand and his stealth is top notch.

The moment Cyclops understands that he is at a disadvantage he can throw a wide beam(not necessarily lethal) and end this. Even inside a building Cyclops can get hit batman with wide but less stronger beams just to incapasitate him. Cyclops for years couldn't open his eyes he has shown to have extremely good hearing so sneaking up on him isn't a piece of cake.

And last this is a battle where the two opponents have to beat each other, why would he waste time, he isn't a show off, he is a soldier, he wants to defeat the enemy fast and efficiently.

He's not going to use wide beams straight away is he? Your logic is incredibly faulty here that you think Cyclops is going to use wide beams straight away. And without taking out Batman straight away, this gives the edge to Batman straight away. From there, Batman can stealthily take out Cyclops soon enough. He may want to fight fast and efficiently but it won't be fast and efficiently enough to take out Batman.

#168 Edited by Super_Phil (117 posts) - - Show Bio

This is one of the better battles in my opinion. Although it may be close batman wins. Don't forget it is set at night which means batman can disappear and Scott can't shoot him. Seeing as batman is a master strategist with genius level intellect he could then sneak up behind him and take him down.

#169 Edited by CheeseSticks (2375 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack_vii said:

@cheesesticks: This isn't a power-vs-power battle, which of course Batman would lose. They are in character, thus giving the character's history and psychology would Scott just do that?

Cyclops already killed with his blast, so yeah he would be willing if his life was in danger.

#170 Posted by TheDarkPacman (14 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a random encounter, right? Assume Bats thinks Cyclops' visor is a weapon and aims for that once optic blasts are revealed. It's over if the visor comes off. I'm only saying Batman could overthink this and make the mistake of unleashing Cyclops' full gaze. In contrast, though, once Batman (in the case of another encounter or survival of the first round) realizes that all Cyclops can really do to hurt him is to shoot him with lasers...well, that's too easy to beat. If Bats isn't obliterated immediately, the odds are more in his favor.

#171 Edited by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoyelite said:

@cheesesticks said:

He's defending himself. He's willing to kill with his blast, so why couldn't he do it?

Because it's not in character for him to murder random people he's never met.

#172 Posted by Squalleon (4143 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@squalleon said:

@lvenger:

Look Batman is better at hand to hand and his stealth is top notch.

He's not going to use wide beams straight away is he? Your logic is incredibly faulty here that you think Cyclops is going to use wide beams straight away. And without taking out Batman straight away, this gives the edge to Batman straight away. From there, Batman can stealthily take out Cyclops soon enough. He may want to fight fast and efficiently but it won't be fast and efficiently enough to take out Batman.

But where will batman sneak up on him.
Won't a tactical mind like Cyclops try to find a place that doesn't have many opportunities for Batman to sneak up on him.

#173 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19908 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack_vii said:

Cyclops already killed with his blast, so yeah he would be willing if his life was in danger.

That's the problem. Because of Batman's stealth, gadgets, and the city's darkness, Batman would take out Scott before he even knows what is happening, or if he is in danger. That is what stealth is!

#174 Posted by CheeseSticks (2375 posts) - - Show Bio

@cheesesticks said:

@jack_vii said:

That's the problem. Because of Batman's stealth, gadgets, and the city's darkness, Batman would take out Scott before he even knows what is happening, or if he is in danger. That is what stealth is!

Yeah, because Cyclops will stand there waiting for Bruce to beat him. Lmao

#175 Posted by jashro44 (19499 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@jashro44: Batman's dodged marksmen and energy projectors before, both Pre and Post New 52. I see no reason why dodging Cyclops' optic blasts along with there being plenty of cover won't allow Bruce to take more of an edge. For Scott to win, he needs to nail Bruce fast and hard straight away and Scott doesn't do that in character. And no problem.

Well which marksmen has he evaded that are on par with cyclops? The only one that comes to mind is Deathstroke but Cyclops optic blast can have a wider radius then Slades blast staff. The cover does help however it can also be destroyed by cyclops. He can also can use the cover for ricochet shots so the cars and such work both ways.

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek A few things about that showing to point out:

1. The character that is shooting at batman doesn't have the same accuracy feats as cyclops. Cyclops has tagged sabretooth, wolverine, nightcrawler, and beast off the top of my head. So he could be more competent then the guy shooting at batman
  2. All though batman is evading this guys light beams at the same time base don what is shown it seems thats all batman can really do. Batman doesn't really close the gap or take him down (unless there is more to the showing).
  3. Cyclops can make his beams a lot wider then the ones batman is dodging.
#176 Edited by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19908 posts) - - Show Bio

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek said:

@cheesesticks said:

@jack_vii said:

Yeah, because Cyclops will stand there waiting for Bruce to beat him. Lmao

Are you just ignoring my previous posts? Cyclops doesn't have to be standing still for stealth to work. Have you seen movies or video games revolving around stealth? Cyclops will not know the location of Batman because of the darkness, Batman's master stealth skills, stealth-based gadgets (gas pellets, smoke grenades, etc.), and more. THAT is stealth. Cyclops could be moving as much as he wants to, but at the end of the day Scott will be firing his optic blasts and that would enable Bruce to know his exact location.

#177 Posted by X_SOLDIER (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Since Batman has no prior knowledge, I can see him targeting Cyclops' visor in an attempt to disable it, since the way he uses it, it just looks like the device creates the beam and doesn't just focus his power. Tactically, it's the most logical move to disable his opponent's advantage. That would be a moment that even for a second, when he thinks Cyclops is disabled that Scott might retaliate with a larger-scale attack in an attempt to end it quickly, since he's fighting blind/at fully uncontrollable power after that.

#178 Posted by Lvenger (18196 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon: Batman's a master of stealth and an accomplished tactician. Scott is only an accomplished tactician. He wouldn't know Batman has smoke grenades, concussion grenades and who knows how many batarangs in his belt. Cyclops has laser vision, not x-ray vision so he's not going to know if Batman is still in cover or has darted to gain a tactical advantage to strike.

#179 Posted by CheeseSticks (2375 posts) - - Show Bio

Are you just ignoring my previous posts? Cyclops doesn't have to be standing still for stealth to work. Have you seen movies or video games revolving around stealth? Cyclops will not know the location of Batman because of the darkness, Batman's master stealth skills, stealth-based gadgets (gas pellets, smoke grenades, etc.), and more. THAT is stealth. Cyclops could be moving as much as he wants to, but at the end of the day Scott will be firing his optic blasts and that would enable Bruce to know his exact location.

Read the OP, light are all on in the city, so there's not a lot of darkness. What if Cyclops just blast everything that can make a cover 20 meters around him? Batman will hide in the grass? Lmao

#180 Edited by AllStarSuperman (19854 posts) - - Show Bio
#181 Edited by The_Absolute (892 posts) - - Show Bio

@cheesesticks said:

@decoyelite said:

@cheesesticks said:

Because it's not in character for him to murder random people he's never met.

I agree. Cyclops' power is impressive, but his character is greatly flawed against the likes of Batman.

Secondly, if Scott's as good a tactician as has been said, he'd let out a feeler shot to gauge what he's up against. He doesn't know if leveling the area will be what gives Batman the advantage. He doesn't know how effective his optic blasts are against Batman. And it's like I said earlier, by the time he realizes who Batman is and what he can do, it'll be too late.

#182 Posted by Lvenger (18196 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: I've already said that Batman can dodge energy blasts as well as he dodges bullets. The attacking from cover shot can work both ways too as Batman can do the same to Cyclops. And if Batman stealthes out, all of Cyclops' precision won't save him from a sneak attack.

#183 Edited by Squalleon (4143 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@squalleon: Batman's a master of stealth and an accomplished tactician. Scott is only an accomplished tactician. He wouldn't know Batman has smoke grenades, concussion grenades and who knows how many batarangs in his belt. Cyclops has laser vision, not x-ray vision so he's not going to know if Batman is still in cover or has darted to gain a tactical advantage to strike.

And when you can't see you shot blind in the whole area. Cyclops doesn't know if Batman intents to kill him so he will have to survive.
Think about it my friend, you have an opponent that you don't know his reasons but he attacks you, you have the mind of a soldier, you have killed before, you can't see anything because of the smoke, do you really wait and shoot for precision or you survive (which is the motto of Cyclops since Utopia).

#184 Edited by KINGSLEYinc (9 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm going cyclops. those optic blasts are more than enough to take out batman and he has lots of experience being the leader of two x-men teams and dealt some pretty lethal blows when fighting the avengers. i'm not saying batman doesn't have experience cause he probably has more but really his only freind is the shadows and his wide array of gadgets will probably make him surive for some time but if he gets hit by a massive blast from cyclops he's out of the game. i say...

vote cyclops

#185 Posted by jashro44 (19499 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger:

I've already said that Batman can dodge energy blasts as well as he dodges bullets.

Yes however there is the quality of marksmen that makes a difference. Not saying batman is completely incapable of dodging blasts but cyclops is more competent then most marksmen batman has faced (aside from deathstroke or deadshot off the top of my head [all though deadshot is iffy due to pulling his shots])

Not to mention the radius of his blasts. Look at the scan I posted above. Has batman dodged a projectile that big? Sure cyclops wont fire a shot that wide in every scenario but he can do it in a few/couple.

The attacking from cover shot can work both ways too as Batman can do the same to Cyclops.

I agree. That is what I said.

And if Batman stealthes out, all of Cyclops' precision won't save him from a sneak attack.

This is true. All though they do begin visible.

#186 Posted by Lvenger (18196 posts) - - Show Bio

And when you can't see you shot blind in the whole area. Cyclops doesn't know if Batman intents to kill him so he will have to survive.

Think about it my friend, you have an opponent that you don't know his reasons but he attacks you, you have the mind of a soldier, you have killed before, you can't see anything because of the smoke, do you really wait and shoot for precision or you survive (which is the motto of Cyclops since Utopia).

So Cyclops is going to nuke the area before Batman surprises him with a smoke grenade which will blind Cyclops to where Batman is and then attack him without warning to KO him? I sincerely doubt it. Faulty logic again to assume that Cyclops will nuke the city to kill someone he's just met and has no knowledge of.

#187 Edited by MisterWhisper (1809 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@jashro44: I've already said that Batman can dodge energy blasts as well as he dodges bullets. The attacking from cover shot can work both ways too as Batman can do the same to Cyclops. And if Batman stealthes out, all of Cyclops' precision won't save him from a sneak attack.

Ummm no, attacking from cover does not work the same way, Scott can just blast a hole though any cover Batman tries to hide behind, Bruce can't.

If they start in the middle of the street, IN SIGHT of each other, Batman will be lucky if he makes it to cove. There is nothing stopping him from destroying whatever it is Bruce is bolting for.

#188 Edited by The_Absolute (892 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

And what if by that time, Batman's already behind him. Scott can't ricochet a wide beam, and his wide beams can only be as wide as 180°.

#189 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19908 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44 said:

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek A few things about that showing to point out:

1. The character that is shooting at batman doesn't have the same accuracy feats as cyclops. Cyclops has tagged sabretooth, wolverine, nightcrawler, and beast off the top of my head. So he could be more competent then the guy shooting at batman
  2. All though batman is evading this guys light beams at the same time base don what is shown it seems thats all batman can really do. Batman doesn't really close the gap or take him down (unless there is more to the showing).
  3. Cyclops can make his beams a lot wider then the ones batman is dodging.

That is true, but he IS firing them at a much faster rate, so that should be taken into account.

Sorry about not showing the entire set of scans. Batman does manage to close in on his opponent, using the psychological factor, as well as utilizing his gadgets.

More feats to back up Batman can dodge energy blasts similar to the likes of Scott's optic blasts.

Given that Cyclop's blasts are a bid wider and more accurate, I'd say Batman is familiar enough with these kind of attacks to make it home safely.

#190 Posted by RageEx2 (86 posts) - - Show Bio

When it says Cyclops has control over his powers, does it mean he doesn't need his visor?

#191 Posted by patrickborkland (218 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman has the reflects and agility to dodge cyclops until he can land one hit on him. Thats all he needs. He needs to knock him out quick an easy which he will figure out as soon as he realizes what cyclops is made of. Cyclops on the other hand will not go to extremes if this is a random encounter because he does not know how skilled Batman truly is

#192 Posted by CheeseSticks (2375 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack_vii: If Cyclops can't see Batman, he will know somethings wrong since he's in a battle. He could just blow everything away(20 meters around him). Then he could it Batman easily since he can hit Wolverine.

#193 Edited by Lvenger (18196 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: I seem to be battling from all sides here so I'll only deal with the last point. Unless Cyclops nails Batman straight away, which he can do but doesn't in character, this gives Batman a chance to get into cover, launch some distractions on Cyclops from there and go stealthily to strike Cyclops from surprise. Scott won't fire a wide beam straight away and therein lies his downfall for me.

#194 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19908 posts) - - Show Bio

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek said:

Read the OP, light are all on in the city, so there's not a lot of darkness. What if Cyclops just blast everything that can make a cover 20 meters around him? Batman will hide in the grass? Lmao

You're clearly being very ignorant. Has lights stopped Batman from being stealthy before? No. That is absolutely absurd. Heck, Batman is agile and stealthy IN DAYLIGHT. Plus I have stated in page 2 or 3 that Batman would eliminate light sources against an enemy like this, so he can more easily close the gap between him and his foe.

#195 Posted by Shawnbaby (10403 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@shawnbaby said:

A shopped-up scan proves nothing but how desperate you are to "prove" Batman wins. I could do the same thing with a Scan of Batman getting nailed by someone else.

I said it's a different guy. I was using it as an example of how Batman could get ahead of Cyclops. Do stop embarrassing yourself, it doesn't become you very well and shows you up.

You use a photoshopped scan of Batman taking the place of "a different guy" and you think I'm the one embarrassing myself?

1) That "different guy" is actually Storm...so you just yanked an image off of google without knowing the significance of it all. That makes you look like a real Pro.

2) Storm knows Cyclops...Batman doesn't. Batman won't know that cyclops can't control his blasts without the visor and he won't know that Cyclops won't blast away blindly.

3) During that fight Cyclops is distracted. Battle Forum rules state that the Characters are fighting "at their best but within the limits of their personality"...he won't be distracted here

4) One Low Showing for Cyclops doesn't cancel out years of consistently better performances. Also, that scan was from over 25 years ago....he's gotten better since then.

#196 Edited by Squalleon (4143 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@squalleon said:

So Cyclops is going to nuke the area before Batman surprises him with a smoke grenade which will blind Cyclops to where Batman is and then attack him without warning to KO him? I sincerely doubt it. Faulty logic again to assume that Cyclops will nuke the city to kill someone he's just met and has no knowledge of.

And by your logic he will always have to wait for Batman to attack him first. Your logic actually applies to Batman too! Maybe your logic is as faulty as mine. His Wide beams aren't always lethal, why would you warn someone who attacked you that you will throw him unconcious?

#197 Posted by Lvenger (18196 posts) - - Show Bio

@misterwhisper: For the umpteenth time, Cyclops is not going to straight up vaporise Batman nor is he going to use a wide blast from the onset of the fight.

#198 Edited by Bogey (934 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman easily wins by decapitation by planting sticky semtex on cyclops eye wear.

#199 Posted by laflux (14080 posts) - - Show Bio
#200 Edited by CheeseSticks (2375 posts) - - Show Bio

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek: Dude are you taking Cyclops for the dumbest character in comics? Cyke see a light going off he would just blow everything in this direction. Like i already said, what's stopping Cyclops from blasting everything away around him? If he can't see Batman, he will know something's wrong.