Avatar image for czarny_samael666
czarny_samael666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By czarny_samael666

Based on their movie-feats - I am going with Smaug.

N0tS0An0nym0us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By N0tS0An0nym0us

@Alyssabird said:

!!! :) who wins!

This has been done. .....

Smaug the dragon vs Balrog - Comic Vine

No Repeat Battles/Use the Search Function

We have a search function now which can be used to search for past battles, for more information on this please see the battle forum FAQ . If you want to see who would win a fight, check if we’ve already discussed it. If we have and you have something to say about the outcome that’s been reached, don’t be afraid to bump the thread, but don’t make a new one when one already exists. Our search tool should give you everything you need, but if for some reason it doesn’t, the recap thread is another place you can look for old fights and Google can be used to search CV. Dupe threads will be locked.

Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Alyssabird

There are different balrogs in the Lotr Universe, i'm referring to precisely one individual, not a generalized statement.

N0tS0An0nym0us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By N0tS0An0nym0us

@Alyssabird said:

There are different balrogs in the Lotr Universe, i'm referring to precisely one individual, not a generalized statement.

Ok....which of them actually have feats in battle.......

Militaris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Militaris

Feats are fairly similar.

The Balrog of Moria

Probably whipped Ungoliant (alongside other Balrogs), preventing her from consuming Morgoth

Probably fought Feanor (alongside other Balrogs) during the Battle under the Stars

Survived the War of Wrath.

Over the time frame of about a year single handily destroyed from within the most powerful Dwarven Kingdom, in the process killing both King Durin VI and his successor King Náin I, along with many other dwarves. His mere presence caused many Silvan Elves of Lórien to flee in terror.

His presence terrified Dáin Ironfoot, convincing him not to enter Moria after killing Azog and winning the Battle of Azanuibizar. (Although later Barlin and a party tried to recolonize Moria).

Broke Gandalfs word of command, severely weakening him for a while.

Caused Legolas to freeze in terror and drop his arrow.

Dragged Gandalf off the bridge of bridge of Khazad-dûm, then fled Gandalf for a while, before the two climbed a mountain peak and they fought for two days before was defeated and cast down breaking the mountain where he fall. Gandalf himself also died.

Smaug the Golden

When young and tender in a single day Smaug ruined the city of Dale (Killing Grion, Lord of Dale) and broke the door and wall of the Lonely Mountain which he took for his own. At this time the Kingdom of Erebor was extremely prosperous and the dwarves were numerous. Many Dwarves and men were slain, although the royal line escaped, Thorin was out hunting, Thrór and Thrain escaped by a hidden passage (all dwarves remaining in the mountain or tried to escape via the front gate died). After this Smaug rested, only occasionally leaving to continue the destruction of Dale and carrying away people for food.

He later caught and ate I think six ponies in a single flight, then proceeded to smash the mountainside with his tail trying to trap Thorin and Company.

He then flew off to Lake Town, and was enjoying himself burning the town. Believing his scales were impervious to the defenders arrows. Bard the Bowman after learning about a weak spot was able to shot a enchanted black arrow into Smaug heart killing him.

Obtrusive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Obtrusive

I would assume the dragon, because of its durability, however I don't know how a dragon would kill the balrog. If the thing is made up of fire and has a fire whip would a dragons fire hurt it? If not the claws should be able to make short work of it I would imagine.

instantkarma1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By instantkarma1

Going strictly by feats, I'm not sure there is enough to determine a clear-cut winner.

As alluded above, I'm not sure if either can hurt the other with fire. If not, it becomes a melee contest. Smaug's size, tail & teeth would give him a definite edge in combat.

Also, I believe Smaug would be mostly impervious to the Balrog's physical attacks, assuming he doesn't notice the small, vulnerable exposed patch on Smaug's belly not covered with jewels (the patch Bard from Dale noticed and capitalized on, killing Smaug with his arrow).

Without a lot of feats to go on, and not knowing if fiery ranged attacks would have any impact, we have to refer to the historical feats and impact in Tolkien's Arda by other Balrogs and Dragons.

Dragons

• Glaurang was the first dragon. While not able to fly, he did decimate the elven armies (after he reach maturity), and displayed a great tactical mind. He was ultimately killed by the 2nd greatest human warrior known to Middle-Earth, Túrin, with a stab to the exposed belly.
  • Ancalagon the Black, greatest of all dragons, almost single-handedly won the War of Wrath for Melkor. He forced all of the Valar to retreat after all of the Balrogs had been destroyed (well, minus the one who fled to Moria). He was ultimately killed by Eärendil, who possessed one of the 3 Silmarils.

Balrogs

• Gothmog, arguably, was the greatest of all Balrogs and Melkor's top lieutenant (along with Sauron). He, along with several other Balrogs, mortally wounded Feanor (greatest of all Elves). Gothmog killed two of the Noldor kings. He was ultimately slain by Ecthelion.
  • Several Balrogs defeated Ungoliant when responding to Melkor's plea for help in his fight (or should I say flight) with/from her. While Melkor was at one point the most powerful being in existence in all of Arda (more powerful initially than all of the Valar put together, at least until Tulkas came into Arda), he was already greatly diminished by this point.

With this bit of context, I believe Ancalagon's feat of driving back all of the Valar in the War of Wrath exceeds all other feats by any Balrog.

Smaug was the greatest dragon of the Third Age, and the closest thing to Ancalagon Middle-Earth would ever see again. And he would be fighting against a Balrog who most likely fled the War of the Wrath.

Based on historical feats of dragons versus balrogs, assuming neither could hurt the other with ranged fire attacks, I give a very significant edge of Smaug over the Balrog in Moria, Durin's Bane.

SSJLozza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SSJLozza

Gotta be Smaug. Balrogs are specifically stated to be the strongest creatures created in Utumno apart from dragons, therefore dragons> balrogs and Smaug was pretty strong even for a dragon.

Avatar image for azathoth_the_dread_sleeper
Azathoth_The_Dread_Sleeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smaug wins in a near-stomp.

zill0678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Flame of Uldun wins. post above mention that the balrog couldn't win in physical combat but i disagree as its shown that is sword at the very least has magical property's that even overwhelm Gandalf magic. smaugs skin will invulnerable to mortal weapons has shown no such resistance to magical weapons. also despite the balrogs loss to gandalf the gray it survived an immense struggle with him for quite a long time dispite being at a disadvantage due to lack of magical versatility. smaugs flames as mentioned above are useless and since it has to land to fight the balrog is at a disadvantage despite being larger. Gandalf proved that in the case where power and strength are similar the smaller, versatile, and maneuverable opponent has an advantage.