Kingjohnrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Kingjohnrocks

@PrinceAragorn1 said:

@Kingjohnrocks: And if backed up by someone who has more raw power he has, wouldn't it change to victory?

If Zhao lasts for 5 minutes, then yes.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@Kingjohnrocks: Well, even sokka survived with zuko on the front. I'd give zhao more credit than him..

steelhound56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By steelhound56

Zhao having more raw power than Zuko is highly debatable.....

Zhao is mentioned as having no control. Is he a powerful firebender? Sure. I doubt you get to Admiral in the Fire Nation Navy without possessing some power as a bender. I wouldn't put him on a level with top tier firebenders like Iroh, Ozai, and Jeong Jeong. I wouldnt even put at mid high tier with EoS Zuko, Azula etc...

He's a decent mid tier firebender whose power is overestimated due to his lack of fine control over his bending...

People seem to forget Zuko was kicking him all over the North Pole at the end of Season 1....

What was likely the case in their Agni Kai, was that Zhao was the more experienced bender, and controlled the terms of the confrontation. Zuko was still mastering the basics of firebending at the start of the series when he dueled Zhao.

You must remember Zuko progressed greatly in his own firebending prowess from that episode up until his final confrontation with Azula.....

I still give this to Zuko after a tough, long fight.

Avatar image for vercingetorixthegreat
VercingetorixTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say Zuko wins and Zhao is a non factor.

Zuko has the drive needed in fire bending to beat Azula.

Katara was a non factor in that final battle until she got in Zuko's way, and Zuko was handling Azula (crazy)

I think it would be an even match between a sane Azula and Zuko but again Zuko wins because he discovered what fire bending is all about

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@steelhound56 said:

People seem to forget Zuko was kicking him all over the North Pole at the end of Season 1....

I saw the fight again.. He still shrugs zuko's attacks off when they're fighting ranged.. But zuko trumps him in H2h/close range again. He's perfectly fine as long as he doesn't advance closer..

steelhound56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By steelhound56

@VercingetorixTheGreat: Exactly my thoughts. Heck, had Katara not been there it looked like he was just going to slap her around the place like a red headed stepchild. Azula wasnt doing too hot (haha firebending pun) in that final encounter.

I think Zuko's learning from the Dragons gives him an edge in bending knowledge when compared to Azula...

I wouldnt say Zhao was shrugging them off. He seemed to be funneling the attacks around his body. Shrugging off would imply he was simply meeting the attacks head on, "tanking" them if you will. Zuko stil had him on the run for the near entirety of their encounter at the North Pole.

Avatar image for vercingetorixthegreat
VercingetorixTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steelhound56: Zhao was a good bender but compared to Zuko and Azula he is an amateur. Like comparing Haru to Toph.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@steelhound56 said:

I wouldnt say Zhao was shrugging them off. He seemed to be funneling the attacks around his body. Shrugging off would imply he was simply meeting the attacks head on, "tanking" them if you will. Zuko stil had him on the run for the near entirety of their encounter at the North Pole.

Well, isn't it what they're supposed to do when not dodging? Zuko was trying to do the same in their kai, but he was being driven back, and even fell off.. I'd still say he's ok as long as he stays out of close range combat..

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Dextersinister

Azula, Zhao was beaten easily by a season 1 Zuko, his showings are so bad you may has well have teamed Zuko up with the cabbage vendor.

Avatar image for matthew_shiflett123
Matthew_Shiflett123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Season 1 Zuko wouldn't win, but late season 3 would. By that time, he had learned better fire bending from dragons and learned lightning redirection. Also, Zuko, while slower, would likely have more strength, toughness, and stamina due to his time spent out in the world.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

Someone bumped my thread! yesss!

106me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call me crazy, but I'm willing to bet Zuko might just win.

Avatar image for raimundopedrosa
raimundopedrosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Azula is perfectly sane and together, this fight is probably a stalemate, because she was fighting on even terms with Sokka and Zuko in "The Boiling Rock" and even showed to have a little upper hand on them, since they needed Mai's help to survive, but she propelled and saved herself.

raimundopedrosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Season 1 Zuko wouldn't win, but late season 3 would. By that time, he had learned better fire bending from dragons and learned lightning redirection. Also, Zuko, while slower, would likely have more strength, toughness, and stamina due to his time spent out in the world.

Someone bumped my thread! yesss!

But the thing is that late Season 3 Zuko was still slightly behind sane Azula, since he needed Sokka's help to duel with her evenly and Mai's help to survive. But since Zuko does have Zhao here, I think that the team should break even with Azula if she's all together.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#65 Lunacyde  Moderator

Given it's book 1 Zuko, Azula wins.

Avatar image for captainmarvelthunder
CaptainMarvelThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Team wins. I think Zuko was already better than his sister before he went and trained with Aang.

CaptainMarvelThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll give it to Zuko and Zhao. What I took away from Zuko and Azula's Agni Kai in the series finale is that Zuko was every bit Azula's equal in firebending mastery, mental state or not. Learning from the Sun Warriors and the last Dragons seemed to progress his firebending tremendously.

After learning from the Dragons, we have three encounters as far as Azula v. Zuko is concerned.

1. Boiling Rock, Azula v. Zuko and Sokka.

Here we see Zuko fighting Azula briefly with Sokka's assistance. Here we see how Zuko's firebending style is beginning to change. He's far less reckless with his strikes, and is beginning to adopt more of a "counter" strategy to Azula's attacks. We see him using various moves to block and cancel out Azula's firebending with his own. Sokka helps out in some capacity, but his assistance is limited in value against Azula, who has more than held her own against multiple opponents many times.

Azula > Zuko

2. On top of the airship, Azula v. Zuko

Here we see what could very well be a perfect draw between the two. Zuko is able to surprise Azula with his newfound prowess, and they both end up being knocked off of the airship IIRC. Azula escapes on her own merit, Zuko get caught by Oppa and the Gaang.

Azula >= Zuko

3. Agni Kai, Fire Nation. In essence, Azula v. Zuko

The final fight between the two has them pitted against each other in a fire duel during Sozin's Comet. Both Azula and Zuko's firebending power is greatly amped. There are several little points in this fight that suggest to me that Zuko had surpassed Azula in skill at this point. Granted, Azula is unhinged at this point, but bear with me...

A. Zuko was able to control the center of the field.

We have Zuko matching Azula in raw power during this fight, with their generic sheets of flame basically clashing and sliding off of one another. We also see Zuko using innovative counter bends and some highly advanced bending moves, one of which forces Azula to adopt a look of shock, and forces her to dodge the attack instead of meeting it head on. When she begins to "fire skate" about, blasting Zuko with various attacks, Zuko remains balanced and continues to counter her moves, as well as knocking her to the dirt with a AoE firebend that catches her off guard.

B. Zuko is far less fatigued by the confrontation.

Here is where we see Zuko's change in style really shine. After altering his technique and refining his style, he appears to expend far less energy as opposed to his Book 2 self.

Essentially, he focuses on redirection and countering attacks, waiting for an opportunity to strike, rather than trying to overwhelm an opponent with offense.

This is highlighted in his Agni Kai with Azula. He forces Azula to expend more energy defending herself and trying to gain an upper hand than he expends defending and countering her attacks. Azula is shown breathing fairly heavily prior to forcing Zuko to take that lightning shot. Zuko is even comfortable enough to taunt Azula while appearing to remain fresh and energized.

C. The "feel" of the fight was leaning heavily in Zuko's favor.

Unhinged or not, Azula was outclassed by Zuko in the Agni Kai. By a pretty considerable margin. Zuko was clearly the superior firebender in the confrontation.

Azula was going to lose that fight pretty handily prior to taking advantage of Katara's prescence in the field. In my opinion, Azula being bats*it crazy during the fight didnt have as much of an impact on her skill as we are led to believe.

I dont think her being in her normal state of mind was going to make that big of a difference during this fight, as Zuko had largely let go of his anger and frustration, something that Azula had used to unbalance Zuko in their prior confrontations.

End of Series Zuko >> Unhinged Azula

End of Series Zuko >= "Sane" Azula.

Zuko will at least be able to keep Azula occupied, while Zhao may be able to get in a few hits. If Zhao gets taken out early by Azula (which is probably what will happen), I think Zuko takes this a very, very tough fight.

What he said

Avatar image for deactivated-5dace575ce059
deactivated-5dace575ce059

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm giving this one to Azula. For one, Zhao was a chump who got bested by season 1 Zuko -- it wasn't jobbing, he was just a military strategist, not a prodigy bender with the greatest instructors in the kingdom available to him ala Zuko and Azula. Azula took on Zuko, Iroh, and team avatar by herself and got away while severely injuring, an albeit distracted Iroh. Zuko and Katara plainly admitted that, were she in her right state of mind, they needed both of them to take her on and even then it wasn't a sure bet, and I rate Zhao far less than Katara. I see this quickly becoming a Zuko vs Azula fight, as Azula could pretty quickly and easily dispose of an outmatched Zhao. Azula's very well versed in fighting multiple opponents so this shouldn't be new to her.

Zuko vs Azula would be a good fight, but Azula should, by all means, still outdo him, lightning redirection or not.

raimundopedrosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By raimundopedrosa

@captainmarvelthunder said:

Team wins. I think Zuko was already better than his sister before he went and trained with Aang.

I don't think so at all. He wasn't even quite her equalafter the dragon training, let alone better than her before it. In every fight that he had with her after the dragon training, he needed some sort of external aid or for Azula to be at some disadvantage just so that he could match her.

Right after the dragon training when she was still perfectly sane, he needed Sokka's help to fight with her on even terms and then, when the lines were about to be cut, Azula saved herself, whereas Zuko and Sokka were completely done for until Mai stepped in and saved their lives.

In the next fight, Azula wasn't exactly insane, but she was evidently losing her sanity and slipping. This let Zuko fight evenly with her one on one, but then when they were both falling off, Zuko was done for until Appa swooped by and Katara pulled him in, whereas Azula got to the same level of safety all by herself, which even left Zuko to grudgingly admit that Azula was always a step ahead of him.

I think that Zuko with his swords and firebending after dragon training could perfectly match a sane, perfect Azula, though.

@killerwasp said:

@dredeuced said:

I'm giving this one to Azula. For one, Zhao was a chump who got bested by season 1 Zuko -- it wasn't jobbing, he was just a military strategist, not a prodigy bender with the greatest instructors in the kingdom available to him ala Zuko and Azula. Azula took on Zuko, Iroh, and team avatar by herself and got away while severely injuring, an albeit distracted Iroh. Zuko and Katara plainly admitted that, were she in her right state of mind, they needed both of them to take her on and even then it wasn't a sure bet, and I rate Zhao far less than Katara. I see this quickly becoming a Zuko vs Azula fight, as Azula could pretty quickly and easily dispose of an outmatched Zhao. Azula's very well versed in fighting multiple opponents so this shouldn't be new to her.

Zuko vs Azula would be a good fight, but Azula should, by all means, still outdo him, lightning redirection or not.

Good analysis. But one thing: Zuko and Katara together during Sozin's Comet would've demolished sane Azula, p oint blank. Katara on a normal day has outmatched her and, while Azula did have Sozin's Comet, lightning would be a no go for her since Zuko can redirect it and Zuko could give her a good match while Katara freezes her. Tell me this: who's more of a threat: Katara or Sokka? Obviously Katara. If Sokka and Zuko together can evenly match Azula, then Katara and Zuko together would destroy her. That was why Azula lured Zuko one on one in the first place, and Katara called Azula out on it.

Avatar image for justsomerandomkid
JustSomeRandomKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zuko solos. He's already beaten her before.

raimundopedrosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By raimundopedrosa

@steelhound56 said:

I'll give it to Zuko and Zhao. What I took away from Zuko and Azula's Agni Kai in the series finale is that Zuko was every bit Azula's equal in firebending mastery, mental state or not. Learning from the Sun Warriors and the last Dragons seemed to progress his firebending tremendously.

After learning from the Dragons, we have three encounters as far as Azula v. Zuko is concerned.

1. Boiling Rock, Azula v. Zuko and Sokka.

Here we see Zuko fighting Azula briefly with Sokka's assistance. Here we see how Zuko's firebending style is beginning to change. He's far less reckless with his strikes, and is beginning to adopt more of a "counter" strategy to Azula's attacks. We see him using various moves to block and cancel out Azula's firebending with his own. Sokka helps out in some capacity, but his assistance is limited in value against Azula, who has more than held her own against multiple opponents many times.

Azula > Zuko

2. On top of the airship, Azula v. Zuko

Here we see what could very well be a perfect draw between the two. Zuko is able to surprise Azula with his newfound prowess, and they both end up being knocked off of the airship IIRC. Azula escapes on her own merit, Zuko get caught by Oppa and the Gaang.

Azula >= Zuko

3. Agni Kai, Fire Nation. In essence, Azula v. Zuko

The final fight between the two has them pitted against each other in a fire duel during Sozin's Comet. Both Azula and Zuko's firebending power is greatly amped. There are several little points in this fight that suggest to me that Zuko had surpassed Azula in skill at this point. Granted, Azula is unhinged at this point, but bear with me...

A. Zuko was able to control the center of the field.

We have Zuko matching Azula in raw power during this fight, with their generic sheets of flame basically clashing and sliding off of one another. We also see Zuko using innovative counter bends and some highly advanced bending moves, one of which forces Azula to adopt a look of shock, and forces her to dodge the attack instead of meeting it head on. When she begins to "fire skate" about, blasting Zuko with various attacks, Zuko remains balanced and continues to counter her moves, as well as knocking her to the dirt with a AoE firebend that catches her off guard.

B. Zuko is far less fatigued by the confrontation.

Here is where we see Zuko's change in style really shine. After altering his technique and refining his style, he appears to expend far less energy as opposed to his Book 2 self.

Essentially, he focuses on redirection and countering attacks, waiting for an opportunity to strike, rather than trying to overwhelm an opponent with offense.

This is highlighted in his Agni Kai with Azula. He forces Azula to expend more energy defending herself and trying to gain an upper hand than he expends defending and countering her attacks. Azula is shown breathing fairly heavily prior to forcing Zuko to take that lightning shot. Zuko is even comfortable enough to taunt Azula while appearing to remain fresh and energized.

C. The "feel" of the fight was leaning heavily in Zuko's favor.

Unhinged or not, Azula was outclassed by Zuko in the Agni Kai. By a pretty considerable margin. Zuko was clearly the superior firebender in the confrontation.

Azula was going to lose that fight pretty handily prior to taking advantage of Katara's prescence in the field. In my opinion, Azula being bats*it crazy during the fight didnt have as much of an impact on her skill as we are led to believe.

I dont think her being in her normal state of mind was going to make that big of a difference during this fight, as Zuko had largely let go of his anger and frustration, something that Azula had used to unbalance Zuko in their prior confrontations.

End of Series Zuko >> Unhinged Azula

End of Series Zuko >= "Sane" Azula.

Zuko will at least be able to keep Azula occupied, while Zhao may be able to get in a few hits. If Zhao gets taken out early by Azula (which is probably what will happen), I think Zuko takes this a very, very tough fight.

Azula being bat crazy did have a huge impact on her skills. There's no doubting that. Zuko even admitted that to both Katara and Iroh that he would need help taking her if she was sane. He also admitted to Katara that the only reason why he agreed to an individual fight was because she was extremely off her rocker this time.

Azula was literally schizophrenic, hallucinating images of her mother and not being able to tell that they were hallucinations and had clear signs of continuous sleepless nights on her face. She was literally fighting like a drunken lady, but it was still no easy match for Zuko. He gained the upper hand after a good, tough fight and Azula sure as hell made him work for it.

Azula hallucinating and having gone sleeps without night and having extremely sloppy form definitely impacted her ability and this was the very reason why Zuko even agreed to fighting her individually.

Even the Avatar Wiki says that Azula's mental health threw her off her game very significantly. But that fight was by no means a curbstomp in Zuko's favor. It was a good victory after a good fight.

Being as how Zuko was pretty much fodder to Azula before the dragon training, let's assess their fights after his dragon training --->

Zuko and Sokka versus Azula: Azula was perfectly together and this point and this fight was very evenly matched, with Zuko's firebending and Sokka's sword singing proving to be an even match for Azula. Seeing as how the lines were about to be cut, Azula propelled herself to safety, whereas Zuok and Sokka watched helplessly in horror until Mai jumped in to save them.

----> Sane Azula> Zuko and Soka

Azula followed Zuko to the Western Air Temple and, by this point, a little while after Mai and Ty Lee had betrayed, no longer had the calm, cool headed calculating demeanor that she used to. She wasn't quite insane, but she was evidently losing her sanity and slipping into insanity. Not there yet, but slipping. This fight was also very evenly matched. Zuko and Azula sent each other flying off the airship and both started to fall. Zuko was completely done for until Appa swooped by and Katara pulled him in, but Azula was able to propel herself to safety again and win.

----> Deteriorating Azula> Zuko

Azula was completely insane at this point and lost her touch with reality. She underwent extreme psychosis and couldn't tell reality apart from hallucination. She challenged Zuko to an individual fight, knowing that she could not take Zuko and Katara at once, and fought with Zuko for a while until he finally gained the upper hand. It looked like Zuko was going to win until he gave away his trump card to her and allowed her to manipulate him. In the fight, though, Zuko pretty much looked like the winner.

----> Zuko> completely insane Azula

Therefore, sane Azula> deteriorating Azula> Zuko> totally insane Azula.

raimundopedrosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zuko solos. He's already beaten her before.

If this is sane Azula, then he does not solo. With Zhao helping out, though, they have a good chance of taking her down. If Sokka and Zuko combined could hold their own against Azula, then I think Zhao and Zuko combined would be enough to bring her down. But Zuko doesn't solo. If he has his swords, though, then he alone could very well be a perfect equal to sane Azula.

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Azula 6.5/10 times.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Lunacyde  Moderator

Does no one actually read the OP? this is sane Azula and Zuko before he learned from the Firebending masters.

Azula wins.

CaptainMarvelThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raimundopedrosa: Good points. I don't knowif there is any way to be 100% sure of who is stronger it is all speculation, but I still think he could have taken her all the way back at then end of book 2. I don't think he really needed Sokka to match her but it's not like he would turn down the assist. As far as her not needing help to save herself good for her but it could just be that she is getting lucky (which of course so was he).

raimundopedrosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By raimundopedrosa

@lunacyde said:

Does no one actually read the OP? this is sane Azula and Zuko before he learned from the Firebending masters.

Azula wins.

Oh, then hell yeah, she wrecks. Even after the dragon training, Zuko couldn't stand up to her alone when she was perfectly sane. He needed help from Sokka and assistance from Mai to perfectly stalemate her. If he doesn't have his swords here and this is after the dragon training, then he and Zhao can likely stalemate her. If he has his swords here and it's after the dragon training, then he and Azula are evenly matched and Zhao helps Zuko balance out whatever advantages he can.

@captainmarvelthunder said:

@raimundopedrosa: Good points. I don't knowif there is any way to be 100% sure of who is stronger it is all speculation, but I still think he could have taken her all the way back at then end of book 2. I don't think he really needed Sokka to match her but it's not like he would turn down the assist. As far as her not needing help to save herself good for her but it could just be that she is getting lucky (which of course so was he).

Thanks :) Dude, I'm sorry, but I really don't think that he a match for her at all before the dragon training. He still has yet to show that he can even match her while perfectly sane after his dragon training. Yes, all those factors did contribute.

Sokka was a very essential part in that fight, because it was his sword slashing at Azula that made her have to be a lot more careful and which allowed Zuko to fight evenly with her. Azula wasn't even trying or taking Zuko seriously when it was just the two of them, but as soon as Sokka tried to cut her head off, she twirled in midair, dodged his sword attack, dissipated Zuko's fire attack, and then had an even fight at her hands. Yes, Zuko did need Sokka's help to match her, as clearly shown.

And one thing that you can't deny is that Zuko and Sokka, while fighting Azula, definitely needed Mai's assistance to survive the lines being cut like Azula had all by herself, propelling herself to safety, showing her greater skill. So, even here, Azula had the upper hand on Zuko and Sokka combined. Zuko would need both his swords after dragon training to match Azula.

And to say that Zuko before this point was better than is rather ludicrous :( I'm sorry to sound rude or anything.

For the second fight, there was no luck in Azula's part. Without friends or external aid, Azula showed enough skill and intelligent to save herself during the fall. Without friends or external aid, Zuko would've died.

But since Zuko didn't have his swords in either of these fights and, with them, I think that he would've been an even match for her haha. Because Zuko individually was weaker than Azula individually when she was slipping, but not insane. So, with one sword, he'd should be equal with her. And then Zuko and Sokka were still outmatched by Azula as she didn't need any external help to survive the gondolas being cut. So, with both swords, he shouldn't need Sokka or Mai to match her perfectly while she's sane.

But yeah, I don't see him as superior to sane Azula in just firebending by any showings or means.

CaptainMarvelThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raimundopedrosa: Why do you think she is weaker after she goes insane?

Concerning the fight on the mountain side. It was not really a fair fight since she had superior positioning from the start. In addition to this there is no way to know if Zuko would have made it on his own or not, maybe he would have maybe he would not have. Azula almost didn't make it and was just "lucky" the mountain ledge was close enough to her. The fight was clearly showing them as equals at that point. If they were fighting in a "perfect scenario" (meaning even ground and no interference which is what their last fight was going to be until she targeted Katara) I believe that Zuko would win. Azuala is more underhanded and ruthless than Zuko; targeting anything and anyone that gets in her way to get an advantage (as best demonstrated in her last fight with Zuko in the series). When they fight on even ground the best she seems to hope for at this point is to match him.

Zuko was fighting on even terms with Azula before Sokka started to attack. Ultimately he proved to be a bit of a hindrance when the line was cut because Zuko had to use time to save him rather than save himself or fight his sister. Zuko did not need him to fight evenly with her because he was already doing that. Sokka should have been helping Suki instead in my opinion.

"Azula wasn't even trying or taking Zuko seriously when it was just the two of them." Never said she didn't believe she was superior, just that she no longer was. Also there is not much to make one think she was not taking her brother seriously.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Azula

Aressword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Azula actually takes this in non crazy mode. Zhao is essentially a non factor since he didn't learn the basics. And Zuko is very good at the end of the series but he would have gotten stomped if Azula wasn't losing her mind.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Zuko was equal to Azula by the end of the series, IMO.

VenomousDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By VenomousDragon

Imo Zuko had already surpassed Azula in term of raw destructive power by the end of season 2 what she had over him after that was superior technical skill and her mind games which were super effective on zuko.

By the time we get around to the agni kai zuko imo now rivals her in technical skill (albeit very different styles) is clearly superior in destructive power (zuko unleashed the only technique that had to dodged and could not be countered or blocked) and has made peace with himself and knows what he needs to do and how to do it making her mind games less effective if at all.

I believe he can solo

And to anyone who says he had to work for his beating Azula in the final agni kai is deluding themselves he wasn't even breathing heavily

raimundopedrosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By raimundopedrosa

@captainmarvelthunder said: @raimundopedrosa: Why do you think she is weaker after she goes insane?

Concerning the fight on the mountain side. It was not really a fair fight since she had superior positioning from the start. In addition to this there is no way to know if Zuko would have made it on his own or not, maybe he would have maybe he would not have. Azula almost didn't make it and was just "lucky" the mountain ledge was close enough to her. The fight was clearly showing them as equals at that point. If they were fighting in a "perfect scenario" (meaning even ground and no interference which is what their last fight was going to be until she targeted Katara) I believe that Zuko would win. Azuala is more underhanded and ruthless than Zuko; targeting anything and anyone that gets in her way to get an advantage (as best demonstrated in her last fight with Zuko in the series). When they fight on even ground the best she seems to hope for at this point is to match him.

Zuko was fighting on even terms with Azula before Sokka started to attack. Ultimately he proved to be a bit of a hindrance when the line was cut because Zuko had to use time to save him rather than save himself or fight his sister. Zuko did not need him to fight evenly with her because he was already doing that. Sokka should have been helping Suki instead in my opinion.

"Azula wasn't even trying or taking Zuko seriously when it was just the two of them." Never said she didn't believe she was superior, just that she no longer was. Also there is not much to make one think she was not taking her brother seriously.

Because she's hallucinating, not fully focused, completely out of her game, and tired as hell from going nights without sleep? Lol gee, I wonder... not to mention that Zuko ADMITTED THAT THE ONLY REASON WHY HE AGREED TO FIGHT INDIVIDUALLY WAS BECAUSE HE KNEW THAT SHE WAS COMPLETELY OUT OF IT!

No, she didn't. Once they got on the airship, they were on equal footing and, still, Zuko was completely helpless. And it pretty much is confirmed that Zuko couldn't have made it on his own that day. He was completely done for until the Gaang came in. That's why Zuko expected Azula to fall to his death the same way that he had, but instead she made it and this brough shock to his face. And the last fight, she was so insane and off her rocker that that hardly qualifies as a fair fight. On the airship, she was ready for Zuko and he was ready for her and he opted to face her alone. At this point, she wasn't quite insane, but was slipping and still fought evenly with Zuko. By the end of the fight, Azula saved herself where Zuko needed Katara and Appa.

No, Zuko wasn't. He was going all out, whereas Azula wasn't even trying and the only time that she had to take the fight seriously was when Sokka intervened and threatened to stab her with a sword. She wasn't even in the slightest pushed to her limit or showing any signs of weaknesses until Sokka jumped in. Zuko was trying really hard to take her down, but she was contending with him with no effort and only put in effort as soon as Sokka stepped in. Then, the fight got even. Also, even the Avatar Wiki, an extremely credible Avatar source, writes in Azula's abilities that even while she's losing her sanity, she's intelligent and calculating enough to save herself in a deadly situation like the one on the cliffside, whereas Zuko needs helps and that she's able to fight on equal footing with Zuko and Sokka combined. Plus, even then, Zuko and Sokka were completely done for when the guards were about to cut the lines until Mai stepped in and saved their lives. Azula, on the other hand, was able to save herself via propulsion. In fact, thank you for bringing up how Sokka didn't go and help Suki, who was fighting on even terms with Ty Lee. If Zuko was truly equal to Azula at that point, then he would've said to Sokka "go and help SUki instead. She needs it more." and don't say that Zuko's not one to deny help, because Zuko denied Katara's intervention when he saw that Azula was so insane that he'd finally be able to take her .He initially wanted to fight Azula alone, but Iroh called him out on how he wouldn't be able to face her solo. Sokka was helping Zko in that fight, because he needed the help to match Azula. Note how Suki alone was even with Ty Lee. Zuko didn't tell Sokka to back off, because he's got the fight. He did it with Katara in the final fight with Azula, but he didn't do it with Sokka back then. And both times it was because he knew and admitted that she was more than a match for him individually. The point about Suki only strengthens my argument.

In the first fight after Zuko's dragon training, he did have Sokka's help and there is no way around that. Even then, the due needed Mai's help to survive the fight, whereas Azula saved herself, proving herself to be equal to the duo when they're assisted. Zuko didn't fight her individually, but two on one, and she proved to be an even match for both.

In the second fight, Azula was starting to lose her sanity, but she still fought evenly with Zuko and proved herself to be the quicker thinker and more capable fighter when she created jets to save her life.

In the third fight, Azula was so insane and far gone that she couldn't even tell reality apart from her hallucinations and had bags under her eyes from sleepless nights. The mental health issues there severely hindered her ability as a fighter that day.

However, if Zuko gets his swords, then I call him an even match for Azula.

I can understand considering Zuko an even match for sane Azula (though that is pushing it), but he never showed anything to be superior to her when she's sane, whereas she was able to match him when she had some sort of external disadvantage or he had some sort of external advantage. She was never shown weaker than him after his dragon training, except for when she was completely insane. I don't write the show, but the show shows that Zuko needed help matching her in fighting ability. Plus, Azula also has far more impressive feats than Zuko's, such as consistently contending with Aang. But to say that Zuko is better than Azula individually before leaving for dragon training, whereas the show shows that Azula is better than Zuko individually even after his dragon training is ridiculous. I'm sorry, but Zuko didn't show the ability to match Azula alone without Sokka in their first fight, the only fight where she was fully sane and together and Zuko had his dragon training.

Anyway, if we can't come to an agreement after this, then let's just drop it.

raimundopedrosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And to anyone who says he had to work for his beating Azula in the final agni kai is deluding themselves he wasn't even breathing heavily

Zuko didn't win that fight as easily as you're saying. He was still concentrating very hard, showing signs of tension and anxiety, almost slipping, and getting a damn good fight on his hands. For a good minute, she was matching him blow for blow. He didn't dominate the whole fight. Just got an edge for her when she stupidly left herself open for attack. And Azula wasn't exactly in proper fighting conditions that day, as it is.

Also, Zuko did not have her beaten in raw destructive power. Azula's flames are by nature stronger than his and this was shown in all their fights. Even after the dragon training ones where he was fighting relatively evenly with her, her flames still pushed his back.

Blue fire is stronger than red.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Stormdriven

Raw power definitely goes to the team, but Azula is leagues above Zhao and probably a level above Zuko at the end of the series. I don't think Zuko would get stomped as easily as people seem to think, but he certainly isn't beating her. And Zhao is going to be taken out decisively. Azula wins in a tough fight.

raimundopedrosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

End of series and in character? Could go either way.

Zuko, in character after dragon training (which means that his personality was more passive than Azula's and not hellbent on killing like she was), with Sokka was an even match for Azula.

Granted, Sokka is no slouch with a sword and is very talented, but Zhao is definitely more of a threat and asset than Sokka is. As long as Zuko neutralizes her lightning, she can't do any serious damage, and Zhao will be a sitting duck against her XD

I personally think that an interesting matchup would be Zuko before the dragon training against extremely insane end of series Azula.

Before Book 3, though, Azula destroys Zuko, insane or not.

Also, if we're using current kemurikage Azula, then this'll be a good match XD

Basically, Azula shoots lightning at Zuko, Zuko redirects it, and then Azula redirects at Zhao, putting him out of the fight, and goes on to drop Zuko XD

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I change my mind. Team takes it in a tough fight.

vengefulshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Book 1 Zuko?

Lol, Azula stomps them with her h2h alone.

WF_Mxyzptlk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zhao moonbusts.

vengefulshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By anthp2000  Moderator  Online

@stormdriven said:

Raw power definitely goes to the team, but Azula is leagues above Zhao and probably a level above Zuko at the end of the series. I don't think Zuko would get stomped as easily as people seem to think, but he certainly isn't beating her. And Zhao is going to be taken out decisively. Azula wins in a tough fight.

That's Book 1 Zuko. I'd say EoS Zuko with Zhao is debatable.

OT, both are fodder to her. Unless Zhao goes for a moonbust and solo.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 anthp2000  Moderator  Online

@stormdriven: Oh, I didn't see the edit lol

Zhao is still fodder tho

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anthp2000: In a 1 on 1, I agree. But he's not alone here. Zuko is already a handful for Azula, having Zhao there just seals the deal.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 anthp2000  Moderator  Online

@stormdriven: I don't think he is good enough to seal the victory. If Azula is fighting at her best and not like in the Southern Raiders, you know, ultizing her agility, using different kinds of techniques etc. then Zhao can't offer anything.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anthp2000: I don't see why he can't. Zuko and Azula are already more or less equals. With Zuko keeping most of her attention, Zhao can get a hit in sooner or later.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 anthp2000  Moderator  Online

@stormdriven: If she can dominate a 3 way fight while in the middle I ain't seeing Zhao drawing her attention while she is fighting from one side.
Sure. Zuko could match Azula is raw power and they were equals. But like I said, if she is fighting at her best here, and isn't starting to lose it like on the airship, she'll ultize her agility and bending versatality.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anthp2000: She dominated a pre-prime Zuko and an Aang who hadn't slept in a day. Completely different circumstances. She wasn't losing it on the airship, Zuko would have noticed if she was like he did during the comet. With all things being equal, whoever has something added to their side generally takes the advantage. And while Zhao isn't a great fighter, I wouldn't say he's a liability here either.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 anthp2000  Moderator  Online

@stormdriven

She dominated a pre-prime Zuko and an Aang who hadn't slept in a day. Completely different circumstances.

Yes, I know the context here. I never said that she dominated any incredible opponent on the level of EoS Zuko. (although she still beat Aang 3 other times 1v1 tho) But she was able to dominate them while in the middle. I just braught that up to say that Zhao isn't drawing any attention.
And Zhao is well below a pre-prime Zuko.

She wasn't losing it on the airship, Zuko would have noticed if she was like he did during the comet.

Zuko is no mental doctor. There's a different between that:

No Caption Provided

And that:

No Caption Provided

Even a baby could tell that she was batshit crazy during the comet. But we can tell that she is really out of character in that fight on the airship (Which makes sense given what happened with Mai and Ty Lee a couple of episodes before)
She was constantly using brute force. She didn't dodge once. Instead, she just stands there and throws fire blasts then approaches for a punch. If you look at her fights in Book 2, that is so our of character for her. As a matter of fact, she didn't even care about Aang. She was obssesed with kiling Zuko because right after her mother, he also "stole" her only friends. She litteraly didn't care about Aang.

With all things being equal, whoever has something added to their side generally takes the advantage. And while Zhao isn't a great fighter, I wouldn't say he's a liability here either.

That's my problem. I just can't see EoS Zuko and completely sane Azula as equals.

raimundopedrosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, so now it depends what versions.

End of series Zuko after the dragon training with Sokka's help was an even match for pre-meltdown Azula. Zhao>>> Sokka.

If Zuko gets his swords and is willing to kill after his training with the dragons, then he's pretty much an even match for Azula before her mental breakdown. However, Azula would have a slight edge on him because Zuko cannot see out of his left eye, so Azula, having both her eyes, will have that one slight advantage.

If this is Zuko after his dragon training and he is willing to kill and has his swords and Zhao is helping him, then they will beat Azula before her meltdown. Zuko without his swords and instead with Sokka's help with just one sword was almost an even match for Azula before Mai and Ty Lee betrayed her and caused her to lose her sanity.

Now the second scenario, Azula may actually win if we are using:

Kemurikage Azula (who can redirect lightning and fight even better hand-to-hand and martial arts than she used to) against Zuko with his swords after dragon training willing to kill combined with Zhao.

In the comics, Zuko is back to once again being no longer a match for Azula. Even if he has his swords and is willing to kill, then there will only be so much that he can do before Azula kicks his ass.

Okay, at this point, remember what Season 1 loser Zuzu with the ponytail did to Zhao? So I don't see him making much of a difference here.

Azula firebending is stronger than Zuko's (even with his swords), and her martial arts are better than his. And then she has lightning.

Basically, kemurikage Azula will overpower Zuko with her fire. Then, Zhao will jump in the way and attack her, and then Azula will oneshot him with lightning.

Then, she will continue to dominate Zuko until she beats him, too. This isn't much of a fight.

So kemurikage Azula should beat Zuko with his swords after dragon training, even if he's willing to will and has his left eye healed and able to see as well as his right eye can, combined with Zhao 6/10.

Alsimmons77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uh S+S Azula walks just right through Zhao and then she kills Zuko, espcially book 1 would be an ugly missmatch.

Book 3 Azula against Eos Zuko and Zhao would be the only fair match, even then would i say stalemate at best for the team(Zhao just offers not rly much and just works as distraction, but that's not very easy against Azula with sanity).

End of series Zuko after the dragon training with Sokka's help was an even match for pre-meltdown Azula.

Just if Azula is also balancing on the edge of a Gondola here, while the team uses the perfect tactic for that situation.

Zhao>>> Sokka.

Zhao is not nearly that good.

If Zuko gets his swords and is willing to kill after his training with the dragons, then he's pretty much an even match for Azula before her mental breakdown.

No he isn't, as we perfectly saw on the Gondola. The swords are nigh useless if not even a hindrance and he was very obviously already willing to kill.

However, Azula would have a slight edge on him because Zuko cannot see out of his left eye, so Azula, having both her eyes, will have that one slight advantage.

What?

If this is Zuko after his dragon training and he is willing to kill and has his swords and Zhao is helping him, then they will beat Azula before her meltdown. Zuko without his swords and instead with Sokka's help with just one sword

I doubt it and would even say they more likely lose instead of stalemating, if Zuko keeps the swords.

Zuko without his swords

Which is more an advantage against someone like Azula in my opinion.

and instead with Sokka's help with just one sword

In that situation probably better than Zhao.

was almost an even match for Azula before Mai and Ty Lee betrayed her and caused her to lose her sanity.

You're still missing the crucial context, Sokka's sword assistence was perfect against Azula standing right on the edge.

The second scenario could happen like you described in my opinion though.