Azazel (Marvel) vs. Drizzt Do'Urden

WindCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WindCloud
Ignore teleportation.  Ignore a drow's innate magical abilities.  Ignore a half-demon's innate magical abilities.  Ignore the fact that both combatants may be wielding magical blades.  Ignore BFR.  Battle is to the death.  Bloodlust on.  Morals off.  Who dies first in this spectacular and ambidextrous pure swordfight ?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
WindCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By WindCloud

Bump !

Drizzt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Drizzt

I win.

WindCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WindCloud
@Drizzt said:
I win.
LOL !!!   nice........
cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cattlebattle

I did this battle but not these rules, I'd imagine they would stalemate via stabbing each other

alcoholbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By alcoholbob

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Drizzt is considered the most talented swordsman in D&D, as far as official stats have been posted. And his gear...epic to say the least. He also has a pretty good track record vs demons...

And Azazel's teleportation is one of his greatest strengths right?...sounds like he;s doomed.

WindCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WindCloud
@cattlebattle said:
I did this battle but not these rules, I'd imagine they would stalemate via stabbing each other
My bad.  Didn't think that it was done before, so didn't bother to do a search.  haha.  But, thanks for the input nonetheless.
Avatar image for andy_steven_summers
Andy Steven Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alcoholbob said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Drizzt is considered the most talented swordsman in D&D, as far as official stats have been posted.
That is actually far from being correct. Even more so if you go by 'official' stats written up.
cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cattlebattle
@WindCloud: all good, great minds think alike,
WindCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WindCloud
@alcoholbob said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Drizzt is considered the most talented swordsman in D&D, as far as official stats have been posted. And his gear...epic to say the least. He also has a pretty good track record vs demons...  And Azazel's teleportation is one of his greatest strengths right?...sounds like he;s doomed.
No.  You are correct about Drizzt.  But, Azazel is also an extraordinary swordsman, and in my opinion, ranks up there alongside Artemis Entreri (Drizzt's main arch-nemesis) in sword-skills.  And, if Drizzt has trouble defeating Artemis for good, imagine fighting a half-demon that's as equally-skilled as Azazel.
WindCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WindCloud
@cattlebattle said:
@WindCloud: all good, great minds think alike,
haha.  Yes, indeed.
Andy Steven Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WindCloud said:
No.  You are correct about Drizzt.
Drizzt by official stats is not even 20th level. Unless things have changed and he has been given an upgraded stat block for 4th edition. His 3.5 version set him as Ftr10/Bbn1/Rgr5 which was only 16th level. Then add 2 for the Drow level adjustment and he is still just 18th level.

There are plenty of character who were far better than that. The King of Damar for example is Pal20/Clr5. All of his companions are of similar levels. The dead King of Cormyr was also a higher level fighter than anything Drizzt achieved. Numerous Drow from the same exact city he is from also exceed that benchmark. Ryld Argith for starters, along with his father, and Dantrag, and Del-Armgo weapon master. List goes on.

Now do I feel the official stats for Drizzt are a correct representation? No. Not in the least. But going by official stats. He would not be one of the most talented swordsman. If you consider how long he has had to perfect his craft compared to various humans. Not even close.
WindCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WindCloud
@Andy Steven Summers said:
@WindCloud said:
No.  You are correct about Drizzt.
Drizzt by official stats is not even 20th level. Unless things have changed and he has been given an upgraded stat block for 4th edition. His 3.5 version set him as Ftr10/Bbn1/Rgr5 which was only 16th level. Then add 2 for the Drow level adjustment and he is still just 18th level.  There are plenty of character who were far better than that. The King of Damar for example is Pal20/Clr5. All of his companions are of similar levels. The dead King of Cormyr was also a higher level fighter than anything Drizzt achieved. Numerous Drow from the same exact city he is from also exceed that benchmark. Ryld Argith for starters, along with his father, and Dantrag, and Del-Armgo weapon master. List goes on.  Now do I feel the official stats for Drizzt are a correct representation? No. Not in the least. But going by official stats. He would not be one of the most talented swordsman. If you consider how long he has had to perfect his craft compared to various humans. Not even close.
You are correct about the stats, sir:  there are indeed millions of characters in the Forgotten Realm that are higher leveled than him.  But,  I  believe that you know full well that having high experience levels does NOT make one a better-swordsman.  Yes, it may give him/her a better hit roll and damage bonus on the dice, but it is absolutely possible that a lower level character can also have learned a much better fighting skill than someone of higher level.  Now,  I  may have answered alcoholbob too soon about Drizzt being THE best swordsman in the FR setting (mainly coz  I  thought he said "Correct me if I'm wrong, but Drizzt is considered ONE of the most talented swordsman in D&D"............( I  did not notice that he did not have the words "one of" there), but if you seriously think that a human like the dead king of Cormyr was a better fighter, then  I  think you might be kidding yourself.  Now, having said all that,  I  really think that Drizzt is ONE OF THE BEST ( NOT the best) swordsman in D&D.  Otherwise, RA Salvatore wouldn't have created Artemis Entreri (a human) to be his equal.  Know what I'm saying ?
Andy Steven Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WindCloud said:
I  believe that you know full well that having high experience levels does NOT make one a better-swordsman.
The character's base attack bonus pretty much sums that up. So in a way, Yes. The more experience/levels you have the better swordsman you are. According to the rules. 

@WindCloud said:
Yes, it may give him/her a better hit roll and damage bonus on the dice, but it is absolutely possible that a lower level character can also have learned a much better fighting skill than someone of higher level.
According to the base attack bonus no. The roll of the dice is luck factor. Not skill. We take it to the next step and a lower level character has even less chance at winning once hit points and armor class come into play.

@WindCloud said:
Now,  I  may have answered alcoholbob too soon about Drizzt being THE best swordsman in the FR setting (mainly coz  I  thought he said "Correct me if I'm wrong, but Drizzt is considered ONE of the most talented swordsman in D&D"............( I  did not notice that he did not have the words "one of" there)
This doesn't even make sense by your own words. Unless you have a extremely loose perspective on what 'One of the most talented' means. As you, yourself said earlier that there are many characters in the Forgotten Realms who are of higher level. Fighters, Rangers, Paladins, etc. And as explained above going off 'official stats' He would not be one of the most talented. But fall shortly behind. He does not even break the Top 20 going off of official stats. (Again IMO the stats given to Drizzt are not a good representation of the character. But I am going off of what was said in this thread.)

@WindCloud said:
but if you seriously think that a human like the dead king of Cormyr was a better fighter, then  I  think you might be kidding yourself.
Based off of Official Rules. Yes. He was.
Going off what we have seen them accomplish throughout their novels. No. They are actually close. 
Keep in mind that the dead King of Cormyr has fought off the Devil Dragon. Which is no small feat.

@WindCloud said:
I  really think that Drizzt is ONE OF THE BEST ( NOT the best) swordsman in D&D.  Otherwise, RA Salvatore wouldn't have created Artemis Entreri (a human) to be his equal.  Know what I'm saying ?
Based off of Novels. I would agree. But based off of Official stats. Not even close.
WindCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WindCloud
@Andy Steven Summers:   

Okay.  It's all very good that you're going off stats and all, but:

1.  I  am only going off from the novels and comics, not stats, and if we go by novels and comics, then Drizzt will have to be close to being THE top swordsmen in D&D.
2.  I don't have a "loose perspective" of what "one of the most talented" means.  I  was simply saying that  I  THOUGHT alcoholbob said Drizzt  is one of the best swordsman in D&D, that's why   I  said that he was correct.   But, in actuality, he said Drizzt was THE best swordsman in D&D, which  (had  I  read his statement more carefully)  I  woulda said that he was wrong.  You get it now ?
3.  You got a little carried away with the stats explanation and arguing with me there, that you never really answered my OQ:  "who dies first between Drizzt and Azazel ?"
alcoholbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By alcoholbob
@alcoholbob said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Drizzt is considered the most talented swordsman in D&D, as far as official stats have been posted.
That is actually far from being correct. Even more so if you go by 'official' stats written up.
? Give some examples? I mean, you wouldn't post unless you had at least 1...right?
Andy Steven Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alcoholbob: I already provided examples above in an earlier post.

@WindCloud: Again as I stated in the post. My above statements were in regards to Drizzt being one of the best in respect to his Official Stats. This is incorrect.
However as I have said. I believe his Official stats to be a poor representation of the character. If you take what he has shown and done in the novels (NOT his official stats). Then yes. He should be one of the top swordsman.

As for the fight dealing in this thread. I don't know Azazel enough to make any claim. But I do know Drizzt well enough to correct right or wrong assumptions.
WindCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WindCloud
@alcoholbob said:
@alcoholbob said:
? Give some examples? I mean, you wouldn't post unless you had at least 1...right?
He wants to go by game stats, Bob, so  I  don't think he'll be able to post a pictorial scan any time soon (if that is what you're referring to),  and  I  also don't think that you guys will be reaching some kind of common agreement any time soon.
Andy Steven Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WindCloud said:
He wants to go by game stats.
No. I corrected a statement dealing with his official stats. Not once have I ever said I (or anyone) should base their stats on his official write ups.
alcoholbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By alcoholbob

@alcoholbob: I already provided examples above in an earlier post.

@WindCloud: Again as I stated in the post. My above statements were in regards to Drizzt being one of the best in respect to his Official Stats. This is incorrect. However as I have said. I believe his Official stats to be a poor representation of the character. If you take what he has shown and done in the novels (NOT his official stats). Then yes. He should be one of the top swordsman.  As for the fight dealing in this thread. I don't know Azazel enough to make any claim. But I do know Drizzt well enough to correct right or wrong assumptions.

Drizzt was stated out as Level 16 before the Obould invasion. Jaraxle Baenrae after his adventures in the Bloodstone Lands with Enterei gained 3 levels (18 -> 21).  The current Drizzt series is 100 years AFTER that.

When the next Essentials comes out you should easily see Drizzt in the mid 20s.

As far as King Gareth, you are talking about retired adventurers...I never said Drizzt was "the greatest of all time" if that's what you think I'm implying.
WindCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WindCloud
@WindCloud said:
He wants to go by game stats.
No. I corrected a statement dealing with his official stats. Not once have I ever said I (or anyone) should base their stats on his official write ups.
Huh ?  Alright, now you've lost me.
Andy Steven Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alcoholbob said:
I never said Drizzt was "the greatest of all time" if that's what you think I'm implying.
@alcoholbob said:
This has been shown to be proven wrong.

@alcoholbob said:
Drizzt was stated out as Level 16 before the Obould invasion. Jaraxle Baenrae after his adventures in the Bloodstone Lands with Enterei gained 3 levels (18 -> 21).  The current Drizzt series is 100 years AFTER that.   When the next Essentials comes out you should easily see Drizzt in the mid 20s.
Speculation. Your first post referred to Official stats. Which was incorrect. 

@alcoholbob said:
As far as King Gareth, you are talking about retired adventurers.
Retired or not he would still have a claim as you put it. "Most talented swordsman in D&D".
Andy Steven Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WindCloud said:
Huh ?  Alright, now you've lost me.
Bob made the claim that Drizzt was the most talented swordsman in D&D according to official stats. As shown my posts were to prove that assumption wrong.
alcoholbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By alcoholbob
@Andy Steven Summers: Your argument is aging retired or corpses of dead adventurers are better than Drizzt. I can't really help you if that's where you are going.
WindCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WindCloud
@Andy Steven Summers

Going by stats or not, if you or anyone seriously think that someone like King Gareth is a more talented swordsman than Drizzt, then you must have your head(s) examined.  LOL !  Sorry, but Drizzt is lightyears ahead of this character in swordsmanship, IMO.
Andy Steven Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alcoholbob said:
Your argument is aging retired or dead adventurers are better than Drizzt. I can't really help you if that's where you are going.
Thanks for agreeing your statement was false.
Andy Steven Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WindCloud: Based off of his novel representation. Yes.
Based off of Official stats Drizzt would get stomped.
alcoholbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By alcoholbob

@alcoholbob said:

Your argument is aging retired or dead adventurers are better than Drizzt. I can't really help you if that's where you are going.

Let me clarify since you seem to be having problems with basic semantics then. Drizzt is the most talented swords among those who can still fight. It's unfortunate that one has to be so precise

It's like if someone were to ask what is the fasted military plane and I were to say the Mig-25. Then someone interjects no its the SR-71is, because even though its retired, it is faster...as if that was relevant answer to a question asked today

I need to remind myself that some people need to be spoon-fed one word at a time in order to get an idea across.
WindCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WindCloud
@alcoholbob said:
LMAO !!!
WindCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WindCloud
@alcoholbob said:
@alcoholbob said:
Let me clarify since you seem to be having problems with basic semantics then. Drizzt is the most talented swords among those who can still fight. It's unfortunate that one has to be so precise.   I need to remind myself that some people need to be spoon-fed one word at a time in order to get an idea across.
Told you you guys wouldn't agree with each other any time soon.  This is hilarious.  LOL !!!
Andy Steven Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alcoholbob: Jarlaxle is still alive and can give him a run for his money. So could Artemis who is still alive. Along with his new 'companion in which he met during the Gauntlgrym series. Also the 'annoying' Dwarf Athrogate could and has been shown to give him some trouble. These are just characters inside his own books. You seem to forget that the Forgotten Realms is a LOT bigger than just the tiny spec of land Drizzt and his friends play on.
I suggest you actually read the other novels and learn more about the characters. The War of the Spider Queen and the Last Mythal series both introduce a number of characters who could give him a 'run for his money'.
Billdevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Billdevil

Because this is a pure sword fight .... Drizzt for the win. THERE IS NO ONE BETTER WITH A BLADE. 

Avatar image for czarny_samael666
czarny_samael666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By czarny_samael666

And I've still played only PS2 version of Baldur... There Drizzt was more then a beast.

alcoholbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By alcoholbob

@alcoholbob

said:

Drizzt was stated out as Level 16 before the Obould invasion. Jaraxle Baenrae after his adventures in the Bloodstone Lands with Enterei gained 3 levels (18 -> 21).  The current Drizzt series is 100 years AFTER that.   When the next Essentials comes out you should easily see Drizzt in the mid 20s.

Speculation. Your first post referred to Official stats. Which was incorrect. 

Actually I found Drizzt's 4E stats. It's in Dungeon Magazine #171. He is a BEAST. He is a Level 21 Solo , while Jarlaxle is a Level 21 Elite. A solo represents three Elites of the same level. Drizzt is effectively a Level 27 character right now.

764 hit points, makes 2 and half times more attacks than Jarlaxle and has a ton of abilities that make Jarlaxle look like an amateur.

Right now he is the PRIME D&D swordsman. In other words, as he is built right now, he is designed to fight Jarlaxle AND Entreri at the same time, and win. Statistically he is as strong as an Elder Red Dragon right now.

It's been 100+ years, Drizzt has obviously leveled up...no speculation needed ;p
Andy Steven Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alcoholbob: Any chance you can scan it, or post it?
Curious to see what his gear and stats look like. 

(Even though 4E blows chunks)
alcoholbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By alcoholbob
No Caption Provided
alcoholbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By alcoholbob

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/250/drizzta.jpg

Apparently too high resolution for comicvine

Andy Steven Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alcoholbob: Seems they have raised his strength considerably. Dex and Con also took a boost, but his intelligence dropped.
Awe they didn't list statistics for Icingdeath and Twinkle. Guess it's better this way as they always screw them up.

It also says that Drizzt is a level 21 solo skirmisher.
Andy Steven Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WindCloud: Question about the battle. You mentioned we should ignore the characters magical abilities, and magical blades.
But what about their other equipment?
alcoholbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By alcoholbob

Yep he's a solo. He gives 16,000 XP as a solo vs Jaraxle who gives about 6,000XP as an elite. So he is supposed to present the challenge of ~3 Jarlaxles. On the XP table for elites, 16,000 is roughly level 26.

Elite is equivalent to a player character. Solo ~ 2.5 Elites.

alcoholbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By alcoholbob

Don't tell me you don't like minions.

We get a wave of ninjas who die in 1 hit :D

So you have that scene in the movies where some 12 year old girl miraculously kills a level 40 ninja assassin trying to assassinate her with a well placed trap and hitting him on the back of the head with a baseball bat.

Usually that would just result in a critical hit but since he had more hp he'd just turn around and keep fighting.

Andy Steven Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alcoholbob: lol
I'll stick to the -Age- system Green Ronin is doing for the Dragon Age series.
WindCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By WindCloud
@WindCloud: Question about the battle. You mentioned we should ignore the characters magical abilities, and magical blades. But what about their other equipment?
My bad.  Guess  I  shoulda specified a little better......*ahem*.....as it stands right now:  in terms of weapons and other equipments, assume Azazel got a hold of Khazid'hea somehow in one hand, and a NORMAL shortsword +5 in the other (with no other magical properties).  Drizzt, of course, is holding both Twinkle and Icingdeath (and  I'm assuming neither one has "demon slaying" as a property).  Also, Drizzt just has his pifwawi (don't know if  I  spelled that correctly, but it's his elven cloak), and nothing else magical.  Oh yeah, and no Guen figurine either.
WindCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By WindCloud
@Justin_Credible said:
@WindCloud: I was more curious about his bracers (that he uses as anklets) and his newest item he got. His spider-silk shirt.
The bracers are known "Bracers of Blinding Strike" and they allow him more control over his attacks AND gives him more attacks per round.  His spider-silk shirt gives him another +1 to AC,  I  believe.  But, again, for the purposes of this battle, he's not wearing either one here.
WindCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By WindCloud
@Justin_Credible said:
@WindCloud: I'm well aware of what the items are. His spider-silk shirt was taken off one of the Drow from The Two Swords trilogy. This garment prevented even Drizzt's blades from penetrating it. I would hope it gives more than a simple +1 AC in games terms. But we'll never know as even in the 4E stats provided by Bob. It does not appear.
Maybe.  

You also said you were curious about those items, just wasn't sure what you meant there by that, so  I  assumed you wanted to know what they were.
WindCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By WindCloud
@Justin_Credible said:
@WindCloud: Ah. Meant it as I was curious if those were allowed. Miscommunication. :)
No prob.  But yeah, they aren't allowed.  So, did you pick a winner yet ?
WindCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By WindCloud
@Justin_Credible:  But Azazel was fighting real well in the latest X-Men movie, tho'.