• 96 results
Distortion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Distortion

Azathoth stomps. Yog Sothoth would be a better match for Lucifer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb283632dba9
deactivated-5bb283632dba9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Astaroth is not that high ranking of a demon and Lucifer is the big daddy of them all so Lucifer for the win :)

Distortion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Distortion
@fallen reptile said:

Astaroth is not that high ranking of a demon and Lucifer is the big daddy of them all so Lucifer for the win :)

Not Astaroth. Azathoth.
Avatar image for deactivated-5bb283632dba9
deactivated-5bb283632dba9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@Distortion
Oh don't know who Azathoth is. Didn't pay attention to the title of the battle i thought it said Astaroth.
Shaman94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta say my boy Azathoth can take this one. I'm fairly confident the only characters capable of facing him are ones from Lord Of The Rings universe and someone like Galactus.

Avatar image for thegoddamnmasterchief
TheGoddamnMasterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still gonna say Lucifer. I doubt any of the Lovecraftian entities has the power to create a universe...

Azathoth dreamed up the multiverse. Literally. All of creation is his dream. And you don't think he can create a universe? LOL

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shaman94 said:

Gotta say my boy Azathoth can take this one. I'm fairly confident the only characters capable of facing him are ones from Lord Of The Rings universe and someone like Galactus.

you mean eru illuvatar?

Shaman94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chibi_cute: Sure do. Azathoths exact oppisite in every way.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Azathoth.

D3athstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Azathoth is completely omnipotent and all infinity worlds are just little part of his dream only thing he needs to do to win is being conscious because if Lucifer exists he is part of his dream too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc9f423d4bb9
deactivated-5cc9f423d4bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Azathoth is not omnipotent.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc9f423d4bb9
deactivated-5cc9f423d4bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jwwprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@andreysemyonov1337 said:

Azathoth is not omnipotent.

Yes he is and please don't bump threads like this.

BEYONDERGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#64  Edited By BEYONDERGOD

Lucifer wins this power of the sun? i mean from what i heard Azathoth is slow lucifer is smarter.

Vonstantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Vonstantine

Can't Lucifer survive the destruction of a multiverse?

Even when Azathoth does wake up and attempt to erase everything, Lucifer and his relatives can't be affected

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

Azathoth. Mismatch.

D3athstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lucifer is not omnipotent.

ElderSkaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEYONDEEEEEEEERSTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMP

ElderSkaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TonyChu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Azathoth: "You know, I'm omnipotent. I wake up, reality dies."

Lucifer: "WTF? You actually believe words of some nutjob?"

And like all lovecraft stories, Azathoth cannot comprehend himself & goes nuts.

pern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By pern

Azathoth wakes up. Lucifer dies. Even someone like the Nameless Mist or Yog-Sothoth could win this.

Vonstantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Vonstantine

Lucifer is before creation, and a "reverse big-bang" doesn't affect him.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Azathoth.

Avatar image for the_caped_crusader
The_Caped_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mismatch.

bobandjim1260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#75  Edited By bobandjim1260

I hate to be the one to bump this thread, but there is a huge misconception going around several sites in regards to Azathoth. As a studied Lovecraft fan I would like to clear them up. To start, I do not know the full capabilities of DC's Lucifer, so I do not know who wins the battle. First off, if we are exclusively using Lovecraft stories than Azathoth was never described as being infinite or omnipotent. Here are quotes and feats related to Azathoth.

"And at the last from inner Egypt came The strange dark One to whom the fellahs bowed; Silent and lean and cryptically proud, And wrapped in fabrics red as sunset flame.Throngs pressed around, frantic for his commands, But leaving, could not tell what they had heard; While through the nations spread the awestruck word That wild beasts followed him and licked his hands. Soon from the sea a noxious birth began; Forgotten lands with weedy spires of gold; The ground was cleft, and mad auroras rolled Down on the quaking citadels of man. Then, crushing what he chanced to mould in play, The idiot Chaos blew Earth’s dust away." - Fungi from Yuggoth. If we assume the "Idiot Chaos" to be Azathoth, here is a poetic telling of the possibility that he would be able to destroy Earth. (I also want to note that Lovecraft uses many adjectives in his stories to give his creatures "larger than life appearances". Many of these descriptions are ones I do not believe to be taken literally. That being said, that is my personal interpretation, something I will expand upon when I am through.)

"Out in the mindless void the daemon bore me, Past the bright clusters of dimensioned space, Till neither time nor matter stretched before me, But only Chaos, without form or place. Here the vast Lord of All in darkness muttered Things he had dreamed but could not understand, While near him shapeless bat-things flopped and fluttered In idiot vortices that ray-streams fanned. They danced insanely to the high, thin whining Of a cracked flute clutched in a monstrous paw, Whence flow the aimless waves whose chance combining Gives each frail cosmos its eternal law. “I am His Messenger,” the daemon said, As in contempt he struck his Master’s head." - Fungi from Yuggoth This quote appears to be the one where they claim this proves Azathoth's supposed omnipotence. Besides the fact that it is a poem an and that words are used more to convey feelings than actual feats. let's play off this. Past the bright clusters of dimensioned space, till neither time nor matter stretched before me --- This is where Azathoth's throne at the center of all infinity lies. Many times is the word "infinity" tossed around in Lovecraft. Marvel has a bad case of doing this as well, even when beings are in fact not infinite. That being said, going past time-space means you exited the Universe -possibly-. Azathoth is also called the vast lord of all things. As are many gods in their respective universes. However, there is no question that Azathoth is in fact the lord of the Lovecraftian universe. He also gave "through chance combining" each frail cosmos it's eternal law via playing a flute (or however a man of the twentieth century might interpret it). This could be implied to be a multiveral creation, or this could simply be him giving our universe it's eternal laws. It's also implied in later stories that Azathoth is not the only one playing a flute. I also want to note, there is a myth that states if Azathoth stops dreaming the multiverse will be destroyed. Notice how the quote says nothing about the multiverses creation. Nor does it say anything about universal creation. In fact, "Dreamed" is used in past-tense here, implying that the entity is in fact awake. Fungi from Yuggoth is a poem (a beautiful poem depicting the decay and nihilism of everything) written to express ideas and feelings rather than state feats. If you go to read the rest of the poem, you'll understand why some of these "feats" for Azathoth cannot be taken so literally.

"If in our dreamland, it might conceivably be reached, but only three human souls since time began had ever crossed and recrossed the black impious gulfs to other dreamlands, and of that three, two had come back quite mad. There were, in such voyages, incalculable local dangers; as well as that shocking final peril which gibbers unmentionably outside the ordered universe, where no dreams reach; that last amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the centre of all infinity - the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin, monotonous whine of accursed flutes; to which detestable pounding and piping dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic Ultimate gods, the blind, voiceless, tenebrous, mindless Other gods whose soul and messenger is the crawling chaos Nyarlathotep." Dream Quest of the Unknown Kadath.

This is another passage that people attempt to take and use to prove his omnipotence. The word "Boundless" is used to describe Azathoth. Even if taken literally, this is merely meant to say that his rule is boundless. Not that the entity itself has power or being that is boundless. Clearly being stated as the "Lord of all things", it would make sense that his rule is boundless. Although that does not mean he is unopposed, but that discussion is for another time *cough* Yog-sothoth *cough*. It also states that his throne sits outside the ordered universe, is that meant to imply that there is also a disorderly part of the universe? As stated before, a lot that is said about this being, and many Lovecraft beings, is an interpretation that people only support with the vague terms used to describe them. Honestly, a lot of beings from Marvel, by definition of their nature, far exceed Azathoth and Yog-sothoth. The Ultimate gods are the same thing as the Other gods. Again though, it is only interpretation.

That is really all that can be said about Azathoth. There are a few other descriptions of him in a couple other stories, but none of them are really as detailed as this. In "Dreams in the Witch House", the protagonist ( Walter Gilman) seems to look towards a bright star in the sky that is implied to be the Throne of Azathoth, even though it is only ever encountered in his dreams.

""Hei! Aa-shanta 'nygh! You are off! Send back earth's gods to their haunts on unknown Kadath, and pray to all space that you may never meet me in my thousand other forms. Farewell, Randolph Carter, and beware; for I am Nyarlathotep, the Crawling Chaos."

And Randolph Carter, gasping and dizzy on his hideous Shantak, shot screamingly into space toward the cold blue glare of boreal Vega; looking but once behind him at the clustered and chaotic turrets of the onyx nightmare wherein still glowed the lone lurid light of that window above the air and the clouds of earth's dreamland. Great polypous horrors slid darkly past, and unseen bat wings beat multitudinous around him, but still he clung to the unwholesome mane of that loathly and hippocephalic scaled bird. The stars danced mockingly, almost shifting now and then to form pale signs of doom that one might wonder one had not seen and feared before; and ever the winds of nether howled of vague blackness and loneliness beyond the cosmos.

Then through the glittering vault ahead there fell a hush of portent, and all the winds and horrors slunk away as night things slink away before the dawn. Trembling in waves that golden wisps of nebula made weirdly visible, there rose a timid hint of far-off melody, droning in faint chords that our own universe of stars knows not. And as that music grew, the Shantak raised its ears and plunged ahead, and Carter likewise bent to catch each lovely strain. It was a song, but not the song of any voice. Night and the spheres sang it, and it was old when space and Nyarlathotep and the Other Gods were born." Notice how one may be able to pull a contradtion out of this statement. This means to say that space (Granted it does not refer to which one) is of a similar age to all but Azathoth and his song. Azathoth could have very well predated the universe that we know. However I think it would be slightly over-stepping to claim a multi-verse or anything of the sort, let alone omnipotence, but I digress. In the end, it was merely interpretation. I hope this clarifies any misunderstandings people may have originally had. Now to state a couple of things about the Cthulhu mythos in general. One, people do not always go insane when they look at a mythos monster, they merely become over whelmed by the vastness of the scale they operate on in comparison to the size of the universe we originally understood. Randolph Carter is a perfect example of this. I also want to alter users to the fact that the story most people claim gives Yog-sothoth his multi-versal "feat and or abilities" is in the story "Through the Gates of the Silver Key" which was co-written by E. Hoffmann Price. "Lovecraft "kept as many of Price's conceptions as possible, as well as some of his language." Thus many of the central ideas of the story like 'Umr at-Tawil, the talk of mathematical planes and multiple facets of Randolph Carter throughout Time and Space come from Price, who was well read in neoplatonic thought, theosophy and the occult. Even the quote from the Necronomicon is mainly by Price in outline though put in more Lovecraftian language" While I personally think Lovecraft's stories to be better, you could definitely count this as official "canon" if you wish. As all of his works are in the public domain. Yog-Sothoth is an entity that I will tackle when I have more time. I will also tackle the idea between humanity in the mythos, and the mythos creatures minds when compared to our own. You'd be surprised at how alike our minds as systems are. I will leave you guys with one last part that bugs me dearly. Cthulhu was in fact rammed and defeated (temporarily) by the "Alert". Yes the stars were right and no he did not form around it.

"Poor Johansen's handwriting almost gave out when he wrote of this. Of the six men who never reached the ship, he thinks two perished of pure fright in that accursed instant. The Thing cannot be described - there is no language for such abysms of shrieking and immemorial lunacy, such eldritch contradictions of all matter, force, and cosmic order. A mountain walked or stumbled. God! What wonder that across the earth a great architect went mad, and poor Wilcox raved with fever in that telepathic instant? The Thing of the idols, the green, sticky spawn of the stars, had awaked to claim his own. The stars were right again, and what an age-old cult had failed to do by design, a band of innocent sailors had done by accident. After vigintillions of years great Cthulhu was loose again, and ravening for delight." I want to remake on that number, as it is used to try and convey something that's really old while not actually stating the truth. As it completely contradicts earlier statements in this story, and the records of the Elder Things. This once again proving that aliens are just not something these sailors can really understand.

" Three men were swept up by the flabby claws before anybody turned. God rest them, if there be any rest in the universe. They were Donovan, Guerrera, and Angstrom. Parker slipped as the other three were plunging frenziedly over endless vistas of green-crusted rock to the boat, and Johansen swears he was swallowed up by an angle of masonry which shouldn't have been there; an angle which was acute, but behaved as if it were obtuse. So only Briden and Johansen reached the boat, and pulled desperately for the Alert as the mountainous monstrosity flopped down the slimy stones and hesitated, floundering at the edge of the water.

Steam had not been suffered to go down entirely, despite the departure of all hands for the shore; and it was the work of only a few moments of feverish rushing up and down between wheel and engines to get the Alert under way. Slowly, amidst the distorted horrors of that indescribable scene, she began to churn the lethal waters; whilst on the masonry of that charnel shore that was not of earth the titan Thing from the stars slavered and gibbered like Polypheme cursing the fleeing ship of Odysseus. Then, bolder than the storied Cyclops, great Cthulhu slid greasily into the water and began to pursue with vast wave-raising strokes of cosmic potency. Briden looked back and went mad, laughing shrilly as he kept on laughing at intervals till death found him one night in the cabin whilst Johansen was wandering deliriously.

But Johansen had not given out yet. Knowing that the Thing could surely overtake the Alert until steam was fully up, he resolved on a desperate chance; and, setting the engine for full speed, ran lightning-like on deck and reversed the wheel. There was a mighty eddying and foaming in the noisome brine, and as the steam mounted higher and higher the brave Norwegian drove his vessel head on against the pursuing jelly which rose above the unclean froth like the stern of a daemon galleon. The awful squid-head with writhing feelers came nearly up to the bowsprit of the sturdy yacht, but johansen drove on relentlessly. There was a bursting as of an exploding bladder, a slushy nastiness as of a cloven sunfish, a stench as of a thousand opened graves, and a sound that the chronicler could not put on paper. For an instant the ship was befouled by an acrid and blinding green cloud, and then there was only a venomous seething astern; where - God in heaven! - the scattered plasticity of that nameless sky-spawn was nebulously recombining in its hateful original form, whilst its distance widened every second as the Alert gained impetus from its mounting steam." Both of the quotes are from the Call of Cthulhu.

Johansen, btw, was implied to have been murdered by the cult ("dockside accident'). He did not commit suicide.

I will finish by saying that as amazing as Lovecraft's stories are, we need to take into consideration they way they are written and why they are written. Comics and Lovecraft portray humanity in different lights. sometimes they complement each other, other times they are completely opposite. In the end, when t comes to feats from Lovecratian beings *based on what Lovecraft wrote* it is all a matter of interpretation.

DevilGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Azathoth men, Morningstar has nothing on ma boy Aza

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Azathoth men, Morningstar has nothing on ma boy Aza

lol you were just saying Azathoth is a single universe entity while Vishnu was multiversal. Lucifer is also multiversal

DevilGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By DevilGamer

@zetsumoto: I like Aza more men LOL, plus Aza created our universe by accident thats enough for me to think that he mops the floor with Luci

drudged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By drudged

I want to say Lucifer Morningstar, because he almost always wins...

....except a few battles like this though. Based on feats, I can't see how Lucy can beat Azathoth.

You should make Azathoth pick on beings his own size, like the Great Evil Beast instead.

EDIT: I actually reviewed the feats of GEB and Azathoth, and even GEB will probably get squashed. Azathoth might fall under those omnipotent beings that will be a headache to discuss along with a PR Beyonder type character.

Mad_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Azathoth one shots . He is true omnipotent .

higherpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#82 higherpower  Moderator

@mad_jim said:

Azathoth one shots . He is true omnipotent .

higherpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#83 higherpower  Moderator

closer match would be Nyarlathotep or Yog Sohoth

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Azathoth is omnipotent, or at least nigh-omnipotent.

Honestly, one of this two "sons" would probably be a better contender for fighting Lucifer.

ImMafia-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollfmyth209: Lucifer is nigh omnipotent.His power is Gods will.He can shape anything in existence and manipulate basically he is a reality warper at the highest tier.He is outside of creation and was created outside of creation along with micheal .He created all the suns in the dc universe and vertigo and his own personal creation.He is low tier omniversal he is omnipotent with micheal alongside him.

kilgpmktra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollfmyth209: Lucifer is nigh omnipotent.His power is Gods will.He can shape anything in existence and manipulate basically he is a reality warper at the highest tier.He is outside of creation and was created outside of creation along with micheal .He created all the suns in the dc universe and vertigo and his own personal creation.He is low tier omniversal he is omnipotent with micheal alongside him.

No. That's not how Omnipotence works

Unlimited1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their is no character in DC/MARVEL that can beat Azathoth.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@immafia-_-: I am aware of everything Lucifer can do.

Azathoth is still better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e83bb0dbb5
deactivated-5e0e83bb0dbb5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Leviathan from Vertigo is like Azathoth on steroids with far better feats. Dream is above the Leviathan, and he is below Lucifer. Lucifer wins.

Avatar image for deactivated-63a599f1d59e7
deactivated-63a599f1d59e7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^this plus azanoth was already stated to be an aspect of dream so...

Avatar image for deactivated-621c40d36c53f
deactivated-621c40d36c53f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we can just out of our asses, assume that the physics that Azathoth creates includes infinitely/instantly creating Multiverses, even if it was written decades before it was a thing.

then we can also assume that the Azathoth that Dream of the Endless forms as narratives/stories, is as strong as Azathoth in the OG.

Avatar image for deactivated-61364388226ff
deactivated-61364388226ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dream of the Endless create Azathoth? o.O

Zawarudo9001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL the Lucifer wank here is just way too much, he isn't even Omnipotent to begin with and Azathoth will curbstomp him without even waking up. Spite.

Nashiruu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5f07824e0850d
deactivated-5f07824e0850d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jim_Moriarty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Azathoth one shots in it's dreams lol. DC wankers are killing me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5be9e305ddd
deactivated-5f5be9e305ddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

azathoth wins ez claps

Avatar image for deactivated-6108c6c162ecc
deactivated-6108c6c162ecc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is Azathoth formless like the presence? Azathoth is prob considered omnipotent due to not having an actual form. ( or the fact everything is his dream in the lovecraft universe). Lucifer wins with any other version of azathoth being used(like demonbane)

Avatar image for deactivated-603822aa75918
deactivated-603822aa75918

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nashiruu: Azathoth isn’t omnipotent, but anyone who isn’t beyond existence can’t beat him. Something like the creator from umineko can.