User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By tparks

Astounding Wolf-Man

No Caption Provided

VS

Harry Dresden

No Caption Provided

Rules

• Novel and comic Harry, not the dumb show. Pre-Winter Magic.
  • Both get 3 hours prep. Harry in his apartment, Wolf-Man with the Guardians of the Globe. They can use help for prep, but the fight takes place one on one.
  • Harry can't use an object like a stuffed animal as a voodoo doll.
  • Win by death, KO, or incap.
  • They have general knowledge on each other. As in one is a wizard, and one is a werewolf.
  • Fight takes place in the woods at night.
tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Bump.

Here's some Dresden info. I'm in the process of making scans from the novels and comics, but this can get you a general idea:

http://factpile.wikia.com/wiki/Harry_Dresden

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@tparks: From what i read, Wolf man.

Seidmadr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

3 hours prep? That could be enough to brew up a potion...

Anyhow, when in the series is Harry from? He changes quite a lot from Storm Front to Skin Game...

If we talk current Dresden, there are few street level fighters he can't defeat. Weather first attack on shield, respond with an energy blast like the one he used at his old apartment building in Changes, or like what he used against Sharkface in Mac's place in Cold Days... And most anything that can take damage will be either cut in half by a heat-beam, or completely incinerated.

Also, if we look at his fight against the commando ghouls in Skin Game, we see that he has also grown pretty good at battlefield control. How would the Wolf-Man handle it if all the ground was covered in a layer of ice. (Which reminds me, at what time of year is this fight? Sight lines vary greatly in forests comparing summer and winter. Also, what kind of forest?)

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

@seidmadr: Ice ground? Wolf man uses his claws to traverse then.

Truth is I am not seeing Dresden from these feats putting Wolf Man down. the guy tank far worse what you stated.

Seidmadr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. That's kinda part of the point, he would have to use his claws to traverse it.

Also... Wolf man tanks far worse than this?

I hadn’t used much fire magic lately, obviously. You don’t go messing around conjuring up flame when you’re at the heart of Winter. There are things there that hate that action. But fire magic has always been my strongest suit. It was the first fully realized spell I ever mastered, and on a good day I could hang around in the same general league as any other wizard in the world when it came to fire magic.

On top of that, I tapped into the latent energy a particularly meddlesome angel had bestowed upon me whether I wanted it or not—an ancient source of the very energy of Creation itself known as soulfire. Soulfire was never meant for battle—but its presence could infuse my battle spells with significant energy and momentum, making them far more difficult to counter. I had to be careful with it—burn too much in too short a time and it would kill me. But if I didn’t live to walk out of the pub, it wouldn’t matter how much soulfire I had stored up for a rainy day.

I expected a roar of flame, a flash of white and gold light, the concussion of superheated air suddenly expanding, right in Sharkface’s ugly mug.

What I got was an arctic-gale howl and a spiraling harpoon of blue-white fire burning hotter than anything this side of a star.

Sharkface hurled furniture at me, trying to shelter behind it, but the fire I’d just called vaporized chairs and tables in the instant it touched them. They shattered with enormous, screaming detonations of thunder, and every impact made sounds that by all rights should have belonged to extremely large and poorly handled construction vehicles.

That is what happens when you fuse Soulfire and Winter magic with a fire blast.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seidmadr: Side of a star is cool, but its not hot as a star.

No Caption Provided

Meet the Face. This guy is basically like Clyclopes, only we see his blasts are powerful enough to KO one of the super human cape's, as they are called, in one shot.

The Face when enraged at Wolf Man blasts him full force, only for Wolf Man to bounce right back. However this is not Wolf Man's best feat with energy attacks.

Meet Red Eye. Red Eye as seen has insane powerful blasts. His Blasts vaporized matter, like the whole of this car. It disintegrates humans on hit. This is the level of power of these beams.

No Caption Provided

As seen Wolf Man takes a full blast in the gut. His partner, another super human being with durability was vaporized. Red Eye even comments on Wolf Man's durability to taking the hit. Now your thinking, "well he still went down." Then I would reply there is context here not mention yet. Not only Wolf Man tank this attack, he did so during the day, when his powers are at their weakest! By alot! As seen in the next scan what happen when moonlight touches Wolf Man again at night.

No Caption Provided

He asks the kid to get some moonlight in the cell, he needs moonlight of any kind, whether New Moon, Full Moon, or any in between to maintain his wolf powers. Once exposed to the light, he fully is able to recover, rip through the steel holdings, and get back into the fight.

I think Wolf Man can can tank it by feats.... or dodge it.

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@tparks: Does Harry have access to Bob for his prep?

Seidmadr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: Yeah.. Those blasts are significantly weaker than the winter-fire Harry threw. Hell, that woman left a skeleton. I repeat: It caused wood to explode the moment it touched the fire blast.

And yeah, he could perhaps dodge it, which is why I, in my first post, mentioned the method Harry would most likely use against a being like Wolf Man: Let it slam against his shield, fry when dazed. It's something he does all the time, after all...

@wyldsong: I think it'd depend on when this is. If it is current Harry, all he'd have is an army of pixie spies to use.

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wyldsong

@seidmadr said:

@sirfizzwhizz: Yeah.. Those blasts are significantly weaker than the winter-fire Harry threw. Hell, that woman left a skeleton. I repeat: It caused wood to explode the moment it touched the fire blast.

And yeah, he could perhaps dodge it, which is why I, in my first post, mentioned the method Harry would most likely use against a being like Wolf Man: Let it slam against his shield, fry when dazed. It's something he does all the time, after all...

@wyldsong: I think it'd depend on when this is. If it is current Harry, all he'd have is an army of pixie spies to use.

Current Harry also has access to another intellect spirit in the form of his "daughter" (can't remember which novel she was "born" in, though she is lacking in feats). Still, the OP said he could use help, and it's not like Harry can't reach Butter's to use Bob. Plus there is also demon summoning to gather intel.

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thinking about it, I'd back Harry with prep. He is beastly with it, and is pretty bad arse at improvisation on the fly. If he can access Bob with is prep, them it leans even more in his favor.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seidmadr: Thos blast left no skeleton lol. There was black ash where she was and vaporizing a car is far better than wooden furniture. so....

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Wyldsong

@sirfizzwhizz said:

@seidmadr: Thos blast left no skeleton lol. There was black ash where she was and vaporizing a car is far better than wooden furniture. so....

It really depends on how much he decides to increase it, so that wasn't at max. He can enhance all of his magic's with winter or soul powers (or both) to varying degrees. Plus the blasting isn't his only option. He has access to a wide array of stuff with his prep.

Seidmadr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It ripped the car apart. You see the shrapnel flying. There's quite obviously a skeleton in the middle of the energy blast when he fries the woman.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seidmadr: Sigh...

The limo shows shrapnel, so what? Its still disintegrated the whole middle. The woman has no skelleton, she broke down to ash on the next panel. Then there is these two feats too.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Here go two more examples of straight fire having no effect on Wolf Man in a burning building, nor the heat of a furnace in Wolf Man's face.

I Disagree with ya on what you showed is better.

Seidmadr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: How the blazes do you expect me to know what happens in the next panel if you don't show me the next panel?

And... runs through a burning building? I'm not impressed.

Also, could you show what kind of damage fire-from-palms guy does?

But sure, if you aren't impressed with fire, we'll go ice.

I lifted my right arm, the side that projects energy, focused my will, and shouted, “Infriga!”

There was a flash of light, an arctic howl, a scream of air suddenly condensed into liquid, and an explosion of frost and fog centered upon the ogre. The air became a solid fog bank, a rolling mist, and for several seconds there was silence. I waited for the mist to disperse, and after several long seconds it began to clear away, swept along by the remnants of the gale I had called first.

When it cleared, the entire Winter Court could see the ogre, standing crouched just as it had been when I threw the spell at it.

I waited for a moment more, letting everyone see the ogre standing absolutely still in defiance of Mab’s law.

Then I drew forth my will again, extended my hand, and snarled, “Forzare!” A lance of invisible power lashed out at the ogre—and when it struck, the frozen monster shattered into thousands of icy chunks, the largest of which was about the size of my fist.

The bits of the former ogre exploded over several hundred square yards of the dance floor, and grisly frozen shrapnel pelted the watching Sidhe and sent them reeling back with shouts of alarm. The Sidhe gathered themselves again, and every one of those bright eyes locked onto me, their expressions alien, unreadable.

And a little later...

One of the Sidhe smirked and stepped forward, his leather pants creaking. He opened his mouth, his expression condescending. “Mortal, do you actually think that you can—”

“Infriga!” I snarled, unleashing Winter again, and without waiting for the cloud to clear, hurled the second strike, shouting, “Forzare!”

This time I aimed much of the force up. Grisly bits of frozen Sidhe noble came pattering and clattering down to the ice of the dance floor.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wyldsong said:

@tparks: Does Harry have access to Bob for his prep?

Yes. It generally takes him 2 hours to brew a potion with Bob, so I thought giving three would help even the odds.

I see Astounding Wolf-Man and the Loup-Garou from Fool Moon as pretty similar, and there fight was a pretty entertaining read.

Seidmadr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: Yeah, but from when is this Harry?

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seidmadr: To make this similar to Fool Moon, where a Loup-Garou was a serious challenge for him, with or without prep, let's call this pre-Winter Magic Harry. I'll edit the OP to reflect this.

Seidmadr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: Then he can't do it. The only reason Dresden killed McFinn was because of McFinn's weakness to inherited silver.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tparks

@seidmadr: Maybe. He never had prep facing the Loup-Garou though, and he had been beaten to a bloody pulp, shot in the shoulder just before taking it on, and expended nearly his entirety of magical reserves before facing it. He could barely even stand without passing out. Coming in fresh, with prep, makes this a very different scenario. The Loup-Garou was arguably more durable then Astounding Wolf-Man too, as he took entire magazines of bullets to the face from point-blank range without it even phasing the wolf. He also took several inherited silver bullets from Murphy that didn't really slow it down much at all. It surprised it, which saved their lives, but then it went on to slaughter the entire police force. Astounding Wolf-Man could re-create these feats, but Harry himself says that he was confident he would beat the Loup-Garou in a re-match if he was at full strength and had a chance to prepare himself, and Harry ended up showing some serious power even while hindered, as he blasted the wolf through three brick walls, across the block, through the next building, and then across the block again through another building all with one shot, and while he was weakened. This is all against a creature that is normally immune to magic as Bob stated.

I still think this would be a good fight, as Harry is at full strength (which is hardly ever seen cause he is normally tired, battered, and bloody), and he has prep.

Seidmadr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: Sure, it'd be an amazing fight, but.. eh.. fire and energy blasts are something super-hero style characters have extreme resistance to, because it's something cool, but doesn't need to look lethal.

Harry's freeze attacks might be what's needed to win here, and he doesn't get those until after he got the Winter Knight gig.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By tparks

@seidmadr: Fair enough. I agree his outright fire and physical attacks would only be used to weaken it and protect himself. I was thinking his prep could lead to more exotic methods of winning, like trapping AWM in a circle or something, although that's easier said then done.

Seidmadr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: The reason McFinn could be caught in a circle is that he was bound to a demon. Dresden hasn't yet learned how to bind completely corporeal entities.

I mean, Harry could shut him down with a thaumaturgical effect, but that'd require a link. Hmm. That reminds me however, Harry HAS access to a bunch of invisible, super-fast minions. In what kind of a place does Wolf Man live?

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seidmadr: I thought he said in Fool Moon, that he could create three interlocking circles, one that would contain demons and other supernatural beings, one to contain corporeal beings, and one to contain something that is neither one or the other, which is a Loup-Garou. He didn't know what it was when he was looking at it, but he discovered it later, and told Tera West that he could contain him with this. Maybe I'm mixed up somewhere, but I thought that's what he was getting at. I thought he normally only makes circles that contains demons, because he doesn't have a need or want to contain normal people. I think that was the point of the three interlocking circles, as if he only contained the demon curse of the Loup-Garou, the human side of McFin would just break the circle, and vice-versa if he did it the other way, but with all three rings interlocking, it would contain a being like a Loup-Garou.

To your question: he lives in the Image shared universe, but he basically only interacts with the Skybound imprint characters from the Invincible book.

Seidmadr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: Yeah, he could replicate the specific circle for binding McFinn, but we haven't seen him binding anything else that's non-spiritual.

Also, I didn't mean in what 'verse, but in what kind of a building. Does he live on his own? With a bunch of others? In his car?

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tparks

@seidmadr: I'm not sure where he currently lives, because he's seen with the Guardians of the Globe quite a bit now, which might mean he lives with them. At the end of his series, he was living in his mansion with a bunch of werewolves that he was training.

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks said:

@seidmadr: To make this similar to Fool Moon, where a Loup-Garou was a serious challenge for him, with or without prep, let's call this pre-Winter Magic Harry. I'll edit the OP to reflect this.

Fool Moon Harry would be a good and pretty close fight. The prep time for Harry kind of edges the win to him in the end I think.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seidmadr: @tparks: Wolf Man lives on the go with the entire werewolf army called the Wolf Corps.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wyldsong: Ya, I don't think he'd stand a chance without prep. He would put up somewhat of a fight, but never pull out a win.

Seidmadr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: If he doesn't live in a proper home, there is a huge risk that he doesn't have the protection of a threshold, which means the 'za lord's guard can sweep in and grab some hair, or a dirty pair of underwear or something like that, and return with it to Harry, and with something like that, and three hours (minus the minutes the pixies need) Harry can shut Wolf Man down. HARD.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks said:

@wyldsong: Ya, I don't think he'd stand a chance without prep. He would put up somewhat of a fight, but never pull out a win.

I agree. Without prep, he could put up a decent fight, but would eventually go down for the count. Harry in the later books might be able to pull it off without prep depending on his gear.

Gaztacular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Gaztacular

Harry wins. This is what cinches it. "Both get 3 hours prep. Harry in his apartment, Wolf-Man with the Guardians of the Globe. They can use help for prep, but the fight takes place one on one."

Three hours is more than enough time for Harry to call in Toot Toot and co to snatch some thaumaturgical links to Gary. A little advice from Bob in preparing the spell and then it's over the second it begins. Fight starts, Harry triggers the enchantment, Wolfman gets shut down, and Dresden one-liner for the win. Not really that exciting, but probably how it'd go down.