#1  Edited By shenron

shenron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By shenron

Being the Lord of the Rings fan I am, I really don't think Aslan could beat Gandalf. Though from what I've heard

Aslan gets really powerful.

heymanjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By heymanjack

ASLAO!

shenron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By shenron

Aslan You cannot pass Darn you Gandalf...noo!

shenron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By shenron

This is what happens when Aslan fights Gandalf the White

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By ShootingNova

@shenron said:

Aslan You cannot pass Darn you Gandalf...noo!

............................?

Bo88gdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bo88gdan

Gandalf the aslan wins :D They are Both Awesome.Gandalf the WHite wins ! 

kingkronos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kingkronos

Aslan wins easily. He's closer to Eru Illuvatar than to Gandalf or even the Valar.

shenron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By shenron

White Staff Ring of Fire one of the most powerful of the wight counsel Glamdring (Gandalf can beat Balrogs in his weaker form) and is more powerful than Sauroman in his wight form...On his return, Gandalf the White carried a white staff. Whether it was bestowed or made by Gandalf himself was unknown. Unlike the spike staff, it had a fluid flow and design which echoed the beauty and mystique of Lothlorien. It had an Elven rune for 'G' carved into it. This staff served the same function as the old. It also proclaimed to all that Gandalf was now the head of the Istari and Maiar

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10  Edited By owie  Moderator

Interesting that the majority of votes are for Aslan, but the majority of comments are for Gandalf.

I have to go for Aslan here.  His upper limit wasn't really tested, but he seemingly had fairly large pools of power.  For instance in the Magician's Nephew he creates a newworld, as I recall. It might be the Emperor over the Sea that does that, but I think it's Aslan making the song that brings things into being.

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By agent9149

Aslan the Jesus figure takes this

@Owie said:

Interesting that the majority of votes are for Aslan, but the majority of comments are for Gandalf. I have to go for Aslan here. His upper limit wasn't really tested, but he seemingly had fairly large pools of power. For instance in the Magician's Nephew he creates a newworld, as I recall. It might be the Emperor over the Sea that does that, but I think it's Aslan making the song that brings things into being.

don't forget he's the son of the emperor over the sea

greenteaforme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By greenteaforme

So, I know a lot of the "feats" associated with the wizards are out of lore other than the three main books, and a lot of other readings. And I can't remember anything specific, as I read the novels when I was about 12, but...

Gandalf's greatest feat in the movies was using his stick as a flashlight to spooky away from flying geckos.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By owie  Moderator
@Agent9149 said:

Aslan the Jesus figure takes this

@Owie said:

Interesting that the majority of votes are for Aslan, but the majority of comments are for Gandalf. I have to go for Aslan here. His upper limit wasn't really tested, but he seemingly had fairly large pools of power. For instance in the Magician's Nephew he creates a newworld, as I recall. It might be the Emperor over the Sea that does that, but I think it's Aslan making the song that brings things into being.

don't forget he's the son of the emperor over the sea

Yeah I know.  I'm just trying to remember which one is singing the song.  But in any case Aslan is a metaphoric stand-in for Christ, and Gandalf (as a maiar) is a metaphoric stand-in for an angel, so Aslan's power is likely supposed to be higher.
agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By agent9149

@Owie: ahh yes...i was going to do a metaphor and compare aslan the jesus and gandalf is the ____ figue but i couldn't put a name to what I was trying to describe, angel describes it well

@greenteaforme: His greatest feat was defeating the balrog

greenteaforme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By greenteaforme

@Agent9149 said:

@Owie: ahh yes...i was going to do a metaphor and compare aslan the jesus and gandalf is the ____ figue but i couldn't put a name to what I was trying to describe, angel describes it well

@greenteaforme: His greatest feat was defeating the balrog

How is this a feat?

I mean, I guess...it's impressive...but he didn't actually do anything, if you know what I mean.

I know within lore the Balrog is strong, but it doesn't do anything, either. Just swing around its whips and whatnot. And all he does is stab the damn thing in the throat, and it falls down instantly.

I'm not impressed.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shawnbaby

The Jesus Lion Wins

shenron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By shenron

Gandalf has his similarities with Jesus you know. He goes threw a self sacrifice to save his friends and humanity. Gandalf is then goes through a Resurrection and becomes Gandalf the Whight the more divine version of Grey.

Jesus in after his self sacrifice to save the human race is ressurected then becomes the more angelic and divine Jesus.

Laurcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Laurcus

What feats does Aslan have? Gandalf is a Maia, one of the original 14 created by the Valar. He is, by all accounts, the second strongest of the Maiar. He helped create the world, and could likely destroy it if he wished, considering other Maiar and some of the weaker Valar were responsible for creating large aspects of existence.

Keep in mind, every feat for Gandalf in the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, (both books and movies) is only a small fraction of what he's capable of. When Gandalf was sent to Middle Earth in the First Age of the Years of the Sun he was told by his father, Eru, that he's forbidden from using his full powers in his war against Sauron, and he must endeavor to solve any problems without magic if at all possible.

Also note that the Balrog is the same species as Gandalf. The difference is that the Balrog was one of the hundreds of lesser Maiar created after Arda and the universe was made, while Gandalf was one of the original, who only increased in power as time went on.

MasterJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MasterJohn

Aslan stands no chance! Gandalf could use blinding light on him, and the use Fire to burn him to a crisp. Gandalf takes this.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By owie  Moderator
@Laurcus said:

What feats does Aslan have? Gandalf is a Maia, one of the original 14 created by the Valar. He is, by all accounts, the second strongest of the Maiar. He helped create the world, and could likely destroy it if he wished, considering other Maiar and some of the weaker Valar were responsible for creating large aspects of existence.

Keep in mind, every feat for Gandalf in the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, (both books and movies) is only a small fraction of what he's capable of. When Gandalf was sent to Middle Earth in the First Age of the Years of the Sun he was told by his father, Eru, that he's forbidden from using his full powers in his war against Sauron, and he must endeavor to solve any problems without magic if at all possible.

Also note that the Balrog is the same species as Gandalf. The difference is that the Balrog was one of the hundreds of lesser Maiar created after Arda and the universe was made, while Gandalf was one of the original, who only increased in power as time went on.

As I pointed out above (and now checked to make sure), Aslan's greatest feat was creating Narnia (solo).  Whereas the degree to which Gandalf helped create Middle Earth was minor: it was mostly Eru Iluvatar, with help from the Valar, and minor tweaks by the maiar.  Gandalf's hierarchy in the power of the maiar is unclear; certainly Sauron was more powerful, and it's unclear what his position is in regards to any others.  He himself says, when talking about what he suspects lies under Moria, that against some things he has not been tested--he had no confidence that he would win.  He did win, but not by so much that other Balrogs such as Gothmog might not be more powerful than him.
justleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By justleader

Aslan

Avatar image for zorn_a_rust_red_scythe
Zorn_a_Rust_Red_Scythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aslan. Lions eat humans.

Laurcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Laurcus

@Owie said:

@Laurcus said:

As I pointed out above (and now checked to make sure), Aslan's greatest feat was creating Narnia (solo). Whereas the degree to which Gandalf helped create Middle Earth was minor: it was mostly Eru Iluvatar, with help from the Valar, and minor tweaks by the maiar. Gandalf's hierarchy in the power of the maiar is unclear; certainly Sauron was more powerful, and it's unclear what his position is in regards to any others. He himself says, when talking about what he suspects lies under Moria, that against some things he has not been tested--he had no confidence that he would win. He did win, but not by so much that other Balrogs such as Gothmog might not be more powerful than him.

Actually, Gandalf wasn't even trying against the Balrog of Morgoth when he fought him in Moria. No feats or statements about Gandalf's power while he was on Middle Earth are valid as establishing a floor for his powers. The Silmarillion is the only valid source for that, since Gandalf never broke his promise to Eru.

Aside from creation, Aslan seems pretty featless. With Gandalf we at least can compare him to some of the other combat feats of the Maiar, like knowing he is always better than Balrogs in every way since he was one of the original 14, and evil weakens over time in Lord of the Rings.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By owie  Moderator

@Laurcus said:

@Owie said:

@Laurcus said:

As I pointed out above (and now checked to make sure), Aslan's greatest feat was creating Narnia (solo). Whereas the degree to which Gandalf helped create Middle Earth was minor: it was mostly Eru Iluvatar, with help from the Valar, and minor tweaks by the maiar. Gandalf's hierarchy in the power of the maiar is unclear; certainly Sauron was more powerful, and it's unclear what his position is in regards to any others. He himself says, when talking about what he suspects lies under Moria, that against some things he has not been tested--he had no confidence that he would win. He did win, but not by so much that other Balrogs such as Gothmog might not be more powerful than him.

Actually, Gandalf wasn't even trying against the Balrog of Morgoth when he fought him in Moria. No feats or statements about Gandalf's power while he was on Middle Earth are valid as establishing a floor for his powers. The Silmarillion is the only valid source for that, since Gandalf never broke his promise to Eru.

Aside from creation, Aslan seems pretty featless. With Gandalf we at least can compare him to some of the other combat feats of the Maiar, like knowing he is always better than Balrogs in every way since he was one of the original 14, and evil weakens over time in Lord of the Rings.

Where exactly do you get the idea that he wasn't trying against the balrog in Moria? When he first feels it, and tries to lock it in using a spell, he says "I have never felt such a challenge. The counter spell was terrible. It nearly broke me." Then later, when they were fighting alone, clearly it was a long and difficult battle, one he said would have been sung about long after if anyone had seen it, and in the end he basically died and was reborn.

Have any citations to back up the assertion that evil weakens over time in LOTR?

Aslan did do battle in various situations, but generally he never had to exert himself much, so they are unimpressive feats in the sense that he won too easily. But creating a world is still a far greater feat than anything Gandalf ever did. Plus again let's look at their metaphoric sources, Jesus vs an angel. That's a pretty extensive power differential. We could always say, Christ has no real battle feats in the bible, while angels are often seen battling demons and whatnot, so angels could beat Jesus. But that would ignore their obvious place in the celestial hierarchy.

Laurcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Laurcus

@Owie said:

@Laurcus said:

@Owie said:

@Laurcus said:

Where exactly do you get the idea that he wasn't trying against the balrog in Moria? When he first feels it, and tries to lock it in using a spell, he says "I have never felt such a challenge. The counter spell was terrible. It nearly broke me." Then later, when they were fighting alone, clearly it was a long and difficult battle, one he said would have been sung about long after if anyone had seen it, and in the end he basically died and was reborn.

Have any citations to back up the assertion that evil weakens over time in LOTR?

Aslan did do battle in various situations, but generally he never had to exert himself much, so they are unimpressive feats in the sense that he won too easily. But creating a world is still a far greater feat than anything Gandalf ever did. Plus again let's look at their metaphoric sources, Jesus vs an angel. That's a pretty extensive power differential. We could always say, Christ has no real battle feats in the bible, while angels are often seen battling demons and whatnot, so angels could beat Jesus. But that would ignore their obvious place in the celestial hierarchy.

First off, Gandalf the Grey didn't even have access to his original powers. He may have given it his all in that form, which would have still kept his promise to Eru to not use his true powers. So it's really a moot point.

The thing about evil weakening over time has been stated a few times by Tolkien in interviews. I don't have any source on me sadly, the closest thing I have to that is Sauron's section of the Lord of the Rings wiki, where it talks about the philosophy behind his character. http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Sauron#Weapons_and_Powers If you want more than that, you're gonna have to go find it, because I'm too lazy to look that up.

Anywho, I don't really think a metaphorical comparison is the best way to determine who wins a fight. And it's difficult to tell if Aslan can destroy as well as he creates without seeing it for ourselves.

And Jesus totally has battle feats btw. Book of Revelation. Because you don't mess with a guy that kills people with a flaming sword from his mouth.

shenron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shenron

Aslan is tough and can claw all. things to h@#$% Nobel as he is Strong and he is Divine _______________ much...

Their is not much of a chance , ok they could last a while in a fight

only for a while... until Gandalf Makes sure Aslan Cannot Pass!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for thegodofthunder
TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheGodofThunder

Aslan is God. How can he lose?

shenron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By shenron

Aslan is a Narnian god, how The White Whitch beat him

and he abandoned his people for 1300 years or so

even if Gandalf would die He would make sure Aslan woundn't go down with him

X_insignia1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By X_insignia1

Aslan..

cuddles666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cuddles666

Aslan wins, but he's still a pussy.

shenron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By shenron

Aslan is Narnian god. That could mean STUPID cala f@$! licious expe aladocious in Middle Earth Speak

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By ShootingNova

People's incessant and unnecessary fanwank of LOTR characters needs to stop.

Zoren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aslan

ImperiexSeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aslan would beat Gandalf effortlessly. Aslan could obliterate him in an attosecond, or speak him out of existence. Gandalf was very strong, but just not as strong as Aslan. Aslan was the son of the Emperor, holding absolute power and authority over everything, while Gandalf had limitations to his power.

Combatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aslan