Hermoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hermoor

Ares vs Tyr

Both are god of wars, Ares is the god of war in the greek pantheon and Tyr is the god of war in the norse pantheon. The battle takes place on the Himalayan mountains. There is no interference from other gods, only these two giants are fighting eachother. They are allowed to use all their power in battle.

Tyr

According to the Poetic Edda and Prose Edda, at one stage the gods decided to shackle the Fenris wolf (Fenrir), but the beast broke every chain they put upon him. Eventually they had thedwarves make them a magical ribbon called Gleipnir. It appeared to be only a silken ribbon but was made of six wondrous ingredients: the sound of a cat's footfall, the beard of a woman, the roots of a mountain, bear's sinews (meaning nerves, sensibility), fish's breath and bird's spittle. The creation of Gleipnir is said to be the reason why none of the above exist. Fenrir sensed the gods' deceit and refused to be bound with it unless one of them put his hand in the wolf's mouth.

Tyr, known for his great wisdom and courage, agreed, and the other gods bound the wolf. After Fenrir had been bound by the gods, he struggled to try and break the rope. When the gods saw that Fenrir was bound they all rejoiced, except Tyr, who had his right hand bitten off by the wolf. Fenrir will remain bound until the day of Ragnarök. As a result of this deed, Tyr is called the "Leavings of the Wolf"; which is to be understood as a poetic kenning for glory.

According to the Prose version of Ragnarok, Tyr is destined to kill and be killed by Garm, the guard dog of Hel. However, in the two poetic versions of Ragnarok, he goes unmentioned; unless one believes that he is the "Mighty One".

In Lokasenna, Tyr is taunted with cuckoldry by Loki, maybe another hint that he had a consort or wife at one time.

In the Hymskvidha, Tyr's father is named as the etin Hymir – the term "Hymir's kin" was used a kenning for etinkind – while his mother goes unnamed, but is otherwise described in terms that befit a goddess. This myth also pairs Tyr with Thor, and draws a comparison between their strength via the lifting of Hymir's cauldron. Thor proves the stronger, but other than Thor's own son, Magni, Tyr is the only deity whose strength is ever questioned in comparison to the Thunderer's.

Ares

Ares was one of the Twelve Olympians in the archaic tradition represented by the Iliad and Odyssey, but Zeus expresses a recurring Greek revulsion toward the god when Ares returns wounded and complaining from the battlefield at Troy:

Then looking at him darkly Zeus who gathers the clouds spoke to him:
'Do not sit beside me and whine, you double-faced liar.
To me you are the most hateful of all gods who hold Olympos.
Forever quarrelling is dear to your heart, wars and battles.

And yet I will not long endure to see you in pain, since
you are my child, and it was to me that your mother bore you.
But were you born of some other god and proved so ruinous
long since you would have been dropped beneath the gods of the bright sky."

This ambivalence is expressed also in the god's association with the Thracians, who were regarded by the Greeks as a barbarous and warlike people. Thrace was Ares' birthplace, true home, and refuge after the affair with Aphrodite was exposed to the general mockery of the other gods.

A late 6th-century BC funerary inscription from Attica emphasizes the consequences of coming under Ares' sway:

Stay and mourn at the tomb of dead Kroisos
Whom raging Ares destroyed one day, fighting in the foremost ranks.

In Macedonia, however, he was viewed as a bearded war veteran with superb military skills and physical strength. The ancient Macedonianslooked up to Ares as a divine leader as well as a god. In Sparta Ares was viewed as a masculine soldier in which his resilience, physical strength and military intelligence was unrivaled.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ShootingNova

So I'm assuming that you're using their mythical variants?

In swordsmanship, Tyr has superiority. However, with any other weapon, Ares has him. Ares has superior strength, while not much is known about their speed. In terms of durability, Ares is superior. In terms of magical destructive capabilities, Ares again, because Tyr has shown no magical proficiency. Ares is actually quite lacking in that area as well, but better than Tyr.

Ares should win overall.

TERMINATORXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TERMINATORXX

Ares

I'm suprised only 2 people have posted in this 9 month old thread.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ShootingNova

@TERMINATORXX said:

Ares

I'm suprised only 2 people have posted in this 9 month old thread.

Because few people knew the combatants?

Bo88gdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bo88gdan

Ares wins 

kingkronos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kingkronos

Ares, his cry is that of 10000 men, and causes earthquakes, and changes from day to night. All that with a cry.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ShootingNova

@kingkronos: That's not the reason he wins.

kingkronos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kingkronos

Yes it is.....

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShootingNova

@kingkronos said:

Yes it is.....

No, it isn't. Read my first post.

justleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By justleader

@ShootingNova said:

@kingkronos: That's not the reason he wins.

Ares is very powerful in battle but his weakness is his rage, he doesnt think strategically he always just bursts into battle, i mean athena with the help of a demigod defeated ares. But his advantage is that he is the personification of war meaning if someone kills the other ares did it, so technically if tyr defeats Ares it's like Ares defeating himself