Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Space_Coyote

Strider vs. The Red Viper.

Battle takes place in a Roman arena.

Aragorn has Narsil, his armor from RoTK and a Gondorian shield.

Oberyn has his armor and his spear dipped in Manticore poison.

Aragorn is aware of the poison, but otherwise it is a random encounter to the death.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Space_Coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Space_Coyote

Phoenix down

steelhound56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By steelhound56

Oberyn has a great chance here. Aragorn is the physically bigger opponent, but Oberyn has the reach advantage with the spear.

Oberyn made The Mountain look like an idiot, who was 8 feet tall, and superhumanly strong. Oberyn danced around him in order to wear him down. Aragorn has almost superhuman endurance, but one nick from that spear means he's a dead man.

If Oberyn can resist gloating over his victory, he very well may take this. He seems faster and more agile than Aragorn does in a book to book comparison. They don't call him The Red Viper for nothing

Space_Coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Space_Coyote

@steelhound56 said:

Oberyn has a great chance here. Aragorn is the physically bigger opponent, but Oberyn has the reach advantage with the spear.

Oberyn made The Mountain look like an idiot, who was 8 feet tall, and superhumanly strong. Oberyn danced around him in order to wear him down. Aragorn has almost superhuman endurance, but one nick from that spear means he's a dead man.

If Oberyn can resist gloating over his victory, he very well may take this. He seems faster and more agile than Aragorn does in a book to book comparison. They don't call him The Red Viper for nothing

No doubt that one scratch would kill Aragorn, but it wouldn't be immediate. If I remember correctly it took a little while for the pokes to affect the Mountain. In the meantime Aragorn may be able to close the distance. I was thinking they may end up killing each other.

steelhound56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By steelhound56

Well, considering The Mountain was 8 feet tall and 360 pounds (30 stone?) of pure muscle, I would hope a few spear wounds wouldn't slow him...

Aragorn is tall at 6'6'', but not described as an overtly physical prescence in the books. While he is likely stronger than Oberyn, I highly doubt he is faster.

The Mountain may have been known for his great physical stature, but was also deceptively quick and had a massive reach. Oberyn casually danced around him while taunting him about the murders of Elia Martell and her children until The Mountain slowed enough for oberyn to inflict several spear wounds. Oberyn was strong enough to drive his spear completely through Gregor's full plate, which is described as so heavy that other men cannot move in it.

They may very well end up killing each other, but the manticore poison Oberyn used on Gregor was "thickened" to ensure Gregor died a slow, agonizing death. In a fight where he has no other considerations, Oberyn would use a faster acting poison to ensure victory.

Space_Coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Space_Coyote

Bump now that we've seen Oberyn in action

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rogueshadow  Moderator

Aragorn pretty easily, the guy takes on groups of Orcs, fights off Nazgul and is physically massively superior.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aragorn. Superior stats and feats.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aragorn

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump this, since its closer than it looks. If these are movie versions.

Cregan_Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aragorn should win convincingly TBH

Thanofleeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Movie versions is a even matchup, but I don't see Viper killing all the orcs Aragorn did during the trilogy.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penderor: movie aragorn still got stepped on by a troll, blocked thrown knives, and attacked lurtz at much higher speeds than what oberin is capable of.

Cregan_Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aragorn wins no doubt, Oberyn just doesn't have the feats in books or TV to contend with Aragorn. I do believe book Jaime might be a good match for Aragorn but not Oberyn.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Penderor

@princearagorn1: True, but he never showed any good fights against enemies with such speed+utlity as Oberyn have, plus he has no experience with enemies with such reach.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penderor: oberyn's speed feats have nothing on aragorn to begin with. Thrown knives, remember?

And nothing is stopping him from charging head first like he did after the explosion. That move should take care of the spear..

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aragorn every time

nerdchore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aragorn

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aragorn with little issue. He's bigger, stronger, faster, and has more stamina. He casually takes on entire hosts of orcs and uruk-hai at once without getting touched, which is a LOT more impressive than fighting a single human opponent, no matter how big and strong he is.

Even if it's just movie/TV versions Aragorn was dueling an armored orc in Return of the King. He even parried a few of the orc's blows, which puts him on an entirely different level of strength than what the Mountain has.

Baronu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't that the sword that can call forth the undead army?

this is hardly fair.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@princearagorn1: That charge was against less skiller opponent, with almost no maneuverability. And he deflected just ONE knife when he had a short time to focus on it. I dont remember any orc to be as fast as Oberyn.

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going with Aragorn here, if movie/show versions he takes it fairly easily book versions it's closer but I still give it to him.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aragorn

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penderor said:

@princearagorn1: That charge was against less skiller opponent, with almost no maneuverability. And he deflected just ONE knife when he had a short time to focus on it. I dont remember any orc to be as fast as Oberyn.

Inclined to say this will work just fine.

Loading Video...

He was on the ground and groggy when he did that.

Loading Video...

plus he is not dealing with the charge he follows with.

Facing and dying to the mountain is about nothing compared to this:

Space_Coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baronu said:

Isn't that the sword that can call forth the undead army?

this is hardly fair.

He can't just summon the undead army like he's in a Final Fantasy game. They helped him as a one time favor so that they could regain their honor.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Penderor

@princearagorn1: He was groggy, but he had plenty of time to prepare for it. Again, that spear charge is not matchable with Oberyn's fighting style. One thing that I quite dislike about lotr movies are facts like you posted ( Amon Hen). Uruks were just waiting for death. Only really impressive scenes when he fought on that hill top, was the dodging of the first uruk strike and then fight on that ancient building.

Oberyn uses acrobative movement and he has longer reach. I am willing to say that Aragorn is a little bit faster, but his style is just too smooth, without much of elegance. He looks to be adaptive in situations with multiple enemies, but struggles against one, whos more skilled than the regular minions (Lurtz, berserkers etc.)

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@penderor said:

@princearagorn1: He was groggy, but he had plenty of time to prepare for it. Again, that spear charge is not matchable with Oberyn's fighting style. One thing that I quite dislike about lotr movies are facts like you posted ( Amon Hen). Uruks are waiting to death. Only really impressive scenes when he fought on that hill top, was the dodging of the first uruk strike and then fight on that ancient building.

Oberyn uses acrobative movement and he has longer reach. I am willing to say that Aragorn is a little bit faster, but his style is just too smooth, without much of elegance. He looks to be adaptive in situations with multiple enemies, but struggles against one, whos more skilled than regular minions (Lurtz, berserkers etc.)

Jesus, this post is a mess. Consider fixing it, would you?

Nomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Nomar  Online

LotR Orcs are complete fodder. Showing someone taking on a big group of them can hardly be considered a feat. I look more at how the two of them fight and their techniques. fighting Orcs requires almost none. Fighting the Mountain is an entire different game. Based on how I've seen the two of them fight and their opponents. I would give it to Oberyn.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@nomar said:

LotR Orcs are complete fodder. Showing someone taking on a big group of them can hardly be considered a feat. I look more at how the two of them fight and their techniques. fighting Orcs requires almost none. Fighting the Mountain is an entire different game. Based on how I've seen the two of them fight and their opponents. I would give it to Oberyn.

lol. Those are not fodder orcs...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penderor: Your post was a mess. It would be a good idea to go over it and check for spelling and grammar errors.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Penderor

@squares: Errors like? Except that obvious death sentence?

@princearagorn1 True, these are Rhosgobel orcs! I'd like to see them try..

nerdchore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penderor: plenty of time to prepare? he was laying on the ground groggy and bloodied. He didnt know he would throw it ahead of time but he perfectly countered it.

Fighting urak-hai who dont fear death means that aragorn is used to fighting seriously and wont underestimate oberyn. where as oberyn like to play around.

Can you show feats for oberyn that allows him to contend with aragorns skill?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penderor said:

@princearagorn1: He was groggy, but he had plenty of time to prepare for it. Again, that spear charge is not matchable with Oberyn's fighting style. One thing that I quite dislike about lotr movies are facts like you posted ( Amon Hen). Uruks were just waiting for death. Only really impressive scenes when he fought on that hill top, was the dodging of the first uruk strike and then fight on that ancient building.

Oberyn uses acrobative movement and he has longer reach. I am willing to say that Aragorn is a little bit faster, but his style is just too smooth, without much of elegance. He looks to be adaptive in situations with multiple enemies, but struggles against one, whos more skilled than regular minions (Lurtz, berserkers etc.)

I'm not fixing it for you.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aragorn but it would be a nice fight.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Penderor

@squares: Most of these things are right lol.

noah_ouellette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steelhound56: Aragorn is the best swordsman in lotr.. That's really good.. Id say Aragorn takes this without a scratch

Nomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Nomar  Online

@steelhound56: Aragorn is the best swordsman in lotr.. That's really good.. Id say Aragorn takes this without a scratch

See the problem with statements like this is that you take a statement from one universe and think it holds any weight in another. I am not a LOTR buff or can remember everything from the books, so I'll take your word for it. I find it hard to believe he is the best swordsman in LOTR though.

Cregan_Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nomar: it certainly does hold weight in this argument due to GRRM being a big fan and using it as a basis for his series. GRRM holds Aragorn to the highest standards and compares to the best fighter in his world (Jaime).

Oberyn doesn't have the feats to be considered the winner here.

noah_ouellette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nomar: trust me I love got but I do believe Aragorn is one of the best human swordsman in all universes.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Penderor

@nerdchore: Lol. Thats not true. He watched Lurtz for few seconds before he threw it. He might had his mouth bloodied, but that doesnt mean anything. Also, you are saying that Oberyn likes to play around. And proof? None.

You want from me feats that Oberyn can contend with Aragorn? First show me feats that Aragorn CAN contend with Oberyn.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: Then dont fix it. Most of it is good anyway.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: I thought this page is about comics and fiction. Not about the grammar nazi.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penderor: "The" grammar Nazi? My friend, you severely underestimate our numbers.

No Caption Provided

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Penderor

@squares: How many of you is out there? Dozens?

Still cannot match with the millions of trolls and flamers. Sorry.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penderor: I'm not attempting to match anyone, what are you going on about now?

Arathorn_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penderor said:

@nerdchore: Lol. Thats not true. He watched Lurtz for few seconds before he threw it. He might had his mouth bloodied, but that doesnt mean anything. Also, you are saying that Oberyn likes to play around. And proof? None.

You want from me feats that Oberyn can contend with Aragorn? First show me feats that Aragorn CAN contend with Oberyn.

Seriously dude, if you're gonna use arguments like that, how do you expect to win any debate at all? xD