#1  Edited By SuperTide
whacknasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By whacknasty

I don't know too much about either one of these guys...  On his page here, it says Animal Man can emulate any animal found on Earth... 

Does Beast boy have a limit of just Earth based creatures?  I thought I read once that he can morph into anything he has seen or read about, so maybe that would open him up to more powerful options, assuming he has seen/studied some alien creatures in his time...

Avatar image for death_certificate
Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Death Certificate
@whacknasty said:
"I don't know too much about either one of these guys...  On his page here, it says Animal Man can emulate any animal found on Earth...  Does Beast boy have a limit of just Earth based creatures?  I thought I read once that he can morph into anything he has seen or read about, so maybe that would open him up to more powerful options, assuming he has seen/studied some alien creatures in his time... "
Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Video_Martian

I like both characters, but Beast Boy wins this one.

SuperTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By SuperTide

thanks death and mr.!

OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OmegaDynasty

I'm not sure about this from what I have seen in War of the Gods when he face against Circe's slaves which she transformed animals into humans and vica versa Animal man was able to reverse what she did.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ms__omega

In one issue I recall Animal Man was able to mimic alien animal species

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By texasdeathmatch

Too many Omega people!

whacknasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By whacknasty
@Ms. Omega said:
" In one issue I recall Animal Man was able to mimic alien animal species "
Oh! Well.. I'm back to 50/50 then... Would either one of them have stamina issues to worry about? Like too many morphs would exhaust them to the point of defeat?
Dark Noldor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1014

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Dark Noldor

Animal Man

Achilles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Achilles.

BB

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By Zoom

Beast Boy.  He's been doing this longer and he actually assumes the form of animals, meaning when he can turn into a fly to avoid an attack or turn into a T-Rex for some added reach whereas Animal is stuck as a human with animal powers. 

Also, Beast Boy can turn into extinct and even fictional animals, something Animal Man cannot do.
Avatar image for theindigoeffect
TheIndigoEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheIndigoEffect
@Zoom@Zoom said:
Beast Boy.  He's been doing this longer and he actually assumes the form of animals, meaning when he can turn into a fly to avoid an attack or turn into a T-Rex for some added reach whereas Animal is stuck as a human with animal powers.  Also, Beast Boy can turn into extinct and even fictional animals, something Animal Man cannot do.
Actually, Animal Man can assume the characteristics extinct animals, and in some cases, he can utilize the physical characteristics of animals, considering he was able to wield the claws of a wolverine. There's a whole list of animals that the aforementioned hero has borrowed his powers from on wikipedia, and since I recognize some of them from the Grant Morrison run, I would assume the others are legit.

Furthermore, Animal Man and Beast Boy both made their debut appearances in 1965, so I don't understand how Beast Boy would have an upper hand in terms of experience.

AM does have a huge advantage over BB, since he can mix and match the abilities that he acquires from different animals. Beast Boy, on the other hand, can only assume the role of one animal at a time. In other words, Animal Man could assume the speed of a Cheetah, combined with the durability of a T-Rex, and on top of that, he could add the sonic blast of a pistol shrimp. To top it all off, Animal Man isn't limited by range, so absorbing the power of the three beasts above is entirely possible. Outside of turning into a mythological animal, I don't see how Beast Boy would stand a chance.
PikminMania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By PikminMania
@TheIndigoEffect said:
@Zoom@Zoom said:
Beast Boy.  He's been doing this longer and he actually assumes the form of animals, meaning when he can turn into a fly to avoid an attack or turn into a T-Rex for some added reach whereas Animal is stuck as a human with animal powers.  Also, Beast Boy can turn into extinct and even fictional animals, something Animal Man cannot do.
Actually, Animal Man can assume the characteristics extinct animals, and in some cases, he can utilize the physical characteristics of animals, considering he was able to wield the claws of a wolverine. There's a whole list of animals that the aforementioned hero has borrowed his powers from on wikipedia, and since I recognize some of them from the Grant Morrison run, I would assume the others are legit.

Furthermore, Animal Man and Beast Boy both made their debut appearances in 1965, so I don't understand how Beast Boy would have an upper hand in terms of experience.

AM does have a huge advantage over BB, since he can mix and match the abilities that he acquires from different animals. Beast Boy, on the other hand, can only assume the role of one animal at a time. In other words, Animal Man could assume the speed of a Cheetah, combined with the durability of a T-Rex, and on top of that, he could add the sonic blast of a pistol shrimp. To top it all off, Animal Man isn't limited by range, so absorbing the power of the three beasts above is entirely possible. Outside of turning into a mythological animal, I don't see how Beast Boy would stand a chance.
Your right, Animal Man crushes BB
Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Killemall
@whacknasty said:
I don't know too much about either one of these guys...  On his page here, it says Animal Man can emulate any animal found on Earth...  Does Beast boy have a limit of just Earth based creatures?  I thought I read once that he can morph into anything he has seen or read about, so maybe that would open him up to more powerful options, assuming he has seen/studied some alien creatures in his time...
WELL GOTTA SAY MAKES A LOT OF SENSE!! 

@Zoom said:
Beast Boy FTW!!
Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zoom

As of Morrison's run on Animal Man, Buddy could not take powers from extinct animals.  He had to mentally feel the animal and acquire its abilities.  Supposedly, he got an upgrade from 52, though.  This is according to wikipedia, though, and wikipedia is not a reliable source.  I don't remember Animal Man getting a boost in 52 but he was a major character.  Scans of him doing this or using the powers of extinct animals or using their physical properties would all be a nice way to prove this but "check wikipedia" isn't. 

Beast Boy and Animal Man may have debuted at around the same time but while Beast Boy as a member of the Doom Patrol, Titans West and New Titans, Animal Man was a minor character who very rarely had adventures.  This is why Buddy barely saw himself as a "superhero" at the beginning of Morrison's Animal Man run and why he was so excited/daunted by the idea of joining the JLE.  Then, after Animal Man and JLE ended, Beast Boy remained with the Titans for all of Teen Titans volume 3, even leading the team for almost a year of comic time.  He still shows up every month in Teen Titans while Animal Man is at home, washing his tights.  Thus, Beast Boy has more experience than Animal Man. 

I think BB's experience shows in their fights, as Beast Boy's reaction to being attacked is to transform into something small and dodge.  Animal Man's reaction to getting attacked is to go "oh crap," flinch and maybe take something's durability. 

It isn't that Animal Man doesn't have some impressive powers (or isn't a worthwhile character, because he is) but of the three animal powered DC heroes, he's far and away the least experienced and I think either Beast Boy or Vixen would trash him more often than not. 

He can charge in with cheetah speed and T-Rex strength (maybe, I've never seen him do this) and then Beast Boy disappears only to show up behind him as a full sized T-Rex.

Avatar image for theindigoeffect
TheIndigoEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheIndigoEffect
@Zoom:  You're right, I should have considered all the other instances of Animal Man's inexperience. No matter what Animal Man's potential is, Beast Boy is better at what he does, and that pretty much stacks the deck in his favor.

As you said, I haven't seen Animal Man use the combination of abilities that I listed, but he should have the potential to do so. 

Assuming that Animal Man's training and experience were on par with Beast Boy's, do you think the outcome of the fight would be any different?
Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zoom

Well, if you just look at powers and not experience, it comes down to this: 

Beast Boy takes the forms of animals.  He can be as big as a T-Rex.  He can be as small as a fly.  This helps him dodge and gives him a reach advantage.

Animal Man takes the powers of animals without taking their forms.  This gives him the ability to leap higher, run faster, regenerate damage and generally hit harder than Beast Boy. 

I think the differences in their power sets even out unless Beast Boy turns into fictional animals (which really only happens when he's being mind controlled or is crazy with rage) and if you eliminate Beast Boy's higher competence with his powers, it'll go about 50/50.

bornstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bornstar

beastboy for the win. he can change in other creatures other than normal animals., creatures like dragon and dinosaur

Avatar image for killer_of_trolls
Killer_of_trolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Killer_of_trolls

BUMP!

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By termiteone4ever

I like both charcters but i am giving it the Guy in green

DrRenekton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DrRenekton

Beast boy can turn into aliens, I say that gives him a huge advantage he also has fought much more powerful foes. BB wins.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jeanroygrant

Beast Boy.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By Kallarkz

beast boy? Really?

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jeanroygrant

Beast Boy

Gooby_Gooberz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gooby_Gooberz

Animal man can only emulate earth animals, Beast Boy can turn into any animal even if its alien.

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hyperlight

if animal man can use more than one animal power at once than he might win.. if not then its more likely going to beast boy since he has experience

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Animal Man

sgu823

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sgu823

@gooby_gooberz: "In 52, Buddy experiences an upgrade that allows him to connect to the Universe's morphogenetic field, providing him unlimited access to all animals in the universe regardless of origin, making him one of the most powerful beings to ever exist."

Animal Man wins. Unless of course his powers changed again, then Beast Boy.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

BoringPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BoringPerson

Beast Boy has gotten weaker and Animal Man is nearly at is Pre-52 levels via JLU.

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't AM able to mimic a Sun-Eater? Pretty sure he stomps

TheAllAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

In Rotworld it said that beast boy was similar to animal man, but he has a stronger connection to the red. That's why he can morph into animals. So I'll have to go with Beast Boy on this one.

Artyom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KaraZor-el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Animal man cuts off beast boys connection to the red . good game.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 juiceboks  Moderator

In Rotworld it said that beast boy was similar to animal man, but he has a stronger connection to the red. That's why he can morph into animals. So I'll have to go with Beast Boy on this one.

When was that stated? That doesn't really make sense considering Buddy has other powers aside from taking on the abilities of animals, like immortality.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#38 JediXMan  Moderator

Wasn't Animal Man able to gain the powers of cosmic space whales or something?

RootsUnderdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morals off BB would crush, just tossing that out there. I mean BB has killed morals on, but I guess more in character, this would be a close fight. Animal man does do some cool combinations (reactions of a fly is always nice) but I think all together BB would win about 6/10. His durability isn't restricted to the animal he turns into, as a small bird he's been thrown through boulders and been fine, so as a T-Rex his durability is insane (I recall him taking hits from Superboy as a T-Rex). He can also vary the size of the animal he turns into, so he could become a giant pistol shrimp (I saw that higher up in the posts) and wreck Animal Man. Worst comes to worse he could go hybrid and that's game over

Avatar image for captainmarvelthunder
CaptainMarvelThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Animal Man. Hasn't he been like as powerful as a kryptonian or something.

beastboy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By beastboy77

Beast boy

BlueBeetle1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: yea. He can use powers from alien and earth animals alike

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Animal Man vs Beast Boy is like Swamp Thing vs Poison Ivy.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BB stomps.

BB as in Buddy Baker.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Buddy wins it.

Dhumraketu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Dhumraketu

Animal Man and Beast Boy both use the "Red" as the source of their powers. Beast Boy is limited to assuming powers and attributes of animals. Animal Man is capable of doing that to a lesser extent, but can also control animals through it. Since 52 Animal Man has had far more control over the Red to an extent far exceeding BB's. In any fight using the same power source I have to give it to the person who has greater control over it.

BB is, however, often underestimated. This fight merely creates a situation which exploits his source of power.

jas0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Animal Man wins, he can transmutate parts of an animal body to his body this was showed in ST #26 in the same issue he won a fight against Jason Woodrue as the Avatar of the Green (remember that in the New 52 universe, Jason is more experienced than Alec in terms of having the power of the green.)

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Animal Man.

jas0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Animal man can use regenerative animals to heal himself, if there's a worm close to him, he can heal all his wounds, and he can also mix Animal powers, Buddy is in real advantage.